What Paste Application Method do You Use in 2020?

What Paste Application Method do You Use in 2020?

• Pea sized ball in center

Votes: 56 36.8%
  • X accross heatspreader or die

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Spread evenly (credit card, or other straight edge)

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • Spread evenly (using finger wearing gloves)

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Grain of rice

Votes: 12 7.9%

• Total voters

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
you've piqued my interest, any pics of your rig?
If you google my cooler and reviews there is around 3 or 4 max....but anyway they specifically mention the base is convex rather than flat to "help with the cooling" and even shows some picks of the convex base...How its better than a flat base is beyond me?

Falkentyne

[H]ard|Gawd
Started with the grain of rice in the center, but never got good coverage that way. Now I just try to spread it somewhat evenly. Been using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is impossible to spread in a thin film, so I try to have little blobs of it evenly spaced around the CPU.
I use two large intersecting lines as a giant " X ", from edge to edge corner of the IHS. Works perfectly and covers absolutely everything.
This is a good method to try because some pastes just don't like to spread with the included spread tools at all.

Thermalright TFX is a vicious paste, nice and thick, but try to spread it and you'll wind up torturing yourself with Klingon Pain Sticks, since that's less pain. Apply an X and its perfect.
And it's at least 3C cooler than Kryonaut ! (I have all these pastes and have tested TFX vs Kryonaut on a 9900k, both with a 360 AIO And NH-D15 aircooler.

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Don't use evenly space dots, I beg of you, Dear Sir!!
They will introduce air pockets once pushed together.

thor17usa

n00b
I've heard with the new higher end Ryzen 3000 chips that an X, full spread or H shape is more optimal. Based on what you all have done, have you seen a difference with either spread style?
I'm seeing higher temps on my 3900x on an ASUS Strix x570 board and have already done with undervolting by .100 to drop temps some. Next up is likely a remount, but just curious on your thoughts. Thanks

nimbulan

n00b
I've always done a full spread with a plastic card, particularly since I used to always use Arctic Silver which is incredibly thick paste. I've got Arctic MX-4 now which isn't as thick, but still prefer to spread it myself to eliminate any possibility of uneven coating.

Stryker7314

Limp Gawd
Thermal Grizz Liquid Metal spread over the area the cpu die is on both the IHS and Water Block (also on the die itself if delidded). Once you go liquid metal you never go back, the risk is overblown, it's not runny or anything once spread, just don't apply on any leads or other components like a dummy to short your shit. The gainz are worfz it. :p

n00b
I use credit card to put thin layer paste and after that I put a little more paste in the center.

Last edited:

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
I chose the pea dropped because I have used that for decades, but the larger chips, you might use two p drops...

DJ Lushious

Weaksauce
Going to try Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut Thermal Pad first, if temperatures are below throttling decently, call it a day. Tempted to lap the CPU heat spreader and block, probably wait to see if needed, CPU is good etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Griz...Thermal+Pad+51x68x0.2mm&qid=1581984375&sr=8-2
That is expensive. It's hard for me to justify the cost to even experiment, when I have 2 tubes of thermal paste (MX-4 and PK-3) that, together, cost less than the one pad.

What were your results?

This is a really good resource!

I've always done the pea-sized blob in the middle. It's always served me well; I tried to spread paste in my most recent re-application of paste and found it to be a ton of work. So, I stopped in the middle and just went back to pea-sized. Looking at the above, the difference is negligible, so the amount of labor required just didn't seem worth it in the end.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Spread on thin, wipe off, then (small) pea sized dot in center. Initial spread fills in the air gaps you can't see, and then the dot in the center spreads with pressure to fill in the rest.

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
That is expensive. It's hard for me to justify the cost to even experiment, when I have 2 tubes of thermal paste (MX-4 and PK-3) that, together, cost less than the one pad.

What were your results?

This is a really good resource!

I've always done the pea-sized blob in the middle. It's always served me well; I tried to spread paste in my most recent re-application of paste and found it to be a ton of work. So, I stopped in the middle and just went back to pea-sized. Looking at the above, the difference is negligible, so the amount of labor required just didn't seem worth it in the end.
BeQuiet Dark rock 4, 3960x, MSI TRX40 Pro WiFi, room temp avg 20c, Aida64 stress test with avx, believe over 9 hours with avg of 92c. CPU never thermal throttled, at least HWInfo indicated it didn't, avg CPU clock speed 3.91 hz which is above base clock. 280w. Test 100% successful as well as no WHET errors. That is using the Carbonaut thermal pad.

While usable, losing boost frequency due to higher temperature., losing performance. Not interested in trying paste since once board is put into case it will use a custom loop. Paste could give a 2c-4c advantage but for me it is still too warm.

M76

[H]F Junkie
I always used multiple smaller drops, I found one bigger blob in the middle results in the paste not spreading properly, and ends up as a thick layer in the middle while the corners remain dry.
I also turn and twist and move the sink on the cpu back and forward a bit to make the paste spread evenly. Worked so far.
Only time I used the one drop to the middle was for the old naked die cpus, like socket A and socket 370.