• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

WD VelociRaptor

Why did you have so many failures? Was it an actual drive failure or some sort of controller issue resulting in a dropped drive?
Wish I knew, and it was SCSI equipment with Adaptec and MegaRAID controllers that I still own but no longer use. The stupidest little thing seemingly brought down the arrays. After so many drives and controllers I used over the years, I was not able to narrow down the failures. Don't get me wrong, I have had arrays run for well over a year, but that's still too short a time to have a failure with an array, IMO. For me it was unacceptable, for others maybe not. It depends on your tolerance (no pun) and your application. YMMV.

I'd be surprised to see high failure rates for any modern drive, especially these since they have a 1.4 million hours MTBF.
Very possible, but I am less chance taking than I was when in my 20s. ;)

Note: By failure I mean an array failure, not a component failure, which is different. I don't think I ever experienced a failure due to a malfunctioning disk. The array usually became corrupt or something else caused it to fail (ie. not being read/detected by the RAID controller properly).
 
Wow, WD has horrible customer service.

Can you give me an estimate for the release date of the WD1500GLFS as seen here?
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/2178-001010.pdf
Thanks

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

The VelociRaptor has been officially released. The drive is currently available in limited quantities through some retail channels.

http://www.pclaunches.com/hard_drive/wd_velociraptor_10000rpm_hdd_announced.php

Think I'm gonna call them out after this last final tomorrow.
 
Wow, WD has horrible customer service.

Think I'm gonna call them out after this last final tomorrow.

No need - I can answer on WD's behalf:

"We intend to release the 150GB VelociRaptor once the initial buying frenzy for the WD3000GLFS has died down, and our market analysts are sure releasing the WD1500GLFS won't significantly hurt sales of the dearer model with its higher margins. We don't know ourselves yet when that will be, and we certainly wouldn't tell you if we did, because actually we'd rather you bought the 300GB version, preferably at a high price as soon as possible after its release." :D
 
I was running RAID 0 for years since the 90s before most on this forum knew what it was, but haven't configured an array for the better part of a decade. Why? I can't recall how many times I've lost data because of a failure. Even when I started to make drive clones, it was a major inconvenience to recover from a failure. You can't tell me that 5% (it's probably more, BTW) increase in performance is worth the potential hassle?? For me it isn't, hence no more arrays, TYVM.

I see it only beneficial to those who are doing very disk-intensive apps like video editing.

u must have bad luck as i have been running 3 of the original raptors in raid 0 over 4 years without data loss.
 
u must have bad luck as i have been running 3 of the original raptors in raid 0 over 4 years without data loss.

I think their point is it's a crap shoot. I'll give my story. In my first 16 or so years of owning computers (with 1 or more HD's), I never had a single drive die, and I've got the shoe boxes of old HD's to prove it.

In year 17 I lost a drive.
In year 18 I lost the warranty replacement of the first dead drive.
In year 19, I lost a drive (wd5000ks) that I'd bought just prior to losing the 2nd drive.

I've never run raid, but my attitude about HD's was that htey rarely die, so no worries. And I still think that's largely true, but as my recent history shows, it's only a matter of time, before you get a drive that dies early.
 
u must have bad luck as i have been running 3 of the original raptors in raid 0 over 4 years without data loss.
Yes, probably was, but I'll reiterate what I mentioned before that it wasn't due to drive failure, and the equipment was SCSI not SATA (not suggesting one is better than the other).
 
My two 36GB raptors have been in Raid0 since 2003, without issue. Started on an NF7-S NForce2, then NForce4, and now NForce590, never a problem.

Glad to hear about the 150GB VR, I'll be gitin me a couple of them.
 
uh oh the hype for the vraptor is fading on me..

They better hurry up and get them in stock, Paper launches FTL! :eek:
 
uh oh the hype for the vraptor is fading on me..

They better hurry up and get them in stock, Paper launches FTL! :eek:

Come On Jason!

Looks like they have @ 20 back ordered.....

raptorxq9.png



We can still be the first on the block!
 
Will the release of these new RAPTORS drive the old RAPTOR price down??

Not by much. What you'll see is sites like Newegg offering their own rebates and incentives to get these things cleared out. That's the way its' always been with Raptors. As it is the 150GB drives are pretty cheap if you know where to look.
 
Will that be good for a laptop?

Nope. It's s a small drive, but the heatsink it comes attached to is required. Taking it off the heatsink voids its warranty. Also, it is a good bit thicker than normal laptop drives, so it would not fit in most harddrive bays (read: pretty much all) so even if you were willing to take the heatsink off and have no warranty it still would be very unlikely to work.
 
If they are going to sell the 150GB Raptors (OLD VERSION) for low price, I am looking to buy another 2 of them to have a total of 5x150GB Raptors in RAID 0..
 
[LYL]Homer;1032510398 said:
150gb's cheaper than $~150 AR or $160 on sale? Do tell....and don't say eBay.

