The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Orinthical, Sep 30, 2007.

1. NIZMOZ

NIZMOZ [H]ard|Gawd

2. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

Damnit, it is Gb/s, I just checked. Omy, thought it was 1GB/s. Sux.
    Ia8erre.jpg

3. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

My bad guys, that one slipped past me.

4. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

In a few months while in the months I am going to save for a pfsense box.

5. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

ROFL! You really didn't think you were getting 1GB aka 10Gb/s connection for 89 bucks did you? You did make my day though lol! May be we see that in the next 20 years.

Makaveli@BETA and Hitti2 like this.
  6. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

Never had fios, came from dialup>cable>fios. I thought fios was godlike, how dissappointing this is. Boring 125MB/s.

7. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

its actually not that bad. Makes a big difference when you are downloading games and such. I have AT&T gigabpower. Shit is rock solid and I have not had an outage in 3 years, with comcast it was like every 3 months, pretty much comes with the pacakge lol. Best thing is downloading games. It really is like 4-5 times faster.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  8. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

My heart bleeds for you as I pay $110 for 12-15 MB/s on cable. DSL is only competitor at $40 for 2 MB/s.

9. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

That is insane speed man compared to cable I bet. Its like more than trippling your download speed no? Thats assuming you had 400Mbps download link when you had cable. Even that will fluctuate durin peek hours.

10. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

The reason I'm like meh is cuz I was expecting 1GB/s. I feel that we are so behind on data communication technology that is sad. 1GB/s seems more realistic, if businesses can have it, why not residential?

Sure back in 2004 going from dialup to cable was exciting but this is 2018 almost 2019 and not whole lot of residential homes have even cable.

I just think we should be far more forward with data communications than where we are now making 125MB/s puny.

11. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

Call and negotiate. Start with telling you're going to cancel. Typically, you can regularly lower your subscription costs like this. Works for ISP, cell provider, insurance company, etc... $110 for cable internet is unacceptable!

Hitti2 likes this.
  12. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

Agreed i'm paying $24.99 for a 500/20 connection by doing just this.

FNtastic likes this.
  13. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

PC & smartphone maxed out: In a month or so, time to save for a PFSense box.
    bd19Jr4.png
    EkXbdAG.png

14. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

Re: pfsense. You know about pcengines.ch right? apu2 is fantastic hardware at a reasonable price point. And, their support is unmatched from my experience (save for monthly subscription services)

15. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

I never heard of pcengines.ch .

16. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

Worth every penny

17. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

18. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

While I like what PCEngines is doing, I wish that they'd ship something more powerful like this.

The aging AMD tablet SoC that they're using just isn't going to handle gigabit speeds let alone the diversified featuresets available with something like PFSense such as IPS. The i5 in the linked computer (available from various brands) will chew through that stuff for not much more.

Of course, if all you're looking for is a decent fire-and-forget consumer router, I'd go back to looking at ASUS/Netgear/etc. Something to be said about using the right tool for the job.

19. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

They're releasing their apu4 soon. Not sure what chip it will have as I haven't had much time to do research on it. The box you linked is also quite a bit more expensive. $$$

Honest question. My apu2 is quad core. How is the box you linked better? I've never even been close to using up my CPU, even with https IPS turned on.

20. IdiotInCharge

Sure, but if we're talking gigabit NAT with services, it might be needed- and that's just an example. Also, the APU4 has the same APU they've been using. AMD has faster versions of that APU, but these are limited to 1GHz.

Well, it's four Jaguar cores- which are tablet x86 cores- at 1GHz. The one I linked will be many times faster, both in total performance and in single-thread performance which tends to affect some routing functions.

FNtastic likes this.
  21. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the additional information. Mine is probably a bit overpowered for the regular user. And, is probably about "right" for what I need. If I had more users or maybe gigabit, I might consider spending the extra money on more powerful hardware. I'll definitely keep it in mind when that time comes

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  22. IdiotInCharge

My Edgerouter4 can handle 1Gbps NAT- and that's it, really. For that purpose it's a solid piece of kit but I'd need something better for IPS etc., so I'm using a J3160-based appliance. I do wish that I'd grabbed an i5-based one though, as that would be perfect both for running the basic routing stuff and for stacking a few other things.

