The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS is doing so well they were forced to give in to demands and drop the Kinect. I don't disagree with you that the Wii U will end up being the lowest of the three this generation but let's not pretend MS is doing super great either. Titanfall wasn't the massive hit anyone wanted and XB1 sales are not great compared to their primary rival (at least prior to this month, it will be interesting to see what the Kinect-less SKU does for them). MS is still hiding behind the "shipped to stores" number where as Sony is all over touting their sold to customers numbers, both are pretty telling.

No I agree that compared to Sony in NA they have some work to do but they are doing well in a historical context. They removed Kinect and have done a huge 180 because it gives them better footing compared to their main competition. They see with PS4 sales next generation console demand is quite large and their sales are not hitting those expectations.

They don't have the rest of the world to rely on, for Microsoft it's NA, UK, and Australia or bust.

The catch here is that they made the necessary changes in order to grow and compete. Nintendo has not, and probably won't until after their next console bombs. Nintendo is going to have to be forced to change and right now they don't have to because they are still riding the coat tails of the Wii success.

Last edited:
Well for one it's VGChartz, and two it's weekly numbers on the week of MK8 dropping. I'm not sure how you are taking either seriously given the conversation.

I think Microsoft and Sony are thrilled with their sales, they have set historic records after all. Sony is ahead of where the Wii was in the same time span and Microsoft is doing very well.

quit talking out of your bottom end, point is you are wrong and that's it so take your crap and go somewhere else..... lets not forget that Wii U sales are up 20% year over year while we're at it....

MS dropping the kinnect was

1. a big FU to everyone that has the console
2. fragmenting their user base.

quit talking out of your bottom end, point is you are wrong and that's it so take your crap and go somewhere else..... lets not forget that Wii U sales are up 20% year over year while we're at it....

It's up year over year from a horrible previous year Yue, it's only bump this entire year has been this last month with MK8. If they grow to 100k a month and sustain it I'd be impressed. But that's probably not going to happen.

You haven't challenged any of my posts, you're starting to act like Vlad. The point is I'm right and you're getting upset.

The Xbox One is not fragmented, the Kinect is. You could classify it as a big FU but that's not really what it was. A big FU would have been keeping the Kinect and all of their policies from a year ago.

Last edited:
All I'm going to say is the only console that has a 143 page "is dead" thread is the Wii U.

Wonder why that is... :p

It's not a "fu" to people that bought the console. It's a reaction to the market and MS realizing that they need price parity with Sony. Have a Kinect bundle as the only way to buy the system was a stupid idea in the first place, on top of a launch filled with stupid ideas. The Kinect was NEVER going to be what MS wanted it to be.The voice controls are cool and having it log you in just by seeing you is nice but beyond that it's a silly novelty. MS' attempt to capture the Wii audience failed on the 360 and it was never going to succeed on the XB1.

I believe the general understanding of how it works is if you get upset you start ridiculing, making fun of, throwing asinine arguments to a wall, straw manning, etc.

Please feel free to point it out Furystrike, otherwise try not to quote me on a statement I never made. You've been here 10 years so I'd imagine your mature enough to know better.

It's not a "fu" to people that bought the console. It's a reaction to the market and MS realizing that they need price parity with Sony. Have a Kinect bundle as the only way to buy the system was a stupid idea in the first place, on top of a launch filled with stupid ideas. The Kinect was NEVER going to be what MS wanted it to be.The voice controls are cool and having it log you in just by seeing you is nice but beyond that it's a silly novelty. MS' attempt to capture the Wii audience failed on the 360 and it was never going to succeed on the XB1.

yes it is a FU, cause now you have a bunch of people that were forced to buy it if they wanted the console and now it's being dumped faster than Dennis Rodman was after he drilled Madonna

It's up year over year from a horrible previous year Yue, it's only bump this entire year has been this last month with MK8. If they grow to 100k a month and sustain it I'd be impressed. But that's probably not going to happen.

You haven't challenged any of my posts, you're starting to act like Vlad. The point is I'm right and you're getting upset.

