The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Witcher 3 Next-Gen PC Performance Drops To Be Addressed By Upcoming Hotfix

Following Patch 4.01, we wanted to take a moment to talk about some of the issues the team is currently working on and to give a better understanding of what’s ahead. We are working on patches for the game and investigating all the reports you’re sending our way – please keep them coming!

We are currently investigating the following issues:
-CPU core utilization
We are working to improve how the game handles CPU core utilization

-Performance of the DirectX 12 version
We are continuously working to improve the overall performance and stability of the DirectX 12 version of the game, and hope that you'll see improvements with the coming patches

-Performance on next-gen consoles
We’ve received reports from players who have noticed a decrease in frame rate while playing in Performance Mode on next-gen consoles. This is especially noticed in more demanding areas of the game like Novigrad and Beauclair

-Ray traced global illumination improvements
We’re working on reducing global illumination lighting leaks

-Ray traced shadows improvements
We’re investigating an issue with vegetation shadows “popping” depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle

-Restoring horizon-based ambient occlusion on PC

-Game crashes
We are continuously investigating game crashes that are reported to us via telemetry and tech support tickets

-Battle Preparations quest still not working after the patch for some players
We are aware that some players who experienced an issue where it could be impossible to interact with Avallac'h before patch 4.01, may now experience an issue where there are no dialogue options that can progress the quest after the fix. We're working on the underlying cause and steps to reproduce it

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...-last-updated-13-02-2023-patch-4-01.11114090/

Any tips for best performance using just the global illumination? setting for rt? I am running 1440p with a 3090 and usually staying above 40 fps with it on. Playable and it looks awesome but I wanted a bit more fps without sacrificing too much quality.

Any tips for best performance using just the global illumination? setting for rt? I am running 1440p with a 3090 and usually staying above 40 fps with it on. Playable and it looks awesome but I wanted a bit more fps without sacrificing too much quality.
What settings are you running now?

Mix of medium and high. Can't recall as am at work but shadows are on high dlss on quality. Water and detail on medium. Pretty much asking what settings have the biggest hit on performance without adding much to picture quality.

Mix of medium and high. Can't recall as am at work but shadows are on high dlss on quality. Water and detail on medium. Pretty much asking what settings have the biggest hit on performance without adding much to picture quality.
Grass density, foliage distance, shadow quality would be the ones that affect framerate the most. I usually go for shadow quality first in most games.

Yeah. Lowering shadows usually do help. I was just wondering if it had any effect on rt when you lowered it. I think that there are issues with certain settings being too low with rt on.

I have already seen some weird graphical glitches as it is. People floating without a head going sideways for example.

Last edited:
New patch rolling out today further improves CPU utilization and brings back HBAO.

https://www.thewitcher.com/us/en/news/47767/patch-4-02-list-of-changes

PC-SPECIFIC
  • Improved CPU core utilization in the DX 12 version.
  • Restored horizon-based ambient occlusion. Players who had previously turned Ambient Occlusion off will need to do so again. You can find it in Options → Video → Graphics.
  • Fixed an issue where the "My Rewards" section was not localized in REDlauncher.
  • Fixed an issue with a flickering landscape in Toussaint that occurred when NVIDIA HairWorks was disabled.
  • Fixed an issue related to particle optimization which could result in temporary stuttering.
CONSOLE-SPECIFIC
  • Improved Performance Mode on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where characters could become slightly blurry during dialogues and cutscenes on PlayStation 5.
  • Fixed an issue related to memory usage in Ray Tracing Mode which could result in crashes on Xbox Series X.
  • Whatsoever a Man Soweth... - The game will no longer crash if Geralt runs away from Shani after starting the conversation on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where quicksaves couldn't be loaded when using cross progression on Xbox One.
  • Added two missing "Top notch swords!" on previous-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue with overwriting manual saves where in some circumstances the oldest gamesave was deleted on PlayStation 5.
  • Addressed performance issues in Beauclair and Novigrad that occurred after loading a gamesave.
VISUAL - PC and Next-Gen Exclusive
  • Improved immersion of water appearance by adding refraction to SSR and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed a visual issue with brick textures where black artifacts covered stone arches.
  • Added a Motion Blur slider. It can be found in Options → Video → Graphics.
QUESTS & GAMEPLAY - Available on all platforms
  • Battle Preparations - Fixed the lack of a dialogue option that would progress the quest during the objective "Let Avallac'h know everything's ready."
  • Reason of State - Fixed an issue where the door to the warehouse could become permanently locked if the player knocked, entered and then immediately left the building.
  • Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear Upgrade Diagrams Part 1 - Fixed an issue where the quest could stay active even after the diagrams were looted.
  • Fixed an issue where trying to start a New Game+ on an incompatible save would block the player from starting the expansions in standalone mode until the game was restarted.
LOCALIZATION - Available on all platforms
  • Fixed an issue with the Korean localization of Ciri's and Geralt's Gwent card descriptions.
  • Fixed punctuation issues in Arabic localization.
  • Updated Traditional Chinese font.
Please note: these are only the most notable changes. The patch contains other minor fixes that didn't make it onto this list.

