Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

If you can get it cheap it's a fun "pick up and play" game that could have been a lot more. If they had worked on this and then released come this Fall it might have been different. There's flashes of potential all over the place. Sometimes some cool things happen but overall this is as others have said: Ubisoft open game #25606845 and take it or leave it.

I played it for about 3 hours and I actually had a lot of fun. The character and gun customization is great and will be better when things are unlocked. I didn't do any coop and just did a single player mission and I took the stealth approach and I can't wait to get back in the game. I will be playing with a friend off and on so we will do the coop but I'm totally happy going single player, graphics are excellent and will only get better when I steal a 1080ti somewhere.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-9-3-0-7.jpg Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-9-3-9-5.jpg Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-9-2-56-49.jpg

Edit: I didn't shoot the guy in the last picture, the bad guys did that to him.

Last edited:
If you can get it cheap it's a fun "pick up and play" game that could have been a lot more. If they had worked on this and then released come this Fall it might have been different. There's flashes of potential all over the place. Sometimes some cool things happen but overall this is as others have said: Ubisoft open game #25606845 and take it or leave it.

Alot more how? Are you expecting an Open world GTA type game? Cause that's not what this game is.

Alot more how? Are you expecting an Open world GTA type game? Cause that's not what this game is.

No, I just feel like some of the proceedings could have had a little more variety and depth.

I have gotten into some fun and frentic situations. I've even had a handful of "MGS Lite" type moments.

Overall I like this game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ghost-recon-wildlands-review/

A review like this makes some good points... I agree with a lot of it. Some of the cited technical issues I expect to see improvement on with post release support.

I would grade it higher than 67/100 myself. That seems a bit harsh.

8/10 or so is what I'd give it.

just played for about 4 hours and finished basically what was the first beta. during that time i had the game crash twice on me. running the latest nvidia drivers too. anyone else experiencing game crashes?

Arma3 is a better overall experience. I like it, a lot, but it's got some serious flaws. The whole indestructible cars thing is really kind of offputting. Drive off a cliff... no biggie. For some reason that really bugs the shit out of me. Drive 30MPH into a tree in Arma3, even in a truck, and you'll wreck the front end rendering it un-driveable, and probably take half your health away.

I'll play it with my buds, cause co-op is pretty fun, but yeah... if $ is an issue, wait for it to go on sale.
Yeah - this game is like an ARMA 3 Fisher-Price-mode. It's a bummer considering the history of the Ghost Recon series. In hindsight it makes the GR:AW and GR:FS games seem somehow better in my eyes (okay it's nostalgia, and I'm getting old).

Yeah - this game is like an ARMA 3 Fisher-Price-mode. It's a bummer considering the history of the Ghost Recon series. In hindsight it makes the GR:AW and GR:FS games seem somehow better in my eyes (okay it's nostalgia, and I'm getting old).

Of course, sometimes that's just what you need. I just got done playing Exile (with zeds, roaming AI, missions) and got my shit pushed in about 10 times in the past 90 minutes. So I died 10 times, and killed probably that many AI and zeds combined. Arma3 can be outright punishing when the AI is cranked up.

Sometimes it's nice to not always be peering over your shoulder waiting for that next *CRACK* to scare the shit out of you, and you have no idea where it came from 90% of the time.

I do like how you can make it as easy to play through or as difficult as you want. Removing the map, hud, crosshairs, targeting etc. Changes the game a lot when you are flying blind and having to focus in a lot more.

Thus far I think my biggest gripe about this game is I can't change the loadout or appearance of my team. I set up a guy with a military look to try and give me a sliver of actual Ghost Recon, and it's kinda ruined when the rest of my dudes are running around in jeans, flannels, and hats. Even if it's only cosmetic, I should be able to change their appearance to match mine. As far as their loadout, that isn't cosmetic, I should be able to change what their carrying to match my play style.

