Warhammer Online Thread!

WTS SSB, FBSS torch1 pst ;)

I will always consider Everquest the best MMO I've ever played... I still would like to see the challenging aspects of EQ used in a new MMO... well besides guk corpse runs... :p Getting my shaman epic spear mid Velious days with my guild and those plane raids has to be some of the greatest gaming moments of my life... Even early EQ questing for every piece of my shaman Totemic armor... just thinking about that makes me excited... The epic plane of air raid our guild did for 4 days straight... camped our characters up there... We cleared the entire plane... If you think anything in wow compares to the difficulty of clearing the plane of air mid kunark days you haven't played a real MMO. :p

Yep, eq by far has been my most enjoyable mmo, eq back in the day was such good times.. damn was I addicted to that game lol

yep... eq1 was amazing. Have yet to re acquire that level of hardcore addiction, played most out since, but nothing grabs like that did back in the day! I started late too..on Velious expansion. Pre Lucilin, so I did know what it was like to not have the spires, or later..books in PoP lol. druids owned for those travel days, cause str8 up, the boats sux0red! Was there for a bunch of server first kills in Lucilin, PoP.. then left for a while (swg, doac, etc.. ) went back in Ro, TSS..then left again! lol

My old raiding guild is still out there! can't believe it.. Fire and Fury on Firiona Vie ( I still check the members guild page.. )

Anyway, wow had me for a while..then lost interest in raiding, mmo's period for a while. Actually hoping to get somewhat addicted to WAR..I need something to divert my never stopping brain..reading tech site like this here..makes me want to keep spending money I don't need to, and politcal stuff just makes me want to go out and start a revolution..go go the power of 1 vs. 100mil :(

Need a good new game! Hope WAR is it!

Alrighty, with the open beta beginning tomorrow and playing some today, here's what I've noticed.

1) My client has some sort of memory leak, I noticed it a lot yesterday. Other people on the forum have said negatory on this, but whatever is causing it is a PITA.

2) Today I didn't notice the memory leak nearly as much, and this would normally be a good thing...except the reason I didn't notice it was because the server kept mini-crashing. Parts of it would go down and do little roll backs (log back in somewhere else with quest uncompleted you already had done). Really irritating on those cave crawl quests when it keeps resetting them. This may have also happened in Scenarios but with all the disconnecting for awhile there I thought it was a new manifestation of my memory leak problem.

3) These server crashes did not happen noticeably like this for me the last preview weekend, so hopefully it's something they can fix but for right now it happening every 20-30 minutes for the last couple hours. And inbetween crashes, you lag. A lot. I thought it was the memory leak, but other people were complaining and shortly after pop went the server again.

4) PQs being more broken than the last preview weekend, and general NPCs become unattackable while they continue to hit you. Had this happen on an assortment of the PQs where bosses, objectives, and other things would become unattackable so often that they'd reset to full health and the timer would run out before we could manage to kill him. Might be related to the servers being wonky, who knows. Either way it's really irritating to have trouble getting influence, and then having the server go down and reset it.

5) I hope someone has an open petition on that overly long cooldown on the recall book, I don't see any good reasoning behind it besides "Make you run more to make things take longer." I'd much rather have a long recall casting time, and a short cooldown if it's something related to PVP because the ping-pong quests ...especially the ones way out in the distance by itself gets old running to and back from. Right now Im using the recall by death method when I get somewhere I don't feel like fighting my way back through, and the death mechanics just got boosted up in penalties so...yeah.

Overall I gotta say I felt like I was having a lot more fun last preview weekend than I am this preview weekend, I think it's a combination of the slower XP, more running, too long to be useful recall, with a dash of server rollbacks to set the mood. Could live with the PQ problems...the memory leak problem might be something on my end since no one else seems to complain about it.

I tried to preorder it today and the 5x Gamestops near me were out. The Best Buy and Circuit Citys didnt carry it QQ

I tried to preorder it today and the 5x Gamestops near me were out. The Best Buy and Circuit Citys didnt carry it QQ

If you don't require the physical box, why not do Digital Media Pre-Orders aka the likes of Direct2Drive?

Overall I gotta say I felt like I was having a lot more fun last preview weekend than I am this preview weekend, I think it's a combination of the slower XP, more running, too long to be useful recall, with a dash of server rollbacks to set the mood. Could live with the PQ problems...the memory leak problem might be something on my end since no one else seems to complain about it.

Are you sure it isn't because it's not shiny and new this time?

I'm sure this been asked before but, I
Is it normal to get a "Authentication failed, please reenter login crential errors" at this time since the beta doesn't start yet?

just got the new patcher and still getting the error, changed my waronline password a few times to see if that is the 1 causeing it, but no luck

just got the new patcher and still getting the error, changed my waronline password a few times to see if that is the 1 causeing it, but no luck

If you weren't in the preview weekend a few weeks ago then you won't get in now. I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you sure it isn't because it's not shiny and new this time?

