What's in your Doom III box?

Met-AL said:
From what I've read, the game makes no use of hardware accelerated sound at all. It is all done by the game engine, and supposedly, with less of a hit than with using hardware acceleration.

Geez I didn't buy an Audigy 2 ZS for nothing... lol

Met-AL said:
From what I've read, the game makes no use of hardware accelerated sound at all. It is all done by the game engine, and supposedly, with less of a hit than with using hardware acceleration.

That ain´t possible really. I guess they used that to allow even people with crappy sound cards or onboard audio getting better quality audio. Good news for me since I am getting an A64 mainboard which don´t have soundstorm and can´t use my home theater speakers with my audigy 2.

See sig.

It won't stop Doom3 flat, but, then again, I haven't exactly dumped a lot of cash into this thing either.

I was holding out for an X800XT, but my GF3 died and I went with the 9800 as a replacement. .. So I still might order one of those... And a new soundcard probably wouldn't hurt either.

oqvist said:
That ain´t possible really. I guess they used that to allow even people with crappy sound cards or onboard audio getting better quality audio. Good news for me since I am getting an A64 mainboard which don´t have soundstorm and can´t use my home theater speakers with my audigy 2.

I'm just repeating what I read, but I'm sorry that I can't post a quote or a link since it was taken down since it was a copy and paste from a article in PC Gamer. I do think is possible when you take into consideration of the fact that id has done the "impossible" many times before and they are doing sound for a specific game and can optimize it all the want without worrying about supporting everything.

Met-AL said:
I'm just repeating what I read, but I'm sorry that I can't post a quote or a link since it was taken down since it was a copy and paste from a article in PC Gamer. I do think is possible when you take into consideration of the fact that id has done the "impossible" many times before and they are doing sound for a specific game and can optimize it all the want without worrying about supporting everything.

Yes of course you speculate so am I ;) As with onboard audio it´s not necessarily of worse quality (though most often it´s) it´s just that it eats CPU cycles since it´s not hardware accelerated. This will be the case with Doom 3 too as it sounds so there is a penalty hit you wouldn´t get if it was hardware accelerated with strong APU:s like Audigys and soundstorms.

But not everyone has those so I guess John Carmack and his teams thought it was valid to offer some CPU cycles so everyone will get the most out of Doom 3. But as with the video which is very demanding I guess the audio will be as well even if you of course will be able to scale that down as well :)

I keep wondering if an Audigy2 is worth the upgrade. Actually, I'd like something other than a Creative product for my next sound card. Thier drivers are nothing but trouble.
I'm hoping the SMP support is up and working well so I can get some nice framerates out of my duallie 2600+ (gotta try lapping my shims sometime so I can comfortably leave it at 2.1 or better for long periods... still a bit toasty). I'll be ordering a 6800GT as soon as I get the official offer letter from my new job.
Other than that, 1GB ram, SB live, IBM Model M KB, MX510, and a 21" monitor. I think that's about all Doom 3 will really care about.

Sadly there isn´t much competition. You have soundstorm but then you will have to go nforce 2 and AMD XP and that is kind of pointless isn´t it?

Then we have m audio revolution but that have even worse driver support. Audigy 2 is sadly the best even if Creative is known for having the worst drivers in the industry.

Box setup and ready to go.

Abit IC7-G mb with an intel p4 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb proc, 1 gigabyte of corsair XMS Extreme Memory Extra Low Latency, 160 GB Seagate baracuda sata hd, radeon 9800 pro

considering my current setup (in sig) can run far cry at 1024x768, with 2xAA, 4xAF, Very High texture detail, Very High environment detail, and Ultra High water, everything else medium. at an average of 29 fps (which is playable for sure) dips to 18fps goes up to 60 fps some times.

I would think 1 gig of ram, a 9800pro 128 (oced to xt speeds) and with new ram my processor at 2.4 could run doom 3 at 1024x768 with AA/AF and High detail settings jsut fine. I only have 17in monitor so higher than 1024 isnt taht great, things just get too small to see.

dont feel obligated to buy a $400 vid card people wait until you really need it

I understand if you have a 21 in monitor 1600x1200 makes a diff and next gen cards definaltey help out there, but then again if you have that nice of a monitor then you can probably afford it ;)

Duel Pentium Xeon 2.4 GHz w/ HT, 1GB RDRAM, 2x10KRPM Seagate Cheetah Drives, Geforce 6800 GT-OC, SB Audigy (w/ 5.1 Surround), 17 Samsung Syncmaster LCD Widescreen, Logitech Controller, and other assorted goodies,

I think my machine is ready.

Having no kids can be a good thing, disposable income @ 30 Years old.

