• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 11 24H2

I prefer to do it myself, but looking over his listed of applications is helpful. Thanks
It gets rid of most things. The stuff it misses I just manually uninstall. It saves a lot of time. But yeah, the list is also helpful if you're planning to do it yourself
 
I absolutely hate 24H2. I fresh installed it from a new installation media on my X870 rig because wifi 7 (which has drivers that don't work on any previous version of 10 or 11 because reasons), it feels like I'm running the OS in a virtual machine on a computer from 1997. Everything is soooooooo slow and laggy. Just sitting on an empty desktop a right click takes 15-20 seconds to open a menu. Opening Steam? 2-3 minutes of twiddling your thumbs and sometimes it will open and just close itself again. Its so awful I just put the tower on the floor in the corner and went back to my 13700K on Windows 10.
 
Everything is soooooooo slow and laggy. Just sitting on an empty desktop a right click takes 15-20 seconds to open a menu. Opening Steam? 2-3 minutes of twiddling your thumbs and sometimes it will open and just close itself again.

I've never experienced these symptoms on any system that I've run 24H2 on, or heard of anyone else experiencing these symptoms. What makes you so certain that the OS is at fault here? It sounds more like what you would experience if your CPU was throttling, or your HDD/SSD was dying.
 
I've never experienced these symptoms on any system that I've run 24H2 on, or heard of anyone else experiencing these symptoms. What makes you so certain that the OS is at fault here? It sounds more like what you would experience if your CPU was throttling, or your HDD/SSD was dying.

Its been one of the top complaints since Windows 11 came out. A quick google search for "Windows 11 feels slow" will bring you literally millions of results.
 
I've never experienced these symptoms on any system that I've run 24H2 on, or heard of anyone else experiencing these symptoms. What makes you so certain that the OS is at fault here? It sounds more like what you would experience if your CPU was throttling, or your HDD/SSD was dying.
Yeah. Something else is going on here.
 
A quick google search for "Windows 11 feels slow" will bring you literally millions of results.

When you search for a predetermined conclusion, you're going to be able to find google "results" to support basically anything.

Its been one of the top complaints since Windows 11 came out.

You think that this:

sitting on an empty desktop a right click takes 15-20 seconds to open a menu. Opening Steam? 2-3 minutes of twiddling your thumbs

is one of the most common complaints about Windows 11?

It's not.

And to be clear, are we talking about 24H2, or are we just talking about "Windows 11" now? What actual troubleshooting have you done? Have you tried installing Windows 11 23H2 or Windows 10 22H2 for testing purposes? I'm trying to understand why you seem so hyper-focused on the OS as the source of your problems.
 
When you search for a predetermined conclusion, you're going to be able to find google "results" to support basically anything.



You think that this:



is one of the most common complaints about Windows 11?

It's not.

And to be clear, are we talking about 24H2, or are we just talking about "Windows 11" now? What actual troubleshooting have you done? Have you tried installing Windows 11 23H2 or Windows 10 22H2 for testing purposes? I'm trying to understand why you seem so hyper-focused on the OS as the source of your problems.

Because it is the source of the problems. I started at 22H2 on 10 which was perfect, then I realized there were no wifi drivers that worked on 10 so I used my older 11 22H2 ISO and installed that on a spare drive. Gigabyte's drivers still did not work even after updating to 23H2 and the OS refused to upgrade to 24H2 by itself so I had to do another fresh install with the new ISO. Now the latency just got worse (even with core isolation off), and this isn't the first time I've seen it this bad in 11. I've built dozens if not hundreds of PCs with 11 and its very consistently a laggy piece of shit. Its also VERY inconsistent between installs, you can do fresh starts 10 times in a row on the same machine and get 10 different levels of stability and lagginess. This has even become a big problem for reviewers like GN and HUB, they've specifically called this out because its become such an issue complicating the review process for hardware.
 
I've built dozens if not hundreds of PCs with 11 and its very consistently a laggy piece of shit. Its also VERY inconsistent between installs, you can do fresh starts 10 times in a row on the same machine and get 10 different levels of stability and lagginess.

I've also built literally hundreds of Windows 11 systems at this point and I've never seen what you describe even once unless there was an underlying hardware or driver issue at play. Are you installing the latest chipset drivers directly from AMD?

This has even become a big problem for reviewers like GN and HUB, they've specifically called this out because its become such an issue complicating the review process for hardware.

