What's in your Doom III box?

Already have the Abit KV8 Pro, getting the 6800GT, is it worth going Nforce3 250? (there is some word the GT runs faster on the Nforce3 than the K8T800 Pro)

Pre-Ordered here... been waiting for this for a long long time.

Have the 5.1 setup (Logitech 751's) and hope my computer can keep up. =) Barton 2500+ unfortunately locked but still overclocked... see signature.

<see sig>

Absolutely can't wait till it hits the shelves!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coolermaster 201sx4 w/ Enermax 431w ps
P4 3.0C, MSI NEO-FISR (P875), Swiftech MCX4000 HS, 1.5G Kingston RAM, eVGA 6800, 200G Sata / 250G IDE / 100G IDE, 8x Plextor DVDRW, 4x Memorex DVDRW, Panaflow H1A's (2in,2out,1cpu), Dell 18" LCD + MAG 18" LCD

I've got the following ready to go:

Shuttle SB75S
P4 3.2GHz
1GB Corsair XMS RAM @ 2/3/2/6
74GB WD Raptor HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Audigy 2 Soundcard with Cambridge Megaworks 510D (using the digital connection)
NEC Multisync 19in CRT
Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard

Will ATI have the 4.8s released before the game launches?

I want to upgrade when (if) AMD comes out with a SLI solution.

Abit IC7
2.4c @ 3.3
OCZ PC4000 EL Dual channel gold blah blah with curb feelers
Radeon 9800 Pro 128

the rig in the sig. i was able to run far cry at playable conditions at max detail at 1600x1200 just without any AA or AF. so i'm expecting to play doom 3 at last at 1280x1024.

I'll be running my sig system when the 5th comes around. Thankfully I'll be replacing the 9800XT in a month or so with either a 6800GT or an X800Pro.....depending on which is more available at that time. The problem is that up here in Canada I have yet to see any 6800's for sale online, and forget about buying local. Seeing as the X800 line has been "available" in Canada since its launch I might have to get the X800Pro.....but if the 6800GT's show up 'round here in time I'll be jumpin' on one of those puppies, then its only a hop skip and a jump to Ultra speeds.....not a bad $600 purchase at all. :D Within the next month and a half I'll also be replacing this POS AI7 with a fully voltmodded Asus P4C800-E that I'm picking up.....so I'll finally be able to push this m0 chip of mine a little farther. ;)

the rig in the sig. i was able to run far cry at playable conditions at max detail at 1600x1200 just without any AA or AF. so i'm expecting to play doom 3 at last at 1280x1024.

Wow, you must have fairly low standards dude.....cus i know how it runs at 1280 res with everythign maxed out.....and I cant imagine getting the same frame rates out of your rig at 1600x1200. Not to burst your bubble, but you'll most likely be stuck at 1024x768 res with medium detail levels if you want it running nice. Of course, if you are able to stand playing Far Cry at 1600x1200 with that setup, then you might be able to chug through Doom III at 1280x1024.....cept it'll be even slower. ;) I'm not trying to be a meany here, I'm just trying to make sure you're not riding on any false hope. Check that first PCGamer review, they needed a 3GHz P4 and a 6800 to get it PERFECTLY smooth at 1024x768 with everything in game cranked....without any AA or AF. I know a LOT of people that play FPS games at 24fps.....but to me that just doesn't make sense, so choppy. It's all personal preference dude, you very well might be able to run it at 1280x1024 res, but just be aware the Carmach purposefully futureproofed this game so that we COULDN'T crank everything up and get it running perfectly on the 5th.....he was thinking ahead. Another thing to consider that I've heard on more then one occasion is that Doom III's visuals on medium detail are still said to be stunning to the point where they rival the quality of Far Cry on High.....which will put some people at ease.....as you wont HAVE to max everything out to get it to look nice, that can be accomplished at medium detail. Carmack basically HAD to do that, because even though there are those of us with 9800XT's, X800's, and 6800's.....we make up an EXTREMELY small percentage of the gaming population out there, and he had to find a way to make sure that the ppl still running the likes of a Ti4200 could still be pleased with the performance and IQ.

