The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are releasing a Wii version then Wii U owners can buy that version :) I buy sports games in the 99 cent bin a year or two later. Pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

Right, and if they buy the Wii version all those amazing new tablet gamepad features Nintendo tries to sell people on again are left worthless again.

Not having 3rd party support is a huge deal. Not only does it result in less variety for the console, it can also result to worse first party support as Nintendo has less money due to horrid 3rd party support.

had the misfortune of owning an xb1 and ps4, both of which I got rid of. the wii u, on the otherhand.. is a complete, well-polished console. 1080p @ 60 fps for the win. xb1 and ps4 are peasantry.

had the misfortune of owning an xb1 and ps4, both of which I got rid of. the wii u, on the otherhand.. is a complete, well-polished console. 1080p @ 60 fps for the win. xb1 and ps4 are peasantry.

psst. MK8 doesn't run at 1080p

The Wii U upscales some games :)

But yea if you want exclusive games the Wii U will have the larger selection.

the wii u, on the otherhand.. is a complete, well-polished console.

I didn't know that Nintendo's online presence and 3rd party support was on par with what Sony and Microsoft have to offer. /s

pssst its still better than every single PS4 exclusive

I think I'd have more fun with MK8 than Killzone: Shadow Fall, but it won't take much (once the exclusives start coming out) for the Ps4 exclusives (and even the XB1 exclusives) to surpass those of Nintendo's.

Nintendo has caught a temporary break right now....good for them, but it won't last long.

Unlike others, I don't want Nintendo to "fail"; what I want Nintendo to do is start making better decisions without relying on the same tried and true just to stay afloat. Nintendo used to be on their game....now, they don't care (and it shows). They are lazy, apathetic; nothing like Nintendo of the 90's and early 2000's.

If I always had three friends over to play MK8 with, I would agree it is better than all other PS4 exclusives combined :D

Aside from multiplayer though, there isn't much to MK8.

^ agree. and I don't mind that it upscales titles, but I prefer it over anything else available on ps4 / xb1. if I want a broken experience, I have watchdogs to play on my high end pc.

I didn't know that Nintendo's online presence and 3rd party support was on par with what Sony and Microsoft have to offer. /s

I haven't explored either of those areas much, but it plays games well, and that's what I want out of a console.

Fire Emblem x Shin megami still on track. For me this is all that matters. Two of my favorite series coming together in what is sure to be an amazing game.

I think I'd have more fun with MK8 than Killzone: Shadow Fall, but it won't take much (once the exclusives start coming out) for the Ps4 exclusives (and even the XB1 exclusives) to surpass those of Nintendo's.

As far a gameplay goes that might be a bit much, the 10/10 games are coming to those consoles and it took the Wii U a good bit of time to get them too. AAA 10/10 titles take awhile to make, but even though I think TLoU was game of the generation it's game play was not on the same level as SMG2 or what have you. Everything else blew it out of the water but that is Nintendos strong suit. They can't compete on any other level and it's what works for them. Their games are not the problem, it's their corporate structure and anti-western/anti-third party philosophy.

At least Wii U's games run 60fps.

With graphics from 2006 I'd fucking hope so. Also 2002 called, it would like to know what happened to the AA in MK8. Staircase lines are so last century. :)

Last edited:
Unlike others, I don't want Nintendo to "fail"; what I want Nintendo to do is start making better decisions without relying on the same tried and true just to stay afloat. Nintendo used to be on their game....now, they don't care (and it shows). They are lazy, apathetic; nothing like Nintendo of the 90's and early 2000's.

You make relying on the same tried and true sound like a bad thing unless that tried and true is doing exact same thing Sony and Microsoft are doing. See below...

If only Nintendo was just like Microsoft and Sony. But with Mario. Wouldn't that just be swell?

What's also swell is how people piss and moan about these console companies doing the same shit over and over again. At the same time, people shit on anything that might even remotely be construed as innovative or fresh.

I get it. I get it. Slap a Nintendo logo on a PS4 and port some Zelda games. Perfect.

You make relying on the same tried and true sound like a bad thing unless that tried and true is doing exact same thing Sony and Microsoft are doing. See below...

If only Nintendo was just like Microsoft and Sony. But with Mario. Wouldn't that just be swell?

What's also swell is how people piss and moan about these console companies doing the same shit over and over again. At the same time, people shit on anything that might even remotely be construed as innovative or fresh.

I get it. I get it. Slap a Nintendo logo on a PS4 and port some Zelda games. Perfect.

