Theoretical maximum specs for AMD cpu based platform under Windows 7

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by spacedrone808, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Calculator comes from the store, MSPaint didn't go anywhere due to the backlash MS received on removing it and the taskmanager is still there. The start menu is there, just not in a good form. I'll give you that one. I don't know anything about Linux as I haven't used it in years. Every time I have, its been far from a decent experience.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  2. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardForum Junkie

Really? Linux is just is easy as windows. Years ago I set up linux computers to save money in apartment business centers for the residents. I had no problems and
    there were some people who probably could not turn on a computer. I just had the icons on the desktop screen.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

This depends entirely on what you're trying to do, and how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go.

The best way to compare them is 'different', and that's the same from one distro and DE to another, too. Make a list of stuff that an enthusiast would need to install and be able to do on a computer, and you'll run into stuff that is not 'easy' on Linux pretty quick relative to any modern Windows version.

The year of the Linux desktop is not 2019.

4. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I am not sure who changed it though, I can't say for certain it was a Microsoft change or an nVidia/AMD driver change I just don't have access to any hardware sufficiently old to test it.

5. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

Apart for the CPU USB driver who needs a simple hack of the AMD drivers, Ryzen 3000 CPU, including 3900X seem to run fine on Windows 7 Pro. This is great.
    Most interesting among micro-ATX motherboards seem to be Asus 450M TUF series (Pro and Plus) as they should both handle without problems all the current needed on the future 3950X.

6. spacedrone808

spacedrone808 [H]Lite

confirmed!

i wonder if TR 3rd gen will work on win7 or not?

7. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

I found another contender for top level CPU on Windows 7 but that is not from AMD.
    Intel recently drop of prices for yet to come Cascade Lake - X line on Desktop and supposedly server/workstation Xeon.
    You can get the full speed 18c/36t 4 channel on X299 chipset for less than 1000$ and you can get the same Xeon for 1300$ and C422 motherboard also on LGA 2066 socket (you can find great ones at less than 500$). The big thing with C422 and X299 chipsets is that they are old enough so you could find from some motherboard manufacturer or Intel all the chipset drivers needed for Windows 7 64 bit. Mind that 7 Pro or Ultimate are recommended (Home has some limitations). Also the Xeon plateform permits registered ECC RAM, which is much current and less expensive than Unbuffered ECC and very close to non ECC, but there are up to 128GB RAM RDIMM you can easily find on internet. However Windows 7 Pro is limited to 192GB, but that could be 6x32GB (nevermind not feeding one channel RAM).

This would need to be tested but I am quite sure this is ok, with less fuss than any Ryzen configuration. the C422 drivers for Windows 7 can be found at Gigabyte old C422 motherboard support (2017).

8. spacedrone808

spacedrone808 [H]Lite

Why?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/m352013vs4044
    3rd gen TR will crash even more expensive intel cpu's.

Less fuss - agree.
    Less performance and anyway priceyer. This is greedy intel:)
    So, not interested even with discount.

As for ram : 192Gb is very good reserve.
    Currently while 3d rendering i am using around 48Gb out of 64Gb. So 128Gb will be 100% sufficient in future.
    Love capabilities of win7!

9. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

Yes but will Threadripper 3 support Windows 7 when there are problems with Threadripper 2 ? Mind that Threadripper 3 will be based from the beginning on a new chipset, TRX 40. And high level TR above 32 cores will be close to Epyc.
    Only alternative quite safe is Threadripper 1 aka 1950X. But there is no huge difference left in price. New Xeon who is quite the same renamed previous line, runs faster than previous line and costs one third of the price (On HEDT i9 X299 line it's only half the price).
    I was using 64GB PC on BIM works (buildings) but some works may need 128GB. The difference on the last project is very meaningfull and crashes from time to time on the 64GB PC. However I still can open and watch the project on a 16Gb laptop, even make some changes, but the efficiency is not nearly on par.
    So modern workstations for real 3D CAD need those 128Gb and even more will be helpful.
    Working with 64GB limitation is starting to look unprofessional, and I wouldn't have said that maybe 6 months ago, but this is real now. I also see my partners upgrading to huge workstations. This is the way now. And mind that I'm staying on Windows 7 Pro which is okay for me and my software for now, and maybe I'll go Linux, trying to escape Windows 10.

If someone used BIM version of Bricscad and has some returns and would be glad to share the experience... Bricscad BIM suite works on Linux.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. spacedrone808

spacedrone808 [H]Lite

Currently i am running 1950x without any problems. No point to switch to intel.
    But really interested in TR2 and TR3. It would be very neat if some one shares his experience with Windows 7...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  11. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

Someone on Reddit said he installed Windows 7 on 2950X. Hadn't any more trouble than those using 1950X. However except better RAM compatibility which is great, 2950X has no better performance than 1950X.

12. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

I don't know what stops people from installing W7 on TR 2. If you install by the book with PS keyboard/mouse (the motherboard must support) from a DVD on sata and sata SSD/hard drive including raid 1 mode, it should work just fine. People have experienced problems with PCIe 3.0 and so need to slow in BIOS to PCIe 2.0 which is fine with all GPU even the best. Now I bet the problems are for people using exclusively usb key to install from scratch and also want to install on NVMe SSD directly.

13. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

I actually ran into that usb issue on a a320 board. clients old hdd was left as a secondary for storage, something caused the bios to pick it instead of the nvme drive as the boot device. it fired right up into her old windows 7 and nothing worked, not even the usb2 ports.

14. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles [H]ard|Gawd

We will eventually. Currently using a W7 install from several years ago on my desktop. No problems with multiple hardware changes along the way. Luckily DX12 has been such a lackluster update that there's been no compelling reason to switch since I mostly use my desktop to game.

15. spacedrone808

spacedrone808 [H]Lite

100%, No reason to switch, i am satisfied with 1950x performance.