The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I'm sure they will, I saw a post over on the official forums that they've been spending weekends (on top of the regular work weeks...) fixing stuff and coding non stop, so I'm sure it's in the works. It'll take time though, like anything else.

Back to gameplay, I've been seriously considering rolling a ranger. I want to be legolulz...so bad. I want a damn bow. Anyone that can comment whether or not I should stick to short bows or long bows for PvE leveling? From what I've gathered here, long bows do less damage, but you get more space between you and the enemy, and short bows are the opposite...what about melee weapons? Preferred ones? Generic/best ability combinations for both short/long?

Appreciate it. :)

I have a level 80 ranger. I use both bows. Long bow does about the same amount of damage. The skills are just slower. Both my bows are level 80 exotics. I use my shortbow primarily. I switch to longbow in the following situations.

1. AoE with the number 5 ability. Great for Dynamic Events when you need to tag stuff and when AoE is needed in general.

2. I need space from a mob. Use the ability to push a mob back.

3. Barrage for good damage while short bow abilities on on cooldown.

Axe/Warhorn is another combo I sometimes use instead of longbow. I generally use whatever I find fun at the time. That's the beauty of it. They're both viable as long as you're not anal about min/maxing all the time. Just play what's fun.

I use my short bow probably 80% of the time. I still love the sound it makes when you're shooting.
 
For the record, Anet really needs to get a handle on the bots in this game, just about every DE area I go to now has a few bots patrolling. They're usually easy to spot, usually Rangers with a pet, and they have some stupid name like Agbyl, Bgbyl, Cgbyl, Dgbyl, etc... and there will be a few of them not doing anything but running set routes and attacking enemies as they come across those paths. I've reported a ton of them already but I'm not going to enjoy the game if I have to continue to stop playing and report them constantly.
 
For the record, Anet really needs to get a handle on the bots in this game, just about every DE area I go to now has a few bots patrolling. They're usually easy to spot, usually Rangers with a pet, and they have some stupid name like Agbyl, Bgbyl, Cgbyl, Dgbyl, etc... and there will be a few of them not doing anything but running set routes and attacking enemies as they come across those paths. I've reported a ton of them already but I'm not going to enjoy the game if I have to continue to stop playing and report them constantly.

So just keep playing then, you've reported a lot already, that's great, but you don't have to let it affect you personally.
 
For the record, Anet really needs to get a handle on the bots in this game, just about every DE area I go to now has a few bots patrolling. They're usually easy to spot, usually Rangers with a pet, and they have some stupid name like Agbyl, Bgbyl, Cgbyl, Dgbyl, etc... and there will be a few of them not doing anything but running set routes and attacking enemies as they come across those paths. I've reported a ton of them already but I'm not going to enjoy the game if I have to continue to stop playing and report them constantly.

Oh shit i saw like 5 rangers in a group yesterday and didn't think anything of it. They all had similar names so I thought it was just a bunch of friends forming a group, hahaha.
 
I have a level 80 ranger. I use both bows. Long bow does about the same amount of damage. The skills are just slower. Both my bows are level 80 exotics. I use my shortbow primarily. I switch to longbow in the following situations.

1. AoE with the number 5 ability. Great for Dynamic Events when you need to tag stuff and when AoE is needed in general.

2. I need space from a mob. Use the ability to push a mob back.

3. Barrage for good damage while short bow abilities on on cooldown.

Axe/Warhorn is another combo I sometimes use instead of longbow. I generally use whatever I find fun at the time. That's the beauty of it. They're both viable as long as you're not anal about min/maxing all the time. Just play what's fun.

I use my short bow probably 80% of the time. I still love the sound it makes when you're shooting.

I agree with this for the most part, and I dare say in my opinion Ranger is the easiest class to play in the game, even more than Warrior. While a Warrior is tough, they do get beat down by bosses sometimes while a Ranger rarely does due to the ranged weapons and high toughness and health.
 
Oh shit i saw like 5 rangers in a group yesterday and didn't think anything of it. They all had similar names so I thought it was just a bunch of friends forming a group, hahaha.

Naa, man they always have names that no real player would ever choose and so far it seems to be most common with Rangers, and they usually always have a bear pet.
 
Naa, man they always have names that no real player would ever choose and so far it seems to be most common with Rangers, and they usually always have a bear pet.

Yup, that's exactly what they had. I saw 5 bears and 5 rangers all with similar names.
 
Yup, that's exactly what they had. I saw 5 bears and 5 rangers all with similar names.

Report them, as annoying as it is, at least Anet made the report feature fairly easy to use and it automatically includes a screenshot with it, or you can take your own screenshot. It ruins the game with bots stealing real players loot.
 
Yup, that's exactly what they had. I saw 5 bears and 5 rangers all with similar names.