I thought it'd come off as such and I even figured it myself for awhile, so I tried some classes I never tried before........and the slow XP just made them irritating to play. The new factor here would be that I wouldn't know my guy will be a lot better in 8 levels or less, but I know this and it's just irritating to shuffle through it and be below the level of the stuff you're questing for once you leave the first tier.

Then i went to characters I really enjoyed playing (Squig Herder), and while I still enjoy playing one, Im getting these "target too close/too far" messages even though the thing doesn't move visually for me. So I am having trouble figuring out where the thing is to the server so I can actually use my skills...and then it moves..just not visually so Im back to guessing where it might be. This would be irritating for me if I were new.

PQs being broken, they were broken preview weekend one..and I found it annoying but not devastating pretty much like this time around. Only problem is, I expected them to be less buggy not more so. So this wouldn't bother me beyond annoyance as a new player, but it bothers me knowing they haven't been fixed.

Server disconnects/crashes/rollbacks. This would be game stopping for me as a new player, and that continues over as me being a returning player. Last preview weekend was light years more stable (server wise) for me than it is now. I even switched to another server to see if it would happen...and I played for about an hour and it booted me in the middle of a PQ..thankfully it didn't reset my influence (again) or I probably would just said f-it.

And the recall timer.....maybe as a new player I wouldn't notice. But with it being on such a long cooldown I probably would have gotten into the habit of not using it like I did in WOW. Im not even sure how long the cooldown is since I didn't bother to do the math on the seconds it lists as it counts down, but it's definitely not meant for regular usage at it's current timer.

Server problems are just killing the game right now for me, once they fix it maybe I can overlook the other changes. It's just discouraging to see the servers go from "Little/No Problems" to "Disconnect/crash/rollback every 30 minutes or so" for at the least the one server I played on the most today 30 minutes was a pretty standard time to expect to be on.

And Im not trying to come off as super negative here, but I am trying to find people who are having or have had similar problems to me so that I can try to resolve them. I want to make the game playable for me before retail, and if I can't..I am not going to get the retail box as I can't afford to dump money into new hardware right now. And Im not seeing anyone else mention what I've mentioned on the forums, so I guess it might just be me.

I'm sure this been asked before but, I
Is it normal to get a "Authentication failed, please reenter login crential errors" at this time since the beta doesn't start yet?

I am still getting this as well and I am sure they are correct, just not time yet I guess.

Im playing on the preview weekend right now... they are taking down servers in a few mins for about an 1hr.... It looks like open beta may go live 12:01 EST.

*edit*

NM I take that back www.fileplanet.com has a count down timer for when the open beta goes live.

Im playing on the preview weekend right now... they are taking down servers in a few mins for about an 1hr.... It looks like open beta may go live 12:01 EST.

Most sites (fileplanet, warhammer herald, etc) are reporting it'll be up tomorrow morning at around 7-10am est.

Doh, I was just about to log on and play for the night. I can confirm that all the North American servers are down.

Edit: Servers are back up, looks like they patched a few things. Chosen auras no longer have a global cooldown, but they lock all other auras for 5 seconds making twisting harder. They also changed one of the Chosen's lower attack skills, taking away the fact that it can't be defended.

So, Open Beta is now a Go. I'm trying to log in right now. Unfortunately there is a 189MB patch thats downloading at 25KBps... This is going to take awhile

yep. woke up at 930 edt, started dl. 73% @ 10:40. of course, there are MANY dl'ing this file..such is life.

Looking forward to logging in tho! Glad it started early, so I have the day to get acquainted.

I thought it'd come off as such and I even figured it myself for awhile, so I tried some classes I never tried before........and the slow XP just made them irritating to play. The new factor here would be that I wouldn't know my guy will be a lot better in 8 levels or less, but I know this and it's just irritating to shuffle through it and be below the level of the stuff you're questing for once you leave the first tier.

Then i went to characters I really enjoyed playing (Squig Herder), and while I still enjoy playing one, Im getting these "target too close/too far" messages even though the thing doesn't move visually for me. So I am having trouble figuring out where the thing is to the server so I can actually use my skills...and then it moves..just not visually so Im back to guessing where it might be. This would be irritating for me if I were new.

PQs being broken, they were broken preview weekend one..and I found it annoying but not devastating pretty much like this time around. Only problem is, I expected them to be less buggy not more so. So this wouldn't bother me beyond annoyance as a new player, but it bothers me knowing they haven't been fixed.

Server disconnects/crashes/rollbacks. This would be game stopping for me as a new player, and that continues over as me being a returning player. Last preview weekend was light years more stable (server wise) for me than it is now. I even switched to another server to see if it would happen...and I played for about an hour and it booted me in the middle of a PQ..thankfully it didn't reset my influence (again) or I probably would just said f-it.

