Why We DC

I fold because it does good science aimed at preventing, curing and managing many terrible diseases. It also furthers our general understanding of genetics.

I also hope that it'll turn the condition I have, intersexuality, into something more than just an 'accident', but something which can be fully understood and hopefully allow for (genetic) treatments to make life for people like me just that much easier.

People in general don't want to see that which isn't part of 'what is right'. They don't want to see cancer, they don't want to see Parkinson's, they don't want to see the babies born with genetic defects which will make their short lives a living hell, they don't want to see those who are different from 'normal' men and women. This kind of research breaks through that taboo and makes society just that much more humane.

Fold on for the future of mankind :)

My aunt just passed from a very long battle with auto immune not even an hour ago. She was in her early 50s. My cousins are taking is quite hard.

Fold on brothers and sisters, for we try and make tomorrow better than today.

Oo, sry to hear K

Well, I do it for the shiny points!

Actually, I was diagnosed with an auto immune deficency (or disease, whatever it is) on thanksgiving. While listed as moderate and with severe flare ups, it's not as bad as some, I still live a mostly normallife (with a totally new diet now :) )

Anyways, someone here showed me some tests showing my disease can be caused by proteins misfolding so I guess this is me helping myself as well. Obviously there are tens of thousands of more needy people than I, but when the power bill comes in it helps to explain it as research to cure my disease. Who knows, maybe they'll actually learn something from all this :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I fold for everyone who has felt pain from a death that may be prevented by this research. I never really *thought* about why i started until now... it was right around the time my grandmother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

Either way, I will fold as best I can for the rest of my natural life, in whatever capacity I can spare. Aside I also love the points. Coming from dead last to now top 600, soon to be top 500 makes me feel a part of something big as well as confident that my cyles are well placed.

About to start -bigadv work units to help even more.

I fold to help find ways to tone done alot of life ruining diseases and defects.

I have ausburgers, my nephew has full blown autism. I have alot of friends who have issues, Elledan for one.....

My reason for folding is so, even though we may not reap the benefits now... my son hopefully will never have the issues I had to deal with.

I fold for my family to be! And I fold for this family I have, right here, with my brothers of the [H]orde! Fold on!

mmmmm,

one more reason.

My assistant manager just got told today that that mole.......

was pre-cancerous

He folds for another team tho...(good on him tho)

We fold for those that cannot fold for themselves.

I fold for my best friend who died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma almost six years ago at the ripe old age of 34.

I fold for my wife's uncle who just had cancer take him early.

I do it and take pride in it because after every WU I submit I hope and pray that it will help somewhere, somehow.

I also fold because it keeps the basement warm, but that's just being selfish :)

I fold for my mother who passed away 5 years ago this August.
I fold for my father in law I never met who passed away when my wife was only 13.
I fold for my mother in law who survived cancer 15 years ago, but is susceptible to it again.
I fold for those I've never met who fight a fight that is tough and uphill.

I fold in the hopes of a cure.

My friend's dad died of leukemia last week.

The beast is alive and well.

Carry on bro, carry on, all I can say really
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

This thread never gets easier to read.

I seem to have missed one over the years. A father figure of the SWMBO, who lost to Alzheimers.

Grandmother with Parkinson's, same with God Parents(one with Parkinson's, one had cancer)

Both of my grandparents died of cancer, as well as my father and father in law.

One of my longest friends' mother has severe Alzheimer's--as in, bedridden using a single functional finger to have a Hawking-esque computer voice speak preset phrases, while looking and sounding like she's asleep in a "The Matrix" pod, severe. I knew her as a child and vividly remember her running and WINNING community marathons and fun-runs. Hell, she is the founder of the most reputable no-kill animal shelter in my area, and the household always had several dogs, cats, and various other huggables and critters when I romped their as a child. Now I refuse to even visit the house he used to live at because the sight is disheartening.

I don't do this for free bullshit or to win a digital-dick-measuring contest. Had this project existed decades ago, this woman might be walking or--hell--maybe using vocal cords today. It is my most sincere hope that this project's work helps the research that is needed.

And I'll get off my soapbox now.

