What the heck is wrong with newegg video cards?

I love Newegg but this isn't a first. The Radeon 5970s sold around Black Friday all were sold as new but ended up being in some cases poor refurbs (just look at the reviews). I got one that looked new at first glance but was definitely used upon close inspection. Although that was a one-time deal on an old no longer produced card (still $300+ mind you).

I've heard of this happening. I would call and tell them and ask for open box discount. If the card works well other than being used, it seems like that would be a win/win.

Four cards from newegg so far. None have been opened or DOA

I did have a mobo doa, but it was a previously installed openbox and I knew it was a gamble.

I've been buying from Newegg since they were still Egghead and I have to say I have a very hard time believing the validity of your stories... if they happened, then that sucks... but 4 cards? Really?

Yes, it makes a lot of sense to you. Since you have not had any problems, the problem does not exist :rolleyes: (Newegg representative by chance?)

Thread with pics of my "fun" with a "new" used and faulty video card from Newegg

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1558992

Benchmark test:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1559091

I've been buying from Newegg since they were still Egghead and I have to say I have a very hard time believing the validity of your stories... if they happened, then that sucks... but 4 cards? Really?

I said I ordered 4 cards, then I said almost all of them. But in reality, it was 2 cards, and then prior I do recall having this issue before either, but didn't think nothing of it. Only after I heard others experiencing the same issue and then my 2 recent cards did I start to find it odd. I know they are repacking returns and selling them as new. If you don't believe that, that's okay with me. There is no reason for fingerprints on a new card. That's not how "new" works.

I'm not pro newegg, pro amazon, pro mwave, pro buy.com, pro tigerdirect, or pro anything. I buy my hardware where it is cheapest. So it's a bit ridiculous reading people's comments like I'm out on a personal vendetta against newegg. The naming of the thread title was just to be playful and wasn't an insult to the our dear Lord, Newegg.com.

I purchased a 'new' MSI 6970 lightning video card last summer from them, and received a card with torn plastic on the shroud, and fingerprints on the back of the card; one fan didn't turn, and the card was DOA. One of the 6950 twin frozr's appeared to be used as well, and none of them came in a sealed anti static bag. Needless to say, I returned the card. I will be buying one of the new MSI 7970 lightnings, but not from Newegg.

I've purchased countless videocards from Newegg over the past few years and 99% of the time they were in great shape w/ no signs of prior use/abuse. Even recertified and open box cards arrived in great shape.

I have purchased countless GPUs from newegg.

All NIB.

All arrived packaged in anti-static and with all accessories listed.

Newegg may have made a mistake.
If you think they are wrong, this is not the place to be complaining, call or chat with their CS.
I've never had a problem that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.

Having it happen to 4 cards in a row is certainly surprising, and rather poor luck on the part of OP I have to believe.

The problem exists, and I have run into it once myself, but that has been in ordering ~90% of all my computer components from them since ~2001 when I discovered them through pricewatch.com (and I order a lot of stuff).

Newegg certainly could work on controlling their inventory and returns better, but I can't help but think that having it happen 4 times in a row to the same person - based on my long term experience - is more of a matter of random occurrence and extremely poor luck than it is of any intentional dumping of used product as new by newegg.

Last edited:

Just FYI, Egghead and Newegg have no relation to each other.

Egghead operated retail stores from 1984 to 1998 when all 250 stores were closed in order to focus on the web business. The web business went well until their IIS servers were compromised 2001 and their poor handling of 3.6 million customers stolen credit card numbers drove the company into bankruptcy. Eventually their assets were sold to Amazon.

Newegg - on the other hand - was founded in 2001 and had nothing to do with Egghead. Eggheads disappearance and Neweggs appearance at about the same time may have added to the confusion of the two being related in some way, but they never were.

In the past year I have bought 3 (2x6950, 1x7970), all of them were sealed, brand new, etc. All Powercolor also.

Oh and a cheapo 8400GS, no issues with that either.

I have spent tens of thousands of dollars at newegg, over 8 pages of history there, and NEVER had a problem with stuff being opened.

Zarathustra[H];1038496302 said:
Just FYI, Egghead and Newegg have no relation to each other.

Egghead operated retail stores from 1984 to 1998 when all 250 stores were closed in order to focus on the web business. The web business went well until their IIS servers were compromised 2001 and their poor handling of 3.6 million customers stolen credit card numbers drove the company into bankruptcy. Eventually their assets were sold to Amazon.

Newegg - on the other hand - was founded in 2001 and had nothing to do with Egghead. Eggheads disappearance and Neweggs appearance at about the same time may have added to the confusion of the two being related in some way, but they never were.

I was gonna say, my mind would have been blown if that were true. Didn't think so, though. ;)

They will only issue a refund, no credit whatsoever and no exchange with them sending it first. So really, I'll just suck it up.

