Why I won't be buying Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flyboat said:
I thought all versions of vista require activation.

Volume licenses sold to corporations often don't require activation and those are usually the ones put on the internet.

I don't know this for a fact, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread and I've read it elsewhere too, that Vista Enterprise (the equivalent of the VL XP Pro) will require activation via an activation server within the corporate network. The clients will log onto this server to perform activation instead of through MS's activation servers. I'll look into it some more because now I'm more curious as to how it'll work.

So far I've found this. http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=26

Gatticus said:
If you are a hardware upgrade enthusiast I don't think you will be wanting Vista anytime soon if this license agreement is true.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/index.php?p=116p://

Already been dubunked. It's not true. I'm sure the link to the correct info has been posted in this thread somewhere.

Basically a retail copy can be installed as many times as you like on as many machines as you like(one at a time).

OEM versions are limited to the machine they came on.

Archer75 said:
Already been dubunked. It's not true. I'm sure the link to the correct info has been posted in this thread somewhere.

Basically a retail copy can be installed as many times as you like on as many machines as you like(one at a time).

To my knowledge it has not been officially debunked. MS claims that XP was supposed to have the same EULA, but it was not worded clearly. So a lot of people feel like they will still be able transfer their Vista license as much as they want to, like they did with XP Retail. Only time will tell for sure. I will be holding off of buying Vista until I get proof that it is true.

Archer75 said:

Unfortunately your mistaken, it has not been debunked.

I believe vista will take over the market due to OEMs like Dell, HP, etc. MS will get away with this just like window activation feature in XP

Flyboat said:
I believe vista will take over the market due to OEMs like Dell, HP, etc. MS will get away with this just like window activation feature in XP

There's absolutely nothing wrong with activation. In all honestly it was a good idea. Hell credit card companies require you to activate a credit card before you use it, but you don't hear people bitching about that. Even WGA is a good idea. People bitching about MS treating them like criminals is bullshit. MS doesn't know you, why should the trust that you haven't stolen the key from someone else? Would you leave your door unlocked and tell the stranger you see at 7-11 your address? I didn't think so.

ryan_975 said:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with activation. In all honestly it was a good idea. Hell credit card companies require you to activate a credit card before you use it, but you don't hear people bitching about that. Even WGA is a good idea. People bitching about MS treating them like criminals is bullshit. MS doesn't know you, why should the trust that you haven't stolen the key from someone else? Would you leave your door unlocked and tell the stranger you see at 7-11 your address? I didn't think so.

The difference is that MS makes legitimate users feel like criminals. While at the same time doing nothing to those who are actually pirating on a large scale. All the scemes they do hurt the legit user by inconvenience, while the pirate is not hampered one bit.

Gavv said:
The difference is that MS makes legitimate users feel like criminals. While at the same time doing nothing to those who are actually pirating on a large scale. All the scemes they do hurt the legit user by inconvenience, while the pirate is not hampered one bit.
WHOA! Just 1 minute there. You state that MS doesn't do anything about pirates? Evidently, you haven't bothered to see just what MS is doing on the matter of piracy. They have 20 new lawsuits just filed in Sept of 2006 alone, and investigate EVERY piracy issue directed thier way. A visit to the EVIL GIANT ,will show you just how wrong you are.I don't feel that 10 minutes out of your life to reactivate a copy of XP whatever isn't really to much to ask for all the updates, and use of new products that they allow you to download FREE. I can't count the times I've called in to reactivate a copy of XP for some machine that I was working on. I KNOW it's a PITA, but a small price to pay to use some pretty good software.

BIGDADDY51 said:
WHOA! Just 1 minute there. You state that MS doesn't do anything about pirates? Evidently, you haven't bothered to see just what MS is doing on the matter of piracy. They have 20 new lawsuits just filed in Sept of 2006 alone, and investigate EVERY piracy issue directed thier way. A visit to the EVIL GIANT ,will show you just how wrong you are.I don't feel that 10 minutes out of your life to reactivate a copy of XP whatever isn't really to much to ask for all the updates, and use of new products that they allow you to download FREE. I can't count the times I've called in to reactivate a copy of XP for some machine that I was working on. I KNOW it's a PITA, but a small price to pay to use some pretty good software.