No matter what I do, I can not get this game to run well.. at all. It's almost unplayable. I've installed newest drivers, tried an older driver, tried at 1440p, 1080p, game on low, game on high, cap at 60hz, cap at 144hz, v-sync on, v-sync off, used Geforce Experience's optimization, tried fullscreen and windowed.. Nothing helps. It dips down to 40fps (Or even lower), and/or hangs up for like 5 seconds sometimes. I have the game on an SSD. I have no problems running any other games on any of my monitors, or even at 4k at lower settings. And holy crap, it looks so awful on the lowest settings, and yet it gets literally no fps benefit for me compared to running at high. I just don't get it.

No matter what I do, I can not get this game to run well.. at all. It's almost unplayable. I've installed newest drivers, tried an older driver, tried at 1440p, 1080p, game on low, game on high, cap at 60hz, cap at 144hz, v-sync on, v-sync off, used Geforce Experience's optimization, tried fullscreen and windowed.. Nothing helps. It dips down to 40fps (Or even lower), and/or hangs up for like 5 seconds sometimes. I have the game on an SSD. I have no problems running any other games on any of my monitors, or even at 4k at lower settings. And holy crap, it looks so awful on the lowest settings, and yet it gets literally no fps benefit for me compared to running at high. I just don't get it.

Oddly enough, I've encountered the exact opposite. Aside from minor issues, it runs well for me with two 980's. 1440p, with a mix of high/ultra settings. It holds 60fps most of the time, with occasional, but rare dips to around 50. No hangs up, no studdering... with the exception of the initial load in. The first 20ish seconds into a new game can be a little rocky, but once everything loads in, it runs well. With the Nvidia driver that just released, on the in-game benchmark I scored a Min / Max / Avg of 50 / 71 / 62.

I also had zero issues running last night at 3440x1440 and it is hovering around 50-70 depending on the territory. Go to the desert and it was hitting 80 with GE's recommend settings. As Viper said the new driver seems to have helped a bunch. I am hugely pleased on the performance from the Beta to the current game.

The game still has its control issues, especially the helos, and enemy spawning danger close right behind you. But, unlike many Ubi games, the devs seems to be actively working on patches. The launch (+day 1 patch) seems to have fixed many gripes. Now if they would just fix coop play with regard to resources it would be much better. All 4 of us tagging the same box is BS.

The one performance thing I noticed. My game would stutter and skip during game play which was frustrating to no end. First I thought G-sync was acting up until I read on Ubi forums about Uplay's install has to be on a SSD if Wildlands is on a SSD. Since the saved game files are in the Uplay directory having it on a slow drive causes issues. I happened to have my Ubi on my old HDD since I haven't played a Ubi game in a long time.

Moving Uplay to the same SDD as Wildlands stopped all the skipping due to the constant saving the game does.

Overall it is a great game with friends and the visuals are very impressive considering the size of the map.

Ugh it seems really fun for my friend and I to play together, and I really want to play.. but it's just unplayable. I even made sure Uplay was on the same SSD as the game. Nothing seems to help. I have a 980ti, and it does fine in every other game. The weirdest thing is, there's literally no difference in performance if I switch the game from high to low, and vice versa. It still runs exactly the same. It's really bumming me out.

Can someone tell me if you can change the physical appearance of the character? I mean height / weight / bodytype and such things, or there is just one generic body and that's it?

my 295x2 at 100hz on 1440p runs like a midrange card, this is a typical ubisoft pc game that has promise but its hidden behind the need for quite a bit of performance patches.

Can someone tell me if you can change the physical appearance of the character? I mean height / weight / bodytype and such things, or there is just one generic body and that's it?

No. Pretty much head, hair, eyes, skin color, tattoos, and scars. The main bodytype is the same between all men and all women. It would be nice to have a Fallout 4 or GTA character customization.

Wildlands customization is really for the gear you carry.

No. Pretty much head, hair, eyes, skin color, tattoos, and scars. The main bodytype is the same between all men and all women. It would be nice to have a Fallout 4 or GTA character customization.

Wildlands customization is really for the gear you carry.
I thought so. Thanks.

