The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Orinthical, Sep 30, 2007.

1. corax

corax n00bie

Hello,

I was kinda intrested in any recommendations for a router+firewall.
    I think firewall would be sophos UTM home edition because i have experience with those.
    But my connection is 100/100 and the router need to have vlan support + PPPoE support.

What i think :
    Edgerouter POE ( because lite only has 3 ports and i need to have 1 box at that place )
    linksys wrt1900ac ( not sure about this yet )

Let me know if you have any other ideas thanks!!!

2. spencers

spencers Gawd

Woot!

Got my two UAP-AC-Pro's from Unifying Solutions!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. Xaeos

Xaeos [H]ardness Supreme

Thought you guys may like to take a look at this - https://omnia.turris.cz/en/ - its a new router based on being open source (OpenWRT base), expandable, and overall looks like a pretty nice SOHO router platform. Some of its more notable features include a SFP port (nice for those on Fiber), a built in cryptography chip, 3 mPCI-Express (one of which can be used as mSATA), pin headers for all kinds of things, a SIM card slot, and more! Currently it is funding through IndieGoGo and they've met their requirement...with more than 45 days still to go! There will be multiple versions for sale, including just the plain bare board in case you want to create your own enclosure, pick antennas and other components etc.

There are still a few things we don't know, such as the exact miniPCI models that are powering the wireless (though we know they're 3x3 and very likely Atheros 802.11AC powered). I am hoping they'll get back to me to see if they can compete with the latest models from Asus and the like in terms of supporting MU-MIMO and other features if there is enough funding. Still, looks rather promising for those who are looking for a high end SOHO router that is open and capable of much more than the average kit.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  4. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

Prepare to bashed by the UBNT mob ;-)

5. morpheus6d9

morpheus6d9 [H]ard|Gawd

not bad i need to keep an eye out for that

6. spincut

spincut [H]ard|Gawd

Seems like not much new has come out in the AC router department that people like overall better than the likes of, say, the Asus 68/66u? Or has that changed at this rate? I know we've had a generation or two for stuff to mature since. Has anything solidified since that's newer that has caught peoples eyes from the big makers?

I keep looking at Netgear/D-link/Linksys/Asus's stuff but they keep seeming to need more time.

7. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

Even Smallnetbuilder is saying that the newest routers are pushing features that you really can not practically use.

Its not that the new models are bad, it's just that they arn't shipping with anything new and useful working.

Client end support just doesn't exist for 4x4 spatial streams and even working Mu-MIMO support is as rare as hen's teeth.

I'm guessing this is the 18 month lull before the storm of 802.11ad's release.

I'd like to see better QOS, 2.5Gbs or 5Gbs network ports and maybe IDS between now and then.

We'll see...

8. morpheus6d9

morpheus6d9 [H]ard|Gawd

If you were to upgrade your wireless router, which one would you buy right now ?

9. ob1

ob1 2[H]4U

If money were no object, I would try the X8 from Netgear. If money were kind of an object, I would go with a 200 dollar Asus and if money was a real concern and tight, I would go with the TP Link C9 or C7 or something like that.

10. Mike211

Mike211 [H]ard|Gawd

My New ASUS RT-AC5300
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Holy crap.

12. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

Wow, I just cant even. I think I might get one now that I know it exist. My nighthawk is great but I have dead zones in my house.

13. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

14. DragonQ

DragonQ Limp Gawd

Does anyone here use a TP-Link router? I recently bought a TP-Link Archer VR900, which is working great with my VDSL2 connection and it's nice to finally have a decent WiFi connection. I am trying to use the Bandwidth Control feature to basically ensure no single device saturates the connection if others want to use it (e.g. PC 1 downloading a Steam game and PC 2 trying to browse websites). However, I don't want to simply set aside 1 Mb/s per device, because if only one device wants to use bandwidth it should be able to use all of it (e.g. PC 1 downloading overnight with all other devices idle). I played around with it but couldn't get it to work like that. Is it possible?

I also got to the point where I couldn't get faster than 60 Mb/s on a 78 Mb/s connection after playing with the Bandwidth Control settings, even though I had all of my rules disabled. I had to fully disable Bandwidth Control for my download speed to return to normal, which suggests it's bugged in some way. :eek:

15. refraxion

refraxion [H]ardForum Junkie

Is there a big difference between ASUS RT-AC88U and the ASUS RT-AC5300? Both seem to be exactly the same with a few less features here and there (Less ethernet ports on 5300, but an extra 5ghz band).