Your right, I have not visited their website to see how many suits they are filing or have filed. But to me it's not enough if the number is only 20.

And I guess we'll have to disagree on what an acceptable time frame is for inconvenience.

I've already paid a price for their software don't inconvenience me more because you think it will stop piracy

If someone wants to steal it they will.. no amount of bullshit for legit users will change that.

Gavv said:
Your right, I have not visited their website to see how many suits they are filing or have filed. But to me it's not enough if the number is only 20.

And I guess we'll have to disagree on what an acceptable time frame is for inconvenience.

I've already paid a price for their software don't inconvenience me more because you think it will stop piracy

If someone wants to steal it they will.. no amount of bullshit for legit users will change that.

Even ten minutes isn't a reality for MOST people. It's a 5 second process that's part of a 30-90 minute installation. It's not like you have to activate every time you boot. The only time it becomes a 10 mintue ordeal, (although I've never sent more than 5 on the phone.) is when you've exceeded the number of times you can activate over the internet. Even WGA is just an extra button click. Which is no different htan any other site that offers downloads for free. I'm not made to feel like a criminal when I activate.

Now if you have such a perfect answer that won't affect legitimate users, call MS up and tell them what it is. Otherwise, your argument that "I bought this, I shoudln't have to put up with blah blah blah." falls a little short, since MS has no clue who you are, or that you really did buy it.

And that 20 lawsuits was what was filed in the month of September alone.

MS is being very vague about what kind of upgrade will trigger an activation, how many activations can I get from a retail copy, and what is a new system other than motherboard upgrade? The way I see it. MS can interpret anyway they want. You can upgrade your memory 3 times, they call it a new system.

djnes said:
Here's an update to the topic, from what seems to be a credible source. It looks like we'll be allowed 10 activations.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/10/26/Microsoft_clarifies_Vista_activation_to_bit-tech/
The number 10 is still arbitrary, though, which is 100% unacceptable, to me.

IMO, they need to have a scheme that keeps you from using it on more than one machine, not just keeps you from activating it 10 times.

Personally, I'd rather they made it periodically re-activate the way ESRI's ArcGIS products do (kind of) than this limited number of installs shenannigans.

now with new vista news..the thread maker is an off on an assumption rant. call the wambulance. and go buy xp priate

just love how many computer weenies out here think MS should be free over multiple comp's. and most of them are the bitchiest/naive fucks about MS products. get coding your own OS. nuff said

RazorWind said:
The number 10 is still arbitrary, though, which is 100% unacceptable, to me.

IMO, they need to have a scheme that keeps you from using it on more than one machine, not just keeps you from activating it 10 times.

Personally, I'd rather they made it periodically re-activate the way ESRI's ArcGIS products do (kind of) than this limited number of installs shenannigans.

As long as activation is only triggered by hard drive and motherboard upgrade, 10 activations are acceptable, ( Since I only upgrade my hard drive oncce during last 5 years. I did upgrade ram 3 times, graphic card 3 time, dvd drive 3 time, sound card 2 times).

Flyboat said:
As long as activation is only triggered by hard drive and motherboard upgrade, 10 activations are acceptable, ( Since I only upgrade my hard drive oncce during last 5 years. I did upgrade ram 3 times, graphic card 3 time, dvd drive 3 time, sound card 2 times).

Yes, it's acceptable for me... Myself, I was hoping more on a 3-5 activations limit and it's better than expected :) Motherboard swaps should be once a year for any reasonable enthusiast and hard disks even less often...

There is still a grey area : Will the counter not decrease if we are swapping motherboards or harddisks to remplace a defective one ??

G'ßöö said:
now with new vista news..the thread maker is an off on an assumption rant. call the wambulance. and go buy xp priate

just love how many computer weenies out here think MS should be free over multiple comp's. and most of them are the bitchiest/naive fucks about MS products. get coding your own OS. nuff said

I bought my copy of XP, moron. That article says nothing about the wording in the Vista EULA that states you can only transfer once. The issue is not about activation but transferring to a new PC. I want it in black and white and not up to Microsoft's discretion. Telling someone to go code their own OS is just confirmation that you are a moron.

