The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
^

Again, please stop it with your hate banter, seriously. You are a fan-boy, we get it.

The lineup of titles that Nintendo has in the works for the rest of this year and into the next are enough that quite a few people I know, who didn't even look at a Wii are now seriously considering getting one. Most people I know who have a PS4 are basically waiting for Destiny. I do not know a lot of people in my area at all who even have a XBone.

It was not long ago we had threads/posts where folks much like yourself now were saying the 666% increase in Wii U sales was a turning point. The following months it sold poorly.

Which threads and months were these? The 666% sales increase occurred after the release of Mario Kart 8. So what span of months are you referring to? Do you even know what you're talking about? (That's a rhetorical question.)

The 3DS turn around simply won't happen...

It already has. 3DS has a lifetime install base of 43 million, and is the number two selling gaming device.

Additionally, Wii U sales are up 85-90% YOY.

Facts are inconvenient, I know, but you aren't entitled to your own universe of truthiness.

Yeah, as a primarily PC gamer, right now if I had to choose a console to buy it'd be a Wii-U after their E3 presentation.

Slightly off-topic, but I've been trying to figure out what game(s) to buy next for my 3DS (have Zelda: ALBW (finished), Pokemon Y and Monster Hunter 3). JRPGs don't really do it for me and that seems to be a fair amount of the decent games for the system. I am definitely going to pick up Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter 4 but that's not until October and beyond. I was thinking about Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing (although I'm not sure I have the time to commit to a game like that...is it still in real-time?), or maybe something like Rune Factory 4 (again, seems time-consuming). Any other recommendations?

I think next-Jin was referring to the Wii U not having a 3DS-like turn around, not that the 3DS itself did not have a turn around.

Yeah screw Tom Nook!! Little cheapskate slum lord bastard! :D

It's not a new game, but if you don't have Pilot Wings, I highly recommend it. It's a relaxing game.

Yep, PC+WiiU is a perfect combination, with the widest range of game types. If you don't game on a PC, then one of the other consoles makes a lot of sense. However, anyone with a PC that won't buy more than one console should get a WiiU. This is just my opinion, but one has to admit, it makes some degree of sense. Everyone is free to do their own thing though of course.

That makes sense. I see people mainly recommending PS4 based solely on specs and nothing else.

Get Animal Crossing. It is nearly impossible to hate on that game :)

Probably the most boring game I played in my entire life. Many people like it, but damn it did not appeal to me at all. I actually feel asleep playing it, serious.

I loved Animal Crossing on the GC, but then again this was in college when I had a lot of free time during the day to play games. One issue was that when we typically would play in the evening, all of the stores were closed in-game because it runs in real time. We had to set the GC like 3 hours back in order to actually get anything done.

Does the 3DS one do the same thing? The concept is interesting but the execution is actually pretty annoying.

That makes sense. I see people mainly recommending PS4 based solely on specs and nothing else.

Probably the most boring game I played in my entire life. Many people like it, but damn it did not appeal to me at all. I actually feel asleep playing it, serious.

The PS4 seems to be a pretty cool console really. I just haven't seen any games yet that scream "BUY ME, You know you want to!" If/When that happens, I'd be open to it. Honestly though at the current time anything that looked interesting on it, I could get in Steam. If No Man's Sky turned out to be exclusive, I'd probably pick one up.

As far as Animal Crossing. Yeah, it's a bit boring. I played the DS version way back, and I actually did enjoy it quite a bit for a short time. Just because it was different at the time. I don't think I could ever go back and play another one though. Not to mention, I let it sit for about a week and this little gopher guy pops up and starts yelling at me about responsibility and how I've neglected my game. Kinda made me vomit a little bit. :D I wanted to reach into the screen and slap him.

I loved Animal Crossing on the GC, but then again this was in college when I had a lot of free time AND WEED during the day to play games.
ftfy :D

I plan to buy a Wii U at some point, and a PS4 if there are enough exclusives for it. As others have stated though, if games keep coming to PC as well then maybe the PS4 is not worth it. This is one advantage Nintendo has over the others, a few good exclusives are almost guaranteed and offer a good incentive. I'm also happy to see folks claiming the games look good. That goes to show how little specs really matter at the end of the day. Art direction, frame-rate and gameplay are big players too, for sure!