The Xbox One is not fragmented, the Kinect is. You could classify it as a big FU but that's not really what it was. A big FU would have been keeping the Kinect and all of their policies from a year ago.

lets see

1. I told you Wii U isn't dead, you lost
2. I told you that console sales for any of these guys would not be what they wanted, you lost
3. Wii U sales are up YTY, you lost because a dead console does not experience an increase in YTY sales
4. MS is still in third place and at the rate they are going they may not even get to 2nd....
5. the Kinnect is part of the XBONE package, removing it does fragment the console....

yes it is a FU, cause now you have a bunch of people that were forced to buy it if they wanted the console and now it's being dumped faster than Dennis Rodman was after he drilled Madonna

Again, it's a reaction to the market. You can't expect them to keep selling the console as it is when they're not selling a lot of units. The real "FU" was forcing people to buy it in the first place and not listening to what customers wanted. Removing Kinect and having it at a lower price is the exact opposite, it's giving in to what people wanted from the get-go.

Again, it's a reaction to the market. You can't expect them to keep selling the console as it is when they're not selling a lot of units. The real "FU" was forcing people to buy it in the first place and not listening to what customers wanted. Removing Kinect and having it at a lower price is the exact opposite, it's giving in to what people wanted from the get-go.

It probably would have been better to leave the Kinect in and just lower the price. (It was already being done anyways with the $449 unit with game.) Of course, people would whine and carry on anyways which is what many do best I guess.

I know it's a reaction to the market but it is (if you really want to look at it) a double FU to the people whom have it and didn't want it

1. people were forced to but it if they wanted XBONE
2. now people are stuck with it that didn't want it and now there will be less development for it...

The catch here is that they made the necessary changes in order to grow and compete. Nintendo has not, and probably won't until after their next console bombs. Nintendo is going to have to be forced to change and right now they don't have to because they are still riding the coat tails of the Wii success.

Or maybe the fact that they dominate the hand-held market gives them the freedom to experiment, take chances, or do anything they want that isn't just a carbon copy of Sony and Microsoft with a little Mario and Zelda on top.

I mean that's what you want right? You want a Nintendo console that you can play the same third-party crapola that's available for Sony and Microsoft. And the option to buy a Mario or Zelda or Smash or Metroid game too?

Is that what it will take to save the day for Nintendo? A PS4 clone that plays Zelda?

And I still call bullshit on the OP's notion that the Wii U will not be a "major player" this generation (whichever generation he is referring to). As long as Nintendo is making hardware and software, they will ALWAYS be a major player, whether they have Wii success or a Wii U downturn.

Last edited:

Indeed. They had to drop Kinect , it wasn't flying with consumers for $100. If they had taken the hit and just made the launch bundle $399 they might have actually stood a much better chance. But they could have also used that money to beef up the system so it can actually run 1080p games with ease native.

But luckily for Microsoft the average consumer can't tell the difference between native 1080p from upscaled 1080p. They couldn't tell last generation and they still can't now. However the PS4 has more 60fps games which is something that even the average consumer can see the difference.

Microsoft only has to do ONE thing.. focus on the games. Sony taught everyone that you can dig yourself out of the hole (hell the PS3 launched at $600) and become quite successful in the long run (now that the PS3 has basically equaled the Xbox 360 in sales).

We are just beginning this generation , nothing is set in stone.

lets see

1. I told you Wii U isn't dead, you lost
2. I told you that console sales for any of these guys would not be what they wanted, you lost
3. Wii U sales are up YTY, you lost because a dead console does not experience an increase in YTY sales
4. MS is still in third place and at the rate they are going they may not even get to 2nd....
5. the Kinnect is part of the XBONE package, removing it does fragment the console....

1. Never said it was dead, it's done.
2. Sony and Microsoft set records and Sony is selling better than the Wii.
3. Look at the numbers YoY doesn't mean much when it's previous year and the beginning of this year was awful.
4. You can't be serious with any of these.
5. Explain to us how the One is fragmented since they dropped Kinect.

Or maybe the fact that they dominate the hand-held market gives them the freedom to experiment, take chances, or do anything they want that isn't just a carbon copy of Sony and Microsoft with a little Mario and Zelda on top.

