The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I saw these questions in the reddit iama:

D4. What is the intent with game performance as it applies to multi-core processors (2, 4, 8 core etc)

As part of our performance improvements we plan to push more processing on to multiple cores. We're already utilizing multiple cores though!
-Peter

Can you talk a little about game optimization (like support for multi-core CPUs and newer DX11 GPUs) for GW2 and what your plans are?

This is something we'll be working on until release. You'll see improvements with each beta weekend.
The cold hard technical speak is: we need to fix the main CPU thread getting stalled on occlusion queries to the GPU; we need to fix driver compatibility issues; we'll continue offloading work to other threads.
~ MO

Hello guys:) Just a simple question, is the game running on more than 1 core this beta event? :) Thanks!

Yes!
-Peter

Will this beta recognize the GPU and more than 1 core of the CPU?

We still have work to do on performance but you should see improvements from BWE1.
-Peter

Game seems promising but hope they fix the "hardware" issues. I remember I bought BRINK cause everyone said it was going to be incredible, turns out the game was completely unplayable due to hardware issues. I was running the same machine as I am now (in my sig) and it wouldn't go above 15 FPS. The game died shortly there-after. Community is dead.

MMO-wise, Vanguard SOH was rushed and even though the game play was great, it was unplayable because it wasn't optimized. So I hope they are taking it seriously and push it off until it is 100% ready to play

Game seems promising but hope they fix the "hardware" issues. I remember I bought BRINK cause everyone said it was going to be incredible, turns out the game was completely unplayable due to hardware issues. I was running the same machine as I am now (in my sig) and it wouldn't go above 15 FPS. The game died shortly there-after. Community is dead.

MMO-wise, Vanguard SOH was rushed and even though the game play was great, it was unplayable because it wasn't optimized. So I hope they are taking it seriously and push it off until it is 100% ready to play

I wouldn't say Vanguard was unplayable, it just had huge hardware requirements, like Crysis did, for its time. There's a difference between unoptimized and simply demanding... however, Guild Wars 2 seems to fall towards the former from what I hear.

Is there an unofficial "this is where the good guilds are going" server?

edit -- Looks like Sorrows Furnace is the unofficial ex-DAOC server. I will be there.

In this game, the most populated are the most laggy and the zones are less fun imo. I came across lots of old Daoc guilds on ferguson's crossing too btw.

As hopeful as it was looking, how can they afford these servers without a monthly subscription? That is the only thing that concerns me with this game, the lack of support to their servers/etc

As hopeful as it was looking, how can they afford these servers without a monthly subscription? That is the only thing that concerns me with this game, the lack of support to their servers/etc

By charging for add-ons, costumes, character and account services, unlock packs, extra character slots, extra bank slots, and so forth. Here's the GW1 moneymakers:

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?action=toggleCategory;category=4

If GW2 is anything like GW1 was, I'll be buying some extra bank slots right off the bat, and possibly some extra character slots, because unlike the other stuff, those two things are actually useful.

By charging for add-ons, costumes, character and account services, unlock packs, extra character slots, extra bank slots, and so forth. Here's the GW1 moneymakers:

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?action=toggleCategory;category=4

If GW2 is anything like GW1 was, I'll be buying some extra bank slots right off the bat, and possibly some extra character slots, because unlike the other stuff, those two things are actually useful.

I never played the first one, whats with the PvP unlocks and things like that? You have to pay extra to PvP? I'm assuming a Mercenary slot is just character slots?

So this game is borderline microtransactions? Interesting.

I never played the first one, whats with the PvP unlocks and things like that? You have to pay extra to PvP? I'm assuming a Mercenary slot is just character slots?

No, you don't need to pay to PVP or unlock stuff. You can unlock that stuff just by playing the game. It takes a while to unlock those things by playing so some people just buy them.