Seeing as I play Far Cry with everything on Ultra High at 1280x1024 at 45fps constant I'll probly try out Doom III at 1024x768 on high detail.....as I'm happy with 45fps.....at least until my new card shows up. ;)

Peace out

Here it is...

P4E 2.8 @ 3.5Ghz
1GHz FSB
1.5 GIG PC3200 RAM
FX5900 @ 475/900
Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech THX Z-5300 5.1
Raptor 74Gig

I hope the FX5900 @ 475/900 will be enough... We'll see I guess.

SO MANY PEOPLE with P4's OC'd to 3.2-3.9Ghz!

This thread looks like an "Intel Only" thread

I'll change that:
Soon to be system:
Athlon64 3200+
Abit KV8 Pro
2x512mb Corsair DDR500
Visiontek X800XT-PE
Koolance Exos LCU and blocks (+ whatever OC that allows)
Audigy LS + Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX (max 560 watts)

Say, am I supposed to be dissapointed because they say max settings will only work on a 512mb vid card? That's unbelievable...
I remember the days when we spent $300 to upgrade my P75 from 8 megs of ram to 24.. NFS1 still ran like ass.

chrisf6969 said:

Yeppers ;)

Seeing as I'm gaming WAY more then i used to I'd REALLY like to jump on an A64 setup.....but I'm waiting until i can build a whole rig, new, right from scratch. The thing with that is that I'm not "settling" for anything less then a 3800+ or FX-53 for the A64 setup I want.....and both of those chips are still running over $1,000. I'd most likely want to throw down 1 or 2GB of Corsair XL along with that, and up my video card (from the X800Pro/6800GT) to an X800XT-PE.....so i guess i better start saving. ;)

This is kinda off topic but ATM I would still consider a high end A64 setup MUCH more worth an upgrade then waiting for a new Intel setup. Lets see, at the same clocks the 775 cpu's are (for the most part) still slower then the Northies, DDR2 we have now is only able to surpass standard PC3200 at 400MHz (pretty lame for now), and PCI-E video cards are showing no performance gains over their AGP counterparts. The ONLY way (and i do mean ONLY) I could see myself being forced into buying a highend LGA775 setup is if I was gonna go with an SLI setup.....but dont even get me started on how stupid THAT's looking right now.....very poorly executed if you ask me, I hope some things are re-worked.

Whatever, that's my ramble for now, with the exception of a possible SLI setup, a 915/925 setup right now would be a horrible downgrade for most of us Intel overclockers around here.....whereas I'm still drooling over the thought of being able to drop that FX-53 into a new mobo sometime soon. :D

Say, am I supposed to be dissapointed because they say max settings will only work on a 512mb vid card? That's unbelievable...

Yeah well didnt you think Nvidia had some reasoning behind their announcement at the nv40 launch? They ARE working on releasing a 512MB 6800 (hopefully late this year) and nvidia has been working closely with Id during this whole process.....coincidence.....I think not. I for one am in favor of the game requiring 500MB of ram to run with everythign cranked at high res. Think about it, this is going to be the first time I'll be able to buy a card with double the memory (again) and actually have something to USE it.....this'll be the first time ppl wont be able to trash our purchases and say it was a waste of cash. :) Thank you Id.....thank you for giving us upgrade-aholics one more way to justify dropping aNOTHER $700 (canadian) in the same year.....yay.

