• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I still don't know how I feel about the game. I enjoy it initially but after an hour or two I just start to lose interest. I just hit a wall around level 5-6 and it starts to feel repetitive.
 
Another stress test come and gone. At least this time I have screenshots of my character so I know how to re-create her
 
not to mention superior gameplay.

eliminating roles is so brilliant dude. no tanks, no healers, no dps. no more relying on horribly untalented game players. no more people standing in archimonde fires......... -_____-----

I disagree, I find TSW's gameplay to be superior... tighter feeling animations and more reactive, deeper combat. It goes MUCH further in eliminating restrictions/roles than Guild Wars 2 does, by allowing you to mix/match passives/actives from any ability path, the only limit being if it works well or not. GW2 pigeonholes you into small niches. Truth is, they're very similar on the surface, but TSW is much deeper, has much better-developed PVE, a proper dungeon system, a truly persistent WvW zone (Fusang), and actual meat to the endgame.

GW2 is more like an "I'll hop in it when I feel like it, since the PVP instances auto-level me to 80 with full gear anyway and WvW gives me enough of a boost to not care". There's just no permanence or progression to really care about overall, and you still have to reroll if you want to switch classes or types of skills. In TSW you just build a deck and load it at will. TSW is an actual MMO that goes further than GW2 in breaking down the typical MMO barriers, while GW2 feels more like an RPG version of Battlefield 3. Heck, you don't even get the feeling of a "world" since you just teleport at will to any random place you feel like, rather than travelling even a little anywhere, meeting people, incidental grouping, etc. You see a Public Quest like in WAR occasionally (roaming) and go mob the objective, then everyone leaves instantly since they didn't talk or care about what was happening.

I found its PVE to be dull as heck, with most "hearts" being simply "kill 20 boars near me to fill my bar so I give you xp", skill challenges being one-time mini-encounters, and the dungeons were nowhere near as complex as TSW's Nightmare ones are. GW2 dungeons fall into a lack of any role, rather than having a cohesive group you have a bunch of people bouncing agro and spamming their aoe heals when they're ready. TSW you spec how you like, and can do the Trinity role setup or technically (and it is actually doable, some people play that way) set up things like a heal-tank with a dps-healer and three guys focused on dps, and oddball things like that. Most go with smaller mixes such as a support dps, a main dps, a healer, a dps with backup heals, and a tank with debuffs, kinda thing, simply due to immutable obvious "this works well" setups as in any RPG.

PVP-wise I feel they play similarly depth-wise, but TSW is far more open on spec and metagame, while GW2 falls into the old RPG trap of forced pigeonholing. Having an AOE heal on every class doesn't resolve that.

I'm just forseeing GW2 fizzling out pretty quickly, after having played both games as much as I possibly could. I actually just bought the lifetime service yesterday for TSW because I feel that strongly it's a superior game.
 
I still don't know how I feel about the game. I enjoy it initially but after an hour or two I just start to lose interest. I just hit a wall around level 5-6 and it starts to feel repetitive.

I ran into the same feeling with GW2... it feels like a complete repetition of older games cobbled together, with no real end goal other than "do what you feel like". It wears thin quickly with no real goals, and little actual content of note other than PQ's (mostly all the same despite being so many of them), and your main storyline (which is a brief amount of questing with voiceover).
 
I ran into the same feeling with GW2... it feels like a complete repetition of older games cobbled together, with no real end goal other than "do what you feel like". It wears thin quickly with no real goals, and little actual content of note other than PQ's (mostly all the same despite being so many of them), and your main storyline (which is a brief amount of questing with voiceover).

you just described a game for the casual mmo player who has no desire to pay a sub fee

alot of people want that..we really need to seperate the casuals from the niche from the raiders...ergo, gw2 (casual) tsw (niche) wow (raiders) and swtor was just a failure all around cuz it had no focus other than storyline..the 4th pillar? remember that marketing b.s.? what happens after you complete the storyline? game over
 
Had a good time during the stress test, playing mostly WvW, and got my Charr Guardian to level 5.

