The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

So engineer class is fun. Just don't farm events with it. I just got banned for "using a third-party program". I was leveling up in one spot all day just planting turrets down every 20 minutes or so and doing no other actions. I was doing that while working from my computer at home.

You were not moving, just physically tapping a key every 20ish minutes to plop a turret down? I would think you're a bot as well just observing that with a key-macro program. If you were running around, tapping attack buttons and plopping them down I bet you would of been ignored.

Looks like support just reset my account, we shall see tonight if I can log back in. Hopefully its cleaned up!

You were not moving, just physically tapping a key every 20ish minutes to plop a turret down? I would think you're a bot as well just observing that with a key-macro program. If you were running around, tapping attack buttons and plopping them down I bet you would of been ignored.

Exactly. And add in the fact that he's not paying attention and wouldn't have responded to tells in-game from people or GMs and it's obvious how people would have thought he was botting. But hey, plopping defenses down is perfectly legit in Dungeon Defenders (a completely different genre altogether) so it must be fine for people to AFK kill things in an MMO, right?

BTW for those who aren't trolling this thread like crazy...any word on whether the trading post will be back up soon? I'm seriously getting sick of not having any kind of functional trading mechanism.

Exactly. And add in the fact that he's not paying attention and wouldn't have responded to tells in-game from people or GMs and it's obvious how people would have thought he was botting. But hey, plopping defenses down is perfectly legit in Dungeon Defenders (a completely different genre altogether) so it must be fine for people to AFK kill things in an MMO, right?

BTW for those who aren't trolling this thread like crazy...any word on whether the trading post will be back up soon? I'm seriously getting sick of not having any kind of functional trading mechanism.

It was up for me last night, just long enough to sell one item for 18c. Then i went to sell everything else and it was down :p

I never even said a thing about dungeon defenders. I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Then dont play. Anet will be just fine without you.

If it's going to end up full of kindergarten level whining that some of you guys do I probably won't last long. As if I care how a company that bans their customers without warning or any proof ends up.

Follow the rules and they wont do anything to you. Really is that simple. Claiming innocent victim is the problem with everything in society these days. Most people arent man enough to just be responsible for their own actions.

I don't do any of these things anyway. I just think that bans without warning really paint ArenaNet in a negative light. Another problem with society is that gaming companies can get away with anything they want and the consumers normally have no recourse.

Follow the rules and they wont do anything to you. Really is that simple. Claiming innocent victim is the problem with everything in society these days. Most people arent man enough to just be responsible for their own actions.

No, the problem with society today is total faith in authority. "Sure, take my personal information! I've got nothing to hide, therefore I have nothing to fear! You get them terrorists!" I've emphasized the complete logical failure in that line of thinking.

It's up to the citizen to call the government on its bullshit, and, if necessary, to rebel against it to protect their rights. The gamer/developer relationship is similar in some ways.

...and welcome to the ignore list.

a big LOL at anyone who feels the need to tell someone they're reporting or ignoring them.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I used to kill shit with my pet + auto attack on a WoW huntard. It's the best way to farm because you can do other shit.

From the outside, i still don't understand why ANet is going all ban-nazi on its userbase.

If it's going to end up full of kindergarten level whining that some of you guys do I probably won't last long. As if I care how a company that bans their customers without warning or any proof ends up.

I don't do any of these things anyway. I just think that bans without warning really paint ArenaNet in a negative light. Another problem with society is that gaming companies can get away with anything they want and the consumers normally have no recourse.

You know that EULA that you agree to that says don't exploit or use third party programs that is your warning. If you feel your banned without cause email support that is your recourse.

a big LOL at anyone who feels the need to tell someone they're reporting or ignoring them.

Thanks for your input.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I used to kill shit with my pet + auto attack on a WoW huntard. It's the best way to farm because you can do other shit.

Clearly not the same thing as the given example. Maybe a closer analogy would be if you put your pet on aggressive and alt-tabbed while he killed stuff for you with absolutely no interaction from you at all.

From the outside, i still don't understand why ANet is going all ban-nazi on its userbase.

