The official Red Orchestra 2 thread

Only tried SP for an hour to get a feel for the game.

I wish there was an option to keep native voices(axis campaign/team speak German/Russian, maybe add subtitles as well when doing so)... it just sounds kind of silly in English. For historical accuracy, it's a shame there isn't really any swastikas when they have the hammer and sickle all over the place. I believe all the CoD's involving any WWII have these huge swastika banners.

I really like what they're trying to do with this game, and the level of control they give you. However I have to agree with most of the comments above.

- Texture corruption
- Weird clipping effects
- Crazy out of whack ballistics.
->For example in the training mission: firing a pistol at a target 200m away with no bullet drop. It's not a laser pistol :p
->And don't get me started on the sniper rifle...
- Getting shot through a wall made of sandbags

And that's from only playing for 45min!

Come on big patch!

Couldn't have said it better. Just because this company is the "last stand against the tyranny that is consolitis", doesn't mean they're protected by some "pc only" treaty that prevents them from being called out if they produce a sub rate product. I really still am baffled to how and why this turned out the way it did, as the previews from the past year and longer had much more promise. Almost like they decided at the last minute to quote-unquote create a BF/CoD clone.

TWI's posts and actions do indicate a change since 2009. Reminds me of the Insurgency mod. The development goal went from being realistic to "being immersive". Any type of game is designed to immerse the player. :rolleyes:

I've been playing more of the SP campaign. It is pretty much offline with bots, with some mediocre cutscenes. I've come across many more bugs in my play time so far.

really dig the gameplay, every single kill feels soooo satisfying.

Graphics are pretty nice even with medium settings and AA off,(love the self shadowing on the models) i get around 40-60fps in 64man servers
If you are having trouble seeing enemies try opening ROengine.ini and set DepthofField to false, without DOF the maps became much darker so you have counter it by keeping bloom enabled( don't worry, bloom is very toned down when DOF is off ) , sun shafts motion blur and radial blur should be kept to off

Framerate smoothing must be kept to on since you normally don't need more than 62fps, don't forget to keep "one frame threaded lag" enabled too, it gives about 20fps boost on systems with weaker cpus without adding any noticeable amounts of input lag, in my case at least ( believe me i'm pretty anal when it comes to these things )

I will ask the same question again, can you nvidia users enable MLAA and actually notice a difference in image quality ? what about hardware physics ? it's supposed to give a fps boost ! I'm mostly satisfied with the way the game looks and run now, very smooth and the character models really stand out, the only things that bother me is the LOD transitioning and some low res textures here and there ( character and textures are set to high )

I really wanna upgrade for this game :)

Gameplay wise it's a bit more shallow than RO1 but still very fun, it rewards tactical mindset and teamwork, not typical cod players who can't shoot for sh*t and run around like headless chickens, i'm sure most BC2 players will make the transition very easily, all you have to do is use common sense and be alert at all times.

I can't comment on the first RO game since I never played it, but I really like this game. I am getting killed left right and center, but that's because I suck from not playing FPS hardcore like I used to and learning that running and gunning is NOT going to work with this game lol. But I like the maps, I think they are great. Granted, at first you are kind of lost trying to figure out where everything is. But this game is aiming for a realistic approach, and imagine if you are a soldier and heading to a front line for the first time, you would be lost as well and disoriented. I have no problems with this approach. It doesn't spoon feed you like CoD does.

OK, I am going to go play for the whole morning/afternoon and try to get better at the game. Then I will come back with some observances, if I have any :)

I wish there was an option to keep native voices(axis campaign/team speak German/Russian, maybe add subtitles as well when doing so)... it just sounds kind of silly in English. For historical accuracy, it's a shame there isn't really any swastikas when they have the hammer and sickle all over the place. I believe all the CoD's involving any WWII have these huge swastika banners.

I believe the Swastika issue revolves around the market in Germany, where I think it's outlawed to have the Swastika in most forms, and games that have it are banned I think. I could be wrong, but I remember reading about it when Day of Defeat went retail and they took out all of the Swastika's.

MLAA.. I didn't try it, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be working.
I don't particularly like post processing AA in RO2, so I am using driver forced 4xMSAA.

Physics you can get GPU PhysX indicator ingame, but it's still mainly, if not all done on CPU.
Devs are very vague about this.
I recon you need to code proper GPU acceleration.
No noticeable difference - demorec still not working properly.

Tons of issues, but Tripwire is getting alot of sympathy and people are cutting them some serious slack.
And I don't know if that's the right way.
If you're gonna dance with big boys why not being judged by the same standards.

