WD VelociRaptor

Nice!

Two questions....

1. Who's gonna be the first on the block to get one?
2. When will we the see the first "Are the new Raptors worth the money" thread? :D

When I saw 2.5" drive I was like "NOOOO" then I saw the benchmarks :D
30% improvement over WD1500ADFD and power consumption similar to the WD Green Power :D :D Nice!!

Here is StorageReview's look at it
http://www.storagereview.com/WD3000BLFS.sr

Also, any word on other sizes? I don't need anything bigger than 74GB honestly.

Nah thanks....too expensive, too little storage and too late.
Raptors are about speed, not capacity. I don't understand why people want huge capacities in these things. What do you need that much space for? Superfast access to your movies? :rolleyes:

Nice!

Two questions....

2. When will we the see the first "Are the new Raptors worth the money" thread? :D
I wanna know who's gonna be the first to put one in their laptop :eek::eek:

RTFA
Although the VelociRaptor is a 2.5" hard drive, it does not fit into notebooks due to its greater height. Notebook hard drives typically stick to a 9.5 mm height; some high-capacity models (the current 500 GB notebook drives) utilize three platters and hence occupy a 12.5 mm height. The new Raptor, however, fits into the format for 2.5" enterprise hard drives, which allows for a total height of 15 mm.

Heh. $1.00/gig. Hopefully the price will fall after awhile.

Why is the capacity such an issue? It's twice the largest Raptor with better performance and less power consumption. Why is that something to cry about? Raptors are meant to be OS drives. These are the best of both. Hell, 300GB is too much for an OS drive, but for storage, a bunch of these would be stellar.

Nice!

Two questions....

I got the $$$ and would get one as soon as they start selling, I've been holding over using an old 275GB 5400 for my rig. I upgraded from a laptop so I'm not going to subject myself to slow HD's ever again if I can help it.

Back in the day, I bought 4 of the WD360GDs... and still run them all in a stripe.

I'm in for 4 when they come out - that's incredible speed.

Wake me when it's ~2x the average cost per GB of drives that are still damn near as fast.

Sorry, but I'm still unimpressed, and it's still loud as hell. 38dB makes it far louder than anything else in my case -- if they were going to slap a 2.5" drive in a 'caddy' like that, they could've at least included some kind of sound deadening system.

I'll wait for the price to drop. Too expensive (but what isn't at release).

Wake me when it's ~2x the average cost per GB of drives that are still damn near as fast.

Sorry, but I'm still unimpressed, and it's still loud as hell. 38dB makes it far louder than anything else in my case -- if they were going to slap a 2.5" drive in a 'caddy' like that, they could've at least included some kind of sound deadening system.

the way fans etc are measured is completely different. storagereview measures at 3mm distance, and fans are usually measured at 1 meter. the drive is very quiet.

Hm some guy at dailytech mentioned trying to put one of these in a PS3....I wonder what that would do for load times.

Definitely can't wait to get one of these, the Raptor has needed an upgrade for a while now.

It wont be Compatible with a lot of Laptops.. Many laptops use 2.5 Drives that are 9mm Thick.. This one is 15mm Thick.. Its a "Fat Boy"..

Works great for Servers though..

I can not be the only person to wince at the name. Why does the computer industry use way-cool codenames like Clawhammer, Katmai, or Granite Bay, and then replace them with either something that sounds like a SKU code or something their kid dreamt up?

Seriously, though, would these things work with those drive cages that hold 4x 2.5" drives in a single 5.25" bay? 4x raid zero of these things would be decently quick. Horrendously priced, but fassssst.

neat, but certainly not earth-shattering.

question is do thay have a model with a window in it?

that'd be fun, but not as flashy at the raptor-x i think because of the ice pack cooler. the cooler itself doesn't look terrible IMHO. could look decent in a windowed case if reversed.

I would like for there to be a 150GB version since I don't need 300 gigs for my OS drive.