Anthony

AXP 3200+
1 GB PC3200 RAM
SB Audigy 1 sound card
Altec Lansing 221 2.1 speaker system
Geforce 4 Ti4200 Video

:eek:
p4 3.06ghz w/ht(OFC)
P.O.S Radeon 9700 Pro (going to be replaced with the uber 6800GT )
maxtor 200gb with 8mb cache(damaged)
Crap INtelMoboThatdiedwhenrambusdied
512mb 1066 RDRAM
Audidy 2 ZS pro

i go away for a week and my comp is haggard ;-; TIME TO UPGRADE fer DOOME 3!!! ;)
BTW, What mobo for an intel would you guys recommend?

My system is shit now
but hopefullly ill get this in teh future

fx-55
watercooling(phase maybe)
2 gigs of ram (just in case)
a duel 6800u setup
etc....

^that asus p4c800-e deluxe

skyce said:
This is what I hope to have finished (and working) by the time D3 comes out:

Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8V Deluxe (Wi-Fi)
Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (512MBx2)
74GB WD Raptor
NEC ND-2500A (black, possibly flashed to 2510A)
Antec SLK-3700-BQE
Antec 430W TruePower
19" (black) NEC/Mitsubishi DP930SB
BFGTech 6800GT OC
Audigy2 ZS

I'm gonna keep my headphones, keyboard and mouse :)

well i almost have your system (sig) and i love it to death!

jeff

Iwill DK8X
2x Opteron 242
2GB PC3200 (2x cheapo ram)
Radeon 9800Pro (Waiting for D3 benchies on the new Nvidia/ATI cards before I think about upgrading)
WD 74 Raptor (Might get a SCSI Raid card and a coupla 15k Fujitsus)
Audigy 2
Antec 550W EPS12 PSU
Old Antec workstation case (I need real server case)

I dont know how good my sound will be since im using the 5.1 built in sound on my asus p4p800 se but I think ill manage now that i have my new comp!!

P4 2.8 prescott
Asus P4P800 SE
512mb DDR400 Corsair Dual Channel
Western Digital Caviar SE 80gb
Asus 9600 xt

Rig in my sig.
I'll probably use Grado headphones as my 5.1 system doesn't really fit in my bedroom where the computer is. Maybe I'll volt mod by board to run a full 200 fsb woohoo.

Update: I had to return my awesome leetx0r pimpx0r rig. I think im buying a Mustang GT.

BTW I have a AMD 64 3500+ socket 939 forsale, two 74BG Raptors 10,000rpms and a Windows XP Pro CD + Key all never used. Im forced to sell here or ebay b/c some of the stuff is non refundable and the processor is passed 7 days. Never built the PC b/c I was waiting on my X800 XT-PE but I'd rather have a mustang gt w/ cobra r's.

The items are going alittle less than at newegg but they havent evne left the box yet so, I need very close to what I bought them for.

GL to all you HL2/Doom3ers....i'll be there..just not w/ the best of the best :) :rolleyes:
But if I see you on the street in my stang :D

I am thinking about grabbing a new video card but don't have the dough as yet. I might slap another 512 MB in my rig if the need arises. Thus far, everything seems to be in order!

Copied 'n' pasted from my profile:

3 GHz P4 w/Thermalright SP-94 and 92mm Panaflo M1A • P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2 • 1 GB Corsair • 36 GB Raptor • 160 Maxtor SATA • eVGA 6800 GT • Revolution 7.1 • 48x CD-RW • 4x DVD-RW • Intel PRO/100 S • Samsung 213T • XP Pro SP1

Today I get a 9800 Pro and another stick of 256mb to add to the same stick...

I am ready for a nice res of 640x480! :p

Ic7 Max3
3.0 @ 3.4X
1gig lvl 2 Mushkin PC 3500
160gb Seagate IDE
120gb WD IDE
Plextor 708
Sony CXR 300
Radeon XT
SB Audigy 2
Sennheiser 570's

All stuffed in a Lian Li PC-71.

My secondary rig that tore Quake 2 apart is still around, I wonder if it can run Doom 3...

Coolermaster ATC201b
Asus Tusl2
Tualatin core Celeron @1.4
128mb PC 133 (I want a pair of 256mb sticks of cas2 Mushkin, but it's still over $100 :()
9gig WD Expert (one of the 1st 7200rpm drives)
32mb Diamond Viper v770 TNT 2 Ultra
Pair of 12mb Canopus Pure 3D 2's (the #1 rated Voodoo 2, were over $370 each 5 years ago, bought these for $26 shipped on Ebay)
SB Live 5.1
3Com NIC
HP 300i CDRW

I recently pulled the TOm Luefkens pelt and have decided to go with an Innovatek water cooling system. I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive to 60 gigs and I want 512mb of RAM, but I doubt I'll be able to run Doom 3, I might try for the fork of it though.

