The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I love my mesmer and my warrior. They're my two mains. Mesmer for wvw and PvP, warrior for pve.

Also, I started getting excited for the game again. Turns out it was just my build getting stale. New build and some gold for gear later and I'm having a blast.

With holidays and other rl stuff going on I haven't had hardly any chance of doing the FOTM instances. I think I'm only at level 2, and I hope this doesn't screw me over in getting a group when I have more time to play. The new dungeons are VERY good from the few I played, and I could see playing in there quite a while.

i am quite close to 100% two zones. the only thing that i need to do are one or two skill points and the vista's.

I am really enjoying this game. Enjoying it soo much that my wife says im an addict lol.

On saturday i teamed up with a party who had 2-3 people who all knew eachother in a new zone i encountered in the snow. level 40-50 zone and we did over half of the zone together playing for a few hours. i really enjoyed it. the guys and girls were really nice and friendly. nice banter and nice area. it was the dredgehaunt cliff.

i like that zone. it has some cool hidden caves there and down below south of the zone, there is loads of events happening filled with dredge enemies!

a nice chap from the party showed me how to get to the vista down the south of the zone. it was challenging. took us maybe 20mins to get to the vista climbing up the little tower mixed with some tricky jumping puzzles!

Trying to get to level 80 by xmas.

i am now level 54

I dont play much fifa nowadays. i mean i love my footy games as some u know but this game is too good to put down. cant wait to get to level 80 and then get another character to level 80

i can see myself playing this game for months on end.

Hit level 80. What do I do now?

I think you'll have to set your own goal depending on what you enjoy. You could participate in WvW too.

I hit level 80 some time ago and I just did it to get the leveling out of the way, so now I can focus on getting some nice gears. I'm trying to collect 240k karma to get the exotic melandru armor set (+power, +vit, +toughness) And saving up golds for the upgrades and exotic knight's trinkets.

Once I'm geared up, I'll start doing WvW. I'm also doing my personal story too.

Some people set forging Legendary weapon as their goal and they work towards that, but I don't think I'll achieve that anytime soon, lol.

Ranger here. Just hit my mid 70's last night. Found this very cool cave with about six animals to tame..was wild, the whole cave was just this mess of Juveniles. Question. Near the volcano someone took me to this "secret" area where you find the "elements" and use them to unlock a chest. I died and cant find the area again. Sound familiar to anyone?

The Thief looks a bit too close to the Ranger.

I can tell you that Thief plays much differently than Ranger. I have one character in each profession and the play styles usually differ quite a bit. Also, of the classes, Ranger & Necro are the two classes that have a substantial amount of broken mechanics that have yet to be patched by ANet. Thief on the other hand has some issues that allows you to effectively be invisible indefinitely. Nothing more annoying than running into a perma-stealth thief when you aren't prepared for it.

Ranger here. Just hit my mid 70's last night. Found this very cool cave with about six animals to tame..was wild, the whole cave was just this mess of Juveniles. Question. Near the volcano someone took me to this "secret" area where you find the "elements" and use them to unlock a chest. I died and cant find the area again. Sound familiar to anyone?

That's the Hidden Garden jumping puzzle. It was added with the Halloween event. To get to it you have to kill one of the 4 keepers and enter their portal.

With holidays and other rl stuff going on I haven't had hardly any chance of doing the FOTM instances. I think I'm only at level 2, and I hope this doesn't screw me over in getting a group when I have more time to play. The new dungeons are VERY good from the few I played, and I could see playing in there quite a while.

It's very hard to get a group...I was level 2 and grinded my way to level 11 over the weekend, mostly doing runs with the same group as much as possible.
Try http://www.gw2lfg.com/.

Which made me realize, I don't have the time for this anymore. The game is just too massive for me. It will take forever to get 100g (which will probably inflate in time). I don't have time to endlessly grind dungeons for ectoplasms, or w/e. I've got 1 char to 80. one to 60, and 2 more to 45. I think I'm done for now. Just too much to do, for too little reward in too little time. I'm going to go play BL2 finally, where I can get massive amounts of rewarding loot for smaller time investment.