3.0c @ 3.6
abit ic-7g
1 gig mushkin ddr 433
2x 120gig wd se
9700 pro
sound audigy 2
logitech thx

hoping the 9700 pro is gonna cut it out. i built this rig approximately a year and a half ago

I am going to use my current system for now, which I believe should suffice:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD 2800+ 333Mhz cooled by a Thermalright SP-97
1GB PC2700
Soundstorm SPDIF out to Klipsch DD-5.1 and Klipsch 5.1 setup
Asus 9800XT

This is the system I recently upgraded to for the likes of Doom3 and HL2:

CM%20Front%20001%20(Small).jpg

CM%20Inside%20001%20(Small).jpg

CM%20Inside%20004%20(Small).jpg

Specs (upgrades in bold)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ upgrade from AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe Wireless Edition upgrade from ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
Memory: 1024 MB of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO DDR400 upgrade from TWINX512+XMS512-3200LLPT
Video Card: ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition ATI Radeon upgrade from BFG 5800 Ultra
Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 160.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS
Additional Hard Drives: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 160.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS
Monitor: Hitachi CML174
CDROM Manufacturer & Model: Sony CRX225A/U 52x24x52
CDR/CDRW Manufacturer & Model: Plextor Plexwriter 40/24/40A
DVD R/W: Optorite DD0203 DVD+-RW
Sound Card: Realtek ALC850, 8-channel CODEC upgrade? from SoundStorm
Speakers: Logitech Z-560
Internet Connection: SBC xDSL @ 5Mb
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
Other Components: USR Pro Modem (Backup)
Zip250 IDE
Cooler Master CMSTACKER Case upgrade from LiteON FS020
Cooler Master AeroCool II new
Cooler Master CrossFlow Fan new
PC P&C Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe

This is the system I recently upgraded to for the likes of Doom3 and HL2:

dude, extremely nice new setup you've got there, be proud. Although I'm NOT a fan of that case there is ONE thing that's sticking out in your box. DITCH THE COOLER.....geez. you drop taht much cash into a new setup and dont even pick up a decent HSF for your A64? You must have SOME cash left over.....go drop a nice heatsink on that baby and feel proud. :)

Edit: just noticed you've got the same speakers as me.....way to go on that purchase dude.....these things f$%&ing pound.....seriously.....best $180 (CDN) speakers on the market.....some Monster Cable sure helped it too.....so much clearer when they're cranked up now.....I swear I almost melted the heatsink of the back yesterday. ;)

Before I sink money into my system, I'm going to see if Doom III runs acceptably... hopefully it will, I don't want to have to upgrade to a non AIW card - I am cursing myself for buying an AIW card, it has addicted me and now if I upgrade I have to buy two cards :mad:

when the game comes out i'll be running a:
P4 3.2 Northwood (Oc'ed to whatever I can get out of it)
Abit IC7 Max3
2x512 KVR (Might have to get new ram, any suggestions for an 875 board? Runs at ddr440 fine atm)
BFG 6800GT if it gets here on time
SB Audigy 2 w/ 6.1 surround setup

I'm hoping that will yield some badass fps and one hell of a gaming exp.

chrisf6969 said:

I had a [email protected] for close to a year. I now have a [email protected], and its faster in games for me.

[email protected]
MSI K8N Neo Platnium
2x512 HyperX PC4000
BFG 6800 GT
36gig Raptor
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Ligitech Z-680's (had almost two years.. still going strong)
1800FP

dropper, you have some serious cable management issues..

that still bytes.. i mean, i ordered my X800 XT-PE 1 day before these news came out... shit. I got all hopefull, too... well, maybe if I overclock it with a watercooler and ramsinks + a couple of fans blowing on it, the compression will work just as fast.
I am so amazed how big of a leap this game is going to be. I donno if there's a word strong enough to describe my admiration to ID, for not bullshitting around with release dates like Valve with HL2. It's also been a while since someone released a game which is almost completely focused on single-player experience. Is it true there is no internet play on doom3?

No Doom 3 has multiplayer but as for Far Cry the most work is done for the single player. Quite rightly so since multi player games are so superficial there is no depth.

Athlon64 3200+
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
::$179 AMD EPP bundle =)

ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro
1GB Kingston HyperX
BOXX 6-bay chassis (employee discount!)
430W Antec PSU

Athlon64 3200+
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
ATI 9800 Pro
1GB Kingston HyperX
160/250 GB 7200 rpm 8meg cache
Audigy 2 Gamer
Klipsch 4.1
Quiet Chenbro Gaming Bomb case

Hope I am ready.......Neighbors might not like it though.....