I certainly wouldn't accept that and demand to talk to a supervisor...I usually throw that I order a lot of stuff from them back in their face so they can see I don't make a habit out of contacting them to get discounts. Your upset enough to contact them so they least they should do is allow to return without the re-stocking fee...not sure if that was offered but if not that is really shitty.

They will only issue a refund, no credit whatsoever and no exchange with them sending it first. So really, I'll just suck it up.
Escalating inside newegg has never worked in my experience. They've got your money already and truly do not care. Like I said earlier, complain on resellerratings.com and newegg will do whatever it takes to make you change that review. You'll get a response within one business day. They watch that site like a hawk.

Or just suck it up, I guess. Up to you. If it was my $700 or whatever, I'd be pissed off.

i've purchased a dozen high end videocards through newegg (i get 2 matching flagship cards each year) and never had an open box item. I do believe they open them up for photographic and review and put them back in their packaging but this could potentially give you the look of a used card. It's kinda scetchy business practice. They are not going to lose money on 1 of each product they buy, period. It's luck of the draw. They will exchange anything you are dissatisfied with so what is the problem?

They will exchange anything you are dissatisfied with so what is the problem?
They don't cross-ship, you have to wait for the RMA to pass inspection before they will ship the replacement, you have to pay for shipping, and you're left without the item for a couple weeks.

They will exchange anything you are dissatisfied with so what is the problem?

You said it well oldmanNewegg.

Never mind the time you have to take doing the RMA, writing customer support, going to the post office, taking pictures, uploading and emailing them (in my case to convince them I was being truthful). Never mind having to wait weeks to use something you already paid for, never mind having to pay the added shipping cost. No, these are fun and rewarding ways to waste your time, not a problem at all.

I've never gotten anything other than a sealed box when I've ordered anything that's supposed to be new from Newegg in the 10 or so years that I've bought things from them. Then again, they've got multiple warehouses, so it could be that something funny is going on in one of them. Most things I've ordered have come from the California warehouse.

As for `open box' purchases, stay far away from them! I'm maybe 1 in 4 for actually getting something that either wasn't outright broken or was soon to break. =(

I said this on page one and my post went ignored so I'll say it again.

OP, have you called the manufacturer about the issue to ask them if this was something to worry about with their cards?

E.G. I used to work for a major videocard manufacturer. In one instance we had a bad batch of fans identified on a entire series of cards. At the factory we pulled them off the ready to be shipped pile and opened them, replaced the fans and re-performed QA testing on the boards.

Those cards came out of the box in similar fashion to what you are describing. Our tech support at that time got calls about it and had a script to read to customers to explain the sittuation to our customers.

I wouldn't rush to blame newegg unless you have called the respective manufacturers and at least made an attempt to ask them.

I've never had problems with newegg myself, but the newegg issues with used goods sold as new appears to be a problem based on the number of reviews and reports I see.

Well, are you guys ordering new launch cards, or older tech? I only experienced this with the cards I bought that were last years tech. I'm thinking people returned these, and newegg doesn't want to take a hit on them, and just resells them.

I bought 2 old cards from them and they were both as advertised (new). Never had any problems with any other newegg items that I have ordered.

You're just going to have to call and talk to them....at least give them a chance to make it right.

He already did, they won't cross-ship so he'll be out of a video card for several weeks at least.

I've received products in poor condition from Newegg, but not specifically video cards. I also had a strange issue in November where my order remained "in processing" for 4 business days. I could never figure out why and they didn't reply to my emails. I ended up cancelling the order and buying from someplace else. Like any store, they aren't perfect and I imagine some of their depots are better than others. As for your problem OP, that's pretty darned shitty of them if they resold returned products without inspection, cleaning or repackaging. It's sneaky and dishonest, and I can only hope it's not systemic.

I said this on page one and my post went ignored so I'll say it again.

OP, have you called the manufacturer about the issue to ask them if this was something to worry about with their cards?

E.G. I used to work for a major videocard manufacturer. In one instance we had a bad batch of fans identified on a entire series of cards. At the factory we pulled them off the ready to be shipped pile and opened them, replaced the fans and re-performed QA testing on the boards.

Those cards came out of the box in similar fashion to what you are describing. Our tech support at that time got calls about it and had a script to read to customers to explain the sittuation to our customers.

I wouldn't rush to blame newegg unless you have called the respective manufacturers and at least made an attempt to ask them.

That's actually a really good point. I hope the OP follows through.

Never had an issue with the egg.

I'd never had any trouble with the egg for the last 6 years.

Geez, it's like opening a thread about "Bugs in <Game>" and seeing a post "No problem here". This is a thread about issues with Newegg. If you've never had an issue and have no constructive advice to provide the OP, why are you posting?

I think a lot of people been experiencing this open box problem from Newegg, I read a ton of reviews on cards being opened. Not sure what's causing it but it's disappointing.

Never have any problem from them based on my 20+ purchases within the recent 2 years.

Back