The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

The reason I'm like meh is cuz I was expecting 1GB/s. I feel that we are so behind on data communication technology that is sad. 1GB/s seems more realistic, if businesses can have it, why not residential?

Sure back in 2004 going from dialup to cable was exciting but this is 2018 almost 2019 and not whole lot of residential homes have even cable.

I just think we should be far more forward with data communications than where we are now making 125MB/s puny.

My heart bleeds for you as I pay $110 for 12-15 MB/s on cable. DSL is only competitor at $40 for 2 MB/s.
Call and negotiate. Start with telling you're going to cancel. Typically, you can regularly lower your subscription costs like this. Works for ISP, cell provider, insurance company, etc... $110 for cable internet is unacceptable!

Call and negotiate. Start with telling you're going to cancel. Typically, you can regularly lower your subscription costs like this. Works for ISP, cell provider, insurance company, etc... $110 for cable internet is unacceptable!

Agreed i'm paying $24.99 for a 500/20 connection by doing just this.

PC & smartphone maxed out: In a month or so, time to save for a PFSense box.
bd19Jr4.png

EkXbdAG.png

While I like what PCEngines is doing, I wish that they'd ship something more powerful like this.

The aging AMD tablet SoC that they're using just isn't going to handle gigabit speeds let alone the diversified featuresets available with something like PFSense such as IPS. The i5 in the linked computer (available from various brands) will chew through that stuff for not much more.

Of course, if all you're looking for is a decent fire-and-forget consumer router, I'd go back to looking at ASUS/Netgear/etc. Something to be said about using the right tool for the job.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
While I like what PCEngines is doing, I wish that they'd ship something more powerful like this.

The aging AMD tablet SoC that they're using just isn't going to handle gigabit speeds let alone the diversified featuresets available with something like PFSense such as IPS. The i5 in the linked computer (available from various brands) will chew through that stuff for not much more.

Of course, if all you're looking for is a decent fire-and-forget consumer router, I'd go back to looking at ASUS/Netgear/etc. Something to be said about using the right tool for the job.
They're releasing their apu4 soon. Not sure what chip it will have as I haven't had much time to do research on it. The box you linked is also quite a bit more expensive. $$$

Honest question. My apu2 is quad core. How is the box you linked better? I've never even been close to using up my CPU, even with https IPS turned on.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They're releasing their apu4 soon. Not sure what chip it will have as I haven't had much time to do research on it. The box you linked is also quite a bit more expensive. $$$

Sure, but if we're talking gigabit NAT with services, it might be needed- and that's just an example. Also, the APU4 has the same APU they've been using. AMD has faster versions of that APU, but these are limited to 1GHz.

Honest question. My apu2 is quad core. How is the box you linked better? I've never even been close to using up my CPU, even with https IPS turned on.

Well, it's four Jaguar cores- which are tablet x86 cores- at 1GHz. The one I linked will be many times faster, both in total performance and in single-thread performance which tends to affect some routing functions.

Sure, but if we're talking gigabit NAT with services, it might be needed- and that's just an example. Also, the APU4 has the same APU they've been using. AMD has faster versions of that APU, but these are limited to 1GHz.

Well, it's four Jaguar cores- which are tablet x86 cores- at 1GHz. The one I linked will be many times faster, both in total performance and in single-thread performance which tends to affect some routing functions.
Thanks for the additional information. Mine is probably a bit overpowered for the regular user. And, is probably about "right" for what I need. If I had more users or maybe gigabit, I might consider spending the extra money on more powerful hardware. I'll definitely keep it in mind when that time comes

Thanks for the additional information. Mine is probably a bit overpowered for the regular user. And, is probably about "right" for what I need. If I had more users or maybe gigabit, I might consider spending the extra money on more powerful hardware. I'll definitely keep it in mind when that time comes

My Edgerouter4 can handle 1Gbps NAT- and that's it, really. For that purpose it's a solid piece of kit but I'd need something better for IPS etc., so I'm using a J3160-based appliance. I do wish that I'd grabbed an i5-based one though, as that would be perfect both for running the basic routing stuff and for stacking a few other things.

My not even 2 year old Asus RT-AC3100 is starting to die on the wifi side. ImI getting tired of buying new routers every year 2. What is a good router that gives very good range/ coverage and last more then a year?

I never thought of uesing something like that before. I see they come in the light, lr, and pro ones are any of them more powerful/ better for slightly longer ranges? I have always had poor wifi for my reef tank where a router in the office is hit or miss. But with something like this i could run a cable and probably move it on to the ceiling in the hallway like a smoke alarm?