I'm looking forward to the launch, and hope that the game continues to be fun as I play more.
 
Noticed a bit of a performance hit today. Not huge, maybe 10-15 FPS on average if I had to guess. But then I opened up the options and saw they got rid of the graphics preset slider in favor of a drop-down menu with only three options. Wonder what changed.
I used to play WoW back in Vanilla and Burning Crusade. I stopped due to it taking FOREVER to level and getting from point A to point B.
Hah. I always laugh when people say vanilla WoW took forever to level. :p
 
Actually today was the first time I've been impressed with the performance of the game. My framerates were usually always 50-60fps V-sync capped, the lowest I ever saw it go was in the low 40's and that's at maximum detail with supersampling. It felt smooth for the first time and never felt choppy as it was in previous beta events and stress tests. I don't know if they've optimized anything yet or not but it damn sure felt like it. If the game plays at least as well as it felt today, I'll be a happy camper.
 
Actually today was the first time I've been impressed with the performance of the game. My framerates were usually always 50-60fps V-sync capped, the lowest I ever saw it go was in the low 40's and that's at maximum detail with supersampling. It felt smooth for the first time and never felt choppy as it was in previous beta events and stress tests. I don't know if they've optimized anything yet or not but it damn sure felt like it. If the game plays at least as well as it felt today, I'll be a happy camper.
Did you play in the stress tests last week? That was the point my performance more than doubled what it previously was. I was almost in disbelief.
 
Did you play in the stress tests last week? That was the point my performance more than doubled what it previously was. I was almost in disbelief.

Yes, performance was still choppy for me last week. Not sure if you're using an AMD or Nvidia GPU, but I'm using a GTX 670. Maybe they're making more optimizations as they go along.
 
Haha, that too. I'm just hoping it lives up to the hype and it pulls me in like WoW does. Every single new MMO that comes out is supposed to be better than WoW, then it ends up being crap.

Star Wars was fun for a month, then I got completely over it.

Its sad then when "every new MMO" is no better than WoW which is crap to begin with. I know many people don't consider the original GW a true MMO, but it sure was WAY better than WoW in every way for me and my friends. I never could get past the shitty graphics of WoW. I believe GW2 is set to take a good part of WoW fan base away.
 
Yes, performance was still choppy for me last week. Not sure if you're using an AMD or Nvidia GPU, but I'm using a GTX 670. Maybe they're making more optimizations as they go along.
I'm using a 7970. Whatever they did last week, it was incredible. I was probably averaging 80 FPS today.
 
Damn it i missed another stress test!!!!

Well, at least i finished building my computer :p

ftg1gl.jpg
 
Well, at least i finished building my computer :p

Pretty sexy, especially if that really is your first build. Welcome to the dark side; once you build, you'll never go back. Now just get ready to deal with the constant upgrade itch lol.
 
Its sad then when "every new MMO" is no better than WoW which is crap to begin with. I know many people don't consider the original GW a true MMO, but it sure was WAY better than WoW in every way for me and my friends. I never could get past the shitty graphics of WoW. I believe GW2 is set to take a good part of WoW fan base away.

What is with these comments? How are they shitty? It's a cartoony'ish art-style based graphics engine. I suppose you think cell-shaded games have "bad graphics" too?
 
Damn it i missed another stress test!!!!

Well, at least i finished building my computer :p

ftg1gl.jpg

What..is with that Victorian-era chair? Invest in a real chair haha. :D

Solid looking build though, love the case and the blue lights. I'm thinking of doing another desktop build and looking at the 670 at the moment. How are you liking it?
 
What is with these comments? How are they shitty? It's a cartoony'ish art-style based graphics engine. I suppose you think cell-shaded games have "bad graphics" too?

Yeah, they were never really advanced, but they have been improved over time and held up a lot better than Guild Wars IMO.
 