They're being more strict with some things than I think is reasonable, but issuing a temp ban for advertising exploits is not being a ban-nazi. And issuing one for demonstrating clear bot-like behavior is definitely not.

LOL as well...totally agree.

There is nothing wrong per say, it's not what the game developers had in mind, and thus is considered an exploit.

Now look at it from the GM point of view. That character is not moving, drops new turrets every 20 minutes or so, has been there for 6 hours...is it a bot? Dunno, let me ask it something? "Hello player X, I've noticed you are not moving are you there?" *crickets* "Player x are you there?" *crickets*

I'd call it a bot, would you?

That is what this whole topic boils down to. By admission the player said he dropped turrets every 20 minutes or so and did nothing else in game since he was "working from home". Speaking of working from home, don't screw it up for the rest of us that occasionally need to by grinding in game instead of working....

forgot my password when I loaded it onto laptop .. went to desktop to check how many characters and it wiped the password field I had saved. Password reset page is still not working since yesterday. I guess I'll email them. Just aggravating that its down so long. I figured I'd check mid-day today and it would be back up.

That's only because WoW's Warden was smart enough to know that you were clicking/pressing the pet attack and not doing it with something automated. I'm willing to bet ArenaNet just has logs to go off from. Also since the game launched treat it like a highway on a long weekend; lots more cops looking for speeders.

forgot my password when I loaded it onto laptop .. went to desktop to check how many characters and it wiped the password field I had saved. Password reset page is still not working since yesterday. I guess I'll email them. Just aggravating that its down so long. I figured I'd check mid-day today and it would be back up.

They took down the password reset due to scamming abuse. You have to email them at the moment. (this is according to reddit)

They took down the password reset due to scamming abuse. You have to email them at the moment. (this is according to reddit)

Yup. Hackers are using the password reset tool to basically identify Guild Wars 2 account names. Once they have that, they have part of the puzzle. One running theory on Reddit is that hackers that previously hacked Battle.Net accounts are using password lists they collected from those incidents to try to break into GW2 accounts once they've identified them.

That's only because WoW's Warden was smart enough to know that you were clicking/pressing the pet attack and not doing it with something automated. I'm willing to bet ArenaNet just has logs to go off from. Also since the game launched treat it like a highway on a long weekend; lots more cops looking for speeders.

Actually, the better analogy might be that there's a shit load of speeders and the cops don't have enough time to listen to each individual sob story and figure out who's the bullshitter and who isn't.

I can't wait until the official GW2 forums open. The way they are banning in the game, I suspect posting something not so rosy and happy about the game will bring out the banhammer. I'm only waiting to see if a forum ban will ban you from the game like EA does.

Actually, the better analogy might be that there's a shit load of speeders and the cops don't have enough time to listen to each individual sob story and figure out who's the bullshitter and who isn't.

I'd arrest people going 2 Mph over the limit. Why? Because I can. Mostly though because a giant percentage of people are liars, deceivers, etc. etc.

Off topic I know, but BiH115 did you finish Sleeping Dogs yet? Thinking of finishing some of my old titles before I decide whether to give this game a go again.

Off topic I know, but BiH115 did you finish Sleeping Dogs yet? Thinking of finishing some of my old titles before I decide whether to give this game a go again.

Playing it in between GW2 sessions, I'm not sure how far in I am, at least a few hours. I'm pretty deep into it I'd say. Just do what I do and do a bit of both, it's like having two cakes.

Which is far from fair to those legit players who got banned. That'd be my fear, i have never botted but like clever account names, will talk trash to idiots, and will sometimes passively farm. I have a feeling i'd get banned.

Which is far from fair to those legit players who got banned. That'd be my fear, i have never botted but like clever account names, will talk trash to idiots, and will sometimes passively farm. I have a feeling i'd get banned.

You'd fit Arenanet's definition of an undesirable pretty quickly I suspect as you've covered every reason they have banned people to this point. I can't wait to see a 'real" exploit like drag a dragon to some guards so they can kill it, bug the dragon out so it won't attack back, or slip through the wall to grab the orb in pvp without taking the keep.

What would be the punishment for that?

What would be the punishment for that?

