WD VelociRaptor

I too have been waiting for the WD3000 to become available. I was wondering there are 300GB 10k RPM SAS drives. Would they work in a SATA II system? Aren't they the same interface?

- Roger

I too have been waiting for the WD3000 to become available. I was wondering there are 300GB 10k RPM SAS drives. Would they work in a SATA II system? Aren't they the same interface?

- Roger

Well no....but you could buy a simple PCI-E x1 adapter (here). And the 300GB Maxtor SAS drive from here.

Interesting. I could get a 300GB SAS drive and the controller for less $ than a single VR.

Would anyone know how a new Velocirapor drive would compare to a 10k SAS drive performance wise? I am kind of tired waiting for a VD.

- Roger

Interesting. I could get a 300GB SAS drive and the controller for less $ than a single VR.

Would anyone know how a new Velocirapor drive would compare to a 10k SAS drive performance wise? I am kind of tired waiting for a VD.

- Roger

And you can get a 300GB VR for 1/3rd the price of a SSD with one tenth the storage size. *shrug*

As for your wish to get "a VD" from a "Velocirapor" I can't help you there. :eek:

Now that some have bought it already--can anybody confirm if it's with clear cover like this:

1208800052LTDR5N9u2X_1_21_l.jpg

Even Newegg's images show a clear cover. Thankx!

Now that some have bought it already--can anybody confirm if it's with clear cover like this:

Even Newegg's images show a clear cover. Thankx!
unfortunately not

To add insult to injury, Newegg is advertising a Retail package, but it shows up as drive only. I submitted a ticket. I hope they offer to do something to help.

To add insult to injury, Newegg is advertising a Retail package, but it shows up as drive only. I submitted a ticket. I hope they offer to do something to help.

I'm also going to submit a ticket because all I got were bubble wrapped drives and what I bought said RETAIL.

Hunt

Echo the "retail" versus receiving OEM drives. Even though I bought OEM drives from NewEgg before shipped the same way and haven't had a problem, I'd rather buy elsewhere for OEM drives. But the page said "retail" so I figured nice packaging and good protection. Instead, I got two bubble wrapped drives sitting on top of packing peanuts. Why they can't come up with a better shipping solution than this is beyond me.

i bought one today at newegg.com:) this hd is expensive. but i like the speed, and i need a new drive. why not this drive!
i like the size also. 150gb is just to little for me.

Just got mine today and its great. I don't see a difference from my raptor X raid 0 I had before, seems a little bit faster. Best thing is the hdd is WaY quieter than my older X's.

I too was upset about just getting a bare drive. But, I just checked WD's website and did a warranty check - my SN shows a full 5 year warranty. What are the other advantages of a retail drive?

unfortunately not

Alrite, I'm gonna wait for Western Digital to release this see-through "Velociraptor X" version. My computers are heavily into aesthetics, so it matters a lot to me.

Alrite, I'm gonna wait for Western Digital to release this see-through "Velociraptor X" version. My computers are heavily into aesthetics, so it matters a lot to me.

I've read on several sights that there will not be a see-through version of the Velociraptor.

I ordrede one... Right now I have Vista x64 installed on a Raptor...Can I simply copy the files to the new HD ? or must I reinstalled Vista ?

thanks

I ordrede one... Right now I have Vista x64 installed on a Raptor...Can I simply copy the files to the new HD ? or must I reinstalled Vista ?

thanks

I'd advise against a straight file copy. You could use some imaging/cloning software and that would work a-ok though.

I too was upset about just getting a bare drive. But, I just checked WD's website and did a warranty check - my SN shows a full 5 year warranty. What are the other advantages of a retail drive?
Better packaging so less likely to be damaged in transit.

Better packaging so less likely to be damaged in transit.

Sure, but how much damage will you get with a well packed OEM inside bubble wrap? Seems like any damage you could get would be no worse than with a retail box.

I'm not committed to that statement, but I don't see why it'd the OEM would be any worse.

