• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD VelociRaptor

you can always break the rules ;)

besides, thats just OSHA, half the people who are supposed to follow it, dont.

......and suffer the consequences for it. My father has moderate to severe permenate hearing loss due to construction noise. And it's not just a loss equal across the scale, some frequencies he has little loss, some he can't really hear anymore at all. Hearing aids (which he spent $1500 for EACH one, left and right ear) help somewhat, but they just amplify all frequencies. His sound perception has changed, he said if it was like sight it would be going from seeing color to being color blind.:(
 
thanks a lot, WD :rolleyes:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

I apologize. I cannot advise as to whether we will or will not be releasing a 150GB VelociRaptor drive with a single platter.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the website for new releases and updates.
 

Yea not really fair to compare a $4000 product to a $300 one. Especially with SSD in its infancy. The VR tends to do really well for transfer rates, the SSD really only has the major edge on the access time.

PS: Anyone want a VelociRaptor wallpaper I just threw together for the heck of it? (lame photoshop skills to the max :D)


Agreed ! Too much bellyaching and bitching.300 is hardly a lot of money these days,especially when considering the blazing performance these drive offer.

And thanks for the wallpaper ! :) :cool:


Not to get off topic here, but I have been a lurker on this forum for years, posting occasionally.

What on earth is up with all of the complaining?

These drives are presumably the fastest mechanical consumer level drives you can buy. They tear up the benchies, don't suck alot of juice, and won't force you to sell plasma to purchase them.

I am sitting here wondering what in the hell has happened to the enthusiast crowd.

I will be all over these for a nice raid setup, that presumably will cost me 1/5th what SSD will.

Sounds like a winner to me.

How can they put it up there? You have to remove your fist first!

I've always too found this ironic, but not just about hard drives.

I see people splurging like $1200 on video cards, but getting the cheapest motherboard or PSU they can find. All the parts in your rig work together for the common goal: speed. Leaving one component to the wind is like taking an all-star team and adding some scrawny little kid who'll fumble the ball or trip up the MVP. It just doesn't make sense. If you're splurging, splurge on it all! Best of everything.

/mini-rant :p


Agreed.Why is it when cool stuff like this comes out,the 'woe is me' crowd,crawls out of the woodwork to try and shit on everyones parade !? The [H] in many members here needs to be revoked,or has died altogether ! :p Its amzing how people on here have thier
pc performaance priorities totally effed up.
 
So tempting to buy when they come out but im going to wait. Im sure there will be further firmware updates once the product comes out that enhances performace a little more. Probably be another 6 months before i upgrade to two of these to replace my 2nd gen raptors.

I've read the reviews for the Veloci's and they look pretty good, but will there be a noticeable difference to my 150's? (asides from the capacity :) )
 
I've read the reviews for the Veloci's and they look pretty good, but will there be a noticeable difference to my 150's? (asides from the capacity :) )

Well from what I can tell from everything I've read they should be up to 30% faster than the older 150GB drives.
 
Well from what I can tell from everything I've read they should be up to 30% faster than the older 150GB drives.

and quieter if i read correctly? :confused::D

Now i just need a place where they have stock!!! :eek:
 
and quieter if i read correctly? :confused::D

Now i just need a place where they have stock!!! :eek:

Yeah, that is my understanding as well. To be honest I don't care how quiet the drives are. I'm used to enterprise SCSI and SAS drives in large arrays. So there isn't a desktop drive made that will bother me.
 
Well from what I can tell from everything I've read they should be up to 30% faster than the older 150GB drives.

yow! I was thinking it would be more like %5ish. A %30 increase over the 150's in performance, and double the capacity is a lot more dramatic.
 
yow! I was thinking it would be more like %5ish. A %30 increase over the 150's in performance, and double the capacity is a lot more dramatic.

It was mentioned in the thread earlier. I do not know this to be the case myself.
 
For someone like me who has several 1st gen 74GB Raptors the increase in performance with the VR would be closer to maybe 40% even 45% more just considering the increase in performance the 150GB model gave over them.
 
