• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 11 24H2

Windows 11 24H2 update faces gaming issues

Windows 11 24H2 has two major known gaming-related issues: Asphalt 8 occasionally crashes after installing the update, while users running a version of the Easy Anti-Cheat app released before April 2024 get a ‘MEMORY_MANAGEMENT’ BSOD error

Because of these issues, the systems with these apps are on compatibility hold, so you cannot get the 24H2 via the built-in Windows Update app...furthermore, if you try to upgrade an affected computer via other methods, you’ll get a warning that your PC is not ready for the latest Windows 11 version...

https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...ions-of-easy-anti-cheat-on-compatibility-hold
 
users running a version of the Easy Anti-Cheat app released before April 2024 get a ‘MEMORY_MANAGEMENT’ BSOD error

I cringe at the thought of what this "Anti-Cheat app" is doing in the background; I doubt it's Microsoft's fault that it's causing issues.

If one fringe game and one shady "Anti-Cheat app" are the only gaming-related issues that stand out so far, then things are looking pretty good IMO.
 
I cringe at the thought of what this "Anti-Cheat app" is doing in the background; I doubt it's Microsoft's fault that it's causing issues.

If one fringe game and one shady "Anti-Cheat app" are the only gaming-related issues that stand out so far, then things are looking pretty good IMO.

it's not a shady app...it's the anti-cheat app that a lot of multiplayer games use
 
Easy Anti-Cheat is pretty widespread, but luckily most apps keep it up to date. I noticed that Elden Ring just rolled out an update that updates the version it uses.
 
it's not a shady app...it's the anti-cheat app that a lot of multiplayer games use
more shady as in root kit level permissions. So if MS is making changes on kernel level access, wonder how this may affect said anti-cheat systems going forward.
 
Just read Stardock's Fences not sure about their other programs like Windowblinds are supported in Win 24H2. I'm downloading it now in USB but think I'll hold off before I do a clean install.
 
My auto install USB drive doesn't work with 24H2
Unattended install with only the os pick menu via the ei.cfg file in \Sources, was working great with 23H2..boot to USB, pick the OS, XML file did everything else.
Looks like when doing an install now with 24H2, there is a 'new' setup page...I had a link to go to 'previous setup' and it brought back the normal install prompts.
 
Used Windows Installation Assistant and upgraded to 24H2. It did not take long at all. Windows Update did not have 24H2 and I saw no need to wait for Windows to get around to it.
 
I'll likely wait until win 10 is officially eol. I'm not experiencing any bugs and this gives win 11 more time to work out their s
I've been on Win 11 since Day 1 release. I have had no issues outside of things like the Windows Store demanding that it constantly screw with my Radeon installations. I just gave up updated it from AMD and let the bastard do its thing, and its been less of a headache since then.

Otherwise, 11 is and has been, solid.
 
Used Windows Installation Assistant and upgraded to 24H2. It did not take long at all.
This is what I did last night on Surface Laptop 4 AMD. No issues, but haven't looked around in it to see what has changed for better or worse lol.
 
If I had to guess, the day to day changes most people would notice = the right click context menu and the new "quick settings" menu. I guess the WiFi section now truly refreshes, too, but you wouldn't necessarily know that. The other stuff you might not ever notice, like compressing to less-common formats and Sudo.
 
I tried the update; Unfortunately it affected a game I'm currently playing and uninstalled it. Will just wait until Windows update recommends it to me.
 
Just upgraded to 24H2 USB method used the option keep all files. Launched two games Witchfire and Wartales both didn't have a hitch.


IMG_20241008_123452007.jpg

That cold feeling you know something can go wrong.
 
Both of my systems are on 24H2, one using the Installation Assistant and the other a registry edit to force it through Windows Update.

Not trouble here, I'm just enjoying an understandable Cut/Copy/Paste again.
 
Not trouble here, I'm just enjoying an understandable Cut/Copy/Paste again.
Not running :

Code:
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" -Name "(Default)" -Value "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll" -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\ShellFolder" -Name "Attributes" -Value 30 -PropertyType DWORD -Force


First thing on a windows 11 system was being a bit of a masochist I feel like, maybe not so much for copy-paste-cut that have well known shortcut (which can still be fun to have with a mouse on a laptop or something), but your other options as well..
 
Not running :

Code:
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" -Name "(Default)" -Value "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll" -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\ShellFolder" -Name "Attributes" -Value 30 -PropertyType DWORD -Force


First thing on a windows 11 system was being a bit of a masochist I feel like, maybe not so much for copy-paste-cut that have well known shortcut (which can still be fun to have with a mouse on a laptop or something), but your other options as well..
I don't know what that means.
 
I don't know what that means.
Windows 11 always had from the start a registry option to remove the right click, show more options 2 click sequences to access all of your right-click submenu, to behave and look like windows 10.
 
Windows 11 always had from the start a registry option to remove the right click, show more options 2 click sequences to access all of your right-click submenu, to behave and look like windows 10.
Oh, sure, but it was the ugly old style.
 
Not running :

Code:
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" -Name "(Default)" -Value "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll" -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\ShellFolder" -Name "Attributes" -Value 30 -PropertyType DWORD -Force


First thing on a windows 11 system was being a bit of a masochist I feel like, maybe not so much for copy-paste-cut that have well known shortcut (which can still be fun to have with a mouse on a laptop or something), but your other options as well..
How do I run this?
 