"Should you wish to activate more than 10 times, you could be busted, or Microsoft could choose to let you activate again at its discretion."

G'ßöö said:

....Guess your entitled to your wrong opinion :D

After 9 months of using Vista Ultimate for free, it is going to be hard NOT to buy a copy . I think everybodys getting thier shorts in a knot for nothing. Just keep thinking the buzz words "Catastrophic Failure" or "defective Harddrive" The second one being easy to justify when you look at how many of those big drives are taking a dump in less than 1 year. :D

Gavv said:
....Guess your entitled to your wrong opinion :D
Just for the record, an opinion is not fact. It can be neither true nor false. Therefore, it can be neither wrong nor right.

ryan_975 said:
Just for the record, an opinion is not fact. It can be neither true nor false. Therefore, it can be neither wrong nor right.

Guess you don't get sarcasm either. But I could go find a definition for you

In case anyone cares, It was evident that gamers will be able to get away with Vista Home Premium ,as long as you don't care about all the business security crap, thats all part of Ultimate.at the Newegg webcast. :D One other thing you lose is DVD maker, but theres tons of other software that will do this job.

BIGDADDY51 said:
In case anyone cares, It was evident that gamers will be able to get away with Vista Home Premium ,as long as you don't care about all the business security crap, thats all part of Ultimate.at the Newegg webcast. :D One other thing you lose is DVD maker, but theres tons of other software that will do this job.

Home Premium has DVD maker. Well, as of this article it did. Is there something newer that says otherwise?
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions_final.asp

Todays webcast showed a blank space there,but maybe that chart was wrong. I'm sure in the coming weeks there will be lots of comparison charts out there. One thing that was interesting ,was that the starter version showed a lot less requirements, in order to run it 512mbs of ram, smaller video card ,and only 800mhz cpu. I know it will run fairly well, as I loaded it on an old 800 MHZ Duron rig. just for a goof. The upgrade coupon thread has a link to Newegg ,showing how much it will be to upgrade different versions of XP. MCE2005 @$109+$20 will get you an upgrade to Vista Premium. $129 aint bad. considering MCE is really Pro +Media Center anyway. Premium will be good enough for me. :D

Gatticus said:
I do. If I can only use it on two PC's then it is useless to me. I'm not buying a new copy every two PC's I build. And what great features are those? The stupid Gadget crap? You can get that on XP already. I've ran the beta and it didn't impress me one bit.

Borg!

Why dont you try reading up more on Vista

i am sick of uneducated people assuming Vista only has some purdy GUI stuff and nothing more.......

Vista hasa LOT more to offer than just eye candy. The Webcast at Newegg was very informative, and people who use thier computers for home businesses ,will like a lot of the new features of Vista. To much to go into here. They have done a lot of work with the Media center portion, as well as offering strong file encryption, advanced/ multiple ways of searching and filing. etc. :D The upgrade coupon is going to help a lot of people make up thier minds about buying Vista.

ryan_975 said:
Well, you were responding to a person that was quoting a post that you made. So, no, I didn't get the sarcasm of your comment.

All I se is a person posting in here with no intention to add anything to the discussion that would be useful. Instead, you come in here with the seemingly sole intention of thread crapping and insulting the people here. So any sarcasm you may have tried to convey just comes through as a symptom of 'arrogant asshole' disorder, which runs quite rampant in forums.

Well maybe you should look back and see the big :D there. You don't get sarcasm. Let me explain it sense you think that I am thread crapping, which essentually is what I responded to from G'Boo. He is entitled to his opinion. I think it's a wrong opinion and without having to resort to calling someone names like G'Boo or you or stereotyping people. . I made a "smart ass" remark to such. If you think I am an arrogant asshole, such is life. I have been thought of alot worse by alot better than you. Anyways, don't get bent out of shape, this is just a message board :D

Maybe the couple guys saying Microsoft clearly has added tons of stuff into Vista that are worthwhile would actually like to detail what those changes are, exactly? If you even know.