I think he is referring to hardware and it's ecosystem. You don't think the disparity in hardware and features has anything to do with continued market loss? Nintendos only innovations have been with games and controls so those factors shouldn't matter.

oops MS still #3 in weekly sales for current gen hardware. MK 8 is moving up the charts (ytd) and ps4 only sold 30K more units than the Wii U for week ending 6-14

My gf and I played mario kart online against my buddy and his gf last night. I think I had more fun playing that than wildstar. :eek:

Not sure how that's possible. The Wii U is not a major player. No third-party support.

Shit... and here I thought I was having fun all this time too... I guess I just wasn't...

;)

I like your system list in your sig by the way. I have very similar lists, only no Vic20. :D I have a stack of C64s (and C64Cs). Most of them functional. Some for parts and to steal SID chips from for projects.

oops MS still #3 in weekly sales for current gen hardware. MK 8 is moving up the charts (ytd) and ps4 only sold 30K more units than the Wii U for week ending 6-14

If you are going to quote VGChartz numbers you might as well link to them Yue. You seem to be perfectly fine with citing a group of people who only gather 2-3% of retail data guessing and coming up short 99% of the time just to readjust every sales number they release by a significant margin after official NPD, Media Create, Enterbrain, and I believe Chart track (?) in Europe monthly figures are released.

For comparison sake NPD gathers something like 80% (give or take), and is the industry standard in NA. No one who matters looks at VGChartz numbers, not even Nintendo.

EDIT: Not that I don't believe its impossible or something silly, but you have to get the right numbers from verifiable sources. If Nintendo sells over 100k and MS sells under 20k then good on Nintendo. It still wouldn't change the conversation in any meaningful way until July numbers are released.

My gf and I played mario kart online against my buddy and his gf last night. I think I had more fun playing that than wildstar. :eek:

yeah the fact you can do 2 player split screen and online play at the same time is fucking awesome.

Nintendo's software is so hot sometimes.

I wish it would have more features like the PS4, though. You can't play music on a USB drive while playing mario kart? =/

If you are going to quote VGChartz numbers you might as well link to them Yue. You seem to be perfectly fine with citing a group of people who only gather 2-3% of retail data guessing and coming up short 99% of the time just to readjust every sales number they release by a significant margin after official NPD, Media Create, Enterbrain, and I believe Chart track (?) in Europe monthly figures are released.

For comparison sake NPD gathers something like 80% (give or take), and is the industry standard in NA. No one who matters looks at VGChartz numbers, not even Nintendo.

EDIT: Not that I don't believe its impossible or something silly, but you have to get the right numbers from verifiable sources. If Nintendo sells over 100k and MS sells under 20k then good on Nintendo. It still wouldn't change the conversation in any meaningful way until July numbers are released.

blah blah, you think you're right and everyone else is wrong but you KEEP GETTING YOUR ASS HANDED TO YOU....

blah blah, you think you're right and everyone else is wrong but you KEEP GETTING YOUR ASS HANDED TO YOU....

Yep, you showed me.

Edit: Also you assume I believe everyone else is wrong. I'm not in the minority here.

Every time you say such things Yue I ask for pretty much any sort of response and get fingers in the ears with tantrums. Until you can start posting like an adult I'm putting you in Vlads category.

Last edited:
^ you are the minority as you try to discredit everything anyone else says

so explain to me why once the PS4 and XBONE one were released, the Wii U actually saw an INCREASE in sales...

oops

so do us all a favor and quit talking until you actually have some facts to back up your position

you want an example of a console that is done?

PS2
Xbox
Gamecube
Saturn

all of those are no longer supported by their manufacturers... aka done

I love my Wii U and my 6 year old is enjoying Mario like there's no tomorrow. I am happy to pass on a proper video game icon to my son!

I love my Wii U and my 6 year old is enjoying Mario like there's no tomorrow. I am happy to pass on a proper video game icon to my son!

Yep, that's one thing the other consoles do not have. Recognizable characters and franchises that people love beyond just hardcore gamers. And don't try to tell me Master Chief fits this role. :D

People know who Link is. People know who Mario is. Like you said icons. They're synonymous with video games, and there is a reason for that. They're good games that people like to play. I play as many "hardcore" games as the next person here, but I effing LOVE Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Samus, etc.

My kids love these games too, and it makes me happy to see them enjoy something that I did as a kid too. They also play Minecraft, Borderlands and Terraria with me on their PCs, and we have a blast there too. Still though Nintendo games have a different appeal. They're like the Pixar of games in a way. They appeal to a very wide audience. Some people might want to be "ultra cool" and say they're not into them, but they know damned well they are somewhere down inside. :D

Because of this the WiiU is not done. It's just being adopted slowly as these games are released. It's obvious that the fans of each Nintendo franchise pick up the system when the game(s) they're waiting for are released. I did the same thing. I sat and waited until Wind Waker and Super Mario 3D World came out, because those are the games I was waiting for (in addition to some others that are still to come.)

You can cite sales figures all day, but the WiiU is not going anywhere any time soon.