Slightly off-topic, but I've been trying to figure out what game(s) to buy next for my 3DS (have Zelda: ALBW (finished), Pokemon Y and Monster Hunter 3). JRPGs don't really do it for me and that seems to be a fair amount of the decent games for the system. I am definitely going to pick up Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter 4 but that's not until October and beyond. I was thinking about Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing (although I'm not sure I have the time to commit to a game like that...is it still in real-time?), or maybe something like Rune Factory 4 (again, seems time-consuming). Any other recommendations?

professor layton and the azran legacy, i can also gift you a move in demo code for tomodachi life.

professor layton and the azran legacy, i can also gift you a move in demo code for tomodachi life.

I didn't quite get the idea behind Tomodachi Life...it's like Sims with Miis kind of?

Will check out Professor Layton...I played one of them on the DS but I don't remember getting that hooked on it.

Which threads and months were these? The 666% sales increase occurred after the release of Mario Kart 8. So what span of months are you referring to? Do you even know what you're talking about? (That's a rhetorical question.)

You're right 666% was with MK8, but do some fact checking, it's seen larger increases and smaller increase than that before

It already has. 3DS has a lifetime install base of 43 million, and is the number two selling gaming device.

Additionally, Wii U sales are up 85-90% YOY.

Facts are inconvenient, I know, but you aren't entitled to your own universe of truthiness.

You're right the 666% was with MK8, my apologies. I should have said 875% in May of 2013, the 200% increase for DKC TF or the 250% increase for Mario 3D World. 400 % for the Zelda bundle or the others including the bumps for Pikmon. None of those sales were sustained, not one. It dropped back down to soon after to where it usually is. It did poorly all year long and into this one compared to historical averages. If the Xbox One/PS4 have lower sales they still beat the Wii U and it's only because it was a late Spring month with no releases. This I is not some bad thing or a hit towards Nintendo, it's just the truth of the matter.

The facts are what they are, YOY increases means nothing if the previous year had it selling as well as the Vita or Dreamcast. The Wii U doesn't have legs and it simply can't sustain the sales needed to compete to bring over the third party support.

The Vita saw a 1600% increase in sales in May, who cares about that percentage when it was what 53k?

Nintendo might make money on the Wii U, I'm not contesting that, nor do I think they have to beat Microsoft or Sony. The facts that have been stated countless times now is that it will be the worst selling console in their history other than the Virtual Boy, it'll be a very distant 3rd place and it's future game releases are exceptionally meager and barren.

That's what the OP means with his thread title.

The underlying discussion in this thread has been their lack of adapting and continued decline. Look at the total lifetime sales for all of their consoles, they have always lost a lot of marketshare with every new release up until the Wii. The Wii U is actually Nintendo being Nintendo and it's par the course.

EDIT:

The 3DS comment was already responded too, but if you had take the time to browse the thread (I wouldn't think anyone would outright read the entire thing) you would see that comparison made before several times. I did not say the 3DS did not get turned around. I specifically said the same turn around is impossible for the Wii U. The 3DS was competing with the Vita which is all but dead and the cost of making 3DS games is a fraction of what the Wii U is, development time is also a fraction of what the Wii U dev cycle is. The Wii U is competing with the PS4 and One, you won't see a 3DS like turn around for the Wii U.

Last edited:
The thread title is meaningless punk-speak. Done means finished and the Wii U is clearly not finished. But please, carry on with your broken-record horseshit because it's positively delightful to read (over and over and over).

The thread title is meaningless punk-speak. Done means finished and the Wii U is clearly not finished. But please, carry on with your broken-record horseshit because it's positively delightful to read (over and over and over).

Your right it's not finished for the 10 million people that ultimately buy it for a dozen games. If you have something to challenge me (or the overall thread) please go right ahead. I don't go into the Wii U game specific threads talking trash on the same 6 people who post in there. I know this stuff and it's what I like discussing.

It's the same people who enjoy those threads and Nintendo die hards who come in getting mad at people because they don't like what they are hearing.

Sorry man, it is what it is. If you don't like it or have nothing specific to debate why post or come in here at all just to get angry that you have a 300+ dollar Nintendo box.

I went months without posting after Iwata and company came to reality and the thread was pretty much over. We get new post saying the Wii U is showing signs of life and I get called out of retirement.

I'm hoping Eradan reveals that he also builds supercharged lawnmowers and challenges next-Jin to a no-holds barred lawnmower racing-a-thon, livestreamed for all of us, of course.

I think that race would really add to this thread.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Eradan reveals that he also builds supercharged lawnmowers and challenges next-Jin to a hillbilly race circuit in Kentucky (or wherever it is that racing lawnmowers are popular), livestreamed for all of us, of course.

