The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

I pretty much stuck to Quen and Igni when I played. I remember when I first started the witcher I was having a frustrating time because I'd never use any of the signs and just try to out fight everything.

Did you guys get deep into making potions? I pretty much ignored that part of the game.

I pretty much stuck to Quen and Igni when I played. I remember when I first started the witcher I was having a frustrating time because I'd never use any of the signs and just try to out fight everything.

Did you guys get deep into making potions? I pretty much ignored that part of the game.

Alchemy is OP if you build it.

My philosophy with all the witcher games has been to focus on two of the three disciplines(combat/signs/potions) and then add some complimentary stuff from the third late game to fill in any weaknesses that are left.

It differs between the games which discipline combo is the strongest but many skills from each category are designed to feed off of and enhance each other and by focusing on two you get to the higher level skills quicker. Different combos promote different playstyles which makes replays more interesting as well.

Wrapping up my Odyssey playthroughs so I figure now's a good time to try to get through this game... again...
I will be following the modlist here and I'll be trying a Sign build this time, maybe the magic will make combat more interesting.

witcher3dl.png

Reactions: Damar
like this
next gen update.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/292030/announcements/detail/2896333013008164297

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing, HDR and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game.

next gen update.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/292030/announcements/detail/2896333013008164297

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing, HDR and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game.
With updates like that, who needs new games?

next gen update.

Sweet.....now I have a good enough reason to resume my first run through that I never finished, have to remember what the damn game is about though :confused:

Interesting. The HD Reworked Mod project is set for a new release in a couple weeks, too. I think that version is more or less the "final" one.

Sweet.....now I have a good enough reason to resume my first run through that I never finished, have to remember what the damn game is about though :confused:
Haha me to. All the hype surrounding it I have yet to find what's so great about it....

Haha me to. All the hype surrounding it I have yet to find what's so great about it....
Then you have not played it?
It’s the best game I’ve ever played in 30+ years of gaming. In my opinion once you play Witcher 3 you realize all other games fall short.

Takes about 4-5 hours in to get the hook. I put it down at about 3 hours at first and am so glad I picked it back up about six months later.

next gen update.

Amazing.

Alchemy is OP if you build it.

Heck yeah it is! My last playthrough, I went with a heavy attack, heavy armor, alchemy build that hit like a truck and was tough as nails. With Metabolism Control and maxed Acquired Tolerance (and a ton of known formulae), I was able to stack 3 Decoctions. Troll, Ekhidna, and Griffin was my typical go-to. Add in maxed Tissue Transformation for a ton of extra Vitality and get swingin'!

This is great, I've been thinking of replaying it because I only played Blood and Wine once. Gonna wait for this to release. Hopefully they add DLSS 2.0 or atleast improve the anti-aliasing.

This is great, I've been thinking of replaying it because I only played Blood and Wine once. Gonna wait for this to release. Hopefully they add DLSS 2.0 or atleast improve the anti-aliasing.

Blood & Wine was soooooooo good.

Reactions: Damar
like this

Same, but I finished it and both DLCs. Its okay, not terrible but don't see what is so good about it. Can't single out a single thing it exceeded at in a way other games have not yet done on par or better.

Same, but I finished it and both DLCs. Its okay, not terrible but don't see what is so good about it. Can't single out a single thing it exceeded at in a way other games have not yet done on par or better.

When did you play it?

what other games?

and what other games in one package?

Maybe he played it late, a lot of games took W3 and copied it, like Assassins creed.

I think a lot of people forget that W3 came out in 2015.

At least two years back, made dozens of posts in this thread. Everything was just mediocre, from the story, the combat (lol), pacing, repetitious actions (constant use of eagle vision), pacing, length, you name it. Then smaller things like no ability to pause 10 minutes conversations without a mod to bad camera angles for dialogue scenes. The ending was just insulting to.

It wasn't bad, just nothing stood out as being great.

At least two years back, made dozens of posts in this thread. Everything was just mediocre, from the story, the combat (lol), pacing, repetitious actions (constant use of eagle vision), pacing, length, you name it. Then smaller things like no ability to pause 10 minutes conversations without a mod to bad camera angles for dialogue scenes. The ending was just insulting to.

