The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Orinthical, Sep 30, 2007.

1. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Linksys E8400 works, but for the price it's not very competitive.

Cons:
    Expensive with no MIMO support. About $20 more gets you MIMO and downloadble apps.
    Needs reboot it about once a month.
    UI is old and kludgy.

Pros:
    Performance & Range (NON MIMO) is acceptable. 700 mbps on 5Ghz/300mbps on 2.4Ghz
    Easy to setup
    Bridge mode with my other linksys router worked flawlessly. Although there is considerable lag.

Why do I stick with linksys? Because my router is 5 years old and runs like a champ. It still get firmware updates for security flaws even though it's well past EOL. (Although these updates are few and far between).

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Dont. Extenders have their own problems and dont work as well as expected in a lot of situations. Try a netgear Powerline adapter and use that to hook up an access point close to where you need it.

SticKx911 likes this.
  3. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar n00bie

I have a TP-LINK TL-WR841N router, with 100mbps WAN and LAN ports. So far I am using it with 50mbps internet connection and it is able to provide full 50mbps speed through LAN and WiFi. Now I am planning to upgrade my internet connection to 100mbps and I am wondering, whether it would actually be able to deliver the full bandwidth or prove to be a bottleneck?

4. Edgar

Edgar 2[H]4U

You probably will bottleneck every now and then. Because with 100mb you can sometimes have speed that surpass 100mb. Gigabit is standard now on every router. Why not buy a new router? You can find a cheap one that has gigabit and probably decent wifi.

5. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

We have no choice, we get given Tilgin HG 2302's and that's it. no options to change

6. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar n00bie

Because I bought this router in Jan, when I upgraded from 16mbps DSL to 20mbps connection. Frankly speaking, I have no use for 100mbps. Just thinking of trying it out, because it is only US$4 more and I can change me internet speed each month thanks to prepaid plan.

7. Edgar

Edgar 2[H]4U

I meant so your internal network can be on gigabit. It makes a huge difference especially if you have more than one computer on the same network.

8. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar n00bie

I have one desktop that is connected through LAN, no NAS and rest of the devices are connected through Wi-Fi. So it is sort of hard to come with a justification for a new router so soon.

9. SpaceFlotsam

SpaceFlotsam n00bie

For a secure home router (think not easy to hack and bot), try the PepWave Surf Soho.

Review

Pros:
    Frequent firmware updates (unlike most every consumer router out there that very rarely gets firmware updates or security updates)
    Ability to store two firmware versions and toggle between them
    Easy interface, with advanced networking features for the so-inclined
    Solid speed results (not the fastest, but will fit needs for vast majority of people)
    Antennas easily upgraded
    Multiple vlan capability allows for segregating IOT and computer networks from each other
    Abilty to create guest network allowing Internet only access, and walled off from internal networks
    Supports VPN connections (great if you want to VPN back to a home server)
    No WPS support (much more secure WiFi authentication)
    Commitment to supporting the customers, robust support forums
    Network usage reporting and site control features, includes rate limiting features
    Use hotspot/LGE devices as network failover backup (in case your cable/FTH connection fails)

Cons:
    Will only work on 2.4 or 5Ghz at a time, cannot handle both frequencies simultaneously
    3 antennas makes upgrading these a bit more costly than some other models
    Occasionally have to reset as router connections will stall (not a big issue - reboot needed about once per 2-3 months)
    No WPS Support (not as user friendly for certain people - requires web console configuration during install)
    Rate limiting generic across devices, cannot specifically limit bandwidth per device or group configuration
    No USB file/printer sharing
    Relatively expensive - security comes with a price!

Cerulean likes this.
  10. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

EVIL-SCOTSMAN [H]ardness Supreme

My rt ac3200 is dieing so I have just bought an asus ac5300 but I am sick of only getting two years out of wifi routers before they start to have problems.

It really is begining to annoy me, I have had consumer and business routers previously and for some weird reason 2-3 years always happens to be their lifespan.

11. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

Dirty electrical maybe?

12. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Nope. None of them want to put the 50 cents worth of aluminum heat sinks on the amp chips and a fan on the CPU. Only the super high end ones do that ($500+). And they do get hot.

You can go to small net builder and see how they are built.

13. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

My rt3200 is chugging along, Merlin firmware FTW!

14. SticKx911

SticKx911 [H]ard|Gawd

Never really noticed how my wrt 1200 sits at 1% load but somehow manages 72°C.
    That’s insane. If I somehow found a way to actually tax it, or if it was an outdoor ap, it’d be dead in no time. Time to put some heat sinks in it.

15. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

Thats exactly what I think, thats why I bought a laptop cooler and the router sits on that and it blows air right into the bottom vents of the 3200.

I got it working again after much trial and error, but now I have a ac5300 arriving tomorrow, so i dunno what am gunna do with that. I will probably use the 5300 as the main router and use the 3200 as an access point upstairs, hopefully if I can put it in a good spot I will get wifi indoors and outdoors, its either that or i tell the amazon delivery dude to Foff when he tries to deliver it.

16. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

My one sits at a constant 58-60oC, summertime or winter time its always either 58oc or 60oc, always, i think its lieing.