I think that race would really add to this thread.

Hillbilly is such a derogatory term.

Your right it's not finished for the 10 million people that ultimately buy it for a dozen games. If you have something to challenge me (or the overall thread) please go right ahead. I don't go into the Wii U game specific threads talking trash on the same 6 people who post in there. I know this stuff and it's what I like discussing.

It's the same people who enjoy those threads and Nintendo die hards who come in getting mad at people because they don't like what they are hearing.

Sorry man, it is what it is. If you don't like it or have nothing specific to debate why post or come in here at all just to get angry that you have a 300+ dollar Nintendo box.

I went months without posting after Iwata and company came to reality and the thread was pretty much over. We get new post saying the Wii U is showing signs of life and I get called out of retirement.

What exactly is there to challenge? The Wii U isn't selling well? No shit. You have nothing to say that hasn't been said by countless other fanboys on NeoGAF. Please get over this silly pretense that you're some ace debater. Sales are down. Yes. Nothing is "done". Period.

What exactly is there to challenge? The Wii U isn't selling well? No shit. You have nothing to say that hasn't been said by countless other fanboys on NeoGAF. Please get over this silly pretense that you're some ace debater. Sales are down. Yes. Nothing is "done". Period.

There is plenty to debate, like the post earlier saying they are fine with large percentage increases and almost 100% YoY sales increases.

Like I said I was done with the thread, it popped back up with people discussing and I replied with logical responses. You have not.

There is plenty to debate, like the post earlier saying they are fine with large percentage increases and almost 100% YoY sales increases.

Like I said I was done with the thread, it popped back up with people discussing and I replied with logical responses. You have not.

I think you're high on mower exhaust. Conjecture, vague comments, and re-stating what is already known ad nauseum does not equal logical responses. Once again, no one is arguing the fact that Wii U sales are awful. No one in this thread. No one at my local Gamestop. No one at Nintendo.

I've asked you to be specific about your definition of "done". There's nothing vague about what that word means and the Wii U is definitely not "done".

You said: A bump in sales makes little difference over the course of the fiscal year. Are you suggesting that Nintendo would better off without that bump in sales? How is THAT logical?

I asked you what you mean by "dire straights" and you said something like: it means the Wii U is in dire straights. Does that mean they're going to pull them all off store shelves tomorrow? Or that they're stopping production on Wii U games? Or does it mean it's going to sell less than the PS4 or XB1?

Please, continue with your one-man Great Debaters performance. Please continue to post charts illustrating poor sales. Tell us again how Iwata's acknowledgement of significantly lower-than-expected Wii U sales is the end of whatever you're trying to argue.

Please help me see where your logic is because I'm having trouble seeing it. And that's either because it ain't there or I'm missing it because I'm one half hillbilly, myself. ;)

I think you're high on mower exhaust. Conjecture, vague comments, and re-stating what is already known ad nauseum does not equal logical responses. Once again, no one is arguing the fact that Wii U sales are awful. No one in this thread. No one at my local Gamestop. No one at Nintendo.

I've asked you to be specific about your definition of "done". There's nothing vague about what that word means and the Wii U is definitely not "done".

You said: A bump in sales makes little difference over the course of the fiscal year. Are you suggesting that Nintendo would better off without that bump in sales? How is THAT logical?

I asked you what you mean by "dire straights" and you said something like: it means the Wii U is in dire straights. Does that mean they're going to pull them all off store shelves tomorrow? Or that they're stopping production on Wii U games? Or does it mean it's going to sell less than the PS4 or XB1?

Please, continue with your one-man Great Debaters performance. Please continue to post charts illustrating poor sales. Tell us again how Iwata's acknowledgement of significantly lower-than-expected Wii U sales is the end of whatever you're trying to argue.

Please help me see where your logic is because I'm having trouble seeing it. And that's either because it ain't there or I'm missing it because I'm one half hillbilly, myself. ;)

Reread the OPs post, if someone directly challenges that then there is room for discussion. Even his post suggests it's done in the same fashion I am Eradan. It's not done as in dead and abandoned but that's not what the OP was suggesting.

It's a simple definition, it's done for might have been a better acknowledgement I suppose but it's not going to be in the running in any aspect of comparison.

Dire straights means what I said it means, reread what I said. I didn't say it's just in dire straights so it's in dire straights. I gave ample reasons to suggest why it's in it's situation and what the ultimate outcome will be.