Level 81 in new game +

Decided to look up some build guides and try some new playstyles. Played to this point as a whirl/rend sword play style. I probably still like the it the best.
Built a Metamorphosis build (similar to Euphoria build). It's strong with the potion auto apply, but since I don't want to drop my decoctions, the added random decoctions were not always that great.
Built a Signs build with Griffen Arm (only Superior Legendary so far). It's not that good, or I'm doing something wrong. I'm constantly dying with this one. It has 360* igni....but it's weird what I'm weak to. I took out a pack of wolves no problem, which was always a trouble with my sword build, however a little tribe of bandits killed me twice that I would have had NO issue with my sword build. Paper Rock Scissors?

What builds have you guys found to be the most fun?

Last edited:
Level 81 in new game +

Decided to look up some build guides and try some new playstyles. Played to this point as a whirl/rend sword play style. I probably still like the it the best.
Built a Metamorphosis build (similar to Euphoria build). It's strong with the potion auto apply, but since I don't want to drop my decoctions, the added random decoctions were not always that great.
Built a Signs build with Griffen Arm (only Superior Legendary so far). It's not that good, or I'm doing something wrong. I'm constantly dying with this one. It has 360* igni....but it's weird what I'm weak to. I took out a pack of wolves no problem, which was always a trouble with my sword build, however a little tribe of bandits killed me twice that I would have had NO issue with my sword build. Paper Rock Scissors?

What builds have you guys found to be the most fun?
I like the sign/combat hybrid I did on my last Death March playthrough. I used the Griffin set. Yrden is the core sign for this build.

http://www.rpg-gaming.com/tw3.html?...b1bc0bd0ge12f17&m=02122835&r=c7b6a4123859&u=5

I use Severance on my weapons to increase the distance of Whirl, and Entanglement on armor to proliferate Yrden. The stun and slow effect of Yrden/Magic Trap cannot be overstated. Igni is used situationally to give me time to setup more traps, while sustained Quen is used for emergency heals. Damage is primarily dealt with Whirl. I usually run using the Ancient Leshen and Ekimmara decoctions, and Thunderbolt and Petri's Philter potions.

I've thought about trying a pure Signs build, but the casting system limits your options in what you can do at any one time. Maybe something like this?

http://www.rpg-gaming.com/tw3.html?...b1gc13d18e1hf10&m=05152535&r=c7b6a4123859&u=1

I'd use Eruption instead of Rotation for your glyphword. Maybe Rejuvenation or Replenishment on your swords (the latter would probably make more sense since the former requires you to kill an enemy with your sword). The fully upgraded Aard will help you deal with the bandit situation. Axii is for stunning more powerful individual enemies/bosses. I would still wear the Griffin set.

Last edited:
Trying this home brew version of a signs build right now. It' seems more in character to me than a metamophis build with random decoctions tossing off all the time. (cool, but doesn't really make sense in the game world).

I can have 4 concoctions at once active. (and chose them without dropping anything). I'm playing the second hardest difficulty and so far with this nothing has given me any trouble. Most things don't even hurt me. Cast a Yrden, stand inside it, and then use Aard and Igni and it melts and knocks down everything so far.
1679452458602.png

My computer is in HDR and that screws up screenshots for some reason - so Geralt looks blown out, but that's not in game.
Katakan - 10% critical hit chance
Troll - health regen
Ancient Leshen - stamina regen
Water Hag - 50% increased damage when at full health
Are my four current potions.

Rotation on my armor. +10 Igni glyphs on all my armor, and + 5 signs glyphs on all weapons.
1679452702285.png

Gear is superior legendary Griffin set, the best I can use at current level.
1679452905532.png

New patch.

https://www.thewitcher.com/us/en/news/48103/patch-4-03-list-of-changes

PC-SPECIFIC
  • Fixed an issue with ray-traced vegetation shadows “popping”, depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle.
  • Fixed an issue where repeatedly disabling and enabling ray-traced reflections and shadows could cause black shadows to appear at the edge of objects.
  • Addressed the issue where the DirectX 11 version of the game could crash on launch or after loading a save on certain AMD GPUs.
  • Added support for Intel Xe Super Sampling, an upscaling technology that uses machine learning to improve performance and image quality.
  • Fixed some lighting issues with Screen Space Reflections when ray-traced global illumination is off.
  • Performance improvements to ray-traced global illumination and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed an issue where purple splashes could appear on the screen when riding Roach through puddles of water.

CONSOLE-SPECIFIC
  • The Cross Progression pop-up will now properly display which account is logged in.
  • Fixed an issue where dark stripes or shadows appeared on Geralt in the inventory screen when Performance Mode was enabled on PlayStation 5.
  • Fixed an issue where the game could briefly freeze or stutter when autosaving on next-gen consoles.
  • Addressed the issue of performance drops on next-gen consoles while using Witcher Senses in Beauclair and Novigrad.

