The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Yes the login servers are down at the moment.
Off their twitter page.
We are looking into the log-in problems. Hang tight! ^MK
The error message you get at the moment is slightly off, we have an issue with the login servers and are working on it. Don't Panic! ^MK

Hit 80 today, figured I would try to find some decent looking armor.

6548zp.jpg

Anyone else getting consistent lockup since the last patch? I can't even play any more, its like clockwork exactly 60 seconds in to starting the game it crashes.

Anyone else getting consistent lockup since the last patch? I can't even play any more, its like clockwork exactly 60 seconds in to starting the game it crashes.
Other than when the login servers are down I haven't had any problems. Have you updated any drivers or such just before you had problems?

Last edited:
Weird question. GW2 is working fine on my desktop, though I've kept pretty up to date on updates/patches. My laptop is a few behind however, and it won't connect to download to patch for some reason. Anyone know why?

"Connection Error(s) detected. Retrying"

Either the server was down or you have a firewall or some other software blocking the connection to the Anet servers.

No lock-ups here. Server connection problems occasionally though.

So what are some options for easy gold making schemes right now? I'm okay if it's simply find X dynamic event and repeat it forever, I'd just like to know specifically what I should be doing. I was doing pretty well just clearing zones and selling the exotics and other drops but that's petering out now.

Anyone else already getting burned out on GW2? Got level 80, all items exotic and upgraded, killed a few thousand people in WvW. Game just doesn't have any long term appeal for me like MMORPG's of the past. I can already see my amount of guild members logging in dropping pretty fast. IMO GW2 won't have more than 300k active players by Christmas.

Some trend info: http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

Anyone else already getting burned out on GW2? Got level 80, all items exotic and upgraded, killed a few thousand people in WvW. Game just doesn't have any long term appeal for me like MMORPG's of the past. I can already see my amount of guild members logging in dropping pretty fast. IMO GW2 won't have more than 300k active players by Christmas.

Look at all what you've done, of course you're getting burned out. :p

haha no doubt, my highest level character is 16 now. Ive got a fair while to go before i burn out on it lol.

2 guilds I'm in are pretty deserted as well - but the thing is, a quick look at the members tells me most of them have no alts, no crafts, no personal stories, barely any exploration; just a mad blitz 50+hrs the 1st week w/ one cookie cutter spec to "end game", then complain about there's nothing to do other than zerging in WvW...why do MMO gamers do this to themselves? That's almost equivalent to paying couple of grand to go on a luxury cruise but end up slouching in the lounge the entire trip...unless you're an alcoholic, I guess.

You may be right about the dwindling population but you should also take into consideration that plenty of people also had to go back to school so that is also going to cut down on the amount time played.
But like others have said, you and others burned yourself out by pushing so fast to max out. Hell I have all Character slots filled with different professions and my highest is lvl 30. I'm just taking my time and enjoying it with no need to rush through it like others have been doing.

No need to rush, there is no subscription so I can take all the time I want to max out :).

I'm at level 23 so far and I'm kind of bored too.

Maybe it's the fact that MMO's just aren't for me, it's the first one I've played. The combat just feels repetitive to me. always the same couple of combos of attacks over and over. the 'dynamic' events are more like 'static' events.. I've done the same ones in the exact same places so many times now. everyone is running around doing their own thing, they might as well be NPC's.

I mean it hasn't all being boring, I have enjoyed lots of things, and I will still play it and get max level eventually. I just expected more tbh.

Pretty much the same for me. I barely log in now.

2 guilds I'm in are pretty deserted as well - but the thing is, a quick look at the members tells me most of them have no alts, no crafts, no personal stories, barely any exploration; just a mad blitz 50+hrs the 1st week w/ one cookie cutter spec to "end game", then complain about there's nothing to do other than zerging in WvW...why do MMO gamers do this to themselves? That's almost equivalent to paying couple of grand to go on a luxury cruise but end up slouching in the lounge the entire trip...unless you're an alcoholic, I guess.
Lol, great imagery. This is not a game for the hardcore crowd (unless they want legendaries, I guess)

This is not a game for the hardcore crowd (unless they want legendaries, I guess)

This

Its a game you to log in for a couple hours, have some fun, then log off and have a life