P4 2.4C @ 3.2GHz
1024MB (2x512) PC3200 Corsair Ultra Low Latency (2-2-2-5) RAM
2x36GB 10000RPM WD Raptors RAID 0
Asus P4C800-E MB
ATi Radeon X800XT-PE (Still waiting to recieve hopefully July 23rd... if you are a triple A member go to gateway you can get it for 475 unfortunately not 435 anymore)
2x120GB WD special edition 7200 rpm HD's in Raid 0
Zalman 5.1 headphones
Hitachi 17" (16ms CMLseries) LCD
koolance AL external water system (waiting for arrival July 20th) (CPU, GPU, Chipset blocks)
Plextor 708a
MSI 16X DVD-ROM
Using Chieftech Aluminum silver case with acrylic window to show off all my leet shit with UV cold Cathodes.
Logitech elite keyboard and mx700 wireless mouse.
Called up John Paul to see if he would bless the water going into my watercooling rig to protect me from the hell that will be soon unleashed on mars. (He's considering)

Morley, werent you running a gaming center in Houston???

Im good as soon as I get my AMD 64 3200+ and ASUS mobo I won for free. Im also gonna switch to a SATA HD. But will my 5900 @440/720 be good enough?

cornelious0_0 said:
dude, extremely nice new setup you've got there, be proud. Although I'm NOT a fan of that case there is ONE thing that's sticking out in your box. DITCH THE COOLER.....geez. you drop taht much cash into a new setup and dont even pick up a decent HSF for your A64? You must have SOME cash left over.....go drop a nice heatsink on that baby and feel proud. :)

Edit: just noticed you've got the same speakers as me.....way to go on that purchase dude.....these things f$%&ing pound.....seriously.....best $180 (CDN) speakers on the market.....some Monster Cable sure helped it too.....so much clearer when they're cranked up now.....I swear I almost melted the heatsink of the back yesterday. ;)

Yeah, have been thinking about the Coolermaster Hyper 6 or even the Auqagate. The heatsink is the boxed one, so it's okay, for now.

After $500 for the GPU, $500 for the CPU, another $170 for the MB, $300 for the memory, and $220 for the case (with accessories), do you really think I have any money left?

Keith

Wow, this entire thread has turned into a "who has the biggest e-penis" thread. Do we really need another one of those types of threads? I think 1 in 5 posts here actually say what someone is upgrading. Can't we just go back to putting all 7 of our rigs in our signatures so we can have e-penis voting in every thread?

I'm still not sure why people are so keen on upgrading BEFORE the game even comes out. I can see if your system is 3 years old or something though.

Notice how not many people list the monitor they use? I bet a lot of people talking about how they're better than us cause they'll be able to run Doom3 at 1280x1024 are using a 17" CRT or a 15-17" LCD with nice ghosting effects. Makes me wonder...

What if Doom3 sucks? I mean, it probably won't, but what if you don't like it after you upgraded just to play it?

Anyhow, this is what I'll be using (the important stuff anyway)... and enjoying my 1024x768 goodness.

A7N8X-X (a temp mobo turned permanent) :(
2500+ Barton @ 2.2GHz
2x512MB PC3200 Mushkin Level II Black (CAS 2-2-2-6)
HIS Radeon 9800pro 128MB (420/366)
2x80GB WD 8MB IDE drives (RAID0 on HighPoint RocketRaid100)
Audigy 2
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s
Sony G520S 19" Trinitron CRT
Logitech MX500 w/ funcsurface 1030 mousepad

Fun stuff. I don't play a lot of FPS though, so it's not really geared towards that.