• Fixed an issue where a grid of light spots could appear on the ground and walls in certain weather conditions with Ray Tracing enabled.
  • Spider webs will no longer change color when moving the camera with Ray Tracing enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where some textures on characters during cutscenes would appear as not fully rendered.
  • Through Time and Space - Fixed an issue where the mist in the Poisoned Valley was pink instead of white.

QUESTS & GAMEPLAY - PC and Next-Gen Exclusives
  • Added the community-made mod Next Gen Script Fixes by Sergeanur.

• In the Eternal Fire's Shadow - The ambient music from the quest will no longer continue playing after completion. For players who have already experienced this issue, it may be necessary to enter the Novigrad or Oxenfurt sewers again to resolve it.
  • Added an option to auto-apply oils in combat.
  • With the exception of potions and decoctions, it's now impossible for Geralt to eat or drink underwater. // While the team agreed it might be possible to drink liquids from a corked flask, consuming pints of ale or grilled meats underwater is too much of a stretch.

Been thinking about replying this game... with a 4090 at 4k with mods and literally everything at max.. it's worth a go through White Orchard at least..

Been thinking about replying this game... with a 4090 at 4k with mods and literally everything at max.. it's worth a go through White Orchard at least..
Same! I only have 21 hours in game and it's been a few years but I think it would be fun to try it out again.

Same! I only have 21 hours in game and it's been a few years but I think it would be fun to try it out again.
It's one of the most gorgeous immersing games I've ever played, esp sitting close to a 4k 16:9 40"+ screen, the detail in the environment is very well done .. I wish I could wipe my memory and play it fresh again hah. They need a NG + + variant lol ... I am thinking a start from scratch though. I do have some saves I might be able to utilize though..

New patch.

https://www.thewitcher.com/us/en/news/48103/patch-4-03-list-of-changes

PC-SPECIFIC
  • Fixed an issue with ray-traced vegetation shadows “popping”, depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle.
  • Fixed an issue where repeatedly disabling and enabling ray-traced reflections and shadows could cause black shadows to appear at the edge of objects.
  • Addressed the issue where the DirectX 11 version of the game could crash on launch or after loading a save on certain AMD GPUs.
  • Added support for Intel Xe Super Sampling, an upscaling technology that uses machine learning to improve performance and image quality.
  • Fixed some lighting issues with Screen Space Reflections when ray-traced global illumination is off.
  • Performance improvements to ray-traced global illumination and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed an issue where purple splashes could appear on the screen when riding Roach through puddles of water.

CONSOLE-SPECIFIC
  • The Cross Progression pop-up will now properly display which account is logged in.
  • Fixed an issue where dark stripes or shadows appeared on Geralt in the inventory screen when Performance Mode was enabled on PlayStation 5.
  • Fixed an issue where the game could briefly freeze or stutter when autosaving on next-gen consoles.
  • Addressed the issue of performance drops on next-gen consoles while using Witcher Senses in Beauclair and Novigrad.

• Fixed an issue where a grid of light spots could appear on the ground and walls in certain weather conditions with Ray Tracing enabled.
  • Spider webs will no longer change color when moving the camera with Ray Tracing enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where some textures on characters during cutscenes would appear as not fully rendered.
  • Through Time and Space - Fixed an issue where the mist in the Poisoned Valley was pink instead of white.

QUESTS & GAMEPLAY - PC and Next-Gen Exclusives
  • Added the community-made mod Next Gen Script Fixes by Sergeanur.

• In the Eternal Fire's Shadow - The ambient music from the quest will no longer continue playing after completion. For players who have already experienced this issue, it may be necessary to enter the Novigrad or Oxenfurt sewers again to resolve it.
  • Added an option to auto-apply oils in combat.
  • With the exception of potions and decoctions, it's now impossible for Geralt to eat or drink underwater. // While the team agreed it might be possible to drink liquids from a corked flask, consuming pints of ale or grilled meats underwater is too much of a stretch.

tyler-durden-whoa.gif

They added Ray Tracing to The Witcher 3?!

Anyone else have their GoG Witcher 3 achievements reset?

I know it shoudn't bother me, but it kind of does. I was working on getting some of the more elusive ones and in the last month or so they were all reset. I'm unlocking newbie ones like I've never played before.

To properly take HDR screenshots, you need a capture program that is made for it. The easiest to use is the one built into GeForce Experience. You need to have Gamestream and the overlay enabled in the options to use it.

I tried the game after the RT patch game out and it was a stuttering mess. But I tried today and it seems to be completely fixed. No more stuttering and hitches. Maxed out everything with DLSS3. And people say no need to buy an RTX 4090. Try playing 4K games on a regular card with 120+ fps. :rolleyes:

I tried the game after the RT patch game out and it was a stuttering mess. But I tried today and it seems to be completely fixed. No more stuttering and hitches. Maxed out everything with DLSS3. And people say no need to buy an RTX 4090. Try playing 4K games on a regular card with 120+ fps. :rolleyes:
But my fake frames! /s

Back