I mean that's what you want right? You want a Nintendo console that you can play the same third-party crapola that's available for Sony and Microsoft. And the option to buy a Mario or Zelda or Smash or Metroid game too?

Is that what it will take to save the day for Nintendo? A PS4 clone that plays Zelda?

And I still call bullshit on the OP's notion that the Wii U will not be a "major player" this generation (whichever generation he is referring to). As long as Nintendo is making hardware and software, they will ALWAYS be a major player, whether they have Wii success or a Wii U downturn.

They improved 3DS sales but it's not giving them the freedom to experiment. It's down significantly from where the DS was and Nintendo had around 8-10 billion in the bank. They have about 4-6 now, that's a big ass experiment.

Indeed. They had to drop Kinect , it wasn't flying with consumers for $100. If they had taken the hit and just made the launch bundle $399 they might have actually stood a much better chance. But they could have also used that money to beef up the system so it can actually run 1080p games with ease native.

But luckily for Microsoft the average consumer can't tell the difference between native 1080p from upscaled 1080p. They couldn't tell last generation and they still can't now. However the PS4 has more 60fps games which is something that even the average consumer can see the difference.

Microsoft only has to do ONE thing.. focus on the games. Sony taught everyone that you can dig yourself out of the hole (hell the PS3 launched at $600) and become quite successful in the long run (now that the PS3 has basically equaled the Xbox 360 in sales).

We are just beginning this generation , nothing is set in stone.

Yep I agree, but Sony was only able to catch up thanks to Asia and Europe. They got decimated in NA, UK and Australia. I think that's the main reason MS dropped Kinect. They have to do well in those markets again.

I know it's a reaction to the market but it is (if you really want to look at it) a double FU to the people whom have it and didn't want it

1. people were forced to but it if they wanted XBONE
2. now people are stuck with it that didn't want it and now there will be less development for it...

Those people who you say its a big 'FU' too could have just bought a PS4, but they didnt, even knowing the XBone was inferior from the getgo, so imo that arguement is invalid. Also, you have been a Nintendo sympathizer on these boards for years, so almost any argument you put forth imo is invalid. :D I have all three new consoles, and all at launch, save the Xbone, which i just bought due to the kinectless options. The Wii-U is still by multitudes, the worst option on the table unless you care about 2-3 games total ever coming to it. Just glad i can have the console exclusives to any of them at this point.

Those people who you say its a big 'FU' too could have just bought a PS4, but they didnt, even knowing the XBone was inferior from the getgo, so imo that arguement is invalid.

I dunno, MS was really pushing that the 'kinect is essential to the XBone' experience when they launched it, and people did buy into that idea and purchased the original package expecting kinect to really prove itself. I'd say it's a bit of a 'FU' on MS' part when a year later they release a new bundle, for $100 less, that says "hey, that kinect isn't that essential for gaming on XBone" and they never really released any software that confirmed their original vision of kinect being essential for the XBone experience. So, yeah, that's a bit of a 'FU'.

Kudos to MS for recognizing this though, and releasing the cheaper bundle. TBH, I find it similar to the Wii U gamepad. It's a peripheral that Nintendo promised would be essential to the Wii U experience and nothing has really materialized that would confirm this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Wii U and find the gamepad handy for times when the wife wants to watch her Teen Mom shows, but I wouldn't deem it to be essential to the Wii U experience. And really, I would've been fine if they brought the streaming capabilities to the 3DS instead (ala PS4 to Vita), so I could still get that functionality of the Wii U gamepad - but for a cheaper base price.

See personally I feel that the Wii U is the best of the bunch unless you care about the exclusives on the other systems. Right now neither the ps4 or x1 has any games that are worthwhile to play whereas the Wii U has quite a few that see regular action in the household.

See personally I feel that the Wii U is the best of the bunch unless you care about the exclusives on the other systems. Right now neither the ps4 or x1 has any games that are worthwhile to play whereas the Wii U has quite a few that see regular action in the household.

Right now I think the Wii U has the best line up this year. MS and Sony both have a couple potentially good exclusives but Nintendo seems to have the most and a really good verity of them. 2015 looks potentially great for the PS4 and XB1 though.

