Why I won't be buying Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are overlooking all the great features that Vista has. Seriouly who cares about some small change to the EULA?

I do. If I can only use it on two PC's then it is useless to me. I'm not buying a new copy every two PC's I build. And what great features are those? The stupid Gadget crap? You can get that on XP already. I've ran the beta and it didn't impress me one bit.

Borg!

Hmm, those TOS's seem very bad in comparison to WinXP. I'm actually more concerned about the VM limitations since they're extremely useful.

That does sound bad...

Article said:
I can see the problems now … you buy a copy of Windows Vista, install it on your existing PC and activate it. Later on, you discover that your existing PC isn't really up to the job of running Vista, so you either buy a new PC or upgrade your existing one. When you install Vista this time, that's it – your copy of Vista is now stuck on that PC forever. If your new PC dies or has a hardware failure, as they so often do, then not only is it time for a replacement but also time for a new Vista license too. That sounds plain crazy and is nothing more than a trick to move money from the pocket of the user and into the Microsoft coffers.

This is a real kick in the teeth for upgrade enthusiasts and early adopters!

:mad: Guess I won't be buying either...although I'd like some official responce outlining details of this.

wow, that seems like a kick in the teeth, for those who upgrade, and for those who wont use vista as their primary os, I was thinking of dual booting vista, but I might just stick with ubuntu and xp if thats the case. I hope microsoft changes this.

wow and it seems the home version cant be used in a virtual machine ??? wow, thats lame, I dont see how or why this is, you paid for the operating system, lame.

I think the U.S. constitution should be ammended and our tax dollars should be used to buy every citizen in the united states a lifetime copy of vista. Those who have no use for vista can opt out and recieve a tax break or can use the money for government funded dentist visits.

BarneyGumble said:
I think the U.S. constitution should be ammended and our tax dollars should be used to buy every citizen in the united states a lifetime copy of vista. Those who have no use for vista can opt out and recieve a tax break or can use the money for government funded dentist visits.

lol.

Well that's enough for me. I was all set to buy next year, but I'll stick with XP now.

Wow, I'm out too if this is for real. Something tells me this will change though.

They will probably make a Vista Pro Premium Ultimate Mega Extreme package for people who upgrade. It wil cost 50% more.

please people, this shit wont happen...its all talk. Iv had a few times where I had to call up m$ and get a new key for xp and get it every time. Vista will be the same. They are just talking big talk right now but I bet they will do the same once vista is out for a bit and people start doing upgrades and bitching to them about keys.

No DirectX 10 for XP, Would be the only reason to upgrade to vista.

DX10HAX4XP.COM =]

That stinks. That would help discourage me from upgrading...and I haven't looked at vista that closely but I don't see many if any big benefits...just more eye candy.

gah..........ummm......brings up an interesting point you buy vista ultimate, you upgrade vista says nah uh, would then using a pirated version of vista be a legitimate form of protest against what to me is a completely unfair eula? I only say this because for example if dx10 is vista only, and you like to game it seems like you are being forced into buying vista if you want to take advantage of the features that you paid for, and seeing how, directx will never be on apple or linux, being forced to buy and os and then having to agree to an unfair clause of the eula.

BTW I am not advocating piracy, or justifying it, I am just asking if a legitimate customer who purchases vista, and then is shafted by this, if them then using a pirated version of vista, is legit form of protest against an unfair eula, so they can use an OS they paid for.

alot of software that me and many others have aquired over the years won't work anymore either like norton ghost and my norton systemworks disc with a 1 year virus protection (the one year starts over every time you install it) i know all of this software will have new vista compatible versions but i bet that none are gonna be free,it would probably cost a couple hundred dollars to replace the software that won't work on vista, so far ive noticed the mentioned items and some video editing software that won't work and i doubt there will be any updates for them alot of the software was OEM software that i aquired bundled with hardware parts .

As I Lay Dying said:
...I am just asking if a legitimate customer who purchases vista, and then is shafted by this, if them then using a pirated version of vista, is legit form of protest against an unfair eula, so they can use an OS they paid for.

Fair or not... legally speaking you're are still breaking the law. If you're using the software you've agree to their rules. That's the way it works.

I'm out too if it comes true. I bet it is either misunderstood or it won't though.

It's a bad attempt at trying to prevent illegal copying/sharing... my assumption is that it won't let you update software... since that's it's only use; not everyone has internet so without internet it has no way to verify how many times it was used... but as we all know the update options will be hacked quickly

It seems unreasonable to limit the reformatting of the OS, especially for those of us who change hardware often. Ultimate Vista is going to be what, 250 dollars????
I agree with another poster though, Ive called MS a number of times and have never been turned down for new activation keys. Those guys named "Dave" have always been real nice............. :D

I won't be buying Vista either. I just hope Linux makes some good leaps and bounds that games become eaiser to install and run under it so there will be eventually no need for MS at all after this. Guess I'll have to wait though and see if they actually put this in or back out of it at the last minute when they finally hear that pop of their head coming out of their ass.

Aratech said:
Fair or not... legally speaking you're are still breaking the law. If you're using the software you've agree to their rules. That's the way it works.

And I drove at 65 in a 55 zone all the way home today, just like everyday. I will buy the first liscence, for my personal use. After that all bets are off.

Never thought I'd utter these words: Time to MAC :eek:
(if it's true)

M1ster_R0gers said:
And I drove at 65 in a 55 zone all the way home today, just like everyday. I will buy the first liscence, for my personal use. After that all bets are off.

I dont disagree with you.

I was simply answering the posters question.

Is them then using a pirated version of vista a legit form of protest against an unfair eula?

Please keep in mind, as much as this would suck, it's within Microsofts rights. No one truly OWNS a copy of Windows if you read your EULA closely. It's more like a rental agreement.