The problem is when there are ... many more than 5. They all seem to patrol around "neutral" heavy areas.

I was playing with a friend who on my recommendation started playing the game. She's generally having a good time and plays a Ranger. She of course picks a pet bear and names it after her RL teddy bear. Going along blissfully... then we happen upon literally an army of rangers with bear pets. She gets SUPER excited and wants to join them "Look at all the bearrrs!!"

Inside I was just like oh god no... she can't know the truth...

EDIT: Whaddya know. Right after I ranted about Berserker vs. Rampager (power vs. condition damage), I happened upon this thread on the forums: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/No-love-for-condition-builds

Although Anet hasn't really commented on condition builds in general, they're at least looking to fix the blatant issue with condition damage on "yellow objects".
 
Last edited:
That's too bad, next time use a more secure password. Can't blame anyone but yourself for this. Hackers suck though.


I see your reasoning here, but I think it's relevant that the email validation tool was broken when I bought the game. And, not only did they not acknowledge that it was broken, they didn't send out a notice that they had fixed it. I tried 4 times to validate my email so that any changes would be be sent to me for prior approval. 4 times the link they mailed me didn't work. My password was decent (8 chars, some non-alpha) but where Anet failed is
1) Broken email validation
2) No char restore. I know that other MMOs keep records of player characters for exactly this reason. Truth is I don't even know what my toon had, he had been stockpiling collectibles to power level crafting. I'm not asking for a bunch of elite stuff I didn't earn, just for my toon to be restored to where it was.

Anyway, whether you think it's my fault or not just be aware that unlike other games if you get hacked it is irreversible, At least I only wasted 3 weeks on this game, not a full year.
 
I see your reasoning here, but I think it's relevant that the email validation tool was broken when I bought the game. And, not only did they not acknowledge that it was broken, they didn't send out a notice that they had fixed it. I tried 4 times to validate my email so that any changes would be be sent to me for prior approval. 4 times the link they mailed me didn't work. My password was decent (8 chars, some non-alpha) but where Anet failed is
1) Broken email validation
2) No char restore. I know that other MMOs keep records of player characters for exactly this reason. Truth is I don't even know what my toon had, he had been stockpiling collectibles to power level crafting. I'm not asking for a bunch of elite stuff I didn't earn, just for my toon to be restored to where it was.

Anyway, whether you think it's my fault or not just be aware that unlike other games if you get hacked it is irreversible, At least I only wasted 3 weeks on this game, not a full year.

Well, if you were just looking for a reason to stop playing you found it. If you really loved the game, you would just keep on going with a more secure password and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Its not everyone's cup of tea, might not be yours, no sense dwelling on it, there are many good games out there.

I played the original GW almost daily for over 5 years and a little here and there over the last two years. I had two accounts and over that course of time, neither were ever hacked but I use very strong passwords. I did the same with GW 2, we'll see if that holds true again.
 
Where should I start with this game...?

I gave it as many tries as I could, I just cant stand it anymore.. The trading post is a joke, anything you put on there, you get undercut almost instantly so it's nearly impossible to make any money and that's when it actually works. I got to lvl 80, ran all of the dungeons (just a zerg fest), and there is really no point in doing anything in gw2 other than to get a new skin for your weapon or armor. About 20g can buy you full exotics with the top stats, then there's no point in doing anything anymore unless you want a new skin. Legendary weapons are just a gold farm costing around 800g for one and they are same stats and different skin. And the PVP sealed the deal for me. Just bad and the customer support is freaking terrible. I could probably type 2-3 pages, but I will just leave it at that.
 
Where should I start with this game...?

I gave it as many tries as I could, I just cant stand it anymore.. The trading post is a joke, anything you put on there, you get undercut almost instantly so it's nearly impossible to make any money and that's when it actually works. I got to lvl 80, ran all of the dungeons (just a zerg fest), and there is really no point in doing anything in gw2 other than to get a new skin for your weapon or armor. About 20g can buy you full exotics with the top stats, then there's no point in doing anything anymore unless you want a new skin. Legendary weapons are just a gold farm costing around 800g for one and they are same stats and different skin. And the PVP sealed the deal for me. Just bad and the customer support is freaking terrible. I could probably type 2-3 pages, but I will just leave it at that.

Fair enough, back to WoW for you then.
 
I want that sunrise sword so badddddd :( :(

Lvl 80 thief in full exotic armor and working on my lvl 63 guardian....would look so right with armor dyed in white/gold with that Sunrise sword....mmmmmm
 
Last edited:
Fair enough, back to WoW for you then.

Relax, he doesn't like the game, and he's stated his opinions, let's not get into another one of these debates that span 5+ pages of haters vs people who like the game vs people who have mixed feelings.
 
Why not? It's fun.

