Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

I'm about to purchase a new GTX1080, and I can choose between For Honor, or GRW for free. Which one should I choose?

I'm about to purchase a new GTX1080, and I can choose between For Honor, or GRW for free. Which one should I choose?

Thats like saying "I'm ordering a Pizza and it comes with a drink. Should I get Pepsi or Mnt Dew?".

Its all up to you.

darn...and I assume you can't just kill them.

Nope.

Actually they can all be harmed/knocked down/out where you would have to heal them. The first aid icon is over their heads and they are lying on the ground.

If you never heal them then you could go solo but here's the catch: I don't know if the game would allow you to leave them there indefinitely.

I find them semi useful at times but I either just leave them to fend for themselves while I sneak around or I tell them to go somewhere and just wait for further orders.
They will auto snap into a vehicle with you for drive by's and such but once you get where you want tell them to hold and go do your thing. They may try to revive you if you die though.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Absolutely excoriated by Destructoid....2.5/10

https://www.destructoid.com/review-ghost-recon-wildlands-425478.phtml

So this or For Honor as my free game when I pickup my 1080ti next week?
I'm biased in the decision because I loathe For Honor.. but that's because I suck at it. Like, really badly. I absolutely loathe it. However, Wildlands... I'm really enjoying. Playing with a friend in co-op, with the game on Extreme difficulty, and we've been having a blast so far. It reminds me a lot of Far Cry, which I loved.

My friend I play Wildlands with, plays A TON of For Honor competitively. He said that getting into the game now is going to be tough, because a lot of the people who play competitively at this point, are basically masters now.. and a lot of people are going to get their asses kicked (In fact, this is 100% what happened to me.. puts me against people who prestiged 5 on their character, and are going to kick your ass). He also said that as much as he loves the game and hopes it continues on for a long time, he thinks it might die out sooner than later. The playerbase dropped off a lot.

But, he said, if you like competitive games.. go for For Honor, but be prepared to be frustrated to start. Otherwise, go for Wildlands, especially if you have a friend to play with. I completely disagree with that Destructoid review haha.. that was a bit harsh. I love the game so far.

Yeah its a hard call just because Wildlands to me looks like the typical bland Ubi sandbox we have come to expect whilst For Honor looks frustrating and likely to not have much longevity because of its focus on online PvP. Free is free I guess, so will probably go with Wildlands.

Yeah its a hard call just because Wildlands to me looks like the typical bland Ubi sandbox we have come to expect whilst For Honor looks frustrating and likely to not have much longevity because of its focus on online PvP. Free is free I guess, so will probably go with Wildlands.
Haha basically. Wildlands is basically a co-op Far Cry. It's what I wanted from Far Cry 4 as far as the co-op goes... since the entire game is able to be done in co-op, and not just a few missions. For Honor made me throw my controller across the room, and NO game has ever driven me to that point lol.

Absolutely excoriated by Destructoid....2.5/10

https://www.destructoid.com/review-ghost-recon-wildlands-425478.phtml

So this or For Honor as my free game when I pickup my 1080ti next week?

Day-um!

It's hardly lighting the world on fire and there are plenty of legit criticisms... I really didn't disagree with anything this review said per se but...2.5/10? Is this Daiktana or something?

I paid $45 for it and I... eh, sort of regret it. I'll have to think of what score I'd give it myself. Not that harsh but 7 is looking like a real nice ceiling.

It's a decent "pick up and play" type cruncher if you want Far Cry co-op. That's this game at its best.

I meant what I've said before: This game needed to be worked on for at least another 6 months and come out for the holidays. It had potential. It could have been something and a lot more than this.

A friggin' shame really.