How is throughput of your router Mike211?

Also, in this day and age is the Netgear R7000 too old now for me to get? What if I want to use it for DLNA? How good is it for streaming content?

16. Brules

Brules Gawd

Just looking at that makes me feel like I am going to get cancer lol

lord_farfig likes this.
  17. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

Would love answers to these as well, eyeing the AC88U and AC5300. Use wifi more than wired, so think I will be going with the 5300 and its dedicated 5GHz band for my gaming PC.

18. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

What client cards are you going to use, unless you have the same standard it's going to be useless...

19. mda

mda [H]ard|Gawd

^ Adding questions to the conversation on the AC88U and the AC5300,

Throwing in these models as well, with my primary consideration being range. I just need to fill in blind spots around the house. My current repeater is conking out, and is repeating the signal from this monster. I'd rather an access point rather than a repeater, but no choice in this case, and our house power are on different circuits so a powerline adapter is out as well. Bandwidth is not much a concern since the internet sucks in my country.

1. AC55UHP - seems to be a lower model AC55 with higher powered antennas tacked on. Doesn't seem to be available in the USA but we have this in our country.

2. RT-AC68U

3. RT-66U

4. RT-87U

I've read that these new AC routers don't really bring much better range, so I'm looking at the first model with the 7dbi antennas in the hope this will be better.

Any thoughts?

20. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

All a higher db gain antenna will do is decrease radiated power and sensitivity in some direction for an increase in another. Typically less vertical sensitivity and more horizontal.

The argument is something along the lines of you have to go through more walls horizontally than vertically. So it makes perfect sense to use a 5-7db gain omni antenna.

21. morpheus6d9

morpheus6d9 [H]ard|Gawd

22. Tup3x

Tup3x [H]ard|Gawd

Does anyone know when we'll see more LTE-A modems? The only decent one I know is Huawei E5186 but it has so dumbed down settings that I'd rather not upgrade to it from Huawei B593u. Also it wouldn't hurt to have external WiFi antennae. ASUS 4G-AC55U would be rather sweet BUT it only has LTE Cat. 4 support. It's not a massive deal breaker but Cat. 6 networks are coming fast so ASUS 4G-AC55U doesn't feel like that great buy.

23. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

can anyone give me a recommendation on a decent router...I'm switching ISP's and I want to get my own router as I hear bad things about the one they provide (Arris Touchstone DG1670)...not a crazy expensive one with all the bells and whistles but just a solid performing one with excellent range...I have my TV, Blu-ray player and PS4 which I need to connect to the Gigabit ports and I have like 4 wireless devices (laptops, smartphones)...last time I used my own router was 5 years ago when I used the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router which I liked

24. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Personally I prefer keeping my router/firewall separate from my wireless access point, but that's just me...

25. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

polonyc2
    Can you bridge your ISPs modem at all?

26. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

yes, that's what I was looking to do with the separate router

27. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

If stability is prio #1, TP-Link TL-WDR3600/4300 using OpenWRT (trunk or 15.05.1) if you want it to be "future proof" in terms of software.
    If you can live with somewhat unstable WIFI (at least for now), have a look at something that uses Mediatek MT7621 SoC (avoid the WiTi board however). D-Link DIR-860L (rev B1 only!), Buffalo WSR-1166 might be of interest. OpenWRT (trunk)
    If you want better raw (processing) performance, go for a QCA IPQ806x based platform. TP-Link AC2600 (vendor/OpenWRT), Netgear R7500v2 (vendor for now) or R7800 (vendor for now).

I'd avoid Marvell and Broadcom WIFI based units like the plauge esp if you want to run 3rd party software in the end.

There's quite a bit difference in performance between these platforms which might be worth considering if you want to use VPN etc later on.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    J Macker and polonyc2 like this.
  28. wicked_chicken

wicked_chicken Limp Gawd

Hello [H]ard,

I've got an Asus RT-AC66U that I believe to be on it's last legs. Performance over my home network is now such that I can no longer stream Plex from my server to devices without Plex telling me my network is insufficient.

This is the second RT-AC66U I've had die. I have reset and reinstalled the Merlin firmware with no improvement, and am ready to call it quits.