It's supposed to be a community...I get the joking and all that, everyone trolls a bit now and then, but when people are yelling at each other and throwing digital fists around, it kind of kills everything...
 
Relax, he doesn't like the game, and he's stated his opinions, let's not get into another one of these debates that span 5+ pages of haters vs people who like the game vs people who have mixed feelings.

I'm relaxed. I said fair enough. Could have said point taken. Bottom line is that there are complaints about the game, there are people who accept it and enjoy playing regardless and there are those that claim its a game breaker. I'm fine with either camp, if its not your cup of tea, find one that is.
 
It's supposed to be a community...I get the joking and all that, everyone trolls a bit now and then, but when people are yelling at each other and throwing digital fists around, it kind of kills everything...

I'm not fisting anyone. As popular as Borderlands and BL2 is, I don't care for those games. I'm not in the BL or BL2 threads proclaiming how much I hate them either. I just moved on to a game I do like.
 
Where should I start with this game...?

I gave it as many tries as I could, I just cant stand it anymore.. The trading post is a joke, anything you put on there, you get undercut almost instantly so it's nearly impossible to make any money and that's when it actually works.

I can fault GW2 for many things but not being able to make money on the TP is not one of them. I started with a paltry sum of silver and now have enough to do whatever I like in the game. While I realize that most people won't enjoy TP trading to the extent that I do, I also understand how many of the TP markets function.

About undercutting... it happens all the time... why do you think people go crazy about small price differences in $/gal for gasoline. I literally sell hundreds to thousands of items on TP every day and get undercut all the time but it doesn't matter because I know my items are priced appropriately and will sell (last I checked my sold items list was over 16,000 pages long). One significant time I got this wrong was when the silk market went from 34-38c to 24-28c. (I think ANet changed the salvage rate but could just be related to more players progressing into areas with drops that salvage into silk.) However, you take your lumps and move on.

If you want to use the TP to casually sell and get better pricing than the in-game merchant then I would recommend setting a price closer to the highest buyer rather than lowest seller. If there is no highest buyer then there really isn't a market for that item and you should shop sell through vendor. (This happens quite a bit with weapons and armor drops in game because the merchant values can be higher than the salvage value.)
 
Last edited:
If you really loved the game, you would just keep on going with a more secure password and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Its not everyone's cup of tea, might not be yours, no sense dwelling on it, there are many good games out there.

I did really enjoy the game, and in the event that they
1) deploy authenticators like the one I use for Blizzard games
2) enable character restoration

I'm sure that I'll play it again. It was easily the most fun game I've picked up in years.

I played the original GW almost daily for over 5 years and a little here and there over the last two years. I had two accounts and over that course of time, neither were ever hacked but I use very strong passwords. I did the same with GW 2, we'll see if that holds true again.

I use strong passwords too, so one more bit of advice (to everyone not just you). Use a unique password for this game. I have 2-3 (regularly changed) diff passwords I use for forums games etc and I used one of those for GW2. If I had any idea that they couldn't restore chars I would have made a new password. Also if their email validation tool is actually working now, use it - that way you will have to confirm changes to your account. Again, my Steam acct, my Blizzard acct, all of these handle hackers with simple measures like this so I naively expected Arena to do the same. I agree that it's my own fault for not making sure before I started playing. As they say, fool me once ...
 
No, use a unique email account and then a strong password to go along with that unique email account. I use a program like keepass to use 16 digit strong passwords as a minimum.
 
No, use a unique email account and then a strong password to go along with that unique email account. I use a program like keepass to use 16 digit strong passwords as a minimum.

I own over 700 games if you take into account Steam, Origin, whatever else. If I made a new email address for every game or publisher I'd just /wrists.

:)

On another note Arenanet is doing Google authentication soon.
 
Where should I start with this game...?

I gave it as many tries as I could, I just cant stand it anymore.. I got to lvl 80, ran all of the dungeons (just a zerg fest), and there is really no point in doing anything in gw2 other than to get a new skin for your weapon or armor.

Fair enough, but having reached 80 you can't claim you didn't get some decent hours out of a game that was a one-time purchase price and no sub. Look on the bright side, it was probably better value for money than most games.

last I checked my sold items list was over 16,000 pages long

:eek:

That's some impressive trading.
 
Fair enough, but having reached 80 you can't claim you didn't get some decent hours out of a game that was a one-time purchase price and no sub. Look on the bright side, it was probably better value for money than most games.

Lot of value, WwW has some fun moments, not much for pve or pvp alone, but WwW with tactics and strategy is fun and as always a game is what you make it to be.:)
 
I did really enjoy the game, and in the event that they
1) deploy authenticators like the one I use for Blizzard games
2) enable character restoration

I'm sure that I'll play it again. It was easily the most fun game I've picked up in years.