They've streamlined a bunch of stuff and by far, the crafting (especially cooking) is just loads of fun....lately, i've been getting into underwater exploration/combat...i find it 'relaxing' and a nice change of pace

my most exciting moments come when i get a drop of unidentified dye !! LOL ..I just got cherry yesterday and, crazy as it sounds, I love it ...LOL

but yea, i got bitten by the boredom bug too..but i'm still having fun...as opposed to boredom and no fun, ala swtor

come back in a few weeks...it may seem fresh again

Lol, great imagery. This is not a game for the hardcore crowd (unless they want legendaries, I guess)

I guess it depends on how you define "hardcore". GW1 did not have the same end game as traditional MMO's (read: WoW), but there were "hardcore" players in there that wanted to get everything done.

I figured GW2 would be perfect for me since if I like a game, I tend to want to play "through" it with multiple characters (why commit to one...). The first thing I did in D3 when I hit 60 was make an alt... then regretted it due to the massive endless grind required. It just didn't pan out well in that game. GW2 on the other hand is perfect. When I played WoW (TBC and Vanilla), the raiding schedule just wasn't conducive to me spending time on an alt. I didn't actualy manage to make one until much later (when I took a hiatus from raiding) despite WoW being the game I spent the most time on out of any game I've played. In GW1, I made something like 25 different characters over the course of its life. I have no idea why, but I kept on deleting and remaking characters just to play through the missions again with a slightly different build/class combo. It's a tad strange looking back at it now.

Well, back to school would account for some of that and the release of borderlands 2 and torchlight 2 would have accounted for more of that. As one torchlight fan said to me, it's great that I can go off play another game and come back to GW2 at any time.

But you may be right. I still think if you have done all that amount of playing in the last month no wonder you are totally burnt out!!

Level 60 Thief here, and already bored of this game :(

Even worst, this game made miss WoW even more so.. contemplating re-subbing.. damn you gw2 :(

Well, I _was_ digging this game until today. Warning to anyone putting a lot of time into GW2 - if your account gets hacked you are basically SOL. They will restore your username/password, but your toons cannot be restored. I had spent 2+ weeks farming food to power level cooking. Every single item in my bank, in my collections, on my toon - gone. And ANET sent me an email saying sorry we are unable to restore your items.
I've been playing online games for nearly a decade. This is the first time I've ever been hacked, so I don't believe that my passwords or habits are accountable. Their security blows and now I've lost all the time I put into the game. Needless to say, I won't be playing it anymore.

I'm a level 54 Thief, Level 32 Guardian, and Level 15 Engineer....I still love this game. And I didn't even buy it release day, as I didn't think I would like it that much.

This is a great casual game to play. I don't feel rushed to do anything. I actually skip all the cutscene too...I am sure the game would be even more great if I actually followed the story :p

I havn't got the game yet, but worried this will happen to me as well. can't you go back and do the dungeons in explorable mode with people? that should be a challenge right?

I sort of burned myself on a mini-blitz from 20-50, and since stopping to take a breath I haven't really been able to regain the same enthusiasm I had. Maybe because by that stage it's already clear that every level range is just a repeat of the previous one, with bigger numbers. Of course that's common to pretty much every MMO, but still. On the other hand I rolled a new alt and am taking it easy, mostly only playing with a friend who has relatively little spare time, but at least I'm still playing.

Also, I'm getting a bit tired of how the game appears to be falling apart at the seams with broken events, the messed-up diminishing rewards system and missing skill point NPCs left, right and centre. The little rollback they did on my server on Saturday didn't help. Hopefully it's just because the devs are all on a post-release vacation or something and they'll get their shit together soon.

Like I said before, I am still loving playing this game...

But I do agree, that every level range/map is the same thing so far, just different scenery. Hoping that this changes, as I get up...it did change once as I did get to fight a huge dragon randomly with about 50 other people. That was cool :)

Warrior is level 49, Elementalist (current char) is level 62, and have various characters in the teens. My friends have been 80 since the first, maybe second, week of release. I would have been as well, but rerolled to my Elementalist. They've been either rerolling alts or going back to explorable mode dungeons. I keep trying WvW, but it really isn't grabbing my interest.

Also, I'm getting a bit tired of how the game appears to be falling apart at the seams with broken events, the messed-up diminishing rewards system and missing skill point NPCs left, right and centre. The little rollback they did on my server on Saturday didn't help. Hopefully it's just because the devs are all on a post-release vacation or something and they'll get their shit together soon.