FNtastic likes this.
  23. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

24. tunatime

tunatime 2[H]4U

My not even 2 year old Asus RT-AC3100 is starting to die on the wifi side. ImI getting tired of buying new routers every year 2. What is a good router that gives very good range/ coverage and last more then a year?

25. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

26. tunatime

tunatime 2[H]4U

I never thought of uesing something like that before. I see they come in the light, lr, and pro ones are any of them more powerful/ better for slightly longer ranges? I have always had poor wifi for my reef tank where a router in the office is hit or miss. But with something like this i could run a cable and probably move it on to the ceiling in the hallway like a smoke alarm?

27. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Gawd

I like the Pro, and use one myself. I feel it's probably the best balance between cost and features. Works great for a modestly-sized house. The long-range (LR), I feel, is really intended for large, wide-open spaces without obstructions/walls (e.g., a warehouse, auditorium) and not really best for a home. The Lite is OK, but offers less bandwidth than the Pro. The HD is pretty expensive IIRC.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/
    https://arstechnica.com/information...flecting-on-almost-three-years-with-pro-gear/

IdiotInCharge and FNtastic like this.
  28. HammerSandwich

HammerSandwich [H]ard|Gawd

I'd generally prefer 2x Lites over 1x Pro, both for better coverage & also to spread the load.

29. tunatime

tunatime 2[H]4U

What do yall think of the nano hd? Also could i plug an ap into my existing router for right now?

Also my house is only 1200sqft and i think one ap in the hallway will cover everything nicely? Everything but the kitchen and my bathroom is one sheet rock wall away from the hallway.

30. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Gawd

Well,
    • Based on the chart here, relative to the Pro the NanoHD has less bandwidth on 2.4 GHz but more on 5 GHz. Your mix of wireless devices and usage would determine which is the better option.
    • The nanoHD also supports MU-MIMO, but unless you have a lot of supported devices constantly pulling moderate-to-heavy data from the AP (i.e., more than the occasional check-in for messages, etc.), that probably won't matter for much.
    • The NanoHD's Tx power is a hair stronger than the Pro's, but the Pro's 5 GHz antenna geometry (6 dBi vs 3) means that its coverage in that band will be flatter and extend out farther horizontally (i.e., less of a sphere).
    • The NanoHD does cost ~$30-40 more than the Pro. It appears that it's still possible to get either packaged with the needed (if you don't have a PoE switch) power injector.
    My place isn't too much bigger than yours, and a single Pro in a central room (upside-down on a high shelf, not even properly mounted to the ceiling) easily reaches the whole house and into the yards.

Using either with your existing router is fine. Just turn off the router's wireless. It doesn't appear that you'd see any real benefit from trying to run both the router's AP and a separate one simultaneously.

31. HammerSandwich

HammerSandwich [H]ard|Gawd

Try a single EAP225v3 in your central hall.

32. tunatime

tunatime 2[H]4U

That site is very informative, lots of good info. i have out grown the need for the fastest thing ever and just want something that will last yearsy

33. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

SmalllNetBuilder, Servethehome (https://www.servethehome.com/) and dslreports.com are my preferred sites for basic networking info and help.

34. sh0rty

sh0rty [H]ard|Gawd

fed up with the disconnects of my Netgear X10 R9000,,,back to R7000...recommendations for upgrade?

35. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

I would blur out that ip address in the screenshot!

36. sh0rty

sh0rty [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for feedback...I will check it out, but would rather a one stop shop verses running lines abound the house. The range of the X10 R9000 was good, but still even after second one getting frequent wifi drops.

37. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

I have the ASUS GT AC5300. Been running solid. First one did have the 2nd 5GHz band go out but I had it replaced. Router it self has been rock solid though, no disconnections.

38. sh0rty

sh0rty [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for reply...will check it out.

39. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Yea I can have multiple streams without any issues. My house is 2 stories 2400 sqft but even though its not spread out tbut here are a lot of walls it has to go through to reach the other edge. Especially upstairs. Tried alot of routers but this was the only one that gave me acceptable speed on 5ghz in the furthest corner. My router is in the front room. if you can place it in the center, even better.

40. sh0rty

sh0rty [H]ard|Gawd

I am also running a server so the aggregation is something that I am looking for that as well. I see this one has what I am looking for. I do like the Netgear family as well too though...lol