I live in a 2 story townhouse. The router resides downstairs in the living room, and my office is upstairs at the opposite end of the unit. I am aware this is not realistic, but it's not my place and I'm not investing my time or effort to improve the unit for my shitbag landlords by running wire.

I would like to get something current, DDWRT compatible, that can handle PIA encryption at the router level rather than install it across devices. Any recommendations would be fantastic.

Thank you.

29. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

DD-WRT is a dinosaur of a steaming turd... I'll give that that it was a viable suggestion 7+ years ago, but time has long past it by.

Read the posts in this thread. Go OpenWRT with a TP-Link device if you want soemthing DD-WRT-like.

In the meantime....load up your ASUS RT-AC66U with Merlin firmware before you do. Looks very similar to the factory firmware, but is significantly better under the hood.

30. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

You want to use LEDE (which is a continuation of OpenWRT) and anything supported that uses Atheros MIPS CPUs works pretty well, they are however getting dated nowdays. Mediatek MT7621 is a much nicer SoC, otherwise I'd have a look at QCA based ARM-boxes (IPQ****).

31. Zarathustra[H]

Well,

I don't know where the border between pro-sumer/consumer and enterprise routers go, so if it belongs in this thread or not, but I recently built a router for pfSense using a PC Engines APU2C4 board.

It's a custom form factor low power quad core AMD Jaguar chip with 4GB ECC RAM soldered on, and is quite affordable.

I ordered it straight from Switzerland and including shipping only paid $172 for the below, which is quite good for what you get.
    • apu2c4 APU.2C4 system board 4GB
    • case1d2blku Enclosure 3 LAN, black, USB
    • ac12vus2 AC adapter 12V US plug for IT equipment
    • msata16d SSD M-Sata 16GB MLC Phison

The reason I bring it up is because, in addition to the three on board Intel 210at gigabit ports, it also has two mini-pcie slots for expansion. I'm guessing most would use them for wifi, but I'd imagine there is no reason you couldn't install an LTE card of your choice on there and use it as an LTE router.

You could either stick a mini-Wlan card in one of the slots for WiFi routing, or do what I did and use dedicated wireless access points (I went with Unifi units).

The only downside with this platform is that it is a little tricky to start getting it going. It has no video output, so you have to do the first time install via serial console. I installed pfSense on mine serially, and once installed an online it is a breeze to manage via the web gui or SSH.

Mine is up and running very stable. I have ~60 days of uptime running pfSense on it right now, and that's in a hot non-airconditioned basement. Cooling is passive (you install the case so the die (with thermal tape in between) touches the side of the aluminum case, and it serves as a heatsink.

It has AES-NI support so you can easily do VPN type stuff on it. I also tested throughput on it, and it appears to be able to handle ~600Mbit/s. So not quite ready for gigabit internet, but for most of us it should be enough. It hums along using ~6W at the wall, as tested with my Kill-A-Watt.

I'm very happy with it.

I figure if we are all building our own desktops, why not build our own routers? :p It's the [H] way.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  32. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

Slower than the Fitlets (they are slightly more expensive) however you'll be more than fine with a MIPS or ARM box which most likely will perform better. Not to forget, warranty is a concern if you order overseas.

33. Tup3x

Tup3x [H]ard|Gawd

It's a possibility also thought about Turris Omnia but there's one problem: if you want to attach external antenna to it... You'd probably end up drilling holes etc.

34. Zarathustra[H]

The PC Engines APU case has these holes (one on each side) with rubber stoppers if you don't use them.

They are the correct size for screwing in WLAN adapter antenna plugs. Not sure if LTE antennas use the same size, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure something out.

IMG_20160801_170559.jpg

35. Zarathustra[H]

Here is a better pic with them visible:[​IMG]

36. Tup3x

Tup3x [H]ard|Gawd

Hmm... Well I guess those would be good enough.

37. Milehigh

Milehigh Limp Gawd

I currently have an Asus RT-N56U hooked to Comcast broadband, using their modem in a pass through mode letting the router handle all ops. Are there better options out there these days for performance/speed?

38. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

Not really unless you want faster wifi.

39. Milehigh

Milehigh Limp Gawd

Yes, I think that is the goal... my 5 ghz coverage is a bit weak, though speeds are decent.

40. Scream And Fly

Scream And Fly Gawd

That's no router, it's a space station!

revenant, Stryker7314 and Shadohh like this.