Yeah, I hope so. The first week of release there were patches every day fixing things left and right. Now there hasn't been a patch in days, and I hit at least two broken skill points/events per zone.

I'm standing by my initial impressions and i quote myself from 3 weeks ago:

Here is my take on GW2:

The zones are not THAT awesome, they are pretty standard MMO stuff without surprises. The whole game actually is fairly generic imho. If the hype would not have been there and a different name slapped on to this, it would be generic korean mmo numer 234452 and people would care for less than 3 weeks.

Combat is, at least when it comes to bosses with more than 5 people involved, completely chaotic and due to overloaded special effects totally random. Heck, normal combat is boring as hell with the darn same mechanics as in every effing mmo since the beginning of time. Don't even start telling me it's better because of the evasion rolls or the non tabbing of targets.

Quests are more generic than anything. Destroy 10 of these, so i can make 5 of these. Oh and kill 7 of these while you're at it. Seriously? Helping farmers with some worms? Sounds familiar? GW1? Every other MMO? Or go there, take the bucket and feed my cow. You're shitting me. Not even talking about the class/race storyline. GW1 storyline was great, GW2 is, to be bland, nothing special.

Sure you might think differently but that's how i feel about the game currently. Especially combat pisses me off with it's completely overused special effects and really kind of boring weapon mechanics.

My largest gripe about this game is it fails pretty bad at the only thing I really care about, WvW. The servers/code cannot handle large amounts of players fighting. The amount of lag and player culling in large fights is atrocious. Hey look; I'm fighting a guy on the side of the battle 1v1. Oh wait, the servers are so bog downed that 50 enemy players just appear out of thin air right on top of you. My guild-mates all say the same thing and it's a bit demotivating.

The game basically boils down to who can mass the most people in one spot. very little strategy involved.

My largest gripe about this game is it fails pretty bad at the only thing I really care about, WvW. The servers/code cannot handle large amounts of players fighting. The amount of lag and player culling in large fights is atrocious. Hey look; I'm fighting a guy on the side of the battle 1v1. Oh wait, the servers are so bog downed that 50 enemy players just appear out of thin air right on top of you. My guild-mates all say the same thing and it's a bit demotivating.

The game basically boils down to who can mass the most people in one spot. very little strategy involved.

Aion used to suffer from the same problem then they fixed it. Don't know if Arenanet is going to come up with a solution or not.

Aion used to suffer from the same problem then they fixed it. Don't know if Arenanet is going to come up with a solution or not.

I'm sure they will, I saw a post over on the official forums that they've been spending weekends (on top of the regular work weeks...) fixing stuff and coding non stop, so I'm sure it's in the works. It'll take time though, like anything else.

Back to gameplay, I've been seriously considering rolling a ranger. I want to be legolulz...so bad. I want a damn bow. Anyone that can comment whether or not I should stick to short bows or long bows for PvE leveling? From what I've gathered here, long bows do less damage, but you get more space between you and the enemy, and short bows are the opposite...what about melee weapons? Preferred ones? Generic/best ability combinations for both short/long?

Appreciate it. :)

Well, I _was_ digging this game until today. Warning to anyone putting a lot of time into GW2 - if your account gets hacked you are basically SOL. They will restore your username/password, but your toons cannot be restored. I had spent 2+ weeks farming food to power level cooking. Every single item in my bank, in my collections, on my toon - gone. And ANET sent me an email saying sorry we are unable to restore your items.
I've been playing online games for nearly a decade. This is the first time I've ever been hacked, so I don't believe that my passwords or habits are accountable. Their security blows and now I've lost all the time I put into the game. Needless to say, I won't be playing it anymore.

That's too bad, next time use a more secure password. Can't blame anyone but yourself for this. Hackers suck though.

That's too bad, next time use a more secure password. Can't blame anyone but yourself for this. Hackers suck though.