I've seen reports of inconsistencies with 23H2 before the Zen fix was implemented in 24H2 and later in 23H2, but not an overall Windows 11 issue. What video(s) are you talking about?
 
Well, I'm dual booting my current system with windows 10 and 11.

I had to reinstall the windows 11 and now I can't seem to get it to activate?

It was the first time I had it installed dual booting.

It's the 11 pro and I've tried 3 different windows 10 pro keys and none of them will allow 11 to activate.

Any suggestions?
 
Because it is the source of the problems. I started at 22H2 on 10 which was perfect, then I realized there were no wifi drivers that worked on 10 so I used my older 11 22H2 ISO and installed that on a spare drive. Gigabyte's drivers still did not work even after updating to 23H2 and the OS refused to upgrade to 24H2 by itself so I had to do another fresh install with the new ISO. Now the latency just got worse (even with core isolation off), and this isn't the first time I've seen it this bad in 11. I've built dozens if not hundreds of PCs with 11 and its very consistently a laggy piece of shit. Its also VERY inconsistent between installs, you can do fresh starts 10 times in a row on the same machine and get 10 different levels of stability and lagginess. This has even become a big problem for reviewers like GN and HUB, they've specifically called this out because its become such an issue complicating the review process for hardware.
I've installed it on hundreds of PCs as it's what I do for work, and I haven't had lag on any of these PCs, even on unsupported hardware. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but what you're saying is not objectively true for everyone.

Well, I'm dual booting my current system with windows 10 and 11.

I had to reinstall the windows 11 and now I can't seem to get it to activate?

It was the first time I had it installed dual booting.

It's the 11 pro and I've tried 3 different windows 10 pro keys and none of them will allow 11 to activate.

Any suggestions?
Yeah: https://massgrave.dev
 
Holy shit bro!!!!!

Worked like a champ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing that link. ;););)
No problem. There's clearly an ethical issue with using it, but if you already bought a key, and your purchased key isn't working, then I don't see a problem using it. It's also legitimately registering your PC with Microsoft, so there's nothing weird going on.
 
Because it is the source of the problems. I started at 22H2 on 10 which was perfect, then I realized there were no wifi drivers that worked on 10 so I used my older 11 22H2 ISO and installed that on a spare drive. Gigabyte's drivers still did not work even after updating to 23H2 and the OS refused to upgrade to 24H2 by itself so I had to do another fresh install with the new ISO. Now the latency just got worse (even with core isolation off), and this isn't the first time I've seen it this bad in 11. I've built dozens if not hundreds of PCs with 11 and its very consistently a laggy piece of shit. Its also VERY inconsistent between installs, you can do fresh starts 10 times in a row on the same machine and get 10 different levels of stability and lagginess. This has even become a big problem for reviewers like GN and HUB, they've specifically called this out because its become such an issue complicating the review process for hardware.
If it was the source, every single Win 11 user would be affected, which they are not. I run Win 11 24H2 on a HP laptop (AMD 5 series) and virtual machines under Vmware workstation on linux and have not experienced said performance issue you are having. Also have about 20 devices with other employee's, which have not noted any such issues either, so no, Win 11 24H2 is not specifically the problem here.
 
My gripe on fresh 24h2 installs is windows sharing with anything on 23h2 is an issue and was requiring me to create a username and password for the share until I found a power shell command and some other firewall settings to change.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-with-smb-in-windows-11-24h2-may-fail/4154300

Only an issue at home. The work domain is fine.
There's about 800 million reasons to dunk on 24H2, but slowness has not been one of them.


Edit: Oh look, a new one!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ent-windows-11-updates-break-ssh-connections/
 
On the plus side of things, either MS or Nvidia fixed the issues I was having where my screen would flip out if I got a notification while playing a game. Safe mode still seems borked, but I only need to use that once in a blue moon, if ever.
 
Well, I think I figured out why I haven't been seeing the 24H2 update on my i7-12700K machine. For various reasons (mostly I am an idiot) I play crossout, which has the stupid Easy Anti-Cheat software and it seems older versions makes machines BSOD w/ 24H2... apparently the solution is to wait for someone to update something and cure the issue... or possibly the better Idea? uninstall this time sucking play pay to win game anyway?
Amusingly game DRM like Easy Anti-Cheat do not work at all on Linux apparently so If you want to play these games you at least need to dual boot / run windows to play... I absolutely despise client side DRM on games ..etc...


