What is your backup GPU?

Hmm if my 1080 ti dies my whole setup is out of commission for a bit as I have custom water cooling. I would use the gf's pc which has an amd 4gb 580 in it. If I had to put something in my pc (and it wasn't stealing with 480,) it would be the 9800 gtx I've been using for a mock up in my new case.

I have an APU which would take over. I don't think i could run too much on it, but at least i would get a functioning desktop with video and some very light gaming.

The RX6800 looks like a much better fit on the SFF system. Goodbye my 3090 FE, our time together was short but you will always be in my heart :)

Attachments

• 20210503_093211.jpg
    20210503_093211.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210503_091024.jpg
    20210503_091024.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 0
Backup? As in singular? I have my backup backed up with backups: Sapphire Pulse Vega 56, XFX DD R9 290 (lifetime warranty on this one), XFX R7 360 (warranty replacement for HD 6870), XFX HD 4850.

causticspill , lifetime is usually "lifetime of a product's cycle" printed somewhere in fine text, which means until unit reaches end of life cycle, aka discontinued.
I'm fairly certain that this is a true lifetime warranty based on purchasing the "Double Dissapation" model of the card and getting it registered with XFX at the time. Although if it died I am sure I would get whatever "equivalent" old card they have lying around, and certainly not a 6700XT.

Got an aorus master 3080 rev 1 and back up is an xtreme 1080 ti after that a 780, 470, 8800, and if really need got trusty 6600 gt x2 gigabyte but not sure if it works outside that motherboard never tried

You got into PCs recently?

That was partly a joke. The 2080S is in my HTPC to power Madvr. The 1080ti is in a machine in the family room for some gaming and also Madvr. 2060 is the only card really not needed but I'm keeping it as a backup for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately nothing at the moment 🤣

Would be a really $hitty time for my main GPU to take a dump.

Unfortunately nothing at the moment 🤣

Would be a really $hitty time for my main GPU to take a dump.

I so want to update the paste and pads on my 3090 but the sheer cost, and chance of replacing it being nil, scares me.
I'm good for the task being an EEE but theres always that what if?
Even though I have a spare card I'm just as scared as you about harming my top card.

If it was a 3080 and I could get another I'd be all over the upgrade.
Might still do it though, I have some nutter days :D

I so want to update the paste and pads on my 3090 but the sheer cost, and chance of replacing it being nil, scares me.
I'm good for the task being an EEE but theres always that what if?
Even though I have a spare card I'm just as scared as you about harming my top card.

If it was a 3080 and I could get another I'd be all over the upgrade.
Might still do it though, I have some nutter days :D

I don't blame you. If the memory is legitimately overheating (spec is 95C for Micron IC's), I would be raising hell to RMA the card. If a company wants to sell a $$$$ graphics card, it's THEIR job to build it right, not the consumer's.

I don't blame you. If the memory is legitimately overheating (spec is 95C for Micron IC's), I would be raising hell to RMA the card. If a company wants to sell a $$$$ graphics card, it's THEIR job to build it right, not the consumer's.
It hits 96C but in the summer its gonna be higher.
I'm not happy with 96C anyway which is why I'm considering the mod, it made up to 20C difference on other cards.

I dont trust what I get back from an RMA will be any better and could have other issues.
And I might be months without a card which is a real waste considering how long they remain useful at the high end.
So its a matter of having a brave/crazed day to do it :)

1. 1660 Super currently sitting in my Plex Server/Emulation Station
2. 750 OC

Most of my PC components rarely die on me, so I think I'll do alright (unless my ASUS 3070 OC is less than impressive over time).

Main: RTX 2070 Max-Q laptop that performs loosely like a desktop 2060

Backup: GTX 980, GTX 760 4 GB... leftover Quadro NVS 295 cards at work because I'm seriously short on even half-decent PCIe GPUs.

I've had that same GTX 980 since November 2015, was hoping to upgrade with an RTX 3080 for my Valve Index's sake, but yeah, you can guess how well that plan worked out. The goal was to put the 980 in the family desktop my bro uses to game, then move the 760 in that to a Mac Pro 3,1 to see if I can get Metal support out of it to run Mojave, basically get a nice trickle-down going, but that's clearly not working out when new GPUs worth buying just aren't available.

Heck, it might get to the point where I start having to back up all the way to the AGP era, 7800 GT, Voodoo5 5500 and all that... or even PCI era Voodoo2 SLI. Can't buy new hardware to play new games properly? Start playing the classics...

@JSHamlet234 , I am sure their reply will be:

"works as intended, no malfunction present. RMA when failure occurs and you are within waranty period."

Oh, I'm sure. If they even acknowledge that there's a problem, they would probably try to blame the case ventilation.

Either the Rtx 2080 or 2070 in my laptops, which are about equal to 2060 Super and 2060 desktop cards.

And I keep thinking I should sell my 3080s since I really don't need the power to run most of the games I play nowadays.

Radeon VII. I actually have it plugged into my rig next to my 3080. Kinda works with dual monitors, but mostly just using the inside of my pc for storage space.

GTX 1070Ti primary, R9 280X spare. Not worth selling the 280X at this point, so I'll just hold on to it in case my 1070Ti dies and I can't get another for some time.

At this point I will just pull one of the GPU's from my other systems. Which TBH I am lucky since I have a 3080, 6800XT and a 3090.

I don't have a "backup GPU" for my main system, but I have an entire backup computer on my KVM only a few button presses away. That computer uses 3x GeForce GTX680 in SLI. Aside from not having DX12 or Freesync support, the 3x GTX680s still do very well in the games that I care about.

The 680s carried me along for many years. I got the first one as a replacment for the 2x 4870x2 in quad-crossfire that I was running before. Then I got a 2nd GTX 680 not long afterward. I ran that 2-way SLI setup for a few years. Right about when I was going to replace those with a newer single card was when the first crypto mining boom occured. Instead of paying the inflated prices for a new card, I just got a 3rd GTX 680 instead. Used that triple-SLI setup until I got my 2080.

Last edited:
MSI 1080 Gaming X is currently the backup, although I also have a MSI 970 Gaming X in a old Intel machine of mine.

im afraid to repaste and new pad the 3090FE i got as watching GN vids i still havent seen his update on what cuased him to lose performance for opening them. untill then i dont wanna risk it.

im afraid to repaste and new pad the 3090FE i got as watching GN vids i still havent seen his update on what cuased him to lose performance for opening them. untill then i dont wanna risk it.

He lost performance because the stock pads can't be re-used. They compress way too much. There was no "Memory junction temperature" back then, so he was probably phantom throttling (or even had a large core to core hotspot delta!) and didn't even know it.
Proof? I've opened my 3090 FE over 15 times now (various repastes, shunt mods, fixing shunt mods, removing MG842AR silver paint for proper shunt mods, proper thermal pads on my very last disassembly 13 days ago (FINALLY got the core to core hotspot delta to not degrade anymore after switching from Thermalright Odyssey 1.5mm pads to Gelid Extreme 1.5mm pads!!). Gelid Extremes, NOT Gelid Ultimates.

To repad your card, buy four packs of these. (1.5mm).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWDT6RC

Or 8 in stock if you want to get them here.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/gelid-solutions-llc/TP-GP01-C/13587347

Or if you want to wait, you can get 120mm * 120mm giant sized samples from Aliexpress.

One whole pack can do the VRAM chips on one side of the card. So that will take 2 packs for both sides' VRAM chips only.
The third pack you will need for the GPU Side VRM strips. Then you will use the leftovers from the three packs + the 4th pack for the PCB hotspots on the backplate side.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back