But its obvious they worked really really hard, so IMHO they should be given some time to iron things out

Yeah pretty much. If they charged $60 for the game, then I say don't cut them so much slack. But considering the general attitude of the devs, their dedication of previous games, I say cut them plenty of slack. The issues will get fixed, and they won't become apathetic like others. I say always give them the benefit of the doubt if they proved themselves before.

I think the fact that some games force foreign languages on you is stupid. It's not like if you went to war for your country, you'd be taking commands in a language you don't understand.

This is stuff the player needs to pick up on the fly, not read subtitles. They made a very good move by doing this in English.

I think the fact that some games force foreign languages on you is stupid. It's not like if you went to war for your country, you'd be taking commands in a language you don't understand.

This is stuff the player needs to pick up on the fly, not read subtitles. They made a very good move by doing this in English.

Read Xephian's again:

Emphasis on the option.

Been playing the game since the pre-release beta. The game is TOOOONS of fun and I am happy with the price I paid for this amount of content.

I'm seriously happier in this game than I am in BC2. This game has more substance to me.

MLAA.. I didn't try it, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be working.
I don't particularly like post processing AA in RO2, so I am using driver forced 4xMSAA.

Physics you can get GPU PhysX indicator ingame, but it's still mainly, if not all done on CPU.
Devs are very vague about this.
I recon you need to code proper GPU acceleration.
No noticeable difference - demorec still not working properly.

Tons of issues, but Tripwire is getting alot of sympathy and people are cutting them some serious slack.
And I don't know if that's the right way.
If you're gonna dance with big boys why not being judged by the same standards.

But its obvious they worked really really hard, so IMHO they should be given some time to iron things out

Tripwire is getting slack because they put in a ton of options to have people help them get their crash dumps, performance dumps to help them locate the issues and fix it. Tripwire put out several, SEVERAL, patches over beta fixing peoples crashes and resolving things.

Tripwire is not a big dev. They rely upon help of the community.

They also get some serious slack from me due to the fact that i only paid 35 dollars for it!, totally fair price imo

Loving the TDM type mode so far. Awesome change of pace from BF/CoD. Extremely satisfying when you get a kill.

One minor complaint I have though is that the UI is straight up fugly.

This game is definitely not for me. Aim + ballistics + speed is not what I was looking for. Time to Shift + Delete

Loving the TDM type mode so far. Awesome change of pace from BF/CoD. Extremely satisfying when you get a kill.

I agree, there is just something so satisfying about shooting someone in the face with a bolt action rifle. I love the gunplay in this game. This is turning up into what I wish DOD:S could be. I'm having fun.

All I know is, the game is kind of hard to get used to, and when you're the only one really being able to move up and get some kills, it kind of drains the experience...

The game is somewhat inconsistent/glitchy with the movement/animations, but otherwise it is running fine for me.

Right now there is that fun and also frustrating part of learning a new game and not knowing where to go or wtf you are doing.

Having played 3 maps so far, TE_grainelevator (?) seems to be an easier one to get the hang of, I actually got most effective and most kills on the second round playing that map. The other two (no idea the names) I was basically completely lost and kept getting shot in the back or sides.

For sure a game that grows on you, but isn't very interesting right off the bat. I've only played 2 hours so far and enjoying more and more as I get more used to the mechanics and maps.

Can someone explain the xp system? Mainly I'm not sure how class exp is calculated.

Also I'm still wanting to try out the tanks, but I have no idea which maps use them?

The game needs some fixes, I've had a decent amount of fun so far. I find that the PPSh is terrible for me, but other guns like for the elite rifleman(svt40?) I do extremely well with on hardcore and am able to drop most people with ease. Some people are either going to love or hate this game. At the moment if things don't get fixed, or more content is added I have a feeling I'll lose some interest in this game once BF3 comes out.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=62144

I really want a gtx570 right now, anyone else having terrible lod transitions when moving closer to bushes fences etc ? I think i will try occlusion and detail on high when i get home, overclock my 5850 to 5870 speeds as well, i hope PB will not hardlock my computer like it does when i use a gpu tool and play bc2 at the same time.

We're supposed to be able to host our own servers right? Tried looking for the server files yesterday and was a no go. Anyone else find them?

i heard the game is not good . i but wanted to buy it since its steam version. i like steam games . i searching for it with the cheapest price .and i bought it . the funny thing i got the key 1 hour from the official release.from www.cdkeysgames.com if every one want get the game but hesitate about its high price at steam get it from here guys .