And the recall timer.....maybe as a new player I wouldn't notice. But with it being on such a long cooldown I probably would have gotten into the habit of not using it like I did in WOW. Im not even sure how long the cooldown is since I didn't bother to do the math on the seconds it lists as it counts down, but it's definitely not meant for regular usage at it's current timer.

Server problems are just killing the game right now for me, once they fix it maybe I can overlook the other changes. It's just discouraging to see the servers go from "Little/No Problems" to "Disconnect/crash/rollback every 30 minutes or so" for at the least the one server I played on the most today 30 minutes was a pretty standard time to expect to be on.

I wonder if the issues you are experiencing are related to your internet connection. I have had zero problems. No lag, no disconnects, no crashing. nothing.
Public quests work fine for me. I haven't had any bugs with anything.

I just pre-ordered via Amazon so I can get in on this Open Beta goodness. Wonder how long until they e-mail me the code....

EDIT Okay so Amazon is clearly incompetent and did not even update their product page to the fact that they don't give out any more codes... going to try Gamestop or D2D.

I preordered on Wednesday and got my code on Saturday. But maybe that was just because open beta was starting on Sunday.

Crashing i dont think would be related to the net connection with it blue screening the machine, I mean it's a remote possibility but it's not the most common cause.

Server disconnects, other people were complaining. I was playing on some of the first server to be available over the weekend and they filled up pretty fast, so this may be a factor in the differences between my server and yours.

Rollbacks, definitely not something I could cause, which is basically how I nailed it down as server crashes.

PQs, other people were complaining, again on populated servers, which is why I thought it might be due to server wonkiness.

And, I haven't played yet today so this may be over and done with as problems if they got em patched. But just wanted to reply to point out that Im not coming to these forums with problems right away, Im actually checking with other people playing along side me. So if there's a more stable server out there, I'd love to hear about it.

I canceled my Amazon order and drove over to Gamestop. They handed me my codes on the spot. ;)

What sucks now is downloading this 10gb game 100kb/sec. GEEEE I can really see my Fileplanet subscription paying itself now.... :rolleyes:

I've always had good luck with Best Buy on last minute preorder boxes. Just make sure you go to one that isn't near a college campus or some other place that might be full of gamers and they usually have a handful left.

Open beta not going well for me, I get "critical error" when starting the game.
Then I bang out to windows and see "authentication error".

All in all, not worth the .99 I paid to do the preorder beta.

I've been reading around and I think everyone is getting this. I got to 97% and got an error after 4 hours of downloading the patch. And even if you do get in the servers are all lagged to fuck apparently. So much for getting to try out the beta today.

I've been reading around and I think everyone is getting this. I got to 97% and got an error after 4 hours of downloading the patch. And even if you do get in the servers are all lagged to fuck apparently. So much for getting to try out the beta today.

Seems to be hit or miss on the authentication failures. Hearing of some people getting in and others failing out.

5 more tries then off to do something else.

[This is what I meant to do..]

EDIT: Got in...on Darklands Character name Zoobaby :D

Are the servers stable yet? I tried to play last night after the outage but they kept going down. Luckily the NFL is back so I don't really care today.

Personal Opinions incoming!

I used to be in the First round of Beta Testers but stopped playing due to client crashes and mass memory leaks. At the time I found the game to be charming and unique. The Warrior/Priest class presenting me with that "This is what the WoW Ret Paladin has been waiting for feel"

Now, back in the Open Beta, I can say that, personally, I won't be playing this game much after gold launch. I didn't give the W/P a go again, as I already did that, so I made myself a Greenskin. The Opening enviornment was pretty sweet, with the random explosions and the sense of war. However, I really and truely cannot get past the following (and these are issues that made me not like the first round of betas as well).

1) Character movment. In that, it seems smooth, but un-natural. In that characters seem to glide rather than bounce. Its something I have noticed in LoTRo, and AoC as well. WoW is the only MMO (excluding GW) that, to me, seems to have natural character movement. (Yes the human run does look like something is up their arse) but they have that sort of bounce, and earthy running, that this and other MMO's lack. The smooth gliding of the character sets me off. I mean, if I am going to be looking at my character, I want/need it to look "right" to me.

2) Combat. Combat is still strange to me. In a game all about War, the combat always seemed slow, and still does to me. From the character animation to the all out Public Quest/RvR Scenarios. Nothing about them seems fast paced or very war-like. Yeah, I will admit they are all war-like in that they all have to do with seige this, kill that, capture that. But, nothing has that grand "this-is-a-huge-battle" feeling. This stood out most to be in the RvR scenario where we had to capture points. When the Order met straight on with the Greenskins I expected a fast paced all out "pewpew" affair, that I did not recieve. This also goes back to the "character-gliding" issue. I just didn't get into it much.