They improved 3DS sales but it's not giving them the freedom to experiment. It's down significantly from where the DS was and Nintendo had around 8-10 billion in the bank. They have about 4-6 now, that's a big ass experiment.

Yes it does. They own the handheld market.

Again, you just pull shit out of your ass and pretend you're starring in the The Great Debaters.

No one will challenge you, you say. All you respond with are lame semantics arguments and conjecture and when someone schools you, you either ignore it or respond with: no it isn't with nothing to back it up. Or you post some chart of sale numbers from a site that you approve. As if your word settles the matter. Like arguing with a child.

Here's the truth, Sgt. Smartipants. The only thing you are right about is that Wii U sales have been very poor. All you have beyond that is a lot of bullshit. NOTHING. TO. CHALLENGE.

Yes it does. They own the handheld market.

Again, you just pull shit out of your ass and pretend you're starring in the The Great Debaters.

No one will challenge you, you say. All you respond with are lame semantics arguments and conjecture and when someone schools you, you either ignore it or respond with: no it isn't with nothing to back it up. Or you post some chart of sale numbers from a site that you approve. As if your word settles the matter. Like arguing with a child.

Here's the truth, Sgt. Smartipants. The only thing you are right about is that Wii U sales have been very poor. All you have beyond that is a lot of bullshit. NOTHING. TO. CHALLENGE.

Where are the schooled posts? All the posts are BS eh? All of the industry experts and Iwata must be wrong then. I've thoroughly backed up my posts with historical evidence, Nintendos own remarks and several articles covering the same topic throughout this post. If you mean I shrugged off the articles mentioning VGChartz then of course I did. They are always very wrong and anyone who uses that site for numbers is ignorant about how they come to their conclusions. NPD and other company reports (overseas) get their data directly from retail. Those are the numbers that matter and with proper study and reports you can get very close to the real numbers without relying on official statements from Press Releases.

And the proper abbreviation is SGT btw, it's uppercase without the period.

If you pay attention to the conversation you'd see I only respond to posts saying the Wii U is fine, it's going to be #2 this generation, etc.

I don't post in other Nintendo threads because they are of no interest to me. This one does interest me because it's the first console that is doing this poorly after a huge predecessor with social media, news outlets, and countless other avenues of getting real, verifiable information hours after it comes out.

And yes you are right, Nintendo does own the handheld market, what's the market penetration compared to the DS or even gameboy advance again?

Last edited:
1. Never said it was dead, it's done.
2. Sony and Microsoft set records and Sony is selling better than the Wii.
3. Look at the numbers YoY doesn't mean much when it's previous year and the beginning of this year was awful.
4. You can't be serious with any of these.
5. Explain to us how the One is fragmented since they dropped Kinect.

Did you even read his comments before you posted?

1. Yes, you said its done, however, you are wrong. They are not DONE, Nintendo has released 3 major titles that have boosted sales and have several more titles coming up that will most likely boost sales again. As this happens and more and more good games come out, they will most likely start selling based entirely on word of mouth.

2. He didn't say Nintendo was going to sell better, he said that all three console makers would not reach their "initial projected numbers" which is true, not a single one of them did, and while Sony is making headway for their numbers and Nintendo has adjusted their numbers to be more realistic, Microsoft is still expecting huge numbers.

3. You are wrong, again, Nintendo had already adjusted their expected sales numbers at the beginning of the year and because of this were actually close to being on target. Now they have exceeded their numbers and are adjusting accordingly.

4. Why can't he be? Microsoft's only answer so far was to drop the Kinect, something that should have been offered in the beginning, either get the bundle with Kinect or just buy the straight system. Had Microsoft done this, their numbers would have been better in the first place. However, lack of good games doesn't help either. 90% of the titles you can get on both Sony and M$ consoles are also PC games too, whereas 95% of the titles on a Nintendo are for the console only. Now, price wise, Sony and M$ are the same, however a large majority of people are going by specs alone, sorry, Sony has a better system than M$, I expect M$ to also stay behind in sales for quite a long time.