It wasn't bad, just nothing stood out as being great.

Eagle vision? you mean Witcher Sense? I hardly used that and I 100% completed the game.

The best part of the story and side quests was the constant acknowledgement that every choice was to some degree morally ambiguous, there was no Paragon or Full Evil playthrough. as for the ending it was more varied that most games based on your choices, certainly more varied that Mass Effect that sold on 'choices matter'. Then again I got the 'best' ending with every witcher alive, all players I could rescue saved, and the proper romance option (Yen).

It just seems like you played a different game, but then again people like different things so I don't expect you or everyone to like the game.

Also 2 years ago there where several games that almost straight copied W3 (Assassins Creed) or incorporated elements, that arguably did it better, but that is kinda the point in improving upon the past.

edit: prior to 2015 there really wasn't a game that combined everything W3 did. open world, rpg, choices matter, very long, tps melee combat, full voiced dialogue, high production value and gfx, etc. after there are plenty.

Last edited:
I'm around that part when u raise that half ling thingy lol I still feel the same way as Flogger23m..I hope once I get deeper in the game it doesn't end up just being medicore considering how long it is...

I'm around that part when u raise that half ling thingy lol I still feel the same way as Flogger23m..I hope once I get deeper in the game it doesn't end up just being medicore considering how long it is...

The botchling?
If you play through the Red Barron quest line and don’t at that point really enjoy Witcher 3, then it’s probably fair to say it isn’t the game for you. PS. If you don’t know what the botchling is, then don’t look it up. It’s part of the Red Barron quest line and it would be a major spoiler.

The combat is the weakest aspect of the game and overall difficulty being too easy (it has a strange difficulty curve which isn't satisfying at all). But Witcher 3 is still a great game that has a lot to enjoy about it, unless you're not into stories and dialogue in general which is understandable. I have a few friends who only game for gameplay and not stories.

Maybe he played it late, a lot of games took W3 and copied it, like Assassins creed.

I think a lot of people forget that W3 came out in 2015.
I never played The Witcher 3 when it came out because I didn't like being forced to play a white haired guy and being unable to customize your character.

Since then, I have played Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. Those are about the two best games I have ever played.

I never played The Witcher 3 when it came out because I didn't like being forced to play a white haired guy and being unable to customize your character.

Since then, I have played Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. Those are about the two best games I have ever played.

I'm glad you liked a seperate set of games that borrowed heavily from W3, didn't let you customize your character, and was more arcady.

I'm glad you liked a seperate set of games that borrowed heavily from W3, didn't let you customize your character, and was more arcady.
I have become used to the idea of story focused characters that are preset. Odyssey at least gave you a choice between two. Neither recent AC game forced you to have white hair though. Yes it is a nit, but it annoys me about The Witcher 3.

Even though the Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, combat and movement in general always felt stiff and a hair clunky. Not enough to make the game less than a masterpiece, but plenty of other games (like the last two AC games) handle movement/combat better. If they were to ever go back and make serious gameplay changes to that game, it's the area I'd like to see improvements.

Even though the Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, combat and movement in general always felt stiff and a hair clunky. Not enough to make the game less than a masterpiece, but plenty of other games (like the last two AC games) handle movement/combat better. If they were to ever go back and make serious gameplay changes to that game, it's the area I'd like to see improvements.

It is absolutey dated now, 5 years later, the AC titles had arguably better combat, i say arguably because while the control was more fluid, it utterly lacks weight and impact leaving it to feel oddly floaty.

I don't see them overhauling the gameplay, pretty sure they are done with W3 outside of this and I'd rather they focus on new games.

Botchling! That's what it is lol. The story is getting more interesting now and I'm going to give it a chance. I guess my problem is that the hype is huge that I'm expecting a hair raising,omg, epic game lol. Then again I think the issue for me is open world games. Breath of the wild is the same way the hype was so insane but when I played it was a good game just not as amazing as people made it out to be. Also with open world games I hate all the traveling, walking around etc it gets boring quick.