So he got hacked (I agree, it happens...), and they refuse to restore his shit, it's 100% futile to help him then? How hard can it be to give him his stuff back? He bought the game, he should get some support. "Sorry" isn't good enough. Fuck that. If I get hacked, I'm taking a shit in the box and sending that over to them, and throwing a label on it that says "Sorry". :rolleyes:

Back to gameplay, I've been seriously considering rolling a ranger. I want to be legolulz...so bad. I want a damn bow. Anyone that can comment whether or not I should stick to short bows or long bows for PvE leveling? From what I've gathered here, long bows do less damage, but you get more space between you and the enemy, and short bows are the opposite...what about melee weapons? Preferred ones? Generic/best ability combinations for both short/long?

Shortbow does more consistent dps. Longbow has higher burst potential with the "3" skill followed by rapid fire. Shortbow also has more "utility" with a snare, an evasion, and an interrupt daze.

If you really want to get into the maths, hop over to the mists with this information in mind:
1) Skill damage is linear with Power. I.E. change your power ~3 or more times and jot down the damage values on the tooltips. Then do a linear regression (technically a line only needs 2 points, but there's rounding going on in the tooltips).
2) Based on this knowledge, calculate some skill damage values for LB/SB and compare their expected DPS (after you time the weapon speeds). I believe the SB should come out on top due to sheer attack speed and the bleeding proc etc.

Gameplay wise, I prefer the SB. Rapid fire is a channeled ability and would get interrupted if you need to dodge etc. It's also annoying when parts of it flat out miss. SB is also way more versatile for kiting etc.

Theoretically, SB would work well with a Rampager (Power + Precision(main) + Condition damage) build coupled with traps, but I personally believe Anet made Berserker (Power(main) + Precision + Critical Damage) too overpowered. Just doing the maths as mentioned before, a SB auto attack assuming you're always shooting from the behind the target actually favors berserker.

Basically, this translates to: Shortbow auto attack which features a condition on each hit is better when stacking power+precision+crit damage than stacking power+precision+condition damage

This is somehow baffling to me and basically points me to Anet failing at Maths. All of the WvWvW videos showing people blowing others up for 10k+ criticals also points to this. Also, the fact that only recently did Anet introduce a neutered version of rampager + berserker into sPvP does one finally realize that indeed these damage heavy specs are likely too over the top.

Lastly, just inspecting the maths you can see where berserker is likely OP:

1) Skill damage is linear with power. This seems contrary to what I had believed before where there was a multiplier based on total attack (power + weapon attack) divided by defender defense. This is not true apparently according to my tests. The fact that skill damage is linear to Power means that previously when comparing 2700 attack vs. 2000 attack you'd think it was a 35% increase, but it's actually something like a 60% increase. So power is... over-powered to a degree.

2) The berserker jewels on your "accessory" slots are disproportionately good. They give +3% critical damage each. This is statistically on par with your leg armor while the rest of the trinket gives about 1/2 the other stats on your leg armor. So basically the crit damage stat on the jewel is insanely over budgeted.

All this said, I'm running a hybrid rampager + berserker item set for my SB + trap ranger. Rampager is still in theory better for my ranger due to the trap heavy build. But I can't pass up some optimization with the overbudgeted berserker jewels.

In theory, Longbow might scale better with berserker due to the lack of condition damage on any of its skills. Due to the nature of berserker right now, LB may likely beat SB with a full berserker set (that you unfortunately can't really test in the Mist but you can theorycraft with the aforementioned math).

Last edited:
In GW1, I made something like 25 different characters over the course of its life. I have no idea why, but I kept on deleting and remaking characters just to play through the missions again with a slightly different build/class combo. It's a tad strange looking back at it now.

Not strange at all man, I did the same thing, it was just a lot of fun to see what different classes and secondaries combinations would do. I had two GW accounts because I needed more character slots and in the first few years, they didn't offer additional character slots for purchase so I had to run two accounts, including all the expansions for each account. Expensive but I loved the game THAT much. This one, not so much. I did buy 3 additional character slots because I wanted one of each class to play though, as I did in the original GW.

So he got hacked (I agree, it happens...), and they refuse to restore his shit, it's 100% futile to help him then? How hard can it be to give him his stuff back? He bought the game, he should get some support. "Sorry" isn't good enough. Fuck that. If I get hacked, I'm taking a shit in the box and sending that over to them, and throwing a label on it that says "Sorry". :rolleyes:

They can't give him his stuff back because they can't confirm what he had and at what time. Its not fair to the legit players if someone says I had all this elite stuff and I want it back because my account was hacked. They don't roll back individual players like that. Its been that way since the original GW. My brother's account was hacked and all of this high end stuff was stolen sold for gold then transferred to someone elses account, when he got it back, all he had was his level 20 characters stripped clean.