If you turn off all the aids and work tactically it can get a lot more deep than it looks on the surface trying to sneak around and stuff. Does get somewhat repetitive but my friends and I are having fun. It definitely could have done with some more flushing out but I got what I expected which was not much considering how utterly horrible Far Cry 2 and 3 are. One does have to work a bit more to make it more stealthy but it only goes so far. Dont expect deep riveting play and you can really have fun.

like this
I think it's a great game and well worth the money I spent on it. I really have no complaints other than the occasional issue of trying to deploy my drone and it doesn't.

If you turn off all the aids and work tactically it can get a lot more deep than it looks on the surface trying to sneak around and stuff. Does get somewhat repetitive but my friends and I are having fun. It definitely could have done with some more flushing out but I got what I expected which was not much considering how utterly horrible Far Cry 2 and 3 are. One does have to work a bit more to make it more stealthy but it only goes so far. Dont expect deep riveting play and you can really have fun.
Yeah, one of my friends didn't play on hard difficulty and beat the game ridiculously fast. My friend and I have been playing on Extreme, being as stealthy as possible, and we're barely through like 5% of the crime boss missions, but have been having a blast. Also doing all the side missions, collecting all the intel and weapon parts and medals, etc. Extreme can be frustrating as hell, but it makes the game way more fun and complicated. I probably wouldn't enjoy the game AS much if I wasn't playing with a friend, only because I prefer games like this in co-op.

I definitely echo the recommendation for using a higher difficulty regardless of how you play this.

Supposedly there's a large patch coming end of this month. So if you're on the fence at all, you could hold out and see if they fix a bunch of stuff. That'll signal how much effort they're going to put into it post-release.

From what I've heard, the game is absolutely beautiful - just needs optimization (1080's struggle in some scenarios at 1080p).

I'm loving this game. I very rarely buy games @ full price on day one.

I did with this game though - mostly because the beta (basically like a demo from days of old).

My buddy & I have been dying for a great co-op game & this is the best co-op game I've played.

I agree w/ earlier comments too RE: this game is a lot like Far Cry 4.

PS: neither my buddy or I have had any problems with the game (playing on HIGH settings)

Supposedly there's a large patch coming end of this month. So if you're on the fence at all, you could hold out and see if they fix a bunch of stuff. That'll signal how much effort they're going to put into it post-release.

From what I've heard, the game is absolutely beautiful - just needs optimization (1080's struggle in some scenarios at 1080p).
Oh man, the game was so messed up for me right at release... Like, 30FPS on low settings, on a 980ti, at 1080p. With constant freezing and stuttering. It was literally unplayable. Then that first patch they did, for issues with performance on quad-core processors, completely changed the game. Now run on ultra settings at 1080p, at about 75fps. Or can run at 4k by turning everything down, obviously. It's WAAAAAY better now.

Game feels more solid, no problems for me as well although I'm running a single 1080ti.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-18-21-45-18.jpg Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-18-21-47-27.jpg Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-19-1-24-31.jpg

like this
Yesterday was the day I finally "got" the game. I got into a rhythm. I got into it.

Let's face it: How much of a story do you really need for something like this? Kill a bunch of narco terrorists and get a bunch of sweet kit to do it with.

Once your levels start going up and you raise respective abilities and such (the light RPG aspect) things open up a bit more.

Yes, it's repetitive. Yes, there's pretty much no real story to speak of, and yes this game had potential to be a lot more than what it is but as is it's a decent Far Cry cousin with a light throw away squad concept.

If you play at higher difficulties the AI isn't completely abysmal. Co-op is where things improve all the more for obvious reasons.

It's not a bad game. It's "decent." Sometimes it's "good." It certainly is considerably better than a 2.5/10 blast crater Daiktana rating although I do agree with just about everything that was said in that review. I'm just not that angry about it because I went into this with fairly modest expectations after playing the open and closed beta. Getting it pretty cheap gave it some more forgiveness buffer.

If you're going to go for an Ubisoft shooter I would still absolutely pick Division over this hands down, any day of the week, many times over if you're going to make a choice in that direction.