Contemplating this too...this game has turned into a seemingly endless gearing grind, what's the point in investing anymore time into this game as opposed to another game if it turned into a nightly job of grinding FoTw mindlessly.

Contemplating this too...this game has turned into a seemingly endless gearing grind, what's the point in investing anymore time into this game as opposed to another game if it turned into a nightly job of grinding FoTw mindlessly.
Believe it or not, that's what some people want (and even worse need). Most MMO's rely on gear grinds, dungeon crawls, and PvP for end game content, I can't think of any that doesn't.

I got 100% world completion last week after WvW reset and I've been playing all my other games since. GW2 is still amazing and there's a lot I want to do (jumping puzzles), but now I log on maybe a couple times a week to play with low-level friends and that's it. I'll come back to it but I think I'll be on a hiatus for a bit playing through my backlog (although Hitman: Absolution is occupying all of my free time currently. :D)

"It will take forever to get 100g "

they want you to use real money, to buy gems, then sell them for gold

just saying

btw, the guild i'm in had 75 peeps on a month ago in prime time..that number is down to 35..there's almost 500 people in the guild

I am glad GW2 is failing, this is not a path other MMORPG's should follow...

Found some sucker to buy my Collectors edition junk so it helped ease the painful waste of money. ;)

I am glad GW2 is failing, this is not a path other MMORPG's should follow...

Found some sucker to buy my Collectors edition junk so it helped ease the painful waste of money. ;)

I don't think you needed to sell it, considering the cost of your sound card and other PC parts you've poured money into :D. But whatever lets you sleep better at night ;)

Seriously though, it's a shame that there isn't that epic feeling here as there was in GW1. I'm starting to notice it too now heh.

Anyone running GW2 on a multi-monitor setup? If so, how does it run?

Runs great for me, there are no problems with the game running across 3 monitors.

Aside from the fun getting sucked out of the game. Or maybe I am just bitter at getting one shot in Southsun Cove. Fail one dodge -> dead. Good gameplay :eek:

Runs great for me, there are no problems with the game running across 3 monitors.

Aside from the fun getting sucked out of the game. Or maybe I am just bitter at getting one shot in Southsun Cove. Fail one dodge -> dead. Good gameplay :eek:

I would say that the "next patch will fix it." However, I have learned that usually the next patch is a setup for their shallow content adds and doesn't do nearly enough to fix all of the broken mechanics. My main class (necro) still has skills that literally do not work at all and really limits your builds. That said, I have enjoyed WvW for a few months now. (even with its flaws)

I would say that the "next patch will fix it." However, I have learned that usually the next patch is a setup for their shallow content adds and doesn't do nearly enough to fix all of the broken mechanics. My main class (necro) still has skills that literally do not work at all and really limits your builds. That said, I have enjoyed WvW for a few months now. (even with its flaws)

I was into WvWvW until ArenaNet "fixed" the iBerseker Phantasm in the balance patch. Now I understand that is was a bit OP since it could attack through walls, however that left the Mesmer with *nothing* useful to attack people on the walls for keep sieges. Then only thing I can use now its a 40 second cooldown AOE that hits for ~400 damage :rolleyes: I tried a support spec and the Mesmer is terrible at that as well.

In that same patch, they also dropped a huge (accidental) nerf to Mesmer damage in PVE. Now its been two weeks and they still haven't fixed it. I enjoyed the spec I was playing before, now its crap for PVE and WvWvW :mad:

Also this shit really needs a dungeon group finder...

Last edited:
Just giving myself a shout out here. Last night I hit level 80 in the game. This is the FIRST time ever I have made it this far in any MMORPG, and I basically did it by myself. There were few and far between of me grouping, and as the time went by fewer players to even meet up with. So, today is my day. To sit and relax and give myself a pat on the back. Ahh. Feels good.

