Why We DC

Some powerful reasons for Folding in this thread, even though I am a folder for another team. I must echo the reasons for folding and cheer on the [H]orde good work guys. I have lost father, uncle, sister,all 4 grandparents to cancer and mum and my other uncle have aggressive form of Alzheimmers. Thanks for all your computing power and if my current team goes TU, I would be proud to put all My PC's to the [H]orde.

Memories fleeting and precious,
expect them to last forever,
then Al's hammers come,
little erosions everyday,
good days bad days,

bad days hate the disease,
good days break your heart,
because our memories are clear,
of the people We love so dear,

No rhyme or reason to be sure,
just fold on and pray for a cure,

Chris, a carer for a 83 year old five year old.

Nice thoughts SPIKE09. :)

You could always devote one of your boxen to the [H]orde (Team 33), making you part of the #1 Team seeking a cure...?

Regardless, fold on!

Spectre said:
As I found out this week I fold now for my own future.
That doesn't sound good Spectre.... whats going on with you ?

RPhArrow --\\\----------------------->

RPhArrow said:
That doesn't sound good Spectre.... whats going on with you ?

Ya know, my daddy used to say every man's got a devil. And you can't rest 'til you find him...

I have been having some problems with my GI tract so I had a colonoscopy this week. The pathology returned and the polyps removed were Carcinoma in situ. Not full blown cancer yet but the chances of them becoming such are very high according to the pathology/doctor. And I am under 30 so it is extremly unusual and about 20 years before my first routine colonoscopy should have been.

Well Spectre, that's disappointing news for sure, but the good thing right now is that it was discovered while there are still viable medical ways of dealing with it. I'm hoping you keep in touch here, and if there are any questions I can help you with as a pharmacist, I am glad to do that anytime by PM

RPhArrow said:
Well Spectre, that's disappointing news for sure, but the good thing right now is that it was discovered while there are still viable medical ways of dealing with it. I'm hoping you keep in touch here, and if there are any questions I can help you with as a pharmacist, I am glad to do that anytime by PM

Thanks RPhArrow I will though I have a very....interesting/busy month ahead so I may not been in as much as usual.....but after that I will be back to normal. If the need arises I will drop you a PM. Thanks.

Though if you could convince whoever manufacturers that laxitive you have to take before hand to come up with some new flavors......that would be great since I will be taking that stuff rather regularly and it sucks. :cool:

Spectre said:
T
Though if you could convince whoever manufacturers that laxitive you have to take before hand to come up with some new flavors......that would be great since I will be taking that stuff rather regularly and it sucks. :cool:
HAH ! This is what I AM good at... PM coming at you...:)

RPhArrow --\\\---------------------------->

Spectre said:
I have been having some problems with my GI tract so I had a colonoscopy this week. The pathology returned and the polyps removed were Carcinoma in situ. Not full blown cancer yet but the chances of them becoming such are very high according to the pathology/doctor. And I am under 30 so it is extremly unusual and about 20 years before my first routine colonoscopy should have been.

Sad news.... but atleast you found it very early, and can hopefully do something about it before it turns into cancer.

Definitely get well soon Spectre.

I fold for my uncle who passed away from lung cancer, and my grandmother, who was recently diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Sorry to hear that Spectre, that is my family's particular curse in terms of cancer,affected an entire generation. My folding is is mostly for the loved ones lost and the abject terror inspired by watching Alzheimmers destroy My mother. Not much of a one for prayer but good thought's are coming your way from Scotland. Thanksfor the kind invite to join the [H]orde as stated I will of course switch over if my current team goes mammaries vertical. I like being in the top 3 though and challenging for No. 1 would 1,200 PPD get me there in your team no chance. ;)

I fold because it's a good thing to fold for. I also found out recently that my uncle is battling a cancer, I'm not sure what cancer he's battling. So this is one more reason for me to fold on. It's a little hard to see my family member suffer, let anybody suffer from cancer.

Compeition now doesn't matters to me but just folding. I'll fold regardless of points, rank, and so on forth. I'm going to fold knowing that for every cycle, we're one cycle less from finding a cure and to me that's worthwhile.

I fold for two reasons.

1) Because I can
2) My grandmother had wicked bad Alzheimer's, and I think it's about time we got serious about developing cures instead of just looking pretty for the presses. You have any idea what it's like to have to constantly remind a loved one you are there grandson every day you're with them? :(

I fold for two reasons.

1) Because I can
2) My grandmother had wicked bad Alzheimer's, and I think it's about time we got serious about developing cures instead of just looking pretty for the presses. You have any idea what it's like to have to constantly remind a loved one you are there grandson every day you're with them? :(
Alzheimer's took my grandmother. I know exactly what pain you endure.

FOLD ON.

I have two reasons:

1) i worked in a senior assisted living home and every day i worked i had to go into the Alzheimer's ("secure") wing and i saw what it does to people and i have seen many die from related complications of it. i left that job behind years ago but if i can help with machines i have running anyway then why not?

2) human competitiveness, the pure numbers and scores feed my need for competition and push me even harder because i need some form of instant gratification.

A few words I put together while watching a funeral...
If they can die to keep us free...is it too much to ask to thow another box into the folding fray and give something back?