I like the Pro, and use one myself. I feel it's probably the best balance between cost and features. Works great for a modestly-sized house. The long-range (LR), I feel, is really intended for large, wide-open spaces without obstructions/walls (e.g., a warehouse, auditorium) and not really best for a home. The Lite is OK, but offers less bandwidth than the Pro. The HD is pretty expensive IIRC.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/
https://arstechnica.com/information...flecting-on-almost-three-years-with-pro-gear/

What do yall think of the nano hd? Also could i plug an ap into my existing router for right now?

Also my house is only 1200sqft and i think one ap in the hallway will cover everything nicely? Everything but the kitchen and my bathroom is one sheet rock wall away from the hallway.

What do yall think of the nano hd? Also could i plug an ap into my existing router for right now?

Also my house is only 1200sqft and i think one ap in the hallway will cover everything nicely? Everything but the kitchen and my bathroom is one sheet rock wall away from the hallway.

Well,
  • Based on the chart here, relative to the Pro the NanoHD has less bandwidth on 2.4 GHz but more on 5 GHz. Your mix of wireless devices and usage would determine which is the better option.
  • The nanoHD also supports MU-MIMO, but unless you have a lot of supported devices constantly pulling moderate-to-heavy data from the AP (i.e., more than the occasional check-in for messages, etc.), that probably won't matter for much.
  • The NanoHD's Tx power is a hair stronger than the Pro's, but the Pro's 5 GHz antenna geometry (6 dBi vs 3) means that its coverage in that band will be flatter and extend out farther horizontally (i.e., less of a sphere).
  • The NanoHD does cost ~$30-40 more than the Pro. It appears that it's still possible to get either packaged with the needed (if you don't have a PoE switch) power injector.
My place isn't too much bigger than yours, and a single Pro in a central room (upside-down on a high shelf, not even properly mounted to the ceiling) easily reaches the whole house and into the yards.

Using either with your existing router is fine. Just turn off the router's wireless. It doesn't appear that you'd see any real benefit from trying to run both the router's AP and a separate one simultaneously.

fed up with the disconnects of my Netgear X10 R9000,,,back to R7000...recommendations for upgrade?

Get a few unfi ap and an edrouter. I went with two nano hd and and edge router 12 as it can act like a router and switch. View attachment 140955this is off my phone I get close to my line speed anywhere in my house.
Thanks for feedback...I will check it out, but would rather a one stop shop verses running lines abound the house. The range of the X10 R9000 was good, but still even after second one getting frequent wifi drops.

Thanks for feedback...I will check it out, but would rather a one stop shop verses running lines abound the house. The range of the X10 R9000 was good, but still even after second one getting frequent wifi drops.

I have the ASUS GT AC5300. Been running solid. First one did have the 2nd 5GHz band go out but I had it replaced. Router it self has been rock solid though, no disconnections.

I have the ASUS GT AC5300. Been running solid. First one did have the 2nd 5GHz band go out but I had it replaced. Router it self has been rock solid though, no disconnections.
Thanks for reply...will check it out.

Thanks for reply...will check it out.

Yea I can have multiple streams without any issues. My house is 2 stories 2400 sqft but even though its not spread out tbut here are a lot of walls it has to go through to reach the other edge. Especially upstairs. Tried alot of routers but this was the only one that gave me acceptable speed on 5ghz in the furthest corner. My router is in the front room. if you can place it in the center, even better.

Yea I can have multiple streams without any issues. My house is 2 stories 2400 sqft but even though its not spread out tbut here are a lot of walls it has to go through to reach the other edge. Especially upstairs. Tried alot of routers but this was the only one that gave me acceptable speed on 5ghz in the furthest corner. My router is in the front room. if you can place it in the center, even better.
I am also running a server so the aggregation is something that I am looking for that as well. I see this one has what I am looking for. I do like the Netgear family as well too though...lol

I am also running a server so the aggregation is something that I am looking for that as well. I see this one has what I am looking for. I do like the Netgear family as well too though...lol

I have Readynas 4 bay as well as a 4TB WD USB drive hooked up to the router via USB with DLNA feature enabled. My samsung TV sees it and it plays anythng off it without a hitch. Its a really solid router. Wouldn't hurt to try it. I honestly was surprised how well it streamed off the USB drive.

I was all Netgear before and tried their new top of the line gaming router XR700 but wireless signal was no match with the GT AC5300. It literally destroyed the netgear in signal quality. Not to mention it has 8 LAN ports and you can configure another LAN port as backup WAN.