I was into WvWvW until ArenaNet "fixed" the iBerseker Phantasm in the balance patch. Now I understand that is was a bit OP since it could attack through walls, however that left the Mesmer with *nothing* useful to attack people on the walls for keep sieges. Then only thing I can use now its a 40 second cooldown AOE that hits for ~400 damage :rolleyes: I tried a support spec and the Mesmer is terrible at that as well.

In that same patch, they also dropped a huge (accidental) nerf to Mesmer damage in PVE. Now its been two weeks and they still haven't fixed it. I enjoyed the spec I was playing before, now its crap for PVE and WvWvW :mad:

Also this shit really needs a dungeon group finder...

I have to say that, coming from GW1 to GW2, I am shocked at how shallow the game play feels at times. I try not to let all of the missing elements bother me too much since it is only been out for 3 months. There are moments where I see glimmers of hope but so far GW2 is as shallow as a kiddie pool compared to GW1 in terms of class mechanics.

Just giving myself a shout out here. Last night I hit level 80 in the game. This is the FIRST time ever I have made it this far in any MMORPG, and I basically did it by myself. There were few and far between of me grouping, and as the time went by fewer players to even meet up with. So, today is my day. To sit and relax and give myself a pat on the back. Ahh. Feels good.

Congrats! If I didn't have character ADD then I would have hit 80 by now as well. I have 8 characters and try to play them all. My closest characters are a necro at 54, a warrior at 50, and a guardian at 42. I am really trying to get my necro to 80 since there is no point to buying good armor or weapons until you hit the level cap.

I got lvl80, 100 percent world completion, 400 in two crafts, full crafted exotics. Honestly, haven't played in a few weeks. Never felt a reason to sign on after doing all of that. :rolleyes:

I got lvl80, 100 percent world completion, 400 in two crafts, full crafted exotics. Honestly, haven't played in a few weeks. Never felt a reason to sign on after doing all of that. :rolleyes:

At this point, I think the lack of a holy trinity and a gear treadmill hurts GW2 more than it may be helping. Their method of adding content difficulty is just one-shotting players and the lack of dedicated tanks and healers reduces the number of mechanics they can introduce to encounters. With everyone wearing the same L80 Exotic gear (aside from the new Ascended gear), there isn't much to work towards to access new content.

I haven't changed primary gear on my toon since I got full Exotics shortly after hitting Level 80.

Last edited:
At this point, I think the lack of a holy trinity and a gear treadmill hurts GW2 more than it may be helping. Their method of adding content difficulty is just one-shotting players and the lack of dedicated tanks and healers reduces the number of mechanics they can introduce to encounters. With everyone wearing the same L80 Exotic gear (aside from the new Ascended gear), there isn't much to work towards to access new content.

I haven't changed primary gear on my toon since I got full Exotics shortly after hitting Level 80.

So true, it's amazing how most people don't understand this. The game is flawed at a core level.

I could not agree more. The lack of roles is what gets me. I understand where they were trying to go with this but I think they failed (my opinion). I have played a pure healer class in every mmo I have played. I feel like I am forced to be a dps in this game.

: lacrimstein on official forums said:
“Different” is not necessarily “Better”. “No holy trinity” was supposed to mean that the roles would still be there, but anyone could spec their character for any of the roles. At least, thats how the fanboys explained the system to critics of the decision back in the BWE days to convince them to buy the game. Instead, we got a “Holy Unity” – DPS with useless minor spec choices towards healing/tanking, making PvE encounters mind-numbingly simple pinatas that require zero teamwork.

sums up how I feel ^^

Last edited:
So true, it's amazing how most people don't understand this. The game is flawed at a core level.

its not a design flaw..that IS the design

if you want to know what a design flaw is, i give you warhammer online

GW2 is an ACTION RPG game..the moment you embrace that and accept it, it ALL makes sense...now whether you like action rpgs or not, is a personal, subjective opinion

it was marketed as an mmo, but apparently, if more than 2 people can log onto a game these days, they call it an mmo....when in fact, it should have been marketed as an action rpg game..active dodging to avoid getting hit and no healer/tank class is a dead giveaway

buyer beware..make sure you know WHAT your buying

GW2 is an ACTION RPG game..the moment you embrace that and accept it, it ALL makes sense...now whether you like action rpgs or not, is a personal, subjective opinion

it was marketed as an mmo, but apparently, if more than 2 people can log onto a game these days, they call it an mmo....when in fact, it should have been marketed as an action rpg game..active dodging to avoid getting hit and no healer/tank class is a dead giveaway

buyer beware..make sure you know WHAT your buying
Nailed it.

