The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Except for that one forum member who was absolutely positively sure that I had no idea what I was talking about when I made the same observation. Just having a little fun at his expense :)

Actually that one forum member still believes you have no idea what you are talking about and that one member never thought it was coming BEFORE he thought it was going to come AFTER the gamestop execs claim...

Never let facts gets in the way of stubborn opinion :rolleyes:

Section 10(b) of the 1934 act contains a broadly worded provision permitting the SEC to promulgate rules and regulations to protect the public and investors by prohibiting manipulative or deceptive devices or contrivances via the mails or other means of interstate commerce. The SEC has promulgated a rule, known as rule 10b-5, that has been invoked in countless SEC proceedings. The rule states:

It shall be unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, by use of any means or instrumentality of interstate commerce, or of the mails, or of any facility of any national securities exchange, (1) to employ any device, scheme, or artifice to defraud, (2) to make any untrue statement of a material fact or to omit to state a material fact necessary in order to make the statements made, in light of circumstances under which they were made, not misleading, or (3) to engage in any act, practice, or course of business which operates or would operate as a fraud or deceit upon any person, in connection with the purchase or sale of any security.

Rule 10b-5 applies to any purchase or sale, by any person, of any security. There are no exemptions: it applies to registered or unregistered securities, publicly held or closely held companies, and any kind of entity that issues securities, including federal, state, and local government securities.

Clauses 1 and 3 of rule 10b-5 use the terms fraud and deceit. Fraud or deceit must occur "in connection with" a purchase or sale but need not relate to the terms of the transaction. For example, in Superintendent v. Bankers Life, the U.S. Supreme Court found a violation of rule 10b-5 when a group obtained control of an insurance company, then sold certain securities and misappropriated the proceeds for their own benefit. In another case a publicly held corporation made misstatements in a press release. Even though the company was not engaged at that time in buying or selling its own shares, a U.S. court of appeals ruled that the statements were made "in connection with" purchases and sales being made by shareholders on the open market.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/securities

Last edited:
So whats the general consensus of this game? Looking into something to kill time because D3 was a giant bust

D3 was my tide over game until GW2 all along. GW2 is the real prize.

Are those who pre-order GW2 able to play a constant beta or is it only "beta weekends"? I'd like to watch some videos with insight to the game. It's a damn shame I have to do research on which games to buy now because you have to assume they are all going to be shit

Only beta weekends, which is bullshit. They really need to open up the 24/7 beta to preorders (and yes there is one running and some are in it but I believe still under NDA). I've about run out of patience with ArenaNet.

Are those who pre-order GW2 able to play a constant beta or is it only "beta weekends"? I'd like to watch some videos with insight to the game. It's a damn shame I have to do research on which games to buy now because you have to assume they are all going to be shit

It's only beta weekends.

Diablo 3's beta pales in comparison to these beta weekends though in terms of sheer content and aspects of the game that you get to experience. Arenanet's interaction with the community also seems to be better. All in all, I'm really liking the general direction GW2 is headed.

It's only beta weekends.

Diablo 3's beta pales in comparison to these beta weekends though in terms of sheer content and aspects of the game that you get to experience. Arenanet's interaction with the community also seems to be better. All in all, I'm really liking the general direction GW2 is headed.

I've actually never played Guild Wars before, I'm a huge PvEr and taking boss fights but I'm competitive in that I enjoy PvP. I like the best of both worlds, but I'm to understand that this is a PvP oriented game, which is fine, but is there anything you can compare it to so I am able to understand the feel of the gameplay?

pre purchased and played BWE1. loved it. for beta, there was a lot of content.

after this, started a sub with Tera to keep me busy until release date. went back to GW2 stress test for that one day and omg.... couldnt get back into the og combat system >< lol. had to get used to it all over again.

cant wait for BWE2 !

I've actually never played Guild Wars before, I'm a huge PvEr and taking boss fights but I'm competitive in that I enjoy PvP. I like the best of both worlds, but I'm to understand that this is a PvP oriented game, which is fine, but is there anything you can compare it to so I am able to understand the feel of the gameplay?

It's hard to compare it to any game out there. It's really not even much like the original.

It's not as PvP oriented as the original game was from what I can tell in terms of strict competitive play (GvG ladder and tournaments were popular in the first one). PvP will be a big aspect of it and they've taken strides to make it accessible to everyone.

It's hard to compare it to any game out there. It's really not even much like the original.

It's not as PvP oriented as the original game was from what I can tell in terms of strict competitive play (GvG ladder and tournaments were popular in the first one). PvP will be a big aspect of it and they've taken strides to make it accessible to everyone.

