The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

i agree yet i only got to level 11 on my thief i felt like a paper doll.

I think having multiple weapon sets can make certain situations more approachable. For instance with a thief, if you had your melee set up, and a bow setup, you could switch between the two on the fly. If you are soloing you could open with the 2 bow bomb shots (explosive arrow/choking gas) and then close in with melee and they would already have some damage done to them. I found that started ranged and doing as much damage as I could before the mob got to me and then switching over to melee weapons worked pretty well. I also did some dual pistol kiting when I was soloing which worked pretty well also, assuming you are fighting melee mobs. It's nice that you can actually kite in GW2 and mobs don't run faster than you, so you can easily circle strafe around and avoid getting hit at all when the mobs are melee.

I think having multiple weapon sets can make certain situations more approachable. For instance with a thief, if you had your melee set up, and a bow setup, you could switch between the two on the fly. If you are soloing you could open with the 2 bow bomb shots (explosive arrow/choking gas) and then close in with melee and they would already have some damage done to them. I found that started ranged and doing as much damage as I could before the mob got to me and then switching over to melee weapons worked pretty well. I also did some dual pistol kiting when I was soloing which worked pretty well also, assuming you are fighting melee mobs. It's nice that you can actually kite in GW2 and mobs don't run faster than you, so you can easily circle strafe around and avoid getting hit at all when the mobs are melee.

Yes the thief is squishy if you try to stand there toe to toe with mobs. You shouldn't be doing that though...

Melee + Dual Pistol swapping is actually a bit OP. My level 12 thief was able to kite and kill Vetern mobs 2 and 3 levels above it.

Sword/Dagger + Pistols and certain talents = making players angry in WvW...shadowstepping everywhere like a freaking boss.

Indeed, short bow has a leap away and a 2s cripple that works great, along with the throwing dagger skill you get with dual-wielded daggers that cripples for 5s. Severely underrated, essential for kiting, and damn near required for runners in PvP.

Soloing mobs wasn't my issue, it's when you are doing a world event, you are required to use a bow to fight bosses. There is no way around that as a theif, if you use a sword+dagger combo, you will die in 1 hit, that's what has me rather sad, I think you should be able to shadowstep in toss down a combo and step out, wait for initiative to regen and repeat. I found myself shadowstep in, start a combo and BOOM Fight for your life. Dodging AOE spells on the outside is kind of fun but not how I expect to play a theif all the time.

The shortbow and cripple attack work great 1 on 1...even on main quest lines that say we recommend you are this level....however that wolf havroun quest where has a spell that locks you in place for 5s/that ice spell that does 95% life damage. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, kite him and move around but the instant he leaves the cave he goes back in and regens full life, so you're stuck in a small area where you are forced to get hit.

I do look forward to this game a lot though, most of the guys I played with 14 years ago are going to play it. As a parent with a 2 year old I also look forward to being able to play whenever and be able to compete with the 16 year olds that wonder what the orange thing in the sky is ;) It's just an all around good concept for all ages of game lovers, and the world events are rather fun too, forces everyone into a common goal, and then you can all go destroy some people in WvW. Plus the WvW is a great idea as it's against many other servers :D
The only thing I didn't like about BWE was that I picked a server with "High" pop and it was dead at 12:00am MST.

Was there somewhere to buy the accessory items in the Heart of the Mists? I couldn't find any, just replacement amulets, weapons, and sigils (for the weapons)... I only had 14% crit on my mesmer and I think gimped stats :eek: but still was doing really, really well with it :D, towards the end I was winning 1on1's virtually always and 2on1's most of the time. I played my Mesmer as ~22k hp and a clone-factory type build... loved it more the more I played it.

Naw, unfortunately not haha. I was searching high and low for them too. Typo on my part, im not sure if my power for those chars were that high but getting 1k-2k crits on defaulta attack were very common. My mesmer had around 19k hp as well.

Mesmer overall is intriguing, would like to see what they end up doing to it. As it is, the shattering #system could be improved :)

So, i'm curious. How is the pvp? Do you find it fun?

Whenever i watch videos of it, it looks boring actually--but i have a feeling i'd think the same thing if i was watching wow pvp and hadn't played wow.

The pve in gw2, however, looks pretty sweet.

it's actually quite fun. you can have stretches of boredom in WvW if you're alone and away from the action. long travel times don't suit today's mmo crowd.

it's actually quite fun. you can have stretches of boredom in WvW if you're alone and away from the action. long travel times don't suit today's mmo crowd.

I don't mind it, having run many Barbarians in EQ from Everfrost to Qeynos then waiting on the boat and taking the boat to Freeport. Easy 45 minutes in running/waiting.

All,

Here is the info we've been posting for our guild, Smoke & Fire, if any of you are interested in a mature and casual guild for GW2 when it launches:

Smoke & Fire [US – EST/CST, Borlis Pass] is a PVEverything guild which was formed when Guild Wars: Prophecies first released back in 2005. The Smoke & Fire was born out of the frustrations we found at the time when the majority of guilds were stuck on major power trips, took themselves WAY too seriously, and boasted lofty time commitments. SaF was kind of our way of giving them the finger so to speak. Our motto has always been “No Reqs, No Worries!”

We strive for a laid back, helpful, yet casual atmosphere. We have found that being married, having kids, having full time careers, etc. etc. fill our lives with more than enough drama to go around and the last place we want more of it is in an online game!