Easy Anti-Cheat BSOD​


For devices running Easy Anti-Cheat, which is required by popular games like Fortnite, the update may lead to system crashes.
This issue affects devices with Intel's Alder Lake+ processors and vPro technology, specifically when using outdated Easy Anti-Cheat drivers.
To mitigate this, Microsoft has temporarily paused the update for devices with older drivers.
You can try updating your games or drivers to begin seeing the update.
 
Last edited:
play to win game
Sounds good to me! ;) For the win 24h2 update to install, your game's dev needs to update easy anticheat to a newer version that supports it.

Older versions can cause bsod on 24h2 which is why you aren't getting the windows update. Or you can just quit the game and uninstall if you dislike fairness in games ;).
 
Windows 11 24H2 update blocked on PCs with Assassin's Creed, Star Wars Outlaws (Ubisoft games)

Microsoft is blocking the Windows 11 24H2 update on computers with some Ubisoft games, like Assassin's Creed, Star Wars Outlaws, and Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, after changes in the operating system cause the games to crash, freeze, or have audio issues...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ate-on-pcs-assassins-creed-star-wars-outlaws/
 
Microsoft is blocking the Windows 11 24H2 update

That makes for good clickbait headlines I guess, but this was always planned as a "phased rollout" based on compatibility criteria. This only applies to people who are waiting for it to be served to them via Windows Update. Microsoft isn't "blocking" anything, as there are still multiple ways to manually update to 24H2 if you want to.
 
At home, I am actually started to not like using Windows of any kind, strictly at home. The 24H2 clean install is all set to encrypt the drives with Bitlocker but will not until the Microsoft Account is logged into. At work, I do not care, as long as everything is working but, at home, MacOS has become my go to and has more or less worked the same for the last 24 years. Seriously though, I never thought I would find myself moving away from Windows at home.
 
At home, I am actually started to not like using Windows of any kind, strictly at home. The 24H2 clean install is all set to encrypt the drives with Bitlocker but will not until the Microsoft Account is logged into. At work, I do not care, as long as everything is working but, at home, MacOS has become my go to and has more or less worked the same for the last 24 years. Seriously though, I never thought I would find myself moving away from Windows at home.
How do you manage the mental gyrations needed to constantly switch between Windows and MacOS? Ever find yourself doing something on one OS that is properly done on the other OS?
 
If gaming wasn't so tightly tethered to Windows I would have bailed a decade ago. Things are starting to spread out, but not enough for me to have a comparable experience elsewhere. I use Macs at work and would be more than happy to switch to that OS for everything else.
 
How do you manage the mental gyrations needed to constantly switch between Windows and MacOS? Ever find yourself doing something on one OS that is properly done on the other OS?

I am usually pretty good at separating the two but, I still find myself using ctrl v ctrl c and ctrl p on the Mac. :D
 
If gaming wasn't so tightly tethered to Windows I would have bailed a decade ago. Things are starting to spread out, but not enough for me to have a comparable experience elsewhere. I use Macs at work and would be more than happy to switch to that OS for everything else.

I game literally so little now that I do not notice the difference. Besides, I have a Series X so if I really want to game, I can do so there.
 
I am usually pretty good at separating the two but, I still find myself using ctrl v ctrl c and ctrl p on the Mac. :D
Like 25 years ago I worked at Sun Microsystems. The standard Sun keyboard has CNTL and another "control" key in different positions than on PC keyboards. I was OK with Solaris and the GUI on top of Solaris, but using different keyboards and home and work drove me crazy. So IT gave me a Sun keyboard that matches the PC layout. That made me more productive.
 
Does anyone know how to disable DNS Cache service without breaking Windows ability to resolve domains? You can disable that service in previous versions of Windows 10 and 11 and domain resolution continues to work. In Win 24H2, disabling that service (via registry) prevents Windows from resolving domains.