I like my wii U and so does my 4 year old. :)

Yep, that's one thing the other consoles do not have. Recognizable characters and franchises that people love beyond just hardcore gamers. And don't try to tell me Master Chief fits this role. :D

People know who Link is. People know who Mario is. Like you said icons. They're synonymous with video games, and there is a reason for that. They're good games that people like to play. I play as many "hardcore" games as the next person here, but I effing LOVE Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Samus, etc.

My kids love these games too, and it makes me happy to see them enjoy something that I did as a kid too. They also play Minecraft, Borderlands and Terraria with me on their PCs, and we have a blast there too. Still though Nintendo games have a different appeal. They're like the Pixar of games in a way. They appeal to a very wide audience. Some people might want to be "ultra cool" and say they're not into them, but they know damned well they are somewhere down inside. :D

Because of this the WiiU is not done. It's just being adopted slowly as these games are released. It's obvious that the fans of each Nintendo franchise pick up the system when the game(s) they're waiting for are released. I did the same thing. I sat and waited until Wind Waker and Super Mario 3D World came out, because those are the games I was waiting for (in addition to some others that are still to come.)

You can cite sales figures all day, but the WiiU is not going anywhere any time soon.

All three of you don't get it. The Wii U is not a major player. No third-party support. Iwata said so.

<insert chart of console sales from approved sites>

Those of you with children who have not purchased them a PS4 should be ashamed. The PS4 has broken sales records. You owe it to your children to buy them a major player.

I just picked up the Mario/Luigi Wii U bundle from Wal-Mart this morning on my way to work (they price-matched the Target sale price for $275), and then got in on the 3-for-2 deal at Target with Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and Mario Kart 8. Can't wait to get home and start digging in tonight!

Also looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X (I loved the absolute living hell out of the first one) and the next Zelda game as well.

Sadly, according to this thread, this makes me an apologist at best, and a white knight at worst.

I know! We're all wrong! I hate being wrong all the time...

@Eradan... I still suck as a parent... I got my son an XBOne for xmas because PS4s weren't available. So we STILL don't have a major player in the house... Shit...

On a more serious note, when it's game time at my house, there isn't anyone who isn't having EXACTLY the fun they're looking for. I just have to be sure to kick the kids out into the yard to get some outdoor play too. :D

I just picked up the Mario/Luigi Wii U bundle from Wal-Mart this morning on my way to work (they price-matched the Target sale price for $275), and then got in on the 3-for-2 deal at Target with Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and Mario Kart 8. Can't wait to get home and start digging in tonight!

Also looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X (I loved the absolute living hell out of the first one) and the next Zelda game as well.

Sadly, according to this thread, this makes me an apologist at best, and a white knight at worst.

Damn good deal. 6-7 games and a console for just under $400?

I think the term you're looking for is "shovel knight". :p

I know! We're all wrong! I hate being wrong all the time...

@Eradan... I still suck as a parent... I got my son an XBOne for xmas because PS4s weren't available. So we STILL don't have a major player in the house... Shit...

On a more serious note, when it's game time at my house, there isn't anyone who isn't having EXACTLY the fun they're looking for. I just have to be sure to kick the kids out into the yard to get some outdoor play too. :D

Reporting you to Childrens Services for the XBOne purchase. Shameful. ;)

BTW...thanks for the nod to the Commodore stuff in my sig. Those were the good old days. Brings a tear to my eye.

Yep, you showed me.

Edit: Also you assume I believe everyone else is wrong. I'm not in the minority here.

Every time you say such things Yue I ask for pretty much any sort of response and get fingers in the ears with tantrums. Until you can start posting like an adult I'm putting you in Vlads category.

It seems you mistake persistence with being right and in the majority. Sure you have more persistence in posting about something you are wrong about but like a Scientologist preaching his nonsense loudly and proudly it doesn't make you right.

I played my Wii U yesterday, it connected online to Nintendo's network and it appears to still be supported by Nintendo.. Nintendo also has titles scheduled to be released after today. So yes, the Wii U isn't done, it's still alive.

And to be honest, I found Nintendo's E3 announcements to be far more exciting than Microsoft and Sony's. I can't see into the future but I think the Wii U still has some life left.

I played my Wii U yesterday, it connected online to Nintendo's network and it appears to still be supported by Nintendo.. Nintendo also has titles scheduled to be released after today. So yes, the Wii U isn't done, it's still alive.

And to be honest, I found Nintendo's E3 announcements to be far more exciting than Microsoft and Sony's. I can't see into the future but I think the Wii U still has some life left.

That's not the point. It's not a major player. No third party support.

Yeah, they won E3 but you can't play FIFA on a Wii U. See above and calm down.

Edit: forgot to add, Iwata said so.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back