[edit]How rude of me, I didn't even list why I'm not going to be buying, or upgrading, to Vista. I suppose the best list to make is the list of features that were supposed to be put into Vista that got cut.

1. WinFS
2. Metadata searches (tied to above)
3. Efficient 3D interface (Aero is bloated and doesn't do anything OSX or Linux hasn't already done, and does it less intuitively)
4. Performance enhancements (everything still runs slower than on XP, and that apparently isn't going to change between now and retail release)

But what made it in? Let's see...

1. Better graphics
2. More DRM (including a new, enhanced version of WGA that will consider your version of Windows non-genuine if you change anything that Microsoft deems to be integral)
3. DX10 (by arbitrarily restricting DX10 to run on Vista only)
4. Networking
5. New user control mechanism (that rips off Linux)

Wow, so we've got graphics, DRM and some new networking code basically, for an operating system that costs $200+ for a retail copy that behaves like OEM copies of WinXP (i.e., you can only use it on two hardware configurations). No thanks.

Gavv said:
Well maybe you should look back and see the big :D there. You don't get sarcasm. Let me explain it sense you think that I am thread crapping, which essentually is what I responded to from G'Boo. He is entitled to his opinion. I think it's a wrong opinion and without having to resort to calling someone names like G'Boo or you or stereotyping people. . I made a "smart ass" remark to such. If you think I am an arrogant asshole, such is life. I have been thought of alot worse by alot better than you. Anyways, don't get bent out of shape, this is just a message board :D

holy shit. I got myself all confused here. I thought that you had posted the insulting weenies comment. I retract my previous comment.

You seriously just linked me to Microsoft, as though I actually believe their marketing department isn't positively jazzed about their new product?

ryan_975 said:
holy shit. I got myself all confused here. I thought that you had posted the insulting weenies comment. I retract my previous comment.

Is ok, and thank you, no harm done, hope none done to you :)

finalgt said:
You seriously just linked me to Microsoft, as though I actually believe their marketing department isn't positively jazzed about their new product?

well it's a starting point. You decide for yourself whether their marketing is just a bunch of hot air, or if there's some truth to their statements. But if you go around saying "OMG VISTA IS BLOATWAREZ!!! THERE"S NO NEW FEATURES. I HATE M$. THEY"RE A BUNCH OF LIARS AND JUST WANT TO RIP CUSTOMERS OFF!!!!!!!!", yet you haven't even read their site, and done any research to see if it's true, you have no place to bitch. So yes, I linked their site. Read it, find the features that are new/improved, then research some more and see if it's what it's cracked up to be.

I swear people are never happy. If MS doesn't do something that Linux does, they bitch and gripe about how MS is such an inferior OS to Linux. However, if they add something that's been bitched about Windows not having, the same people yell "Copycat". Give it up already.

ryan_975 said:
I swear people are never happy. If MS doesn't do something that Linux does, they bitch and gripe about how MS is such an inferior OS to Linux. However, if they add something that's been bitched about Windows not having, the same people yell "Copycat". Give it up already.
That's one of the most annoying things that going on here. No one believes that Microsoft is in a lose-lose situation. Half of the people bitch no matter what they do. If Microsoft sold Vista for $101, and put a $100 bill in the box, people would still throw hissies. Put features in, and the companies bitch, like Sun, Symantec, Mcafee, etc. Take features out, and now people bitch because it's not like Linux, where most basics come free. It really gets annoying, but at least it shows who understands the industry and who has no clue. It's like a forum litmus test to decide who has a clue and who doesn't.

Yup, Microsoft has copied linux, they jusy gave away 1,000,000 copies of Vista Ultimate FOR FREE. just like Linux. Unfortunately, we can onlly have it for 1 year. :rolleyes: AND we gotta help them fix it ;) . Oh I almost forgot, thier CD key only lets you run it on 10 pcs at a time. ;) PS I already took advantage of the FREE copy that I get, when it launches by buying MS software now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back