My suggestion to you is to make sure your password is very secure as well as your PC itself.

Shortbow does more consistent dps. Longbow has higher burst potential with the "3" skill followed by rapid fire. Shortbow also has more "utility" with a snare, an evasion, and an interrupt daze.

If you really want to get into the maths, hop over to the mists with this information in mind:
1) Skill damage is linear with Power. I.E. change your power ~3 or more times and jot down the damage values on the tooltips. Then do a linear regression (technically a line only needs 2 points, but there's rounding going on in the tooltips).
2) Based on this knowledge, calculate some skill damage values for LB/SB and compare their expected DPS (after you time the weapon speeds). I believe the SB should come out on top due to sheer attack speed and the bleeding proc etc.

Gameplay wise, I prefer the SB. Rapid fire is a channeled ability and would get interrupted if you need to dodge etc. It's also annoying when parts of it flat out miss. SB is also way more versatile for kiting etc.

Theoretically, SB would work well with a Rampager (Power + Precision(main) + Condition damage) build coupled with traps, but I personally believe Anet made Berserker (Power(main) + Precision + Critical Damage) too overpowered. Just doing the maths as mentioned before, a SB auto attack assuming you're always shooting from the behind the target actually favors berserker.

Basically, this translates to: Shortbow auto attack which features a condition on each hit is better when stacking power+precision+crit damage than stacking power+precision+condition damage

This is somehow baffling to me and basically points me to Anet failing at Maths. All of the WvWvW videos showing people blowing others up for 10k+ criticals also points to this. Also, the fact that only recently did Anet introduce a neutered version of rampager + berserker into sPvP does one finally realize that indeed these damage heavy specs are likely too over the top.

Lastly, just inspecting the maths you can see where berserker is likely OP:

1) Skill damage is linear with power. This seems contrary to what I had believed before where there was a multiplier based on total attack (power + weapon attack) divided by defender defense. This is not true apparently according to my tests. The fact that skill damage is linear to Power means that previously when comparing 2700 attack vs. 2000 attack you'd think it was a 35% increase, but it's actually something like a 60% increase. So power is... over-powered to a degree.

2) The berserker jewels on your "accessory" slots are disproportionately good. They give +3% critical damage each. This is statistically on par with your leg armor while the rest of the trinket gives about 1/2 the other stats on your leg armor. So basically the crit damage stat on the jewel is insanely over budgeted.

All this said, I'm running a hybrid rampager + berserker item set for my SB + trap ranger. Rampager is still in theory better for my ranger due to the trap heavy build. But I can't pass up some optimization with the overbudgeted berserker jewels.

In theory, Longbow might scale better with berserker due to the lack of condition damage on any of its skills. Due to the nature of berserker right now, LB may likely beat SB with a full berserker set (that you unfortunately can't really test in the Mist but you can theorycraft with the aforementioned math).

Wow, thanks for that. I'm not a big math guy (not since WoW anyway), but I am interested in how their stats work in this game. It's interesting how the not stacking of conditions works. I think I'd prefer the SB based play style over the LB as well, seems more like my cup of tea.

They can't give him his stuff back because they can't confirm what he had and at what time. Its not fair to the legit players if someone says I had all this elite stuff and I want it back because my account was hacked. They don't roll back individual players like that. Its been that way since the original GW. My brother's account was hacked and all of this high end stuff was stolen sold for gold then transferred to someone elses account, when he got it back, all he had was his level 20 characters stripped clean.

My suggestion to you is to make sure your password is very secure as well as your PC itself.

That's so ridiculous, it's infuriating. I've had friends in WoW (yeah, back to that game again :eek:) get hacked and had countless individual items sold/sold, and they've gotten everything back piece by piece as it was prior to the intrusion. Just seems lame. :(

I'm sure they will, I saw a post over on the official forums that they've been spending weekends (on top of the regular work weeks...) fixing stuff and coding non stop, so I'm sure it's in the works. It'll take time though, like anything else.

Appreciate it. :)

I prefer shortbow over long bow, my Ranger is level 32 right now. Shortbow does a lot of damage while being able to kite.

Back