I didn't get to take part in bwe1, but videos and gameplay mechanics most look like DAOC to me...

I would argue balanced, large scale and goal oriented WvW is a heck of a lot more PvP oriented than Korean dominated, small scale arena fights. I hate arenas in PvP.

But there is still ladder play in the Structured PVP instances. Also in WvW the servers get ranked by elo based on what ones are winning.

I did not see a ladder, just the equivalent of honor / faction after playing them.

WvW server ranking is hardly the same as ranking a team of individuals for tournament purposes.

If you want competitive pvp GW2 is the best imho. You have arenas, ranked ladders, and tournaments that are monthly, yearly, invitation only. Level playing field with gear normalization.

Only beta weekends, which is bullshit. They really need to open up the 24/7 beta to preorders (and yes there is one running and some are in it but I believe still under NDA). I've about run out of patience with ArenaNet.

That's the spirit, tell them how you feel!

:rolleyes:

I did not see a ladder, just the equivalent of honor / faction after playing them.

WvW server ranking is hardly the same as ranking a team of individuals for tournament purposes.

There are ladders for sPVP, specifically for tournaments etc. Additionally there are stats for WvW for individuals, though not quite as statistically significant.

No, they don't. You paid your money knowing full well what to expect as it was stated clearly up front. No one told you otherwise or made you pre-purchase now instead of buying later. You are not entitled to demo the game with the closed beta testing because you feel you want to.

No, they don't. You paid your money knowing full well what to expect as it was stated clearly up front. No one told you otherwise or made you pre-purchase now instead of buying later. You are not entitled to demo the game with the closed beta testing because you feel you want to.

I can't speak for him but I don't think that's what he's saying. If he's claiming some kind of right or entitlement to get into the beta, then of course, as you say, there's no such thing (and he said pre-order, not pre-purchase, in which case he's talking about people who haven't paid anything yet to either retailer or developer). But then what he would be saying would be trivial and not worth saying. I think what he meant is that if developers are going to have betas, they should be as wide and open as possible, you shouldn't have to pay to get into it and it should last a lengthy period of time so that players can really give the beta a thorough shakedown.

Last edited:
I actually meant pre-purchase (I handed over my 60-odd bucks several weeks ago). Not so much feeling entitled as expecting the game soon (originally), now the game is looking to be quite some distance off, I think (and this is my opinion alone of course) they should let those of us that paid up already in for real. Is it what I signed up for? No. Is it what I "deserve"? No. Is it what makes sense -- actually stress-testing and bug checking before "launch" when the client base is likely to see a 2-3x increase? Yes.

I actually meant pre-purchase (I handed over my 60-odd bucks several weeks ago). Not so much feeling entitled as expecting the game soon (originally), now the game is looking to be quite some distance off, I think (and this is my opinion alone of course) they should let those of us that paid up already in for real. Is it what I signed up for? No. Is it what I "deserve"? No. Is it what makes sense -- actually stress-testing and bug checking before "launch" when the client base is likely to see a 2-3x increase? Yes.

They are stress testing by using the beta weekend events. The rest of the testing is done with their closed testing group. As far as when you ever thought it was coming out, that was 100% your assumption/hope. They *never* gave even a timeframe for a release date other than 2012 (if even that... I think they had said 2012 though). You can claim you don't think you "deserve" it all you want, but you're contradicting yourself by saying it makes sense to let you in for "stress-testing" when they already are, to the game full-time.

Hell yeah. I'm amazed they've been listening to the players so intently.

Cliffs:
- Your characters from the last beta event will transfer to this one.
- Ascalonian Catacombs Explorable Mode
- New map called Gendarran Fields (lvl 25-35) outside of Lion's Arch
- Mystic Forge. Drop your unwanted gear in here for a "gift" in return. Located in Lion's Arch.
- WvW mini dungeon - Full of tricks and traps can be used against enemies, contains a "dark room".
- Added Skill challenges, Dynamic Events, and Jump Puzzles to WvW maps.
- PvP Tournaments. Eight teams of five-players, three-round, single-elimination.
- PvP reward system involves Glory (current) and Rank (measurement of PvP success). You receive chests as you climb in Rank.
- Improvements to combat. Better timing, enhanced sound design, subtle camera shakes.
- Overflow servers allow you to see where your party members are, and can now travel the Overflow server they are on.
- Chat bubbles, map chat (sounds like a particular zone's General chat), local chat (like /say, possibly /shout).
- New keybinding interface, and can now bind modifier keys.
- Minimap is square and can be resized. Dodge meter is now wrapped around the top of the health bar (which also has segments so you know exactly when Dodge is ready).
- Skills are now in tiers, so you have to purchase skills in one tier before you can move onto the next. (This doesn't have anything to do with Weapon Skills, it's the actual Skills interface)
- New items in Gem Store.