Botchling! That's what it is lol. The story is getting more interesting now and I'm going to give it a chance. I guess my problem is that the hype is huge that I'm expecting a hair raising,omg, epic game lol. Then again I think the issue for me is open world games. Breath of the wild is the same way the hype was so insane but when I played it was a good game just not as amazing as people made it out to be. Also with open world games I hate all the traveling, walking around etc it gets boring quick.
Yeah... you're fine... people like different things, and that's fine. This is why there are so many different games to choose from... everybody wins. If you wanna make your way over to Toussaint for the Blood and Wine story arc, it's totally worth it, IMO. (I can't remember if there's a character level requirement or not to get access to it). Hearts of Stone has an interesting story line too.

I just find it hilarious that the same 3 people keep coming back here, every singe time this thread gets bumped, to remind us all that they still don't like the game. They didn't like it when they posted on the previous page, and they don't like now either.... and I'm sure they will remind us all once more about it in the CP2077 thread soon enough :joyful:

When you switch your perspective from it being a chore to go to the next quest, to exploring along the way and realizing that exploration is a huge part of the game I think it will revolutionize your opinion. Between most Storyline quests, there are smaller worthwhile quests, scenery and exploration. Witcher 3 isn’t meant to be played in a linear quest A direct to quest B fashion. Stop and smell the roses, venture off the road and breathe in the sights. The game is best played when you aren’t in a hurry and can soak in all the amazing attention to detail in the game world. It’s a very different type of game. Slow down, enjoy it. It’s a huge departure from what most gamers expect. Myself included. That helped me a lot when I realized that. A few months later playing a hour or two a day I was 150 hours in and had completed the game, LOVED the story, and wanted more.

There was a video on this very concept. Let me try to dig it up.

Last edited:
Eagle vision? you mean Witcher Sense? I hardly used that and I 100% completed the game.

The best part of the story and side quests was the constant acknowledgement that every choice was to some degree morally ambiguous, there was no Paragon or Full Evil playthrough. as for the ending it was more varied that most games based on your choices, certainly more varied that Mass Effect that sold on 'choices matter'. Then again I got the 'best' ending with every witcher alive, all players I could rescue saved, and the proper romance option (Yen).

It just seems like you played a different game, but then again people like different things so I don't expect you or everyone to like the game.

Also 2 years ago there where several games that almost straight copied W3 (Assassins Creed) or incorporated elements, that arguably did it better, but that is kinda the point in improving upon the past.

edit: prior to 2015 there really wasn't a game that combined everything W3 did. open world, rpg, choices matter, very long, tps melee combat, full voiced dialogue, high production value and gfx, etc. after there are plenty.

The ending I received was about 10 minutes or less. You spend more time talking to random people in a village than getting proper closure on whatever the story was supposed to be. The game lingers on for hours with little plot movement before dropping lots of exposition right at the end, without attempting to give the player a reason to care about anything all that much. There is a girl, you like her apparently, and need to save her from super elves. It was very rushed and of course is a problem with the length of the game as well as the pacing.

Choices? Pretty much everything you do in the previous game had zero real affect. No better than Mass Effect there. Main difference between the two is Mass Effect crafted conflicts that came up naturally throughout the game, and you ended up getting closure on many of them. They were build up and allowed you to form opinions and care about most if not all of them. Not so much for Witcher 3. The game leads you through a couple of plot lines - You like character X, you hate thing Y. Make a decision about a villager that won't matter 10 minutes from now, rinse repeat for a few hours before we take you back to the actual story.

I played Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, and cannot see how they copied Witcher 3. Odyssey has more in line with MMO style upgrades and grinding, with a more awkward and cheesy leveling system. The levelling system in Witcher 3 wasn't too bad, and more or less was just a way to dole out new attacks, just at an excessively slow pace. Yeah they added dialogue options but that isn't unique to Witcher. Aside from being long, 3rd person and having swords, not much else is similar between the two. Odyssey sucked. Witcher 3 felt like they tried at least.

The ending I received was about 10 minutes or less. You spend more time talking to random people in a village than getting proper closure on whatever the story was supposed to be. The game lingers on for hours with little plot movement before dropping lots of exposition right at the end, without attempting to give the player a reason to care about anything all that much. There is a girl, you like her apparently, and need to save her from super elves. It was very rushed and of course is a problem with the length of the game as well as the pacing.