I use strong passwords too, so one more bit of advice (to everyone not just you). Use a unique password for this game. I have 2-3 (regularly changed) diff passwords I use for forums games etc and I used one of those for GW2. If I had any idea that they couldn't restore chars I would have made a new password. Also if their email validation tool is actually working now, use it - that way you will have to confirm changes to your account. Again, my Steam acct, my Blizzard acct, all of these handle hackers with simple measures like this so I naively expected Arena to do the same. I agree that it's my own fault for not making sure before I started playing. As they say, fool me once ...

At least you learned from it and are handling it maturely, Most people just get pissy and spam every known forum on the net about how the world and Anet has mistreated them. I hope you don't give up on the game, it certainly has enough content to give your money's worth many times over, even if its not perfect.
 
So I've been playing as an engineer and wanted to ask other engineers a question. I can use 3 skill points to get a healing turrent. Has anybody used this?
 
So I've been playing as an engineer and wanted to ask other engineers a question. I can use 3 skill points to get a healing turrent. Has anybody used this?

The healing turret is alright, but my biggest gripe with it (and all turrets) is that the cooldown doesn't start until the turret is actually dead or you force it to explode. Conceptually it's just a little wonky since I value the cooldown of my heal quite a bit.
 
So I've been playing as an engineer and wanted to ask other engineers a question. I can use 3 skill points to get a healing turrent. Has anybody used this?

If you are using a mainly turret build then yes I would go for it. In fact even if you aren't I would still go for it. It's handy in Pve as mobs attack it which can save you in some fights.

The only build that I would not get the healing turret is if I was using a mostly Elixir's.
 
Thanks for the feedback. I also have a question about the Smoke and Fire guild and the HardForum group. Are these similar? I know what a guild is but Bowhunter was refering to a group in another thread and did not know what he ment.
 
Thanks for the feedback. I also have a question about the Smoke and Fire guild and the HardForum group. Are these similar? I know what a guild is but Bowhunter was refering to a group in another thread and did not know what he ment.

Don't think they are, I think just a good number of us went to Borlis Pass and into the SnF guild. Lot of us are still here (actually no one left :D).
 
Its hard to get into game lately due to family and work but I am still in Borliss Pass and in the SAF guild :)
 
Who do I talk to for an invite? I happen to be on the same server. :D I planned it that way.
 
I've almost quit playing entirely. I don't have time to log and wait in W3 queues for hours. It's a shame, really.
 
I've almost quit playing entirely. I don't have time to log and wait in W3 queues for hours. It's a shame, really.

yeah the queues are annoying thats for sure.


havent played anything really and guild wars 2 is partly at fault. terrible performance. something in my PC is broken
 
I personally can't bring myself to play anymore. I hit 80, ran some exp dungeons, did some pvp, etc. However, I still just feel like theres no point to the endgame. One of the biggest parts of an mmo is a constant feeling of progression, and GW2 doesn't have that at max level. Unless you really care about item skins.

I never thought I'd be saying this while I was leveling in GW2, but I actually purchased MoP today.
 
The game's entertaining enough for me to be leveling basically 2 alts at the same time (playing with different people). Sadly though, the end game reward system is a bit off putting for me to spend a lot of time on my 80. There is a distinct disconnect with how they designed it. To put it simply, there are N things to do at 80 but only 1 of those things will reward you with what you want so the other N-1 things are now useless reward wise.

WvWvW has its own issues. When it works, it works damn well and I had a lot of fun. However, there are a lot of lopsided matchups which result in the equivalent of a week-long DoTA fountain camp.
 
The game's entertaining enough for me to be leveling basically 2 alts at the same time (playing with different people). Sadly though, the end game reward system is a bit off putting for me to spend a lot of time on my 80. There is a distinct disconnect with how they designed it. To put it simply, there are N things to do at 80 but only 1 of those things will reward you with what you want so the other N-1 things are now useless reward wise.

WvWvW has its own issues. When it works, it works damn well and I had a lot of fun. However, there are a lot of lopsided matchups which result in the equivalent of a week-long DoTA fountain camp.

Perfectly said.
 
I have been having a lot of fun with this game but I am concerned about end game. I dont want to hit a brick wall when I am 80. Outside of armor skins, what is there to look forward to? On the plus side, ive already justified my 60.00 purchase with the journey to 80.
 
I never thought I'd be saying this while I was leveling in GW2, but I actually purchased MoP today.

i got one for ya...i've been thinking about LOTRO..i played it for a few weeks...the best zone design i've seen in a game...gw2 has TOO MANY mobs...i'm really getting sick of these games making it 'whack a mole' just running through a zone

in LOTRO, i could ride on my horse and actually enjoy the landscape without being attacked every 3 gallops..theres no way in gw2..i have to go to a city just to get away from constant mobs..and don't get me started on the mob density in ORR..omfg
 
Back
Top