5. See above. This is something that should have been offered in the beginning and quite a few people who bought the XBone in the first place really didn't want Kinect and voiced themselves but still bought the product, than M$ turns around and says screw it, now those who own the system already but didn't want the kinect now feel they have a $100 paperweight.

2. He didn't say Nintendo was going to sell better, he said that all three console makers would not reach their "initial projected numbers" which is true, not a single one of them did, and while Sony is making headway for their numbers and Nintendo has adjusted their numbers to be more realistic, Microsoft is still expecting huge numbers.

Sony actually stated the PS4 is far exceeding their sales expectations. I'm not sure where you got the idea it isn't. Sony expected 5 million units by end of March 14, they had hit 7. Sony has stated they even ran into supply issues getting the console out. Source

Did you even read his comments before you posted?

1. Yes, you said its done, however, you are wrong. They are not DONE, Nintendo has released 3 major titles that have boosted sales and have several more titles coming up that will most likely boost sales again. As this happens and more and more good games come out, they will most likely start selling based entirely on word of mouth.

3. You are wrong, again, Nintendo had already adjusted their expected sales numbers at the beginning of the year and because of this were actually close to being on target. Now they have exceeded their numbers and are adjusting accordingly.

4. Why can't he be? Microsoft's only answer so far was to drop the Kinect, something that should have been offered in the beginning, either get the bundle with Kinect or just buy the straight system. Had Microsoft done this, their numbers would have been better in the first place. However, lack of good games doesn't help either. 90% of the titles you can get on both Sony and M$ consoles are also PC games too, whereas 95% of the titles on a Nintendo are for the console only. Now, price wise, Sony and M$ are the same, however a large majority of people are going by specs alone, sorry, Sony has a better system than M$, I expect M$ to also stay behind in sales for quite a long time.

5. See above. This is something that should have been offered in the beginning and quite a few people who bought the XBone in the first place really didn't want Kinect and voiced themselves but still bought the product, than M$ turns around and says screw it, now those who own the system already but didn't want the kinect now feel they have a $100 paperweight.

1. Every single title they released that saw increases in sales of hardware also saw a sharp decline within 2 weeks every time going back to their baseline. Those by week increases still fail to meet average PS4 and One sales (other than when MK8 was released). In June if Nintendo manages 100k+ I'd be impressed, they sold about 61k for March most of it coming from the MK8 launch. I expect it to do 80k or so in June and fall back down to 50k in July and managing that till SSB.

93JSIC5.png

There is a graph with your 3 major titles that boosted sales. It's still trending worse than any other console they have released. It'll be updated for June so I'll be sure to repost it when June's NPD is out. I'd really love to know what "several" other titles are coming out this year other than SSB that you believe will sell consoles.

2. They all failed to meet sales expectations? I assume you are thinking of Sony Corp in general and not SCE.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-18/sony-sells-5-4-million-ps4-consoles-to-top-forecast.html

3. How is that wrong exactly? Nintendo adjusted a ridiculous projection of 9 million sold down to a little over 3 million right before the end of their deadline. It was like a weeks notice, their previous year wasn't awful because they failed to meet expectations. It was awful because it was awful. Even if they had initially forecast 2 million sold and sold through 3 million consoles it's still terrible. You're trying to make a point by changing the rules to somehow suit your position.

4. He can't possibly be serious because he said:

MS is still in third place and at the rate they are going they may not even get to 2nd....

Just by looking at every months sales of each consoles respective life that is an asinine statement.

5. What exactly are you trying to say here? That Microsoft said FU to it's userbase or that the Xbox One platform is now fragmented? In either case I've already addressed it in previous posts. The big FU was the initial reveal and DRM, and the One is certainly not fragmented now.

So the Wii U is "done" (i.e. not a major player) because it is not selling well. We know it's not selling well because Iwata said so and you have some charts. I'm with you on this. But...

So what does not being a "major player this generation" mean?

So the Wii U is "done" (i.e. not a major player) because it is not selling well. We know it's not selling well because Iwata said so and you have some charts. I'm with you on this. But...

So what does not being a "major player this generation" mean?

It means about 15 million in LTD sales with about a dozen games or so. Basically no third party support, and a large used console business.

