The official Red Orchestra 2 thread

Sitting in the chat room for the RO2 steam group.

yep...that pretty much means tomorrow if they submitted to Valve @ 1PM PST

what a minute???? what have they submitted? pre-load = 8GB, day 1 patch = 2GB...
so there's another patch coming?

I'm lost here...

How does this game compare to Day of Defeat?

I played the first RO after I picked it up on some Steam sale and I didn't like it. It might have just been because the community was beyond dead though. To me it seemed like a tank sim where if you did decide to go on foot you just have to sneak around and camp. It bored me to tears. Should I expect the same from this one?

Last edited:
boof... Came home excited to play.. only to have my grin turned into a frown as soon as I clicked on the play button.. :(

wheres my damn guns!! I dont have any of the guns I was promised for buying the deluxe edition...

Bought the game from getgames for 23$ and activated it now. Says its the deluxe edition! Downloading off steam @ 1.9mb/sec! :D

I played for a good hour and I want to get a full refund. The maps are quite bad, the game engine it self looks terrible, and the gameplay is very bland. I've already been there, done that. It feels exactly like something I've already played in many interations: bf2 mods, cod2, the list goes on. The textures are pretty bad and the scope texture is really amateur. The music sounds like a MIDI recording and the animations are by someone who just started learning rigging in 3DSmax. I really hate to say this as I wanted this game to be good but at most its just a 1-2 month holdover until other games come around. I'll be giving it quite a few more chances but as of now the first impressions are really disappointing.

My thoughts on the final game (copy/pasted from another forum):

Unlocked the garbage. Still can not find any servers. They are of zero help on the forums and completely ignore the issue that I and others can not see any servers in the browser.

In addition, the game is buggy, runs as bad or worse than Crysis Wars, and is awful in terms of gameplay compared to RO1. I will probably be asking for a refund for this crappy, pathetic excuse of a sequel. Shame to see yet another good series go down the drain.

Also, there is no way to play the maps offline with bots (like in RO1). Really stupid decision. The only way to play offline is to play the campaign.

Hmmm I dunno what they did since beta.. But damn the Russian weapons suck even worse now.. I used to get some nice long range shots with the PSH.. not I cant hit someone within 2ft from me...

Just got home from class and the game was unlocked. How long ago was it released?

Not to impressed so far. My fps are pretty terrible not matter what graphic settings I use but that might just be crossfire app issues. The textures are just shit!

The game play seems off in some way but I just can't put my finger on what is bothering me.

Wow.. alright I need some people who know how to NOT run in fucking front of me.. Got kicked twice for shooting enemies down hall and stupid ass teammate runs right into line of fire..

People keep playing this like COD.. Its not COD so stop running around like a chicken with its head cut off..

Not to impressed so far. My fps are pretty terrible not matter what graphic settings I use but that might just be crossfire app issues. The textures are just shit!

The game play seems off in some way but I just can't put my finger on what is bothering me.

It probably has to do with the insane superman running speed, lack of weapon sway, and clunky zoom and cover system combined with somewhat realistic damage modeling. The game has moved into BF/CoD style gameplay with a bit of RO1 left in it, and it just plays awfully. Either make the BF/CoD clone you want to make, or make a proper RO sequel. Don't go in the middle, because the result is almost always poor.

It probably has to do with the insane superman running speed, lack of weapon sway, and clunky zoom and cover system combined with somewhat realistic damage modeling. The game has moved into BF/CoD style gameplay with a bit of RO1 left in it, and it just plays awfully. Either make the BF/CoD clone you want to make, or make a proper RO sequel. Don't go in the middle, because the result is almost always poor.

Well that about covers it :p

Personally I haven't had any technical issues with the game, it seems to run fine for me at 1920x1080, everything max except FXAA at medium, vsync off runs about 45-50 fps (i5 2500k, gtx 560ti).

I played the single player for about 30 minutes earlier, just to get a feel for the game.

Noticed that the "Light Shafts" option is giving me some corruption around objects--the shafts look fine if there is nothing between me and the sun, but put a tree or fence between us and it gets pretty odd looking. On a 6950 (unlocked to 6970) with the 11.8s. Anyone else seeing that?

I played the single player for about 30 minutes earlier, just to get a feel for the game.

Noticed that the "Light Shafts" option is giving me some corruption around objects--the shafts look fine if there is nothing between me and the sun, but put a tree or fence between us and it gets pretty odd looking. On a 6950 (unlocked to 6970) with the 11.8s. Anyone else seeing that?

Yeah, there are a couple of other people on Rage3d saying that they see the same thing.

Just started the game and just before completing chapter 1 I get the achievement for completing the campain...:confused:

Bullshit. I've been playing RO since it was a mod, RO2 has stayed very true to its roots and isn't trying to be cod or bf at all.