Here is what I have:

What does folding mean to me? Why should I get involved? Those are not questions I really cared about until I hit my mid 30s when suddenly, or so it seemed, a lot of the people that I know, family, friends, acquintances all started to be diagnosed with cancer. Folding@home looks at the root causes protein folding (mis-folding) which is involved in cancer as well as numerous other diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's disease...You might not think that it will make a difference in your life but it is a mathematical certainty that you or a loved one, or someone you care about will be stricken by one of these diseases. Please help scientists understand these diseases better by helping out by simply joining Team 33 with your folding client! It's simple, it doesn't get in the way, and by joining Team 33 you will be joining a family of folders right here on [H]ardOCP.

What he said.

got parkinson in my family,both my grandfathers.
my dearest aunt got cancer,but she is ok as it seems.
other relatives have had cancer,most of them got well but lost bodyparts in the process, breast-cancer for several.

I fold because the dragon must be slayed... will be slayed....

let's get this over with.

Some people call me the Stanford cowboy yeah
Some call me the gangster of folding
Some people call me Maurice
Cause' I speak of the pompatous of folding

I'm an IT guy that ended up getting a job in a hospital as a PACS systems administrator "Medical Imaging stuff". I don't have any kind of medical degree, but I really saw first hand how people that are into computers / information technology really do make a difference in health care. I realized that I could help the world by just being my geeky self :)

So now I help the world to the best of my ability. And that means fixing things and folding :)

said it once, will say it again

I fold in the hope that one day my PC may have helped with research into a cure/treatment for Parkinson's

I fold for my Uncle who passed 10 years ago to cancer.
I fold for my grandfather who has leukemia and suffers greatly.
I fold for those that have lost family and friends to these diseases.
Most of all I fold for my son in that there might be a cure if his time were to come.

That's why I fold!!

Why do you fold?

Lots of recent craziness in the world of Folding at Home.

Shall we put some things in perspective?

Good timing Pocatello.

I've been working as a Radiology Technologist for the last 30 years and have seen a lot of stuff (Cancer, Parkinsons, Alzheimers just for starters ) that can he helped by folding research. Not only patients are affected by these diseases but their families as well.

I found out about folding after I put together an i7-920 rig and the rest is history. My love of computer technology and my experiences in the medical imaging field merged in folding.

I like the competition and comradarie, but my real dream would be that one of these proteins flipping around on my PC, courtesy of my electric bill and bank account, would be THE ONE that destroys ANY of the beasts that have taken so many of my family and friends.
And you may say I would not actually know if it was from my efforts, but be not mistaken my [H]ardy Friends, I will know and so shall we all. ;)

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 22. My treatment was relatively short at 9 weeks and I'm now considered to be in remission, however I will have to keep a close eye on my body for the rest of my life. I have started folding again recently with renewed vigor. Besides the physical and financial issues I faced, it messed me up pretty badly on an emotional level and I'm just feeling like I've turned the last corner at 27 years old.

I recently picked up a great deal on four Opty 6128's and am looking forward to donating more clock cycles to the cause. Screw you, cancer. You've taken enough from me.

I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 22. My treatment was relatively short at 9 weeks and I'm now considered to be in remission, however I will have to keep a close eye on my body for the rest of my life. I have started folding again recently with renewed vigor. Besides the physical and financial issues I faced, it messed me up pretty badly on an emotional level and I'm just feeling like I've turned the last corner at 27 years old.

I recently picked up a great deal on four Opty 6128's and am looking forward to donating more clock cycles to the cause. Screw you, cancer. You've taken enough from me.

Glad to have you!

Also glad to hear that you are in remission!

Fold on brother :cool:

Glad to have you!

Also glad to hear that you are in remission!

Fold on brother :cool:

Thanks! I'm excited to be here. Glad to have found a way to give back while indulging my nerd tendencies. It's going to be awhile before I get a system going as I'm limited on funds, but the deal on the Opterons was too good to pass up.

Big word of thanks out to the [H]orde. The amount of helpful information here is ridiculous. It has been and will continue to be a huge help as I head down the road of 4p insanity. :p

Thanks! I'm excited to be here. Glad to have found a way to give back while indulging my nerd tendencies. It's going to be awhile before I get a system going as I'm limited on funds, but the deal on the Opterons was too good to pass up.