Across the last 7 years, we have forged some strong friendships, “grew up” together, and watched each other start families, etc. Now we are looking forward to the next chapter of SaF and are stoking the flames for GW2! We have set up some new forums and voice chat in preparation and would love to meet some new like-minded mates who are looking for a quality, long-term community.

If you are looking for a helpful, mature, yet casual GW2 experience, visit us @:
http://smokefire.proboards.com

SMOKE & Fire ~~~ !!!

Peace,
-logga

takes too much effort. if you have any interest in the game it'd do you well to just click on everything i post, you won't regret it.

takes too much effort. if you have any interest in the game it'd do you well to just click on everything i post, you won't regret it.

Damn, a whopping 20 key presses are so hard to do! :rolleyes: P.S. that contained virtually nothing of interest anyway.

It's mainly a feature added for female streamers to increase viewer numbers.

It's just a shame that there isn't too many female gamers, if any, that use streaming. Mostly it's some douchy looking guy, dribbling into his headset. :rolleyes:

It's just a shame that there isn't too many female gamers, if any, that use streaming. Mostly it's some douchy looking guy, dribbling into his headset. :rolleyes:

By that logic, everyone's a "douchey looking guy dribbling into his headset".

Why do all these livestreamers lately put their damn face in the video?

It's supposed to make the stream more personal... I just find it annoying, myself.

I like seeing their facial reactions. Not sure who does/did play D3 here, but a few awesome examples of this were when Athene supposedly accidently streamed his password to thousands of his viewers... awesome reaction (pictured below). Then when streamers die in Hardcore mode. :D

FoKDY.jpg

Man, I can't wait for this game to release. Or at least by permanent open beta.

So many things to explore.

Does GW2 download zones only when you first enter them the way that GW1 did? If so, I might have an issue, dunno yet. My ISP here in the dorms is not great, I usually only get 1.1-1.2 megabytes per second on Steam downloads and other things...but I just tried GW1 for the first time in a while and it was attempting to download zones at like 25 kb/s.

Does GW2 download zones only when you first enter them the way that GW1 did? If so, I might have an issue, dunno yet. My ISP here in the dorms is not great, I usually only get 1.1-1.2 megabytes per second on Steam downloads and other things...but I just tried GW1 for the first time in a while and it was attempting to download zones at like 25 kb/s.

Nope. You download the full client in advance (at least for the BWE's so far).

You do know there is a script you can enter in the game file to have it front load the entire game for GW? I googled it about a year ago and it was the perfect fix.

Only problem with the game is the performance. Other than that I'm fucking stoked.

I agree that the game should really run a bit smoother than it does for a DX9 game that looks good, but not exactly Witcher 2 caliber by any means. However, it did seem to me that this past beta weekend ran better than the previous beta weekend. I don't know if any code changes were made to the graphics engine, but it sure seemed like I was getting 10-15fps better than the first beta weekend. The first weekend I was pulling high 20's and low 30's at max detail on a GTX 670, this past weekend was in the high 40's and low 50's. Lion's Arch bought it down to the 30's again though.

I agree that the game should really run a bit smoother than it does for a DX9 game that looks good, but not exactly Witcher 2 caliber by any means. However, it did seem to me that this past beta weekend ran better than the previous beta weekend. I don't know if any code changes were made to the graphics engine, but it sure seemed like I was getting 10-15fps better than the first beta weekend. The first weekend I was pulling high 20's and low 30's at max detail on a GTX 670, this past weekend was in the high 40's and low 50's. Lion's Arch bought it down to the 30's again though.

They've admitted that they need to do some graphical (and other) optimizations. Rift did the same thing and their optimizations toward the final betas and release drastically improved performance. I am hoping GW2's optimizations do the same.

I had settings to the max and performance was pretty good. Only issue I had was players popping in late during large scale battles.

Not being a hater, but maybe this is a Nvidia issue? No performance problems with 6950s, and I don't think Crossfire is even working right, so you have a lot more raw GPU power than me, but you were seeing 20-30 FPS lower. I ran max settings (except for AA) at 2560x1440.

Not being a hater, but maybe this is a Nvidia issue? No performance problems with 6950s, and I don't think Crossfire is even working right, so you have a lot more raw GPU power than me, but you were seeing 20-30 FPS lower. I ran max settings (except for AA) at 2560x1440.

I don't think is specific to any card manufacturer. The dev team has already stated they need to do optimizations.

I have a [email protected] and 6970's and there is no way in hell i was getting 60-80fps consistently. How were you measuring your fps?

Hrm, I was running max w/AA though.

They stated on their official forums that the game was still CPU bound for BWE2.

For the most part I was in the 35-70 range in moderately populated PVE areas. I’d be over 100 in some areas, and drop into the 20’s or teens in crowded/spammy areas (1920x1200 max detail with HIGH shadows & FXAA). GPU usage was 40-60% a lot of the time. Hopefully they can optimize it well and even use multiple CPU cores for large scale PVE and PVP

As it seems now that the optimizations are still far from complete swapping to taskmanager from time to time allowed me to see that the cpu is far from stressed in my case I hardly got more then 2 cores used and in a 60/40 ratio.

And from the ad on twitter it seems that the content team is lagging way behind the rest of the team.

WITHDRAWALS! I'll be glad when this thing comes out. I've been trying not to level above 20 or so to keep things fresh for release. My latest was a human guardian that made it to like 16 before the weekend was over. I'm also having to split time with my 10 year old daughter so she can play. I still need to prebuy another copy, maybe before next beta.

This is the first game I've actually enjoyed crafting in. Man you can get some good xp just from making shit.

Back