Whoa. The 4.5GB patch they had tonight completely fixed my game. They said it was for a lot of things, but also a major performance issue with i5's and quad core processors. My game runs amazing now. Well, around 70fps stable at ultra. If I lower the settings to try to get more fps, the game looks so bad, and the fps doesn't actually go up much. But I'm very content with 60-70fps in this game. This literally turned it from an unplayable game to a perfectly playable game, woohoo.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Ok, so after setting it to the highest difficulty, and minimizing the use of the minimap, the game is a lot more challenging.

Definitely more fun playing.

like this
Yup, if you dial this in the way you want...and I have to give kudos again for the plethora of options... I think a lot of people can get a lot that's good out of this game like I am and obviously some others are.

This patch definitely resolved any noticeable performance issues best I can gauge.

Whoa. The 4.5GB patch they had tonight completely fixed my game. They said it was for a lot of things, but also a major performance issue with i5's and quad core processors. My game runs amazing now. Well, around 70fps stable at ultra. If I lower the settings to try to get more fps, the game looks so bad, and the fps doesn't actually go up much. But I'm very content with 60-70fps in this game. This literally turned it from an unplayable game to a perfectly playable game, woohoo.

I did not get any update yesterday. Checked both Steam & Uplay hoping for an FPS bump. :\

I see the announcement here:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/75838332261164917

I shut down my PC last night @ 7pm CST, booted up today @ 8am but haven't had any download / updates in Steam (checked my auto-update settings, restarted Steam, etc).

Steam says my Current content BuildID: 1683214
~ right click game in Steam > Properties > Local Files tab

I even cleared my Steam DL cache & ran Verify Integrity of Game Files

In the game, my version # is 2182206

Other people are asking the same questions here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/460930/discussions/0/135511027320646882/?ctp=3

EDIT: I just remembered, when I booted up yesterday @ 2pm & Steam had to update, so I just went out to do laundry, ran errands & grabbed dinner. When I came home @ 7pm, I just shut the PC down, so I probably got the update while I was out & never actually noticed...

Last edited:
like this
Strange.

For those of us who had it direct through Uplay it came faster. Maybe that's the difference.

Heads up for anyone who has had uplay account problems after the patch. Namely, it is putting a google authenticator on the account without permission from the user, you aren't the only one. Had this happen to a friend and read reports of it on steam now too.

Game wise for me, I only had one crash so far at the map/menu button, on Thurs night.

like this
if you guys are having trouble with crashing, unchecking "enable the steam overlay while in-game" and "use desktop game theatre while steamvr is active" worked wonders for me.

Anyone know how to stop the game from playing that stupid movie every time you load it??? Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? So fucking annoying......

Thanks for that! Honestly...it shouldn't be that hard....
It often is though. That's why we have PCGW.

Deleting video files isn't that difficult, thankfully. It's more the weird stuff like editing bizarre configs and other workarounds that have me annoyed. Like with Wolfenstein: The New Order, I had to manually map keys in a config file because I use EDSF (and F was hard mapped to "use" in a particular area). Or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with the locked FOV settings.

FarCry-Ghost Recon Edition (this is basically FarCry with a squad)

Now, you might think I have typed the above to denigrate the game.
Far from it. Loving it but then again, I love FarCry games. Even FarCry 2.
I started playing yesterday afternoon and couldn't put it down.

I think I got lucky since I started after the Nvidia driver and the game patch dropped so, no performance issues at all.
My 1080 @ 2000 backed by a 6800K at 4.3 is playing the game totally maxed at 1440 and the lowest FPS I have seen has been in the 40's (but mostly hovers near or above 60) which doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
Got my free copy yesterday with my 1080ti purchase. Played a little this morning and enjoying it so far. Post your ubisoft names and I'll add you and maybe we can get some co-op games in.

Far from it. Loving it but then again, I love FarCry games. Even FarCry 1.

everyone loved Far Cry 1. i think you mean Far Cry 2 as it was universally panned. coincidentally i had a blast with Far Cry 2 :D

I am having a fucking blast playing this game. Definitely feel like I got my money's worth for sure. Also, been playing co-op with my brother and enjoying that aspect as well.

Back