Edit.. didnt see it was already posted.. FAIL..

Patch inbound today! Fixes Crashes, Day 1 unlocks, and mG accuracy for AI

Code:
Everyone,

I wanted to make everyone aware first off that we're hard at work addressing the issues that have been discovered since the launch. Additionally, we'll be releasing the first patch for the game today in just a little while. This patch will address among other things:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working
- spawn menu looping bug
- various crash fixes
- decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI

To be quite frank with you it has taken us a little longer than usual to get an update out post launch. Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles. So we've struggled a bit working out how to properly do patches on the PC, without requiring a massive download. Anyone in the beta remembers that every update for the beta was fairly large, and this is the reason why. We had thought we had all of this worked out before the final release, but that was not the case.

So rather than saddle you all with a multi-gig download for a small code patch, we've been slaving away on the patching system to get this issue resolved. Fortunately, it looks like we've finally cracked this issue, and will be able to deliver code patches to you all now without requiring overly large downloads.

So once again, you will see an update today, and many more to come. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to get these issues resolved for you.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=875368&postcount=1

bought it for the coop

there is no coop :(

:rolleyes:

Did you read anything about this game before buying it?

How does this game compare to Bad Company 2? :confused:

Its different. There are no helicopters. The guns actually have recoil.

Its more like Day of Defeat source on a realism server with more maps and tanks and artillery (sadly) and a few other tweaks. Don't expect to run and gun in this one.

i heard the game is not good . i but wanted to buy it since its steam version. i like steam games . i searching for it with the cheapest price .and i bought it . the funny thing i got the key 1 hour from the official release.from www.cdkeysgames.com if every one want get the game but hesitate about its high price at steam get it from here guys .
Do people really buy games from sites like this?

Bc2 has recoil. Not as much but if you have no recoil you are either cheating or actually playing cod.

I hope this game and the expansion get things together. I want to play it but just can't in its current state. The beta was no fun for me. I am glad to support these guys though. Need more of them.

Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles.

And consolification rears its ugly head again, even in a PC only title. Had no idea UE3 was geared towards consoles, but then again most of the games utilizing it are on the consoles (Gears of Wars etc) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not sure if that statement is really accurate though. I suspect it is actually combination of how Unreal 3 needs to be patched and how Steam handles patching (this was also the same issue with the Witcher 2).

You can see other Unreal 3 games stand alone patches (not involving Steam) can be quite small.

And consolification rears its ugly head again, even in a PC only title. Had no idea UE3 was geared towards consoles, but then again most of the games utilizing it are on the consoles (Gears of Wars etc) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Dude UE3 when done right is fine. Despite popular belief it is a good engine. Its all of the bad ports with mouse smoothing enabled by default that make it look bad.

Look at this game. Gunplay feels very natural. If I only had better framerates it would feel perfect.

Its different. There are no helicopters. The guns actually have recoil.

Its more like Day of Defeat source on a realism server with more maps and tanks and artillery (sadly) and a few other tweaks. Don't expect to run and gun in this one.

Co-op was a featured they talked about a lot in 2009-10. They had to drop it apparently. Guns do have recoil, like the insanely high PPSH-41 recoil. At least it is better than RO CA and OST, but still it is so high. :/

I finished the SP campaigns in around 6 hours. The bots are stupid. Enough said. There are CoD style cutscenes between missions, which are actually just the MP maps. Don't buy the game for SP expecting much.

I still can't get the browser to display any servers either.

Co-op was a featured they talked about a lot in 2009-10. They had to drop it apparently. Guns do have recoil, like the insanely high PPSH-41 recoil. At least it is better than RO CA and OST, but still it is so high. :/

I finished the SP campaigns in around 6 hours. The bots are stupid. Enough said. There are CoD style cutscenes between missions, which are actually just the MP maps. Don't buy the game for SP expecting much.

I still can't get the browser to display any servers either.

yes they did thanksfor the backup

aw look who doesn't have friends :)

There is no co-op listed anywhere on any of the sales pages either. :p

try the official about page, oddly it got moved to being included in a patch, but it used to be listed as a launch feature
I hope you didnt buy Space Marine too then :D

LOL thankfully no. looks fun though.

you obviously didnt read as much as I did, http://www.co-optimus.com/article/4984/tripwire-interactive-announces-co-op-for-red-orchestra-2.html

they announced it last year, but obviously bit off more than they can chew

I hope they patch it in, and soon. if the patch comes post bf3 I doubt I will ever play the game

Back