System in sig, + Sennheiser HD497s.SOundcard is a Live Value (shoot me :( ) and speakers are Labtec Pulse 424s.

3.0ghz p4
intel 865gbf
512x2 of Kingston Hyper-x pc4000
BBA X800pro w/ bad ass overclock
Creative Audigy Plat
Logitech z-5300s, wall mounted in perfect 5.1 acoustic positions
18.1 Mitsu nx85 lcd
Confey chair

I am ready to go.

P4 3.0ghz HT cpu
512mb PC1066 RDRAM
Audigy 1
Gigabyte 850E mobo
XFX 6800 GT (this will OC over 400/1100 using the magic button in CP)
usual cd/dvd stuff
17" Hitachi LCD (16ms)
etc

Whats the 850E board like for overclocking? Never really bothered before but it seems like most people here overclock something in their rigs.

daddybigwords said:
What's in my Doom III box? Let's see...

* Registration card
* Manual
* Quick reference card
* Doom III CDs
* Misc. ads for other games by id and Activision

:rolleyes:

You're a fucking n00b moron. Stop threadcrapping for god's sake!

My box should be all right, maybe I'll splash on more ram and a fast hard disk.

Gigabyte 7NNXP nforce2,
Barton 2500+ at 3200+
512Mb Transcend DDR400
HIS Excalibur X800 pro ICEQ2 (595/605)
4xSeagate 2Gb 5.4K in Raid 0 (not really such a big deal...)

With my new Zalman cooler, I can take my 2.4C to 3.1GHz. At my overcloked speed my memory speed drops from 333MHz to 266Mhz & my Radeon 9700 Pro becomes a bottleneck. :mad:

I should be ok for Doom 3 & Half Life 2 overclocked or not. :D

If I upgrade anything, it'll be my speakers. :(

I have...

IC7-Max3
2.8c @ 3.2
(can get to 3.5 but its been a bit warm lately and in my new place my room gets way hot even with water cooling)
2x512 PC4000 Corsair XMS
Sapphire 9800XT

those are really the only thing worth mentioning...my HDD's are SATA so not the fastest in the world but then not the slowest either.

Is there anything you guys would see as a REQUIRED upgrade?

ReNeGaDe* said:
Well I highly doubt my current system'll be able to run it, but once I get my GCSE Results and ahopefully a cash bonus :) (August 26th) I'll be able to build me a nice A64 Rig, with, as it seems now a 6800 GT, if they're out in the uk by then

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a 6800GT in late August.

If you look around a bit you can often find a GT in stock at the moment. I managed to find an Ultra in stock yesterday, so I snapped that up :D PNY card - probably not the best, but it was there and *in stock* so... :p

cards.jpg

i think i'm ready :D

PhyberOptik: please watch ur language

TheAcorn said:
I was holding out for an X800XT, but my GF3 died and I went with the 9800 as a replacement. ...

Doh!. I read this shortly after reading the discussion about girlfriends, who were referred to as "GF's" and for a second I thought this guys 3rd girlfriend had died and he replaced her with a 9800. I was thinking "sweet, that's one smart fella. Hella cheaper to get a 9800 and play some games and occasionally download some pron and kill a kitty!"

brand new box in my sig. i can't wait - i haven't run anything on it but CoD and 3Dmark. The 6800 GT clocked at 429 laughs at CoD in 1600x1200 maxed.

101998 said:
3.0ghz p4
intel 865gbf
512x2 of Kingston Hyper-x pc4000
BBA X800pro w/ bad ass overclock
Creative Audigy Plat
Logitech z-5300s, wall mounted in perfect 5.1 acoustic positions
18.1 Mitsu nx85 lcd
Confey chair

I am ready to go.

30MS LCD powah!

I'm ready
FX53, x800 Pro (waiting on my preordered 800XT)
Asus A8V
twinx3200 XL Pro 1gb
Raptors 74 gig raid 0

Bring it on!!
:)

I'm ready for Doom 3. That is, if I cared about D3, or if it mattered. *cough*FarCry*cough* ;)

Athlon64 2800+
Biostar s754 board (temporary)
2x512MB PC3200 OCZ (2-3-2-5)
Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
80GB WD800JB
Lite-On 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive
SB Audigy 2 ZS

Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2200 Ghz / FSB 220 Mhz aircooled
1.5 GB DDR500 Twinmos memory
Epox 8RDA3+
9800pro 128MB @ 9800XT speeds (flashed to XT, on XT PCB, R360 core)
120 GB HD
2x 120 GB HD RAID
60 GB HD for Backups

I think I'll be fine.

Back