Keep in mind I'm not defending this, as there's no way I would purchase a copy of Vista with this on it. I switch PC's roughly every two years, and if Microsoft actually tries to emplement this I'll speed up my Linux learning rate.

Aratech said:

EULAs are on shaky legal ground. See here for a brief summary. I for the record, will always disagree with the EULA before installing software (with a witness of course).

That aside, I don't think MS will care about people transferring Vista from one machine to another. I'm guessing this is just something they've tossed in so they can use it when fighting other, bigger battles.

Well there is now no longer any advantage to buying the more expensive retail box. Everyone who is into building their own PC will go with the much cheaper OEM verisions. This will cost MS a lot of money. So I predict this scheme will backfire since no one will buy Vista retail!

Large corporations buy bulk licenses, so the only market for retail boxes are computer enthusiasts and small businesses.

I was planning to buy a retail copy of Vista so I could do future MB upgrades. But now I am going to be buying Vista OEM or maybe XP. This assumes the OEM price is a lot less than retail.

breakpoint said:
Well there is now no longer any advantage to buying the more expensive retail box. Everyone who is into building their own PC will go with the much cheaper OEM verisions. This will cost MS a lot of money. So I predict this scheme will backfire since no one will buy Vista retail!

Large corporations buy bulk licenses, so the only market for retail boxes are computer enthusiasts and small businesses.

I was planning to buy a retail copy of Vista so I could do future MB upgrades. But now I am going to be buying Vista OEM or maybe XP. This assumes the OEM price is a lot less than retail.

This also assumes that the rumor is true. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Russell said:
This also assumes that the rumor is true. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Well slighly more than a rumor but you are quite correct that nothing has been confirmed. I got carried away there with my outrage.

Tylerdurdened said:
It's a bad attempt at trying to prevent illegal copying/sharing... my assumption is that it won't let you update software... since that's it's only use; not everyone has internet so without internet it has no way to verify how many times it was used... but as we all know the update options will be hacked quickly

You don't need internet access. You can activate it over the phone. It sounds like they're essentially saying you can activate it 2x (maybe 3x). However, It's possible that you can activate unlimited times on the same hardware. But regardless, if you change MBs, or too much other H/W, it will count as a new install.

breakpoint said:

Actually, you're better off getting educational versions, though never having done that with an OS, I don't know what the terms are as far as reinstalls.

Aratech said:
I dont disagree with you.

I was simply answering the posters question.

Its interesting as a concept of free speech. Violating an unfair user agreement with a sound moral reason does sound like an interesting court case.

My computer for the past 5 years has had a legitimate copy of windows XP. Even though it is on its third key, one is the origional and two given to me by microsoft tech support. The origional product key is on an old antec 1040B in a storage site.

Every computer I hand build for someone else comes with a new OEM distro of windows xp. I have probably purchased over 40 windows xp liscences over the years. For a short time I was building two a month. I am sure microsoft has no qualms about selling directly to me a 140 dollar product they volume liscene to Dell for a considerable ammount less. I would go so far as to say the individual power users in the United States pay a considerable ammount more for individual home liscencing then what Dell pays for an individual volume liscence. The persons like us who end up buying 10 OEM liscences for different persons over the lifespan of a product make some sort of dent in sales impact.

A Windows Vista Capable1 PC includes at least:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
All Dimension/Inspiron and XPS systems must also ship with a DVD Readable Drive.

Microsoft equates the "minimum system requirements for skydiving" to being a napkin and four peices of string. We all know windows vista will require a few significant hardware upgrades for us let alone the average home user. If changing ram and videocards is considered outside that realm there is going to be a large ammount of disaffected users over the years, not to mention even more rampant piracy. I do not ever believe hearing about microsoft going after a joe home user. Their product keys solved that problem.

I also have a firm belief that anyone who has a computer that came with windows ME preinstalled should recieve a free copy of windows 2000, as a gift for the years of hardship they endured.

It's stupid and legally challengable I think - now they have to define what a system is. Ie., if you change the mobo and CPU but not the hard drive, RAM and video card, is that a new system?

This better not stick, otherwise I say all hardware enthusiasts and first-adopters should stick with XP or pirate Vista.

Without us to show off our high-tech stuff to newbies, they know they will slow sales of VIsta significantly. We are the ones who drive the consumer side of things.

breakpoint said:
Well slighly more than a rumor but you are quite correct that nothing has been confirmed. I got carried away there with my outrage.

I can't blame you. I'm rather pissed off about this myself.

sluzbenik said:
We are the ones who drive the consumer side of things.

Wrong.

Best Buy, Comp USA, Dell and HP blah blah blah.
Sorry, but these are the ones who drive the consumer side of things.

We drive the enthusiast side of things.
PC Magazine and the editorial in your local newspaper have more influence over the "consumer" than you and I.

We are the ones who think about swapping out hardware.
The average consumer doesn't.

When the consumer's mobo takes a dump, they call tech support, or the IT guy and get it fixed. Or, they go to Best Buy and pick out a new machine, and it has a perfectly legit copy of Windows already loaded.

The consumer will buy Vista, because they will have to, eventually. And they will get used to it, and they will ultimately like it, just like alot of us have learned to like XP.

And, in a couple of years, we will be having this exact same discussion.

I'm thinking this is blown out of proportion. First off, let's wait until something is confirmed before we get our collective panties in a bunch. Second, many people threw hissies when it was announced that XP would feature activations. Did it turn out to be a big problem? Absolutely not. At worst, you had to spend 5 minutes on a toll-free call to get it re-activated. Those who re-installed often learned to use disk-imaging software to legally skip over the activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back