I think if they had made it where it could have been cut off/disconected, have the same price or little lower and done both of those at the start, kinect drama would have been pretty much non existent.

Last edited:
It means about 15 million in LTD sales with about a dozen games or so. Basically no third party support, and a large used console business.

It is incredibly premature to be calling out life-time sales data right now. If Smash makes a splash in the FGC then Wii U sales could even out at a higher point then they are now. Though the reaction coming out of E3 from that community has been mixed so we'll see. If Zelda Wii U can get past the shadow of Skyward Sword's failure it could also have a long lasting impact. There are way too many ifs and maybes right now to make any kind of definitive call on sales numbers. It might be a good idea for Nintendo to shave another $50 off the price of the system prior to the launch of SSB and bundle the system with the game at that new price (like they did for Wind Waker).

See below as far as LTD. You're guessing. Your last sentence is just stating what we already know.

It is incredibly premature to be calling out life-time sales data right now. If Smash makes a splash in the FGC then Wii U sales could even out at a higher point then they are now. Though the reaction coming out of E3 from that community has been mixed so we'll see. If Zelda Wii U can get past the shadow of Skyward Sword's failure it could also have a long lasting impact. There are way too many ifs and maybes right now to make any kind of definitive call on sales numbers. It might be a good idea for Nintendo to shave another $50 off the price of the system prior to the launch of SSB and bundle the system with the game at that new price (like they did for Wind Waker).

I agree with Derangel. Too early to predict LTD sales. The best you can offer is conjecture based on precedent.

See below as far as LTD. You're guessing. Your last sentence is just stating what we already know.

I agree with Derangel. Too early to predict LTD sales. The best you can offer is conjecture based on precedent.

Sure it's guessing but it is a very educated guess. That 15 million in LTD is giving them a lot of credit. It assumes they sell 100k for every month they are selling for another 7 years. They have only sold over 100k in 3 months, it's release months and last Christmas which was 4x the sales.

That should be a respectable assumption especially if June fails to hit 100k after MK8. Which is why I said if they break 100k in June I would be impressed.

If they dropped the price to 199.99 it would increase baseline numbers and they might be able to hit 17 million. My only concern there is their continued statements on price drops and costs to bundle the pad.

Will enjoy reading this thread a few years from now when the Wii U continues not to be dead. :cool:

Of course it won't be dead, Nintendo will continue to sell their in house games but through 2015 I'm only expecting another 6 titles. Nintendo would be foolish to drop support this early.

The sooner the Wii-U is "done", the better...then it can drop to $150 or so and I can get one and a bunch of games for cheap. :D

One of the highlights of EA 2014, FIFA 15 was last week confirmed for launch on the recently released Xbox One and PS4. Now, EA has revealed the full console list set to receive its latest football offering.

The game will release across a plethora of platforms which includes the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, 3DS, PSP and PS Vita.

Fifa is one of the top selling brands in the world. Soccer is insanely popular especially outside of the US. Fifa 14 sold around 14m across all consoles. Specifically it sold 300k on the Wii.

If you look at the release list, the game is coming to every console except the Wii U, even the Wii. If they're willing to port to a Wii for 300k sales what does that say of their confidence in the Wii U? Hell they are doing another PSP port which only sold 160k copies.

When people say the Wii U is "done" this is what they mean. If you just wish to pay Nintendo games, pay your Nintendo tax (Wii U) and you will have a great time. If you wish to play almost anything else, the Wii U is done.

Fifa is one of the top selling brands in the world. Soccer is insanely popular especially outside of the US. Fifa 14 sold around 14m across all consoles. Specifically it sold 300k on the Wii.

If you look at the release list, the game is coming to every console except the Wii U, even the Wii. If they're willing to port to a Wii for 300k sales what does that say of their confidence in the Wii U? Hell they are doing another PSP port which only sold 160k copies.

When people say the Wii U is "done" this is what they mean. If you just wish to pay Nintendo games, pay your Nintendo tax (Wii U) and you will have a great time. If you wish to play almost anything else, the Wii U is done.

If they are releasing a Wii version then Wii U owners can buy that version :) I buy sports games in the 99 cent bin a year or two later. Pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back