Choices? Pretty much everything you do in the previous game had zero real affect. No better than Mass Effect there. Main difference between the two is Mass Effect crafted conflicts that came up naturally throughout the game, and you ended up getting closure on many of them. They were build up and allowed you to form opinions and care about most if not all of them. Not so much for Witcher 3. The game leads you through a couple of plot lines - You like character X, you hate thing Y. Make a decision about a villager that won't matter 10 minutes from now, rinse repeat for a few hours before we take you back to the actual story.

I played Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, and cannot see how they copied Witcher 3. Odyssey has more in line with MMO style upgrades and grinding, with a more awkward and cheesy leveling system. The levelling system in Witcher 3 wasn't too bad, and more or less was just a way to dole out new attacks, just at an excessively slow pace. Yeah they added dialogue options but that isn't unique to Witcher. Aside from being long, 3rd person and having swords, not much else is similar between the two. Odyssey sucked. Witcher 3 felt like they tried at least.
Wow!

I don’t see how you could arrive at this conciliation unless you purposely skipped all the cutscenes and dialogue options that explain the story.

You say none of your choices affect the game world? Here’s how they affect the major battle towards the end. Not to mention the 36 different ending variations you can have. People on the street talk to you about previous quest lines, even attack you on sight because of choices you made, games world order leadership is chosen based on your nods. It affects the game world and the story as much as any game has managed to do. You get a lot of the backstory by reading the ‘books’ you find along the way, or exploring extra dialogue options in conversations. I had not played a Witcher game before, and had no familiarity on the subject whatsoever, but I certainly knew what was going on in the game. Every aspect was explored if you took the time to do so. Even how young boys become Witcher’s as a memorable side quest I believe in the Blood and Wine expansion.

Read this short blurb to see just how complex and detailed the game world changes made by your choices became for a single battle as an example:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/05/05/the-witcher-3s-battle-of-kaer-morhen-took-a-lot-of-work/

Last edited:
You say none of your choices affect the game world?

Yeah, ending of W2 made practically zero difference to W3. Game may as well have not existed, save for a minor side quest that pops up.

Not to mention the 36 different ending variations you can have.

We've seen this in many games in the past. There are really 2-3 endings, with a few combinations of small dialogue options which multiply. Same with every other game that has done this in the past. I don't consider Mass Effect 3 as having dozens upon dozens of endings because the cutscene was slightly different at the end, or because a few characters appeared or didn't based on choices. Same deal with W3.

Only real major variation in W3 is if Ciri becomes a witcher or empress. But it matters little, because out of a 70-80 game, anything related to Ciri's plot line that could shape this happened within a few hours. It simply has such little impact and little importance given what the game tasks you to do.

People on the street talk to you about previous quest lines, even attack you on sight because of choices you made, games world order leadership is chosen based on your nods.

Same deal with Mass Effect 2/3. As with those games, the impact is minimal and more or less a subtle nod. Angry shop keeper at the citadel won't deal with you in ME2. Different people in leadership. Matters little. Same with W3.

And many other games have done this, like Dishonored.

It affects the game world and the story as much as any game has managed to do.

At its best, it rivals previous games. Which is my point. Nothing stood out as being great, right down to the limited and clunky sword combat. It isn't bad, just more of the same.

Geralt of Rivia statue- $1449

The 1/3 scale monument is constructed of "polystone and other materials," stands roughly three feet in height with a maximum diameter of just under two feet, and weighs about 57 pounds...Geralt's right hand grips his "iconic" monster-killing silver sword, while in his left are the recently severed heads of a trio of harpies who made the mistake of messing with him...he's wearing his classic Kaer Morhen armor, and stands upon a base emblazoned with a large, LED-lit Wolf School medallion

The pièce de résistance of this massive slab of man is the swappable head, enabling a Geralt for every mood. Four unique heads are included:

Normal Geralt
No-Beard Geralt
Hearts of Stone Mark Geralt
Toxicity Geralt

Back