No other game gives me such a rush like RO2, a kill in this game is worth 100 in BF or cod, has an awesome atmosphere and is just tonnes of fun.. Most people that whine about it just suck at it.

Bullshit. I've been playing RO since it was a mod, RO2 has stayed very true to its roots and isn't trying to be cod or bf at all.

No other game gives me such a rush like RO2, a kill in this game is worth 100 in BF or cod, has an awesome atmosphere and is just tonnes of fun.. Most people that whine about it just suck at it.

I find it to be some what difficult.

I find it to be some what difficult.

I find it to be damned difficult. I am just plain terrible. No two ways about it.

I think BC2 as the most recent example is still more my cup of tea than this in the end.

I am trying to like this game. But the maps are terrible. A fucking field filled with indestructible fences that bullets pass through? Who fucking thought that was a good idea?

Just got done decrypting/updating when the EULA popped up. Now, maybe I just had a bad day and am taking it the wrong way but the whole tone of it came across as rather asinine to me. I understand some of their viewpoint but their presentation has me holding off on accepting. Well, that and the "in game advertising" stuff.

when I first started I was rather cranky as it took FOREVER to become available and then it froze 3-4 times trying to get the resolution straight. I am so far liking it for the most part. There are some things I don't like, and I am playing on normal and it is REALLY Hard. Some missions I am fast and efficient and then others holy crap I have to start over like 5 times..

I am trying to like this game. But the maps are terrible. A fucking field filled with indestructible fences that bullets pass through? Who fucking thought that was a good idea?

:confused: The maps are some of the best well-designed mp focused maps I've seen in a long time.

So many places to do, buildings with completely opne floors/rooms which you almost never see in an fps game.

The destruction system was a bit o fa let down, seems more focused on arty and not actual destruction with tanks, nades, etc.

hmm.. i must be one of the lucky ones... no tech issues, and I am having a BLAST playing. It took me a few days to be able to get more than 1-2 kills a match, but now i'm getting close to 10x or 11x, and like another person said, every single kill is a rush way more than it is in BF (and i love BF games)

Couldn't have said it better. Just because this company is the "last stand against the tyranny that is consolitis", doesn't mean they're protected by some "pc only" treaty that prevents them from being called out if they produce a sub rate product. I really still am baffled to how and why this turned out the way it did, as the previews from the past year and longer had much more promise. Almost like they decided at the last minute to quote-unquote create a BF/CoD clone.

I don't see how the fuck any of you can say this is a CoD/BF game? Do you all [play on REALISM servers or relaxed realism? You do understand that those modes differ quite a bit in many aspects correct?

Playing on realism there is no "super-sprint" You can sprint, and you'll run out of breath and slow down, just like Ro1. Also certain characters are slower then others. An MGer/Anti-tank man is slower at running vs a simple rifleman.

Bullets are still very deadly, a good pistol shot to the chest/head can mean it all, and they even went further then RO:eek:st this time with actually having organ-based damage, so shots that are fatal can still clip you enough that you have a few moments before dying, and some are just bleeders you patch up (though I do think bandaging is too quick atm).

Apart from that, where are you all seeing that it's "CoD/BF?" I mean, the main things they have done are GOOD.

Such as the ability to sprint from prone (so you can run from grenades that land near you, which you would be able to do in real life). The smart deploy system, where you can deploy and move around, and it deploys back when you stop or keeps you deployed if you can. As well as the reloading behind cover and things.

Maybe I'm just blind, but I played RO since the UT mod days and I'm having a blast. IT doesn't feel at all like CoD to me in the least. That isn't to say there aren't some problems, or "tweaks" I'd like to see (like the stupid recoil on MG's while deployed, which is absurd, like the standing-recoil in RO:eek:st).

Working my way through SP, and I can conclude that:
1. The controls are terrible. If you change the defaults (say, change prone to Z instead of leftalt), it will still prompt you to do things with the default key
2. The AI is pretty mediocre. They'll stand in a hallway and I'll hipfire spray and get a quad
3. That tiny optic on the G41 is beyond bad. Irons are better even at long ranges
4. I like holding breath for every gun
5. Rifle melee attack is ridiculously awesome
6. The game is still pretty glitchy. If you go prone near a wall and deploy your MG, sometimes you will clip through. Sometimes you will fall through. Sometimes you will see through. Othertimes, it works though. And, if you reload while still iron sights, your reload animation is zoomed in.
7. How the fuck do you even use an LMG ? I've tried Lctrol (default use key), alt (prone), C (crouch), space (jump), W (forward), and a whole bunch of other keys, and who knows how you use it.

OK game, needs a lot of polish.

Back