Nailed it.

Yes, I think he's got it...that's pretty much the game. Now, I do hope they still throw out content every once in a while. If that happens, there's no reason to not pick this up and have a whole lot of hours worth of fun. Even more if you've got friends to play with.

When I think "Action RPG", I think Dark Souls. That game seems simple however there was a lot of complex gameplay and strategy that the players needed to utilize. Also even with a relatively small set of gear and skills, people could effectively play anything from a back-flipping glass cannon thief to an almost stationary warrior with a massive shield most characters couldn't even lift. In GW2, everyone ends up doing (mostly) the same thing from either ranged or melee distance. When everyone is "equal" and there are no roles, then everyone ends up doing the same thing.

GW2 is turning into "Get hit once -> die". In some cases, it is "get hit twice -> die -> respec full survival -> get hit twice and then STILL die". With almost all of the Boons being *extremely* short duration, its very difficult to plan ahead or use a different strategy other than scampering around like crazy when the AOE nuke hits of the telegraphed massive attack comes down. Also +Healing seems like a really poor stat investment in GW2, since apparently they don't want anyone being an actual healer. Some of the best Guardian healing/support specs and builds have 0 Healing power since it makes such a little difference.

I really like GW2 (the art, the game play, game world, quest system, WvWvW...), however the lack of "things to do" and little class differentiation is going to hurt the long term potential. I've played a lot of GW2 and I want to keep playing it, however ArenaNet needs to come up with something else. GW1 didn't have this problem because there were so many profession/talent combinations you could stay busy for weeks/months just capturing all of the elite skills and messing with them.

Last edited:
This game does need a dungeon finder of some sort. I got to 80 and haven't really touched the game since.

You haven't really explored much of the game then if you've only had one set of gear for your character at 80 and think it's shifting towards 1-shot kills. There are plenty of viable specs for most classes that fundamentally change the way you play to be effective, and a lot of that comes from slot skills which most people see as ancillary skills but they aren't when you trait properly. Even Warrior who you would expect to be a rather 1 or 2 dimensional class can be played VERY differently from ranged vs. melee to a shouts/healing warrior or a banner/support warrior and that ignores the very basic deviations of dps where you choose direct damage vs. conditions.

Do some research on your class, I have four 80s and each of them has at least 2 completely different gear sets, one of them is at difficulty 29 on FotM with 2 of the others at 10 or higher, and I am constantly seeing new builds whether they be niche or spvp-oriented or whatever that are perfectly viable. Not to mention even at almost level 30 difficulty I am not getting one shot by stuff in FotM unless I run into a big group of mobs like a retard without means of crowd control.

TL : DR - There is a lot of depth that is not obvious, whatever class you play has at least one other spec that changes everything you do and how you gear.

You haven't really explored much of the game then if you've only had one set of gear for your character at 80 and think it's shifting towards 1-shot kills. There are plenty of viable specs for most classes that fundamentally change the way you play to be effective, and a lot of that comes from slot skills which most people see as ancillary skills but they aren't when you trait properly.

Do some research on your class, I have four 80s and each of them has at least 2 completely different gear sets, one of them is at difficulty 29 on FotM with 2 of the others at 10 or higher, and I am constantly seeing new builds whether they be niche or spvp-oriented or whatever that are perfectly viable. Not to mention even at almost level 30 difficulty I am not getting one shot by stuff in FotM unless I run into a big group of mobs like a retard without means of crowd control.

TL : DR - There is a lot of depth that is not obvious, whatever class you play has at least one other spec that changes everything you do and how you gear.