For a comparison, I have to go back to WoW, and lets say, Arathi Basin. When the Horde comes headon with the Alliance, the combat seems very fast paced, with effects and effects going off. This just seems to propell the action. I didn't get this same sense in the RvR scenario or PQ I participated in.

3) Combat Continued. More so in the combat arena is simply the time it takes to kill anything. Yes, the quest are simple and don't require much, but when it takes me about 10 presses of 1-2 spell hotkeys to kill a Lvl 1 or 2 something about that slows down the entire game experience for me. Its not that its not fun, it is, but (its hard to explain as most of this is) its just that it doesn't seem right.

4) Distance-Draw. This may be 100% because its still Beta, and not all the content has arrived, or a personal choice on the Engine development, but when things (characters / npcs) appear in the distance they have a very 2D sprit look to them. I'll hit you all up with a screen shot if you don't know or want to see what I mean.

5) Grand World. This is just something I don't think any game but WoW has captured for me. Yes - WAR is a GRAND game, no doubt about that, but there is just something about it that doesn't make it feel grand and large. I feel like this is really due to the artistic styles of all the games, where WoW goes for a slightly cartoonish look, while latter games LoTRO, WAR, AoC, go for a more realistic approach in their structures. Its almost like, WoW is allowed to over-exagerate certain aspects and therefore creates a bigger-feeling world. Its really hard for me to explain, but as I said in the beginning these are jsut personal opinions. WAR just doesn't capture that "here is a huge, breathing, ancient world" to me.

Maybe I am just way to critical, or maybe WoW has crazily spoiled me. Either way, I will 100% keep it on my computer and try go full force at it for the first month. I have no doubt it may grow on me, but it may not. And I just felt the need to share my 2 cents in a thread about, well your WAR experiences :)

Abudhu

My only question to you about WAR since you been in awhile. Did you get past level 10? The game kinda starts to open up at 8, and gets better PVP wise from there for me at least. You actually get useful abilities that aren't just heal/hurt target.

As for the other comments, yeah the servers are lagging like crazy. But they don't seem to be crashing every 20-30 minutes anymore. So that's promising.

The lag really makes pets go crazy, so it gets really tedious with pet classes...so I'd avoid them until the lag dies off.

Abudhu

My only question to you about WAR since you been in awhile. Did you get past level 10? The game kinda starts to open up at 8, and gets better PVP wise from there for me at least. You actually get useful abilities that aren't just heal/hurt target.

Got my W/P to around 15? But, I honestly gave up after that since I was so heavy into WoW and couldn't balance the two.

Still going at it with my GreenSkin though. :) Got some new abilities just a while ago so I am clicking more buttons now!

I'm getting the dreaded "already logged into a different server" message, so I can't log onto my correct server. I've tried deleting the cache folder and waiting 15 minutes like other people have suggested, but no dice.

So far, I'm really liking it. I wish a few things were fixed before launch, but this game is polished enough, and I have enough trust to warrant a purchase. (vs knowing Hellgate and Conan would stay crappy).

Animations aren't fluid, and I don't like Global Cool Down. Abilities are showing that they are ready again, I'll even wait an extra moment before punching them, then I have to stare to see if it really was ready or I get an error. I've also had a few times where I'm unable to hit a monster that is in melee range. I end up just having to stand there and do a weak throwing ability til it dies, because I get Out of Range messages.

Skirmishes seem cool, much better objectives than the outdoor only crap in WoW.

Well server went down just now for the first time today.......so........

And the GCD is really screwed up with the lag, plus the unattackable stuff is happening more often now.

Im thinking their "max pop" for servers needs to be adjusted downward at this point.

When I heard "open beta" I thought it would be open to everyone and not just fileplanet subscribers and preorders. Lame, I would have preordered had I known this.

45 minutes of play was all I needed to decide this game isn't for me. It moves at a snails pace, and I dont mean graphics. Combat is slow, experience is slow, leveling is SLOW. No I dont want to rocket through the levels but after almost an hour I expect to be higher than level 2

^^ Are you kidding me? Leveling couldn't be easier in this game. Go to a zone, load up on quests, go to map, locate the quest spots......go do them.

I was level 6 with only 3 and a half hours played, that's with breaks/log-offs......

When your bored go to the public quests, load up on xp by tagging things.

Levelling is pretty easy for DPS, but I found healers to be a lot slower on doing quests....and they did cut the xp gain down by at least 25% is my guess.....I had to do A LOT more RVR stuff to be equivalent to what I was on top of normal quests at different stages.

It was becoming too hard to do the regular quests when stuff was 2 and 3 levels higher than me, so I stopped to RVR......but with the lag just died a lot since my pet would run off in crazy directions similar to preview weekend 1.

Any graphical or major changes in this open beta compared to the last preview weekend?

Back