Big word of thanks out to the [H]orde. The amount of helpful information here is ridiculous. It has been and will continue to be a huge help as I head down the road of 4p insanity. :p

I'm looking to get back into folding soon as well, but am likewise restricted by funds. Hopefully next year I can get a few quad-core IBs and GPUs folding again :)

F@H has to be one of the better if not the best fundamental medical research programs in a long time. I really hope it'll soon result in some amazing insights.

I'm looking to get back into folding soon as well, but am likewise restricted by funds. Hopefully next year I can get a few quad-core IBs and GPUs folding again :)

F@H has to be one of the better if not the best fundamental medical research programs in a long time. I really hope it'll soon result in some amazing insights.

Welcome back Elle, haven't seen you arounfd these parts in quite a while

In the meantime why not run a single unicore client - still help the science but not add too much to your electricity bill.

Welcome back Elle, haven't seen you arounfd these parts in quite a while

In the meantime why not run a single unicore client - still help the science but not add too much to your electricity bill.

Hi :) I'm slowly getting back into the groove of things :D

I decided to run the SMP client on my [email protected] GHz as the least thing I can do. At least I can crawl back from the #221 position within the team this way :)

Sorry to hear of your loss, especially over the Holiday season.

I found a post in this thread I made years ago, and I still believe that DC'ing for medicine is the best use of my cycles. My father is aging fast, and I like to think that all of my cycles will help someone else somewhere in the future.

btw, I donate blood, and registered as a Bone Marrow Donor years ago. A few months ago, I got a letter and did a phone call to check if I would still undergo the different procedures in order to help someone else. Of course I would, but treatment has advanced enough that the recipient had alternatives and that my donor role would as a last resort.

Our home-rigs/DC boxen individually are modest rigs, but as a [H]orde and as part of the greater DC'ing community, we make possible science that could have been road-blocked by red-tape, big Pharma, or big-government.

Fold on, and Happy Holidays!

I fold to help others.

I just found out my sister went through major surgery a couple weeks ago.
They removed her left breast and most of the muscle tissue surrounding it.
Prognosis for her future looks bad,

I am disabled but not fighting what she has to fight.

Fold on, hopefully we can help find cures to help others

Sorry to hear about your sister.

Although I didn't realize it, Stanford FAH is apparently the largest DC supercomputer in the world. Unlike some of our nationally/federally-funded programs, our CPUs, GPUs, 2Ps and 4Ps do not require all of the politics that go along with having a large dedicated data center. We create opportunities for new research that may not be possible in any other way.

From the single CPU folder to those who own and run bona-fide supercomputing nodes, we all form something greater than ourselves for a cause that affects each of us.

[H]ard folding has always been about medicine, and I am proud to be a 33 folder. It can be sometimes hard to explain folding as a hobby, but then again some folks can't understand how fulfilling giving blood can be.

Through the years, team 33 has had challengers rise but then fall by the wayside, but while thankfully those other teams still fold on, team 33 has a way of remembering the "why" we fold, and then doing the "how" we fold (which for our elite is [HHH]ard!)

I was recently diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes. This has been a struggle, a life change and more, likely the end of my marriage. I recently built the rig I am folding on, a 3570k @ 4.7 ghz, and a GTX 680.

I have lost friends and family, including my grandmother to Cancer. And have family members that have lived with, and died with alzheimer's.

Off the top.

I fold because I must
Life is about things like trust.
Here I make my stand
I open my heart, and open my hand.
We all need hope to live
This is something I have give
I do this without lust.
To many the world has gone bust.
My eyes beam with tears.
My Hearts fills with fears.
Then I see the shine of hope.
Then I shed the need for drugs and dope.
Through the sorrow I see each of you.
Thank you for giving more than your due.

Well...

Really good buddy of mine and fellow shipmate passed away of cancer yesterday. He wasn't even 30 years old and left behind a wife and son.

Really shitty, people are not supposed to die that young...

Fold on guys, we are making a difference...

Back