I have noticed that after this update, my Bose USB speakers go into sleep mode after literally 2 minutes of nothing coming out of them. Before, to put them in sleep mode, I had to click the cradle. Now it is automatic.
 
Best thing so far with the update Copy and Paste is better with right click with buttons easily id.
 
Last edited:
I like that Microsoft finally improved security of some parts of kernel by using Rust for programming. They also added a feature about which I can't find any information. That feature is "Hypervisor-Enforced Paging Translation". Does anyone know what it does?

Anti-cheat software systems are the ones that is getting out-of-hand, not Windows protection. Easy Anti-Cheat, BattlEye, and other kernel-mode anti-cheating applications want way too much access. None of them play well with Core Isolation and they especially don't like Kernel-Mode Hardware-Enforced Stack Protection. I have to limit myself to online games that exlusively use Valve's Anti-Cheat system for PC. On gaming consoles I am OK with kernel-mode anti-cheating systems because I don't keep important information on such devices.
 
Now that I've been running this for a few weeks, I've definitely noticed some interesting issues with it.
One of the larger ones is that it partially breaks safe mode. It keeps throwing pin errors, even on clean installs. In some cases, it ends up causing boot-loops. The guy who made Display Driver Uninstaller (which utilizes safe mode) has even had to make updates to account for this. There are some partial work-arounds by turning off Windows Hello and using the built-in admin account, but they don't work for everyone.
Another one I've encountered is that it'll keep dishing out recommendations and "frequently used programs" on the Start Menu even if that's completely disabled. Even via the registry and policy editor.
A 3rd one that actually IS fixable, is that the HDR toggle randomly stops working. To bring it back, you have to disable "automatically manage color for apps" buried in the display section. Of course that option is enabled by default, too.
 
No issues with HDR or gaming stuff here. The only issue I've had on my personal machine is with Nvidia Broadcast opening randomly; I don't have any AV recording devices connected, but Broadcast insists on randomly opening. Setting the "NVIDIA Broadcast LocalSystem Container" service to manual start mitigates the issue, but then you need to start that service before launching Broadcast.

Based on the business-related issues I keep reading, I'm really glad I've not pushed this out at work yet. I hate that they've gotten away from the enablement packages, so yet again I'm deploying a 4GB update that takes an eternity to install.
 
No issues with HDR or gaming stuff here. The only issue I've had on my personal machine is with Nvidia Broadcast opening randomly; I don't have any AV recording devices connected, but Broadcast insists on randomly opening. Setting the "NVIDIA Broadcast LocalSystem Container" service to manual start mitigates the issue, but then you need to start that service before launching Broadcast.

Based on the business-related issues I keep reading, I'm really glad I've not pushed this out at work yet. I hate that they've gotten away from the enablement packages, so yet again I'm deploying a 4GB update that takes an eternity to install.

So far, 24H2 is working quite well on my system. That said, I am still amazed that a company that can make a great HDR implementation on their XBox Series X and S still cannot do a good job on the own Windows OS. Well on the main screen on the XBox, HDR is not on and then when a game starts, HDR turns on, or at least the HDR implementation looks good on the main XBox Screen. However, on the Windows Desktop, it looks usually bad, depending on the monitor, which is why, for games, I just do the Windows Key Alt B to turn on HDR for my game, play my game and then turn HDR off when done. Why they have not found a way to have HDR automatically start for when a game is ran is beyond me. If I am wrong, please let me know, I would enjoy having that occur, thanks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: djoye
like this
So far, 24H2 is working quite well on my system. That said, I am still amazed that a company that can make a great HDR implementation on their XBox Series X and S still cannot do a good job on the own Windows OS. Well on the main screen on the XBox, HDR is not on and then when a game starts, HDR turns on, or at least the HDR implementation looks good on the main XBox Screen. However, on the Windows Desktop, it looks usually bad, depending on the monitor, which is why, for games, I just do the Windows Key Alt B to turn on HDR for my game, play my game and then turn HDR off when done. Why they have not found a way to have HDR automatically start for when a game is ran is beyond me. If I am wrong, please let me know, I would enjoy having that occur, thanks.
HDR has sucked for me on Windows since HDR on Windows was a thing.
 
So far, 24H2 is working quite well on my system. That said, I am still amazed that a company that can make a great HDR implementation on their XBox Series X and S still cannot do a good job on the own Windows OS. Well on the main screen on the XBox, HDR is not on and then when a game starts, HDR turns on, or at least the HDR implementation looks good on the main XBox Screen. However, on the Windows Desktop, it looks usually bad, depending on the monitor, which is why, for games, I just do the Windows Key Alt B to turn on HDR for my game, play my game and then turn HDR off when done. Why they have not found a way to have HDR automatically start for when a game is ran is beyond me. If I am wrong, please let me know, I would enjoy having that occur, thanks.
Is the control panel still present?
 
Is there a list of all pre-installed applications and bloatware for 24H2 (US Region)? I plan on updating with a clean install, but writing a powershell script to remove the stuff I don't need first.
 
Back
Top