• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I'm definitely going to take my time with this one. During the beta I found myself seeking out every last little nook and cranny in each zone. Without a monthly sub I don't feel rushed to hit level X by Y time, I can relax and play at my pace. Not once did I ever feel like I needed to grind levels, the way the questing and dynamic events work leveling was just an afterthought. As someone who's been playing MMOs since EQ I found this extremely satisfying; I can't wait to see you guys/gals in game :)
 
I'm definitely going to take my time with this one. During the beta I found myself seeking out every last little nook and cranny in each zone. Without a monthly sub I don't feel rushed to hit level X by Y time, I can relax and play at my pace. Not once did I ever feel like I needed to grind levels

the number one reason to power lvl was to keep apace of everyone else for pvp purposes...in this game, there's no need for that for spvp....ergo, we can relax and smell the pve 'roses' for a change...i say its a brilliant design decision

i can log in, spend an hour spvp, and log out and not worry about lvl'ng...how magical is that
 
Its really is similar to the vanilla WOW. I played the beta and it didn't generate enough interest for me to go out and shell $50 for this game. Its the same formula of grind to level up.

I had the same impression the first beta weekend until I realized I was playing the game incorrectly. If you are counting on hearts and mob kills to level up, sure it feels like a grind. If you are using all available paths to level such as personal story quests, gathering, crafting, vistas, exploration and mostly dynamic events the game is ANYTHING but a grind. I have logged MANY hours across 2 accounts, and many toons and not once since I actually learned to play the game has it felt like a grind at all. Hell, I didn't even know many dynamic events chained into more events to start with. I can't possibly imagine the scope of events when we reach Orr at high level.

If you go in with the World of Warcraft playstyle mentality you will not only get destroyed by mobs, but yeah the game wouldn't be fun. You need to go in leaving all that stupid bullshit WOW has taught you behind.
 
the number one reason to power lvl was to keep apace of everyone else for pvp purposes...

Maybe for pvpers... but the vast majority of MMO players don't actually play the game for pvp purposes (I know, shocking right?). In western RPG's, people typically try to hit max level as fast as possible to get to the "real" content (raids etc). The "real" content in GW2 starts at level 1. In Korean RPG's, there's typically a never ending grind (even if you hit max level... something like skill points). GW2 has none of that.
 
I really should be doing something more productive this morning, instead of watching crafting (cooking) videos. I need to craft up some pancakes and bacon...
 
An MMO without F2P or subscription nonsense?! One of my friends is pestering me to get this...might give it a go!
 
the number one reason to power lvl was to keep apace of everyone else for pvp purposes...in this game, there's no need for that for spvp....ergo, we can relax and smell the pve 'roses' for a change...i say its a brilliant design decision

i can log in, spend an hour spvp, and log out and not worry about lvl'ng...how magical is that

Totally agree
*high five
:D
 
the number one reason to power lvl was to keep apace of everyone else for pvp purposes...in this game, there's no need for that for spvp....ergo, we can relax and smell the pve 'roses' for a change...i say its a brilliant design decision

i can log in, spend an hour spvp, and log out and not worry about lvl'ng...how magical is that

exactly. it definitely seems to be a game more geared towards the casual player. I myself cannot play games like I used to. I used to spend a lot of time raiding. and I regret all the time missed out on living. I still like to play games but it shouldnt be a job or feel like work. it should be fun and played in moderation

guild wars seems to appeal to people like me in that regard
 
exactly. it definitely seems to be a game more geared towards the casual player. I myself cannot play games like I used to. I used to spend a lot of time raiding. and I regret all the time missed out on living. I still like to play games but it shouldnt be a job or feel like work. it should be fun and played in moderation

guild wars seems to appeal to people like me in that regard

This, so much..THIS. I remember back in vanilla WOW when Naxx 40 came out. I was in a high end guild as a healing pally. We spent from 11pm until 4am on trying to down Patchwerk. We finally got him after 5 hours of planning, wiping and frustration only for me to have to go to work in 2 hours on NO sleep. I used to have to schedule my Saturdays from 3pm-midnight every weekend for raiding BWL/AQ40, and NEVER again will I get caught up in that bullshit. I play all night now if I like, but it will be on my terms and for something I enjoy.
 
Will the beta client be different than the release client?

Is there a release client download available?

Reformatted system, so need to re-download it.
 
Will the beta client be different than the release client?