The recent interview in industry.biz was enlightening because it's exactly what people are pointing to showing how out of touch they are.

I want a strong Nintendo, they make excellent games. But unless they change their attitudes and adapt they won't be around forever even with 4 billion in the bank.

I traded in my PS4 and 2 games for a wii u and 2 games. It came out to an even trade with everything I purchased.

I'm a PC gamer, but for some dumb reason, I still buy Sony consoles, PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4, but I never play them! I finally decided to trade it in for the wii u and I'm glad I did. My gf only likes the "old school" type of games, so the wii u was a perfect fit. We played Mario 3D for 3 hours last time... longest time ever gaming with the gf. It gave me a chub.

Anyways, anything I should know about this thing? The game pad is pretty bad ass, can I use 2 on the same system? The gf was getting upset she had a dinky controller with some ugly nunchuck, lol.

I traded in my PS4 and 2 games for a wii u and 2 games. It came out to an even trade with everything I purchased.

I'm a PC gamer, but for some dumb reason, I still buy Sony consoles, PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4, but I never play them! I finally decided to trade it in for the wii u and I'm glad I did. My gf only likes the "old school" type of games, so the wii u was a perfect fit. We played Mario 3D for 3 hours last time... longest time ever gaming with the gf. It gave me a chub.

Anyways, anything I should know about this thing? The game pad is pretty bad ass, can I use 2 on the same system? The gf was getting upset she had a dinky controller with some ugly nunchuck, lol.

Congrats sir, you have won.

next-Jin you're STILL complaining?

latest week ending numbers for vgachartz

#1 PS4 121,544
#2 Wii U 84,334
#3 PS3 46,716

Wait, what? Where is the all mighty Xbone 1 at?

#4 37,927

why don't you go back quite a bit in this thread and find where I said that no one was going to be really thrilled overall with their console sales this time around due to economic conditions and behold, I was pretty spot on....

Last edited:
Duh, I guess I should have figured that one out, lol.

She can use it when she plays solo :D

Heh, I'm one to talk. I never give it up when the kids want it. :D I think maybe picking up a Pro controller might help though. Plus, if I remember correctly, it will work on the PC. (don't know about button mapping though)

#1 PS4 121,544
#2 Wii U 84,334
#3 PS3 46,716

#4 37,927

why don't you go back quite a bit in this thread and find where I said that no one was going to be really thrilled overall with their console sales this time around due to economic conditions and behold, I was pretty spot on....

Pretty good numbers there. Nintendo lives and dies on those first party releases.

Last edited:
I would just like to lol at everyone on this thread who doesn't know how dire straits is spelled. Stop relying on spellchecker and get an education. :p

I would just like to lol at everyone on this thread who doesn't know how dire straits is spelled. Stop relying on spellchecker and get an education. :p

Bah. Too complicated and fancy words for us simple folk to understand. :D

Too spell dire straights write would take to much effort on there part. Your being unfair in you're judgement.

:D

(I didn't get to use all of my pet peeves there, but...)

Pretty good numbers there. Nintendo lives and dies on those first party release.

This is in all honesty the truth of the matter. Nintendo thrives when they release first party titles, and they know this. Their choice in expanding IP's, and even picking up select third party titles (X) are the best decisions they have made in recent months! I agree, if Nintendo stops doing first party titles, than yes, the Wii-U will be "done".

#1 PS4 121,544
#2 Wii U 84,334
#3 PS3 46,716

#4 37,927

Well for one it's VGChartz, and two it's weekly numbers on the week of MK8 dropping. I'm not sure how you are taking either seriously given the conversation.

I think Microsoft and Sony are thrilled with their sales, they have set historic records after all. Sony is ahead of where the Wii was in the same time span and Microsoft is doing very well.

Well for one it's VGChartz, and two it's weekly numbers on the week of MK8 dropping. I'm not sure how you are taking either seriously given the conversation.

I think Microsoft and Sony are thrilled with their sales, they have set historic records after all. Sony is ahead of where the Wii was in the same time span and Microsoft is doing very well.

MS is doing so well they were forced to give in to demands and drop the Kinect. I don't disagree with you that the Wii U will end up being the lowest of the three this generation but let's not pretend MS is doing super great either. Titanfall wasn't the massive hit anyone wanted and XB1 sales are not great compared to their primary rival (at least prior to this month, it will be interesting to see what the Kinect-less SKU does for them). MS is still hiding behind the "shipped to stores" number where as Sony is all over touting their sold to customers numbers, both are pretty telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back