Not really but that's pretty good considering what they were priced at on release.
 
If they are going to sell the 150GB Raptors (OLD VERSION) for low price, I am looking to buy another 2 of them to have a total of 5x150GB Raptors in RAID 0..

That many drives in RAID0? Good luck with that. I wouldn't do it.
 
That many drives in RAID0? Good luck with that. I wouldn't do it.

Heh, I already have 4 HDD's in RAID 0. Drives that were used. Drives from 2003. lol

I'm waiting for this thing to blow up on me! ;)
 
Heh, I already have 4 HDD's in RAID 0. Drives that were used. Drives from 2003. lol

I'm waiting for this thing to blow up on me! ;)

I've had issues with Raptors failing out of RAID 10 and RAID 5 arrays on multiple occasions. Though I think I have that solved now. In any case I'd be scared to use them in RAID 0. For another thing I don't need that much space in non-redundant storage. If you really need space then a 500GB drive makes more sense than storing things on a super large RAID 0 array.

It seems to me that 3, 4 or 5 Raptors in a RAID 0 array leaves to many potential points of failure.
 
I've had many different Raptors in RAID0 since they were realeased. Never had an issue, EVER. That said, I always back up my stuff and am always prepared for a failure, but it has never happened. And when/if it does, I rebuild it right back. I can't wait to get 2-3 of these VRaptors in RAID0.
 
Heh, I already have 4 HDD's in RAID 0. Drives that were used. Drives from 2003. lol

I'm waiting for this thing to blow up on me! ;)
I have had anywhere from 2 to 5 SCSI drives in RAID 0 arrays in the past. There were diminishing returns with the performance in configurations above 2-3 drive arrays. They never scaled well beyond a certain number of drives. Perhaps today's hardware is superior, I don't know.

More importantly, the arrays were just too unreliable with that many drives, and I was using enterprise level equipment, not desktop. Dan is right on the money. It's really a crap shoot with RAID 0. You might be running fine for years and then one day something happens, your array is shot. I have seen many users who have run two drive RAID 0 indefinitely without issues, but 5 drives is literally begging for trouble. If you are just placing temporary files on the array, then it's perfectly fine. It's your data.
 
I have had anywhere from 2 to 5 SCSI drives in RAID 0 arrays in the past. There were diminishing returns with the performance in configurations above 2-3 drive arrays. They never scaled well beyond a certain number of drives. Perhaps today's hardware is superior, I don't know.

More importantly, the arrays were just too unreliable with that many drives, and I was using enterprise level equipment, not desktop. Dan is right on the money. It's really a crap shoot with RAID 0. You might be running fine for years and then one day something happens, your array is shot. I have seen many users who have run two drive RAID 0 indefinitely without issues, but 5 drives is literally begging for trouble. If you are just placing temporary files on the array, then it's perfectly fine. It's your data.

Then, for safety's sake, let's just do a RAID 5...
How about that??:)
 
Yeah, not really about the Raptors there. Don't think I'd do Raid 0 with anything over three drives. Both because of diminishing returns and because you're just begging for a hard drive failure at that point. . . regardless of hard drive model or brand.

Then gain, storagereview.com convinced me long ago to stop mucking about with Raid 0 altogether as the performance benefits in single-user situations are largely illusory. I save my Raid setups for our servers at work (Raid 5 of course).
 
I wonder if this would be an appropriate way to get two (or four) of these new beauties packed into a 5.25" bay (sans their heatsinks of course). Someone mentioned that they are a bit taller than standard 2.5" drives. But it sure would be sweet.
 
I wonder if this would be an appropriate way to get two (or four) of these new beauties packed into a 5.25" bay (sans their heatsinks of course). Someone mentioned that they are a bit taller than standard 2.5" drives. But it sure would be sweet.

I linked this earlier in the thread (or maybe it was another velociraptor thread?), but this unit while more expensive appears to be of substantially better quality.

http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/multidrive/q14.html
http://www.scsi4me.com/enhance-q14ss.html

Won't know for sure until the retail units are in peoples hands, but removing the heatsink may void your warranty.
 
I linked this earlier in the thread (or maybe it was another velociraptor thread?), but this unit while more expensive appears to be of substantially better quality.

http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/multidrive/q14.html
http://www.scsi4me.com/enhance-q14ss.html

Won't know for sure until the retail units are in peoples hands, but removing the heatsink may void your warranty.
Very nice. And you're right about them being higher quality. Though, I note that the lower-end one has something the other doesn't: Fan speed control. That 9000RPM fan in the more expensive unit might squeel like a banshee. =)
 
Aside from their dimensions the main problem with using a Velociraptor in a laptop is going to be from the heat they'll generate. It won't be at all pleasant in a laptop chassis.
 
dude its been like 3 weeks!! jesus :(

JUST LAUNCH THE DAMN THING FOR RETAIL!!!!
 
Back
Top