I need help choosing the best router for my setup. Right now I'm running a half-assed solution because I live in a 120yr old brick building and can't wire my house well for ethernet.

So what I'm currently doing is:

FIOS Gigabit in the closet- right outside the closet:

Asus AC68U for wifi and wired to Microtik Wireless wire host to client on the other side of the living room to switch wired to entertainment center/NAS (in closet on other side of wall).

In bedroom I have a Linksys wrt3200acm in bridge mode. Yes I know the Linksys is supposedly the better of the two routers but it's actually crap for wifi and only good as a bridge.

I have a lot of wifi AC devices in my condo, so I'm wondering if I would benefit from buying a really good Tri-Band router, or could I get away with the AC86U or 88AX? I really like the WRT-Merlin firmware, been rock solid. The 68U has been the best router I've ever owned.

My condo is one floor, approx 900sq ft, but as I said, converted brick school building. When I moved in I had to change cell carriers because I keep losing reception as I walked in towards my bedroom.

I need help choosing the best router for my setup. Right now I'm running a half-assed solution because I live in a 120yr old brick building and can't wire my house well for ethernet.

So what I'm currently doing is:

FIOS Gigabit in the closet- right outside the closet:

Asus AC68U for wifi and wired to Microtik Wireless wire host to client on the other side of the living room to switch wired to entertainment center/NAS (in closet on other side of wall).

In bedroom I have a Linksys wrt3200acm in bridge mode. Yes I know the Linksys is supposedly the better of the two routers but it's actually crap for wifi and only good as a bridge.

I have a lot of wifi AC devices in my condo, so I'm wondering if I would benefit from buying a really good Tri-Band router, or could I get away with the AC86U or 88AX? I really like the WRT-Merlin firmware, been rock solid. The 68U has been the best router I've ever owned.

My condo is one floor, approx 900sq ft, but as I said, converted brick school building. When I moved in I had to change cell carriers because I keep losing reception as I walked in towards my bedroom.
Unifi AP. I moved from an Asus AC router as well. That thing treated me really well. But, there is a noticeable difference in all aspects improving.

Unifi AP. I moved from an Asus AC router as well. That thing treated me really well. But, there is a noticeable difference in all aspects improving.
I need something that handles a VPN well. The AC68 is too slow.

I need something that handles a VPN well. The AC68 is too slow.
You can go as cheap as an edgerouter X (won't get 1gbps over vpn) or as pricey as enterprise gear. Read this as a starting point:
https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-what-router-should-i-get.1965547/
There are plenty of guides on configuring the edgerouter X to use openvpn server. Just remember it's going to be via command line for that specific feature.
Next, consider pfsense if you want to get full gigabit over vpn (or another firewall that can run on more powerful hardware). Negate sells really nice hardware. And, you can even repurpose old hardware as a pfsense box. Or, buy brand new hardware to run it on.

You can go as cheap as an edgerouter X (won't get 1gbps over vpn) or as pricey as enterprise gear. Read this as a starting point:
https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-what-router-should-i-get.1965547/
There are plenty of guides on configuring the edgerouter X to use openvpn server. Just remember it's going to be via command line for that specific feature.
Next, consider pfsense if you want to get full gigabit over vpn (or another firewall that can run on more powerful hardware). Negate sells really nice hardware. And, you can even repurpose old hardware as a pfsense box. Or, buy brand new hardware to run it on.
The Merlin wrt firmware is great in the way it handles vpns. Makes it very easy to turn on and off remotely, that's why I was thinking another Asus router would be a good choice.

You can toss WRT into a VM if you like, but if your biggest issue is building a VPN endpoint then you might consider running it somewhere other than on the edge as a function of a router? It is, after all, just a piece of software.

You can toss WRT into a VM if you like, but if your biggest issue is building a VPN endpoint then you might consider running it somewhere other than on the edge as a function of a router? It is, after all, just a piece of software.
VPN is not my main concern. I basically just use it to watch Netflix in other regions so WRT is convenient for that. I want an easy way of setting up my home network.

VPN is not my main concern. I basically just use it to watch Netflix in other regions so WRT is convenient for that. I want an easy way of setting up my home network.
You don't need a VPN server then. You want the client. You can also do that with an edgerouter X and send the traffic from only one device (or multiple devices) over the VPN connection. There's no easy toggle switch for it though. It would require you to login via SSH and issue a command. I haven't looked into it much more than that, as that's always been as far as I needed to go. But, I'm sure there are other things that could make toggling it easier.

Back