I have multiple seats of gear. I stick with one set because I get the best results with that. Its the same one I first bought when I hit 80 :(

I have to say that, coming from GW1 to GW2, I am shocked at how shallow the game play feels at times. I try not to let all of the missing elements bother me too much since it is only been out for 3 months. There are moments where I see glimmers of hope but so far GW2 is as shallow as a kiddie pool compared to GW1 in terms of class mechanics.

It is interesting to see the mmorpg types complain about one thing and then us something else. I don't play gw2 because only gw1 had the awesome complex skill system to play with. gw2 is gw lobotomized and otherwise modified to appeal to mmorpg types, but they lost me in the process

What the hell happened to Intel? I haven't seen a post by him in a long time. Intel if you're out there, you still playing this!? :confused:

He posted in a thread the other day. I think he was kinda tired of it awhile ago though.

gw2 is gw lobotomized

No they spent all their time in GW1 nerfing any skill combo and now they just give you one set and whoopie its a joke, just like dungeons and the rest of the game. The only reason it sold was you don't pay monthly, if they tried that it would only need 1 server and there would be a dev for each player.

gw2 is gw lobotomized

No they spent all their time in GW1 nerfing any skill combo and now they just give you one set and whoopie its a joke, just like dungeons and the rest of the game. The only reason it sold was you don't pay monthly, if they tried that it would only need 1 server and there would be a dev for each player.

You've been saying that exact same line for the last 6 months. It's getting old when you haven't any played the game. I know I know you borrowed a friends copy who borrowed a copy from his friend and you tried his Guardian in a dungeon and didn't like it after 5 minutes.

Or was it because you've owned the game for the last year and didn't like the monthly fee. I get all of your excuses for not liking the game mixed up so you'll have to excuse me.

My Thief has more than 1 set of skills and various playstyles that are interchangeable on the fly. Does the game need some work to make use of the strategy of weapon swapping in combat yes it does but there is simply more strategy in this game than any other MMO in the last few years. Dungeons and PvP and WvWvW all need some fine tuning but I'm ok with that because there is no monthly fee. I can come and go as I please without any pressure.

Next time get over where Arenanet touched you in GW1 and try the game before commenting on it. Otherwise start yourself a GW 1 thread and talk about all your fotm nerfed combos there. :rolleyes:

You've been saying that exact same line for the last 6 months. It's getting old when you haven't any played the game. I know I know you borrowed a friends copy who borrowed a copy from his friend and you tried his Guardian in a dungeon and didn't like it after 5 minutes.

Or was it because you've owned the game for the last year and didn't like the monthly fee. I get all of your excuses for not liking the game mixed up so you'll have to excuse me.

My Thief has more than 1 set of skills and various playstyles that are interchangeable on the fly. Does the game need some work to make use of the strategy of weapon swapping in combat yes it does but there is simply more strategy in this game than any other MMO in the last few years. Dungeons and PvP and WvWvW all need some fine tuning but I'm ok with that because there is no monthly fee. I can come and go as I please without any pressure.

Next time get over where Arenanet touched you in GW1 and try the game before commenting on it. Otherwise start yourself a GW 1 thread and talk about all your fotm nerfed combos there. :rolleyes:

If you look at his post history, he's filled with stories that go round and round in circles. I never take any post he makes seriously. I doubt anyone else does either.

He posted in a thread the other day. I think he was kinda tired of it awhile ago though.

Ah he did? That's a shame. Wish I could go back in time to when he was fully playing etc., when the game came out. Was a more interesting experience than now, where people just seem scattered.

I wonder who's left from the Borlis Pass H guild...

Ah he did? That's a shame. Wish I could go back in time to when he was fully playing etc., when the game came out. Was a more interesting experience than now, where people just seem scattered.

I wonder who's left from the Borlis Pass H guild...

The [H] guild on BP only had 10 people in it and no one was ever on in it. S & F which is where we all started is extremely active and generally about 50 of us on at any given time it seems.

Back