Mercenary slots are slots into which you can clone a max level character and turn them into a Hero. Heroes are NPCs that you can group with and can configure with skills and equipment; you can have a maximum of 7 Heroes. You ordinarily only get 2 or 3 heroes of each class; if you want 7 heroes all off the same class, you'll need to get 4 or 5 Mercenary Hero slots and fill them with 4 or 5 max level characters. Expensive, and very optional, and by that I mean totally unnecessary; you can steamroll through the entire game with 7 of the stock Heroes.

Enough people buy these optional things to generate quite a lot of cash. The prices may seem outrageous for these things, but consider that they are optional compared to the non-optional monthly subscription for a traditional MMO.

It's like paying for honor if you're familiar with WOW...

That said, I unlocked just about everything for PvP without shelling out a dime in GW1.

It's like paying for honor if you're familiar with WOW...

That said, I unlocked just about everything for PvP without shelling out a dime in GW1.

Except that the shit you unlock through PvP in GW doesn't make you better like honor does in WoW.

(correct?)

Except that the shit you unlock through PvP in GW doesn't make you better like honor does in WoW.

(correct?)

Well, it depends on what you mean by better. You got "end game gear" and a certain skill set by default in GW1. The stuff you got from faction was additional skills and enchants and runes that perfected your gear. So you could literally get by with just jumping in (which was the whole point of GW1), but the stuff you unlocked through faction / pve / $$ did make you 'better', but certainly not on the scale of items in a game like WOW.

Just bought a copy and I'm downloading the client as I missed the 1st beta weekend

I'm PST, any suggestions on what server I should use?

I'm PST and played on Eredon Terrace with some buddies. Worked well for us, WvW would die out about 1-2 am PST, but there were still quite a few people on our server team running around. You might also keep an eye on the GW2 subreddit and see if they throw up a server thread again and see if you can find a group of PSTs congregating anywhere

Now that the new beta weekend is live, and I'm stuck at work, looking for some impressions on the new tiered skill system among the many other changes they have apparently made.

Just started playing so just very preliminary. The most obvious is that the mini-map is now rectangular and ugly as heck. It's just there in the bottom right hand corner without any borders to differentiate it from the underlying window. At first glance, it's not obvious it is a seperate UI element. It seems to have been coded in 10 minutes with no thought at all to its UI design - very uncharacteristic of Arenanet. It's odd why they made the switch; Guild Wars 1 has always had a round mini-map and I can't imagine an outpouring of demand in favor of the square form. As of yet, there's no way to switch it back to round shape. Hopefully, they will switch it back or at least give an option to select it as round.

Also have to re-select all my skills because of the changeover to tiers. I'm agnostic about the change - I was fine with it before and I guess I'm okay with it now. It doesn't make a big difference to me personally.

Framerate is great - smooth as I could ask for on a i-2500k with Radeon 7970 running at 2560x1600 at max settings.

Just started playing so just very preliminary. The most obvious is that the mini-map is now rectangular and ugly as heck. It's just there in the bottom right hand corner without any borders to differentiate it from the underlying window. At first glance, it's not obvious it is a seperate UI element. It seems to have been coded in 10 minutes with no thought at all to its UI design - very uncharacteristic of Arenanet. It's odd why they made the switch; Guild Wars 1 has always had a round mini-map and I can't imagine an outpouring of demand in favor of the square form. As of yet, there's no way to switch it back to round shape. Hopefully, they will switch it back or at least give an option to select it as round.

Also have to re-select all my skills because of the changeover to tiers. I'm agnostic about the change - I was fine with it before and I guess I'm okay with it now. It doesn't make a big difference to me personally.

Framerate is great - smooth as I could ask for on a i-2500k with Radeon 7970 running at 2560x1600 at max settings.

Nice to hear its running smoothly. I wasn't part of the BWE1 but I recall people complaining about framerate issues. I have the same set up, except 2560x1440. Waiting to leave work to go home and throw my whole weekend at this beta...

Back