Taps carried on sunset's breeze
Old Glory lowered at day's end
I remember when those bugler's notes
Were played to say "Amen"

Coffin draped with Spangled Banner
A soldier laid to rest
We're gifted a hero's sacrifice
Those sad brass tones attest

"The scarlet cost of freedom"
"The dear price of liberty"
Simpler words express it best;

"Freedom is not free"

-relic

This is an amazing thread. I have read the whole thing more than once.

Thanks, relic.

Although I fold for a different team (2cpu.com), my reasons mirror those posted here. I'm here to contribute my part to the scientific research that will one day lay waste to those diseases that have ravaged my loved ones.

Mom - diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2006
Dad - diagnosed with lung cancer September 21, 2007
Grandfather - Parkinson's took his life in 2003

2007. Lung cancer. Minus one father-in-law.
In case you cared to know....

Some day, we'll win.
I don't even care if I'm alive to see it, but I know, we're gonna win.

Puts old hardware to good use. Just think of all the wasted CPU cycles out there.

People get really upset when I tell them that I fold (and explain to them what it's all about). Something about power consumption, medical ethics, and preventative health concerns over cures and all that. I agree with them, but it doesn't matter-- I like big numbers and I'm rocking toward a million points. :D

I am tired my brothers
I am weary and worn
I am saddened, discouraged
unhappy and torn

I have dreamed my dear fellows
Of days without fear
Of times without illness
Of mirth and good cheer

I struggle with truth
and I seek what I dream
I fight for great things
For our cause, for the team

But the battle seems endless
I just can't see the end
I can not find solice
Just the same bitter trend

Should we lay down our weapons?
Should we give up the fray?
Should we ignore tomorrow?
Should we live for today?

Not I.

-relic

So I tried something new...
I sat at my desk and I placed my credit cards and checkbook in front of me.
I started counting .

1 future life made better
2 lives
3 lives

I started at page one and read this thread again...and I knew the answer; "one."
New quad on the way...

How many does it take for you?

LOL considering I've added 3 quads a 4th on the way... I'm thinking I'm pretty much done... maybe 1 or 2 more boxes at max.

I will have a 2nd quad, a red quad and a blue quad coming in the next 3 months, awaiting the upcoming money (I made a big chunk of money from selling the house to get a condo instead)...

Powerful thread. As powerful as the first time I read through it the first time. With the renewed focus on the competition and the fun we have with folding, its always a good time to read these words and take a minute to remember why we do this. Thank you to everyone who shared their story so far, and to everyone who will later.

I fold for both grandmothers, a great grandmother, wifes grandmother and grandfather, and an uncle lost to cancer. I fold for my great grandfather lost to alzheimer's. And first and foremost, I fold for my nephew, who we lost at 3 months, and no amount of tests could tell us why. If we cant find a cure, then maybe we could at least find an answer why.

And finally, I fold because of the F@H community. The dedication and rate of increasing contribution make this the project to support in my eyes. Thank you everybody who has ever participated, for whatever reason. Every WU matters.

I read through this thread a while back as a lurker... and just again now......and it is indeed a very powerful and emotional thread..... there are words here that literally bring a tear to my eye...

I fold for all of you and yours, I fold for myself and mine, and for those that can't or wouldn't if they could. I fold for my friends and those I don't know. I fold for today and tomorrow, and I fold for those that are ill, those that are healthy, and those in between. I fold because I can, and because I know every living, breathing being on this planet needs me to. I fold because I know that my contribution is making a difference and someday we will kill the beast. I fold for those that snicker and sneer, roll their eyes, those that say it's a waste. I fold for all of those that have never heard of this thing we all call "folding"

And most of all... I fold for the future, the technology is here to find a cure... and we can do it, together...

Fold On brothers.... and thank you all for what you do...

Sunin....so you're done expanding the farm....except for another boxen or two... :)
Xilikon...you're an addict....just admit it! :D

Alan....did I mention the "D"? ;)
digital_exaust...we fold, it's what we do. Thank you my friend.

Fold on.

Yes Relic, I believe I've heard mention of it somewhere before. :D

Right now I just recently reintroduced myself to the status of the poor college student, so no "D" for me today. But this WILL change soon enough.

Yes Relic, I believe I've heard mention of it somewhere before. :D

Right now I just recently reintroduced myself to the status of the poor college student, so no "D" for me today. But this WILL change soon enough.

Hehe, I know the pain from a slightly different angle....we have three children in college, none in state. :eek: Best of luck with school!

I'm a addict and very proud of it ;)

It's always your fault, relic...

BTW, we just received about 100 computers this morning (Lenovo thinkCentre). I will open 2-3 on the bench tomorrow for some early imaging testing and I'll start folding on them :D

I'm a addict and very proud of it ;)

It's always your fault, relic...

BTW, we just received about 100 computers this morning (Lenovo thinkCentre). I will open 2-3 on the bench tomorrow for some early imaging testing and I'll start folding on them :D

:eek::eek::eek:

My father had prostate cancer (he's doing fine) then I got a really rare cancer (I'm doing fine) and it was an easy choice to switch from SETI to folding. :)

My father had prostate cancer (he's doing fine) then I got a really rare cancer (I'm doing fine) and it was an easy choice to switch from SETI to folding. :)

Good choice....if they're out there, the little green men will find us.
No need to go looking for them. ;)

Back