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11696

I want a 120Gb SSD model,at 649 USD its a damn good deal given what little info i have on it now...
those SSDs are SLOOOOW
All of the drives use a SATA-II interface and contain multi-level cell (MLC) NAND memory. The use of MLC memory means that these new "budget" drives can't hold a candle to SLC drives when it comes to write performance. However, all three drives manage to achieve read speeds of 120MB/sec and write speeds of 40MB/sec.
 
SSD's are the best # of IOPS/$ right now.
my comment was directed at the specific drives linked, not all SSDs in general
there are no benchmarks of the new supertalent drives so no data on IOPS, but even the Mtron ones suck without the special MFT driver

go to the IOMeter Results - Random Write IOPs
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/mobi/

not that IOMeter is an accurate measurement of single-user performance
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Benchmarks
 
[LYL]Homer;1032456505 said:
There was an update to the Anandtech preview: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3303

Yup, but the timed tests don't really expose much value at the current price. In most cases, the difference between it and the 640mb drive are pretty small. I think the greatest delta was 6 seconds on a 120+ second operation.

The only way I could possibly justify it is heat and noise (ironic, since that was always the Raptor's achillies heal).
 
Yup, but the timed tests don't really expose much value at the current price. In most cases, the difference between it and the 640mb drive are pretty small. I think the greatest delta was 6 seconds on a 120+ second operation.

The only way I could possibly justify it is heat and noise (ironic, since that was always the Raptor's achillies heal).

I agree, the timed tests are pretty disappointing and one reason I'm considering SSDs. Hoping to see some more reviews and better numbers.
 
I agree, the timed tests are pretty disappointing and one reason I'm considering SSDs. Hoping to see some more reviews and better numbers.


If nothing else,its a definite sign that SSD's are finally dropping in price in big chunks.
 
wow nice find! :D

thanks, if you google WD1500GLFS, my post earlier in this thread and that PDF are the only results :p

I sent them an email asking for a release date. Maybe they will acknowledge the drive exists now :cool:
 
thanks, if you google WD1500GLFS, my post earlier in this thread and that PDF are the only results :p

I sent them an email asking for a release date. Maybe they will acknowledge the drive exists now :cool:

lol they will probably deny it and next time u check that pdf its gonna come off. :D
 
thanks, if you google WD1500GLFS, my post earlier in this thread and that PDF are the only results :p

I sent them an email asking for a release date. Maybe they will acknowledge the drive exists now :cool:
arg
Here's hoping the 150GB release date is simultaneous with the 300gb. My main PC is needing a system drive, and I would do well with a 150GB drive.
 
awesome! I'd much rather have two 150s in RAID 0 than a single 300...
Same here.

Because although RAID-0 has very limited benefits, it does have some benefits - about a 5% increase in performance depending on what you're doing.
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0
And you're not really giving anything up other than great risk for data loss, but that's no really an issue unless you don't have any storage drives.
 
Because although RAID-0 has very limited benefits, it does have some benefits - about a 5% increase in performance depending on what you're doing.
And you're not really giving anything up other than great risk for data loss, but that's no really an issue unless you don't have any storage drives.
I was running RAID 0 for years since the 90s before most on this forum knew what it was, but haven't configured an array for the better part of a decade. Why? I can't recall how many times I've lost data because of a failure. Even when I started to make drive clones, it was a major inconvenience to recover from a failure. You can't tell me that 5% (it's probably more, BTW) increase in performance is worth the potential hassle?? For me it isn't, hence no more arrays, TYVM.

I see it only beneficial to those who are doing very disk-intensive apps like video editing.
 
I was running RAID 0 for years since the 90s before most on this forum knew what it was, but haven't configured an array for the better part of a decade. Why? I can't recall how many times I've lost data because of a failure. Even when I started to make drive clones, it was a major inconvenience to recover from a failure. You can't tell me that 5% (it's probably more, BTW) increase in performance is worth the potential hassle?? For me it isn't, hence no more arrays, TYVM.

I see it only beneficial to those who are doing very disk-intensive apps like video editing.
Like I said, performance increase depends on what you're doing. I don't really count synthetic benchmarks and that's where you'll see the largest increase.

Why did you have so many failures? Was it an actual drive failure or some sort of controller issue resulting in a dropped drive?
I'd be surprised to see high failure rates for any modern drive, especially these since they have a 1.4 million hours MTBF.
 
Back
Top