So many improvements in just one BWE. Damn I can't wait for this game.

Last edited:
Why would you want camera shaking? That's like game companies introducing motion blur. Let's make the view of the game world worse! Neat new feature!

Why would you want camera shaking? That's like game companies introducing motion blur. Let's make the view of the game world worse! Neat new feature!

Yeah, I hope it can be disabled... it's annoying in the other MMO's I've played (thankfully, Rift had an option to disable it).

Hell yeah. I'm amazed they've been listening to the players so intently.

Cliffs:
- Your characters from the last beta event will transfer to this one.
- Ascalonian Catacombs Explorable Mode
- New map called Gendarran Fields (lvl 25-35) outside of Lion's Arch
- Mystic Forge. Drop your unwanted gear in here for a "gift" in return. Located in Lion's Arch
- PvP Tournaments. Eight teams of five-players, three-round, single-elimination.
- PvP reward system involves Glory (current) and Rank (measurement of PvP success). You receive chests as you climb in Rank.
- Improvements to combat. Better timing, enhanced sound design, subtle camera shakes.
- Overflow servers allow you to see where your party members are, and can now travel the Overflow server they are on.
- Chat bubbles, map chat (sounds like a particular zone's General chat), local chat (like /say, possibly /shout).
- New keybinding interface, and can now bind modifier keys.
- Minimap is square and can be resized. Dodge meter is now wrapped around the top of the health bar (which also has segments so you know exactly when Dodge is ready).
- Skills are now in tiers, so you have to purchase skills in one tier before you can move onto the next. (This doesn't have anything to do with Weapon Skills, it's the actual Skills interface)
- New items in Gem Store.

So many improvements in just one BWE. Damn I can't wait for this game.

Wow...the only major cons I heard from people last BWE was you couldn't bind modifiers, lag, and the problems with overflow servers....it looks like they fix all of those.

EDIT:

Also, looks like you missed one thing.

Expanded World vs. World

Once again, the Mists will echo with the sound of combat as we open up World vs. World for the weekend. As usual, massive armies of players from different servers will battle for supremacy on four huge maps, but this time we&#8217;ve added a couple of interesting new twists.

Players can now take their WvW battle underground in a new &#8220;mini dungeon&#8221; beneath the central map. This brand-new subterranean level is full of tricks and traps that can be used against enemy players, and is home to the aptly named Dark Room, which players will have to see (or not) to believe.

We&#8217;ve also added skill challenges, dynamic events, and even jump puzzles to the WvW maps. Why are these PvE elements being integrated into WvW gameplay? &#8220;We want to make the transition from PvE to World vs. World easy and natural for players,&#8221; says developer Matt Witter. &#8220;We always wanted additional meaningful content on the WvW maps so that players will always have something to do, even if the frontline of battle is far away.&#8221;

Last edited:
Yeah, I hope it can be disabled... it's annoying in the other MMO's I've played (thankfully, Rift had an option to disable it).
Agreed, but with how well they've been listening to input, I'm sure it'll be either properly implemented or toggleable. Completely different games, I know, but if it's anything like Diablo 3's screen shake, it might be neat. Who knows.

Oops! Thanks. :D

Am I the only one who can't download 3 files via launcher when it's updating?

EDIT: It finally worked. I think it was something on their end.

Last edited:
Hm, trying to keep my patches updated and now I get this when I try to start the launcher:

Assertion: Received incorrect amount of data from HTTP server.

Anyone?

I got that earlier, just keep trying, it will eventually fix itself. It's on their end.

I tried for hours before posting... however I just found a solution that worked for me: delete the "chrome" and "gw2.tmp" files and then re-run the patcher, and it goes through :D. Thanks regardless for your reply :).

Hm, trying to keep my patches updated and now I get this when I try to start the launcher:

Assertion: Received incorrect amount of data from HTTP server.

Anyone?

I'm having the same problem. And deleting chrome and gw2.tmp doesn't help.

edit: XP compatibility mode worked, however.

Last edited:
Wow...the only major cons I heard from people last BWE was you couldn't bind modifiers, lag, and the problems with overflow servers....it looks like they fix all of those.

EDIT:

They largely fixed the lag issue during the last BWE. I think they found the cause and put a band aid on it. I think the mini stress test they had a few weeks back tested a real fix for it as it was pretty much lag free.

Back