QFT. still has a slightly a better cost/GB ratio than the old raptors. i might be in for one sooner or later, but i wouldn't say it's my #1 priority (ditching this damn 8600 is).

How will this new raptors compare to the WD6400AAKS?

Yesterday I ordered 3 of the "WD6400AAKS" hdd. The only reason that’s holding me back not to cancel 2 of my hdd from my current purchase is the noise lvls that the new raptors have. It’s basically the same thing as the old once, which in my opinion are very loud! I know that I am going to be very tempted by this hdd because it took almost 2 month for me to convince my self that the 150g hdd are not that great compared to some of the current once. I know that at the end I will have to get one, just so I can stop wandering on what I'm missing out! Its just how I am

I can not be the only person to wince at the name. Why does the computer industry use way-cool codenames like Clawhammer, Katmai, or Granite Bay, and then replace them with either something that sounds like a SKU code or something their kid dreamt up?

Just wait for the VelociRaptor Extreme™. :cool:

[LYL]Homer;1032394595 said:

Great link, thank you. I guess the 640AAKS are still good :D One thing I cant understand, in the noise levels section of this review, the raptor and the 640 are almost the same...how can this be true?

[LYL]Homer;1032394601 said:
Just wait for the VelociRaptor Extreme™. :cool:

Where did u hear about the Extreme from? any links?

Great link, thank you. I guess the 640AAKS are still good :D One thing I cant understand, in the noise levels section of this review, the raptor and the 640 are almost the same...how can this be true?

Where did u hear about the Extreme from? any links?
I think he made it up

How will this new raptors compare to the WD6400AAKS?

Yesterday I ordered 3 of the "WD6400AAKS" hdd. The only reason that’s holding me back not to cancel 2 of my hdd from my current purchase is the noise lvls that the new raptors have. It’s basically the same thing as the old once, which in my opinion are very loud! I know that I am going to be very tempted by this hdd because it took almost 2 month for me to convince my self that the 150g hdd are not that great compared to some of the current once. I know that at the end I will have to get one, just so I can stop wandering on what I'm missing out! Its just how I am

From the Reports, the new Raptor is 7db quieter than the Old, Basically its 1/3 the noise level.

From the Reports, the new Raptor is 7db quieter than the Old, Basically its 1/3 the noise level.

Don’t know much about the db, but I think 7 is a good drop! When I was looking for fans someone told me that 27db & 34db is a big difference. It would be really interesting to see how loud they will get.

You deffinetly don't wont to jump on this one just yet:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=432
Our HDTune and HDTach results kept indicating a massive drop in transfer rates on the outer diameter of the platters, an area where the drive should be the fastest and not the slowest. This pattern continued with our IPEAK and file transfer tests.
Western Digital informed us the press review samples were engineering drives with early firmware. In fact, Western Digital felt so strongly about this that they included errata in the press kit stating the firmware was about 90% completed.
Western Digital will have this performance drop out fixed before releasing the drives to Alienware next week or retail channels in late May. That said, our “preview” of the drive will be published shortly. We did not want to post a review that offered inconclusive or inconsistent results until we verified problems encountered during testing. As such, we do not plan to “review” the drive until final firmware is available.

Don’t know much about the db, but I think 7 is a good drop! When I was looking for fans someone told me that 27db & 34db is a big difference. It would be really interesting to see how loud they will get.

Since db isn't linear, thats like what, half? Or how does that work?

LI.GIF

Good news. I was hoping this would be not just a boost in capacity, but in performance as well. Anyone know when these things hit the store?

I will definitely be getting one in the summer and then probably another next year. These are awesome, Literally ottles of space for os, apps and games. Then have some big backup drives for videos, music, and other data.

Nice!

Two questions....

I will order as soon as the newer revision is out :cool:

I said months ago that we would see a new 300 Gb model this Spring,and people here told me I was wrong ! :p

Back