The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Armenius

Fully [H]
I always found Quen better than Aurd or Igni, especially since your bread and butter for every confrontation is sword combat.

Quen, Fast enough cool down and basically an invulnerable save to a single hit, with practice you can basically keep recasting once its taken the hit. Works on everything, so even large monsters you get one free block.

Aurd really does little to larger creature, and if you don't have the man-sized opponents in an arc in front of you it leaves you vulnerable to side/back attacks when casting.

Igni is sometimes useful (like halting regen on creatures), kinda suffers from similar problems as Aurd.

I really like Yrden, its a little trickier to use but a well placed Yrden can make a fight an absolute breeze, works on pretty much everything, just keep em in the circle. Slow cooldown is its downfall.

I'll be honest after being underwhelmed by Aurd and Igni I didn't dump many levels into them, so maybe they get better with leveling. I leveled Quen then Yrden then Igni, and nothing in Aurd.

Edit: Early on I used Igni a lot, but found as I got better and its returns diminished that I switched firmly to Quen.
True, Quen and Yrden are extremely useful especially on the harder difficulties. I did find some of the earlier bounty quests much easier with Yrden on Death March even without any investment into it. Quen kind of gets less useful later in the game, in my opinion. Igni has its own use cases. The AOE is useful for breaking up and dispatching groups of annoying weaker enemies and its DOT effect is nothing to sneeze at once it's leveled. I actually can't really call any of the spells bad, it's just you really have to focus on one or two of them so they can really shine. Again, it all comes down to your playstyle preference and there is a lot of flexibility in how you approach the game.

Aireoth

2[H]4U
True, Quen and Yrden are extremely useful especially on the harder difficulties. I did find some of the earlier bounty quests much easier with Yrden on Death March even without any investment into it. Quen kind of gets less useful later in the game, in my opinion. Igni has its own use cases. The AOE is useful for breaking up and dispatching groups of annoying weaker enemies and its DOT effect is nothing to sneeze at once it's leveled. I actually can't really call any of the spells bad, it's just you really have to focus on one or two of them so they can really shine. Again, it all comes down to your playstyle preference and there is a lot of flexibility in how you approach the game.
Quen gets an AOE knock back when its broken later on that helps with mobs, and it never really loses that one hit invul save aspect which is critical on Death March against some of the monsters where they kill you in one hit anyway.

I just found weaker enemies would fall so quickly anyway if you where half decent at combat that it wasn't worth signs for them anway.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Quen gets an AOE knock back when its broken later on that helps with mobs, and it never really loses that one hit invul save aspect which is critical on Death March against some of the monsters where they kill you in one hit anyway.

I just found weaker enemies would fall so quickly anyway if you where half decent at combat that it wasn't worth signs for them anway.
Quen's definitely the most useful sign on Death March IMO. Like you said, if you get used to timing it right you always have a margin of error which is critical for those foes that can kill you in one or two hits. When I was playing on Hard I did use Igni a lot more, on Death March it's very much a case of diminishing returns.

Reaperkk

[H]ard|Gawd
I pretty much stuck to Quen and Igni when I played. I remember when I first started the witcher I was having a frustrating time because I'd never use any of the signs and just try to out fight everything.

Did you guys get deep into making potions? I pretty much ignored that part of the game.

Cmustang87

Supreme [H]ardness
I pretty much stuck to Quen and Igni when I played. I remember when I first started the witcher I was having a frustrating time because I'd never use any of the signs and just try to out fight everything.

Did you guys get deep into making potions? I pretty much ignored that part of the game.
Alchemy is OP if you build it.

Ebernanut

[H]ard|Gawd

My philosophy with all the witcher games has been to focus on two of the three disciplines(combat/signs/potions) and then add some complimentary stuff from the third late game to fill in any weaknesses that are left.

It differs between the games which discipline combo is the strongest but many skills from each category are designed to feed off of and enhance each other and by focusing on two you get to the higher level skills quicker. Different combos promote different playstyles which makes replays more interesting as well.

Odifer

n00b
It took me 300-400 hours to complete the game the first time. I think it is going to take you more than a month if you're a completionist like myself.
I guess I will, I can't leave a game incomplete, need to try and finish all the quest.