Having played For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands, I think For Honor needs a lot more work and patching and I find it more frustrating. I prefer Ghost Recon Wildlands.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-18-23-17-43.jpg Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-19-0-41-30.jpg Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2017-3-18-23-25-53.jpg

Too harsh IMO.

It brought up some valid criticisms but it doesn't deserve a Daiktana caliber score and write off.

I agree. Does the game have flaws, yes, is it the worst game ever, by far no!

It is kind of the author, Mike Cosimano, thing to sensationalize. He almost seems to be looking for attention where none is needed/warranted.

I agree. Does the game have flaws, yes, is it the worst game ever, by far no!

It is kind of the author to sensationalize. He almost seems to be looking for attention where none is needed/warranted.

I like Destructoid. It's a good outfit. I was just like this: "DAY-UM!" after I read that review. ;)

This game really is fun when you want to just chill and explore / do whatever you want. I think some people have a hard time just letting go sometimes. Too much freedom works against them.

Every time I hop in this game I have a blast. Last night I set out to get some weapon parts and skills, ended up getting distracted and attacking some outposts. Freed some villagers, interrogated some war lords...it's a blast! Plus with the latest Nvidia drivers I saw a big performance boost with SLI!

Does anyone else have any issues with not being able to go into full screen after the new nvidia drivers?

Goddamn...lol. I read the whole thing. I think he makes a lot of valid points and agree based on my experience with the beta, but the score is a bit lower than really makes sense.

I think something like a 5/10 would have been appropriate. 2.5/10 is more like, this game is barely playable and technically broken, but not so much that it is unplayable.

I found out a looooooooong time ago to take the reviews with a grain of salt and find out for myself. My own personal feeling is that this game doesn't warrant a score that low but we're all human and not everyone agrees on everything so back to my feeling of finding out by trying it.

I like reading a multitude of reviews and look for their similar points to base my own ideas from knowing how I like to play things. Demo's and Alpha / Beta's that are open or that I can get into are a huge help as well.

I like reading a multitude of reviews and look for their similar points to base my own ideas from knowing how I like to play things. Demo's and Alpha / Beta's that are open or that I can get into are a huge help as well.

To be fair, these guys put out closed and open betas before this game was released (free demos basically) and I have to take my hat off to them for that.

I really hope I see that as a continuing, growing trend in the industry. Anyone that pulled the trigger on this knew what they were going to get and were fine with it, lumps and all.

To be fair, these guys put out closed and open betas before this game was released (free demos basically) and I have to take my hat off to them for that.

I really hope I see that as a continuing, growing trend in the industry. Anyone that pulled the trigger on this knew what they were going to get and were fine with it, lumps and all.

Yup, I played in the beta and it took me from on the fence to a purchase. I did not jump into the closed betas as I was not totally sold and focused elsewhere but the open beta was enough for me. Definitely should be more of a trend as should the free to play weekends to get more players involved since the idea of the old school "demo" doesn't work the same anymore with these types of titles.

Not the best game ever but its exactly what I thought it would be and I am having lots of fun.

Oh man, the game was so messed up for me right at release... Like, 30FPS on low settings, on a 980ti, at 1080p. With constant freezing and stuttering. It was literally unplayable. Then that first patch they did, for issues with performance on quad-core processors, completely changed the game. Now run on ultra settings at 1080p, at about 75fps. Or can run at 4k by turning everything down, obviously. It's WAAAAAY better now.

Yeah, they've made improvements performance wise. I'm running it on a 1080 at 1080P with mostly Ultra. I had to turn some stuff down as I wanted to keep my minimum above 60fps (60hz monitor). If I go full Ultra, I get 35min, 70max, and 53fps avg.

Other key components:
16Gb DDR4-3200
I7 6700k

CPU sits around 40%. I did have a brief issue where Win10 refused to release some RAM and caused the game to run like crap. Had a 13Gb chunk of memory reserved with no program claiming it, so I couldn't clear it. Had to reboot.

Back