Is there a release client download available?

Reformatted system, so need to re-download it.

No difference, just install the beta. It will be patched to the retail version by the time head start gets here. So no need for testers to download the whole game again. Got to love ArenaNet.
 
So the official release date is 8/28, but some will get a 3-day head start, I see. Does the head start depend on who you downloaded it from (Amazon, Gamefly, etc) or does everyone that pre-purchased a digital download have the ability to start playing on 8/25?
 
So the official release date is 8/28, but some will get a 3-day head start, I see. Does the head start depend on who you downloaded it from (Amazon, Gamefly, etc) or does everyone that pre-purchased a digital download have the ability to start playing on 8/25?

if you prepurchased 3 days before release you get to play in the head start on the 25th. anybody after that gets to play I think either on the 27th or until release
 
Sooo, I as well pre-ordered and am waiting excitedly for the launch.

Has there been any talk a a [H] guild or server? I never actually played GW1 so I'm assuming there are multiple servers and guilds like most mmos?
 
Sooo, I as well pre-ordered and am waiting excitedly for the launch.

Has there been any talk a a [H] guild or server? I never actually played GW1 so I'm assuming there are multiple servers and guilds like most mmos?

i think as of right now Borlis Pass is the server floating around here.
 
Also remember that server transfers will be free for the first month or so. So if you pick the wrong server it isn't a big deal right now.
 
Anybody else get the vibe like the game designer dude is getting irritated by how shitty TB is while playing? I know he's never played the class before and he's jumping in at max level with a boatload of skills, but I still get irritated when I watch people failing.

I've never seen him play anything with any sort of skill. He's terrible at games, and reviews them from the perspective of someone who is terrible at games without knowing it.
 
I've never seen him play anything with any sort of skill. He's terrible at games, and reviews them from the perspective of someone who is terrible at games without knowing it.

you'd be suprised how big the market is for reviews for people who are bad but dont know :O)
 
Also remember that server transfers will be free for the first month or so. So if you pick the wrong server it isn't a big deal right now.

You can play on pretty much any server and join guilds from other servers. All picking a home server does is determine which WvWvW side you play on.
 
You can play on pretty much any server and join guilds from other servers. All picking a home server does is determine which WvWvW side you play on.

The guesting feature is not going to be available at release though. That is probably why they are allowing transfers for free.

Quote from blog post on 8/16/2012

At launch, players will be able to transfer between worlds freely. However, once server populations have largely settled and stabilized, world transfers will be restricted to once a week and cost a variable amount of gems based on the population of the world being transferred to.

In time, we’ll also introduce free “guesting,” which will allow players to visit other worlds as guests as long as they have friends on those worlds. This feature will be free, but guest players will not be able to enter World vs. World, and the Power of the Mists bonuses from their home world will continue to apply to their characters.
 
The guesting feature is not going to be available at release though. That is probably why they are allowing transfers for free.

Can anyone confirm that guilds are cross server even if guesting is not available at launch? I hadn't tried joining a guild in the beta that was based on another server.
 
Note to people that want to play on the 25th. You have to actually PRE-PURCHASE the game, not just PRE-ORDER. It's an important distinction.
 
Can anyone confirm that guilds are cross server even if guesting is not available at launch? I hadn't tried joining a guild in the beta that was based on another server.

pretty sure it is.. because you are known by an ID just like battle.nets and that is what everybody sees on their friendslists etc.

just a guess but since that is a feature theyre talking about and we know the account IDs work like that it would make sense ya dig?
 
The biggest issue I see with cross server guilding, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that you don't earn influence for cross server guilds (only your server's version of the guild will gain points). So while you may chat and play with those people, you're not really contributing to building the influence of the guild unless you're on their server. So while it may work fine if you've got a three part guild spread among three different servers, it won't be quite as useful if only a few are on one server and the rest are on a "main" server.
 
btw, wherever you create your first character server wise, all subsequent characters are created there too
 
Can anyone confirm that guilds are cross server even if guesting is not available at launch? I hadn't tried joining a guild in the beta that was based on another server.

Yes. I joined the wrong server for BW3 and didn't know until I tried to join them in WvWvW. Luckily a transfer took care of that. As a WvWvW based guild, it kind of important to be able to play together.
 
We have another stress test tomm at 12 until 4pst. I'm looking for it to be the last one until release. If you just prepurchased then download it and hop on in!
 
Back
Top