I've certainly never seen any correlation between OEM and Retail. I've had 1 Retail go down. 1 OEM go down and 1 Refurb go down.

Of the 3, the Refurb lasted the longest. The Retail died within 6 months and the OEM died just over year after I purchased it.

All 3 died between spring 05 and Fall 08....never had a drive die in the 15 years prior to that.

All 3 died between spring 05 and Fall 08....never had a drive die in the 15 years prior to that.

I was just shocked that it wasn't a "retail" packaged drive. But, as long as I have the full 5 year warranty, whats the diff? It's installed and works perfectly.

this thing is amazing. the best harddrive in the world without having anything to do with ssd's.

Oh man.. should I save up for a velociraptor or get another 150gb raptor and raid 0 them? Which will give better performance?

Oh man.. should I save up for a velociraptor or get another 150gb raptor and raid 0 them? Which will give better performance?

Aren't the newer 320/640 drives about as fast as the raptors? Then again, based on realworld tests I've seen, I'm not convinced that the Velociraptors are significantly faster than the 320/640 drives either.

They looked very good on Storage Review, but i saw some where they measured load times, and the difference was minuscule. OTOH, I believe the raptors are actually quieter than those drives and use less power as well.

I'm sure there are some great uses for these drives, but if the load times I've seen are typical, it just seems like you're mostly paying for specs/form factor, than real world performance gains.

That said, maybe these would make more sense in servers as SCSI replacements.

But what do i know....I tend to be a bang for the buck enthusiast (within reason).

Aren't the newer 320/640 drives about as fast as the raptors? Then again, based on realworld tests I've seen, I'm not convinced that the Velociraptors are significantly faster than the 320/640 drives either.

They looked very good on Storage Review, but i saw some where they measured load times, and the difference was minuscule. OTOH, I believe the raptors are actually quieter than those drives and use less power as well.

I'm sure there are some great uses for these drives, but if the load times I've seen are typical, it just seems like you're mostly paying for specs/form factor, than real world performance gains.

That said, maybe these would make more sense in servers as SCSI replacements.

But what do i know....I tend to be a bang for the buck enthusiast (within reason).

I would say bang for the buck I would go with those 640s. Larger, cheaper, and nearly as fast. I would still assume the raptors as louder since they are a faster spindle speed. Not that I would care myself.

If performance was my only concern, I would get some 15,000 rpm SAS drives.

"I would still assume the raptors as louder since they are a faster spindle speed."

No, they aren't louder, they are 2.5" format drives and very quiet.

I love how much wrong information really has been thrown around in this thread... We really should maybe lock this and someone should start a velociraptor truth vs myth thread.

I love how much wrong information really has been thrown around in this thread... We really should maybe lock this and someone should start a velociraptor truth vs myth thread.
about the same amount of wrong information as any Disk Storage Systems thread

Was wondering, if someone is willing to spend $300 on the 10,000 rpmVelociRaptor, wouldnt it be better to spend about $260 on the Fujitsu 147GB 15,000 RPM drive?

I mean I would assume most people would purchase the velociraptor for its fast seak times and as an os/fast boot drive and would generally have another drive for storage. Since that is the case, isnt it better to get a higher RPM drive for a little less (THOUGH ofcourse the gb/price ratio is MUCH worse)?

Actually is the Fujitsu better (faster read times, write times, seak times) because it is a 15k drive compared to the 10k velociraptor or is there some other variable that I have overlooked which would would make the velociraptor superior (NOT COUNTING GB/PRICE!)?

On a side note, does anyone know of a reasonable estimate on when the 150 gb version of the velociraptor will come out? I KNOW it is not official (that there will be a 150 gb version) but can anyone give an estimate (based on things like how long it took WD or any other HD company to release a smaller gb version of an enthusiast product) of when the 150gb may come out. Or will just WD simply wait for the enthusiam of the 300gb version to run out then introduce the 150 version?

Back