I went from:
P4 1.8ghz (generic IBM mobo)
ATI 8500 128mb
3x40gig ATA133 drives
1gig pc2100

to

AMD XP 2800+ (Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum)
ATI 9600xt 256mb
2x120gig Hitachi SATA in raid 0
1gig pc3200

The improvement was HUGE. I run everything at 1024x768 And just recommended HIGH quality settings on the video card. I haven't OC'd anything in quite some time. As long as it does it's job, does it fast and looks good...I have no reason to squeeze out 12% extra performance. My next upgrade isn't until tax season next year. Then I'll dump the cash for an AMD64...by then maybe I can even afford an FX model processor :cool:

This thread should have been, what is your video card for use with Doom 3? All of us have enough processor and system stuff. We don't all have sweet 6800s or X800s. Some of us still have a gen down, like FX5900 and 9800. Not sure the the 9600 or FX5700 or below will cut it with this game...

darktiger said:
Morley, werent you running a gaming center in Houston???
Yup, sold my stake right before I got married, moved to Austin, took a sweet deal with BOXX.

The LAN center is still up and running just fine...

www.combatex.net

I upgraded my CPU/mobo/memory in February and waited to upgrade my 9700Pro, luckily I was able to get hold of one of the Texas CompUSA XT PE cards. I am alll set for Doom III/HL2:

P4 3.2 @3.6
EXOS CPU and Northbridge cooling
P4C 800E Deluxe
1GB Mushkin 3500 Level 2 @2.5-3-3-8
2 WD SATA 74GB Raptor, 2 WD PATA 80GB
ATI X800 XT PE
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Nec 8X + dual layer DVDRW
Pioneer 106 DVDRW
Viewsonic 22" P225F

LordPhobos said:
Wow, this entire thread has turned into a "who has the biggest e-penis" thread. Do we really need another one of those types of threads? I think 1 in 5 posts here actually say what someone is upgrading. Can't we just go back to putting all 7 of our rigs in our signatures so we can have e-penis voting in every thread?

Hmmm, E-penis? Don't think so. I believe most of us who post in here are by definition hardware enthusiasts, don't see the big deal about enthusiasts jumping at the chance to post the specs of the rigs we have lovingly assembled and for many of us, saved for. :)

Stemcellio said:
Hmmm, E-penis? Don't think so. I believe most of us who post in here are by definition hardware enthusiasts, don't see the big deal about enthusiasts jumping at the chance to post the specs of the rigs we have lovingly assembled and for many of us, saved for. :)

I guess I just don't share the same mindset as other "enthusiasts" then. I have just as nice of a system but have never felt the need to show it off other than when I first got it, and I did a lot of saving myself. I just can't relate, I suppose.

Rig in sig. I think I'm ready for some 800x600 action! I preorderd my copy yesterday with nextday shipping. $64.99 was my total for the limited edition copy that comes with a pewter Pinky monster. I'm holding off on a new video card for now. My car was rear ended today going to work so I have to make sure I don't have to pay for anything before spending $500 on a new card. I have my sights set on a x800 XT PE but the Nvidia equivilant seems to be an excellent choice as well. Ill wait and see what folks are saying after the game comes out to see which is the better choice.

Shuttle SN45G (thats nforce 2)
ATI Radeon 9800 np
Athlon XP 2500+
1gb GeIL PC3500 (2-2-2)
a pair of Midiman Studiophile SP-5B << and i dare anyone with a surround system to beat THAT sound...
midiman speakers connected to Mackie mixer with sennheiser HD-590 headphones (incase my girlfriend is sleeping/watching tv)
and a 19 viewsonic monitor (dun remember the model exactly)

LordPhobos said:
This is clearly a thread about whose is largest. My old rig was better than some of the rigs listed here.

Does anyone here really think Doom3 or HL2 will suck? How about CS:Source? Have you seen Far Cry with everything turned on and running at an acceptable rate? What about the games to follow, like Battlefield 2? It would be nice if everything coming out would run on an Althon 1800+ with a Geforce 4 (old system, kids and nanny use), but we demand more and more from our games.

Astral Abyss said:
Notice how not many people list the monitor they use? I bet a lot of people talking about how they're better than us cause they'll be able to run Doom3 at 1280x1024 are using a 17" CRT or a 15-17" LCD with nice ghosting effects. Makes me wonder...
My Hitachi CML174 does just fine with its 16ms response time (and no eyestrain).

Keith

Back