Probably a perma ban. They already got your 60 bucks, with no subscriptions they don't care who they ban. In fact, it may net them more profit because there's a chance they'll buy the game again to keep playing.

why does this make 0 sense to me? :confused: I'd fail the bot test too lol

I don't think it's meant to make any sense, just to get an answer probably. The guy who answered it answered it "wrong" twice.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread. [H] has really gone downhill with the bitching and moaning in general. Every game is met with an inane amount of grumbling. PC Gaming forum should be renamed to PC Complaining.

I don't think it's meant to make any sense, just to get an answer probably. The guy who answered it answered it "wrong" twice.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread. [H] has really gone downhill with the bitching and moaning in general. Every game is met with an inane amount of grumbling. PC Gaming forum should be renamed to PC Complaining.

Ahh. If only people could talk about the pros and cons of a game without getting in a pissing match...

There's nothing wrong with complaints about games, it's when people go downhill into mud-slinging stupidity instead of arguing the points and staying on the actual topic at all, that it becomes not worth reading anymore. People seem to be acting as though their health and livelihood depends on "DEFEND THE HONOR OF (favorite game)!!!!!" lately, it's just outright sad.

Sure. As long as we discuss ACTUAL pros and cons...ACTUAL problems...like the overflow system causing problems for people partying up with their friends. Or the trading post STILL being down. Or the recent arbitrary karma price hike of level 40 cultural weapons (effectively, leveling gear) that pretty much completely guaranteed they won't be viable euqipment to purchase except later on as gear to use transmutation items on. Or the overdone particle effects. I'm fine with honest criticism...if it's actually honest.

Sure. As long as we discuss ACTUAL pros and cons...ACTUAL problems...like the overflow system causing problems for people partying up with their friends. Or the trading post STILL being down. Or the recent arbitrary karma price hike of level 40 cultural weapons (effectively, leveling gear) that pretty much completely guaranteed they won't be viable euqipment to purchase except later on as gear to use transmutation items on. Or the overdone particle effects. I'm fine with honest criticism...if it's actually honest.

There you go again, "Only my points are valid because I say so! No, your complaint about X is ridiculous, shut up troll! Stop being dishonest!".

Probably a perma ban. They already got your 60 bucks, with no subscriptions they don't care who they ban. In fact, it may net them more profit because there's a chance they'll buy the game again to keep playing.

They need to keep players in the game to sell expansions and cash shop items. Banning people does them no good for future revenue.

They are banning assholes and botters which makes the game better for everyone left. And apparently people afking their way through levelling.

They need to keep players in the game to sell expansions and cash shop items. Banning people does them no good for future revenue.

Sure it does, just like with people who buy new Call of Duty keys because they're so rabidly in love with a game and won't say "no" even if they're being treated absurdly.

Sure it does, just like with people who buy new Call of Duty keys because they're so rabidly in love with a game and won't say "no" even if they're being treated absurdly.

Activision would rather sell people those $15 content packs instead of crossing their fingers and praying a banned person buys another copy of the game.

I'm curious where this image came from. That dialog box is from a town where you help some circus acts. A man shapeshifts into a moa, and they do a reshuffling act. That dialog is the prompt for it.

I'm not sure if I missed the joke if there is one here..

Look carefully at the pic, looks like a timer at the top above the text. I am betting that you have until the timer expires to respond with any answer and if you don't respond in that time they consider you botting. Just a guess.

You really don't see the ridiculousness of his argument? How over the last several pages he's completely ignored facts that contradict his positions and simply countered with idiotic claims, complete straw men, and non-sequiturs, and you wonder why I finally get tired of it and add him to ignore? This isn't Dungeon Defenders. It's not a damn tower defense game. What is with some of you going full retard right now?

Well of course it's not Dungeon Defenders, but it's what you chose to focus on when you ignored him. I play GW2 and have been enjoying it, but I'm not quite understanding what the issue is with plopping down a turret, letting it kill crap, rise-lather-repeat. He's not doing an area denial since everyone gets experience/loot regardless of who gets the first shot/hit in. Where is it ruining the experience of others?

Back