This is a major issue because:
1. Windows Firewall can't stop resolution on per-application basis with DNS Cache service enabled. This is because DNS Cache is part of SvcHost.exe and SvcHost.exe acts as middle-man process that performs domain resolution on behalf of applications. Blocking DNS Cache requires blocking SvcHost.exe and that makes domain resolution impossible. When DNS Cache service is disabled in Windows versions prious to Win11 24H2, applications themselves make domain resolution and blocking applications in Windows Firewall results in domain resolution block only for blocked applications, not entire Windows OS. Disabling DNS Cache service in Win11 24H2 (unlike in previous versions) does not allow applications to perform their own domain resolution. Win11 24H2 forces all applications to use DNS Cache service and SvcHost.exe.
2. You can't create large hosts files with many entries because such large hosts slows down entire OS to a point of 0-responsiveness for prolonged time it takes DNS Cache service to cache hosts file entries. Without DNS Cache service large hosts file with many entries slow down live domain resolution because they aren't cached, but they don't prevent OS from becoming unresponsive.

Finding a way to stop DNS Cache service without breaking domain resolution and posting it here would be awesome!
 
How do you manage the mental gyrations needed to constantly switch between Windows and MacOS? Ever find yourself doing something on one OS that is properly done on the other OS?
I can’t answer for him, but there’s no confusion for me (work is macOS and home is Windows). I do occasionally try to use the corporate MacBook as a touchscreen and have to remind myself that it’s not my tablet… :oldman:
 
Did 24H2 break the already shitty search function? It wont find a damn thing on my pc and wants to search the web for everything.
 
Never thought I would say this but, on a professional level, Windows 11 is good enough, not great but good enough. However, on a personal level, insofar as gaming goes, it is absolutely terrible and not a gaming OS at all, let alone a good one. Greg Salazar on youtube created a Debloating Windows 11 video which essentially walks us through creating a autounattend.xml file well using this https://schneegans.de/windows/unattend-generator/ to simplify things. (Yes, it is legit and no, it does not do malware or spread malware.) You copy the autounattend.xml file to the root of the drive created by the Windows Media Creation Tool, install and that is it.

One cool thing is it makes Edge uninstallable, if that is what you want, and I did. By doing this debloating, I literally got 10% more performance in 3d Mark benchmarks and the games I tried, at least so far. I only use it for gaming anyways so I do not need all the extra garbage for that.

Edit: Also, not sure how much this helps but I intentionally installed the AMD drivers only and did not bother installing the control panel.
 
Last edited:
Never thought I would say this but, on a professional level, Windows 11 is good enough, not great but good enough
Yeah. Works for me.

.Greg Salazar on youtube created a Debloating Windows 11 video which essentially walks us through creating a autounattend.xml file well using this https://schneegans.de/windows/unattend-generator/ to simplify things. (Yes, it is legit and no, it does not do malware or spread malware.) You copy the autounattend.xml file to the root of the drive created by the Windows Media Creation Tool, install and that is it.
Very cool. I don't know how much time it woudl take me to do this autounattend.xml file. I like that I can also use it for Win 10, since I'm ready to pull the trigger on Win 11 quite yet. SWMBO needs to agree first. :)
One cool thing is it makes Edge uninstallable, if that is what you want
i use Firefox

, and I did. By doing this debloating, I literally got 10% more performance in 3d Mark benchmarks

Very, very nice. Like "overclocking" the OS. :)
 
I absolutely hate 24H2. I fresh installed it from a new installation media on my X870 rig because wifi 7 (which has drivers that don't work on any previous version of 10 or 11 because reasons), it feels like I'm running the OS in a virtual machine on a computer from 1997. Everything is soooooooo slow and laggy. Just sitting on an empty desktop a right click takes 15-20 seconds to open a menu. Opening Steam? 2-3 minutes of twiddling your thumbs and sometimes it will open and just close itself again. Its so awful I just put the tower on the floor in the corner and went back to my 13700K on Windows 10.

Same here. I first upgraded to it from Win11 22H2 then did a fresh install only to find the same stuttering in games and increased input lag. 14700K and 7900XTX.

I think it's related to DPCs or system timers because LatMon has never given me the red "your system can't even stream audio consistently" until 24H2. I'll give it one more reformat, but if it's the same I'll have to retreat back to 10 again.
 
I had 24H2 installed just a few days ago, but it just seemed laggy on my Dell G5 5505 Gaming Laptop. I'm also dealing with all the Dell crap on this laptop. I'm not ready to reinstall yet, so I use task manager to kill the Dell process. It takes about 3 tries before they are terminated until the next reboot.
As for 24H2, I'm going to postpone it for a while before I try it again.
 
Back
Top