What Paste Application Method do You Use in 2020?

What Paste Application Method do You Use in 2020?

• Pea sized ball in center

Votes: 73 36.9%
  • X accross heatspreader or die

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Spread evenly (credit card, or other straight edge)

Votes: 57 28.8%
  • Spread evenly (using finger wearing gloves)

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • other

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Grain of rice

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters

Falkentyne

[H]ard|Gawd
Huh. I had Kryonaut in my last build for 3 years without replacing it and never noticed any temperature increases.

I never said or implied that you would have problems with Kryonaut.
Just many people do, when the heatsink fit is less than perfect.

Repo79

Weaksauce
I have some Kingpin paste i got on amazon for cheap, have more then i will need but it was worth the price at the time

I have some Kingpin paste i got on amazon for cheap, have more then i will need but it was worth the price at the time
Ive been meaning to give it a try but keep forgetting to move it into my cart from saved. Its supposed to be solid.

Repo79

Weaksauce
It seems to do a good job, i dont do any serious over clocking but for 20.00 for the huge tube was a easy buying choice

Jinxycat

n00b
Do you have before/afters from different methods? What is the temperature drop during load that can be expected for good pasting or repasting on CPUs and GPUs?

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
What freaks me out is when I see YouTubers using a q-tip to spread the paste leaving cotton fibres in the paste which for that purpose....noooo. Why not just sprinkle a few pubes into it too.

matt167

Gawd
I gifted my brother my W3690, 12gb of ram and my GTX 1060 6gb for christmas.. I offered to install the parts but he said he could do it.. He complained about CPU temps. I realised he used about 1/2 of a tube of AS5 and never cleaned the cooler off.. I checked the temps and they are actually manageable but OMG he claims to know how to work on computers. I'm not going to try to clean the mess as I fear the paste might get into pins, and I now have no paste left.. Computer still runs, and it's just a 1366 box living out it's days

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
I gifted my brother my W3690, 12gb of ram and my GTX 1060 6gb for christmas.. I offered to install the parts but he said he could do it.. He complained about CPU temps. I realised he used about 1/2 of a tube of AS5 and never cleaned the cooler off.. I checked the temps and they are actually manageable but OMG he claims to know how to work on computers. I'm not going to try to clean the mess as I fear the paste might get into pins, and I now have no paste left.. Computer still runs, and it's just a 1366 box living out it's days
Anyone can throw a computer together, but applying thermal paste is an art. I remember my first build, I literally used tooth paste because I didn't have thermal paste and didn't know where to get it.