What..is with that Victorian-era chair? Invest in a real chair haha. :D

Solid looking build though, love the case and the blue lights. I'm thinking of doing another desktop build and looking at the 670 at the moment. How are you liking it?


the 670 is amazing. honestly im loving it. but at only 100$ more i think theres value in just getting a 680.

i am super impatient and i prefer to buy things retail and pay tax just so i dont have to wait for the card.. but i bought an asus non top dcii 670 at 420$ plus tax was like 455$. 680 online wouldve been way better especially the gigabyte one which has a nonreference for a flat 500



as for people saying wow has shitty graphics. this is true but i remember i bought it when it first came out and it was amazing. even with its ultra low poly counts it was so cool looking.
 
What is with these comments? How are they shitty? It's a cartoony'ish art-style based graphics engine. I suppose you think cell-shaded games have "bad graphics" too?

Yes I do actually. I hated Borderlands too. Its my opinion, its certainly subjective.
 
Yeah, they were never really advanced, but they have been improved over time and held up a lot better than Guild Wars IMO.

I very much disagree. Guild Wars today still look damn impressive. Guild Wars 2 actually looks like a step backwards to me graphically, but oh well.
 
guild wars 2 is impressive looking, especially in terms of environments, UI, spell effects and character detail.

the only thing i want is 60 fps in WvWvW combat. hopefully my 670 can handle it. good thing i can overclock to a sexy 1215 core ;)
 
One graphics design choice can have a huge impact on any game: fonts. After a bit of research, I found that Guild Wars 1 uses Friz Quadrata for most things, while Guild Wars 2 uses Cronos Pro (here's samples of Cronos Pro Light 300 and Cronos Pro Regular 400).

You can see a bit of this in the screenshots Dremic posted above. The open version of the number 4 is perhaps the most noticeable thing about Cronos Pro.
 
i really disagree

You have chosen a low detail screenshot from the original GW and compared it to a high detail screenshot of GW2. That being said, my point wasn't which one was more advanced because clearly GW2 is newer and uses more polygons and efffects, but I don't care much for the new art style compared to the original. If you like the new art style, that's cool, I just don't like it as much as the original, both are considerably better than WoW ever was.
 
You have chosen a low detail screenshot from the original GW and compared it to a high detail screenshot of GW2. That being said, my point wasn't which one was more advanced because clearly GW2 is newer and uses more polygons and efffects, but I don't care much for the new art style compared to the original. If you like the new art style, that's cool, I just don't like it as much as the original, both are considerably better than WoW ever was.


oh okay that makes more sense, I must have misunderstood. I like the art style though@! It looks like everything was painted its awesome
 
oh okay that makes more sense, I must have misunderstood. I like the art style though@! It looks like everything was painted its awesome

It has more of an anime style look to it now, especially the cutscenes, I sort of preferred the original as it looked more realistic.
 
It has more of an anime style look to it now, especially the cutscenes, I sort of preferred the original as it looked more realistic.

I love the spell effects too. some people have been saying its too much and a little over the top but to be honest its exciting to have that much going on. combat should be chaos
 
I disagree, I find TSW's gameplay to be superior... tighter feeling animations and more reactive, deeper combat. It goes MUCH further in eliminating restrictions/roles than Guild Wars 2 does, by allowing you to mix/match passives/actives from any ability path, the only limit being if it works well or not. GW2 pigeonholes you into small niches. Truth is, they're very similar on the surface, but TSW is much deeper, has much better-developed PVE, a proper dungeon system, a truly persistent WvW zone (Fusang), and actual meat to the endgame.

GW2 is more like an "I'll hop in it when I feel like it, since the PVP instances auto-level me to 80 with full gear anyway and WvW gives me enough of a boost to not care". There's just no permanence or progression to really care about overall, and you still have to reroll if you want to switch classes or types of skills. In TSW you just build a deck and load it at will. TSW is an actual MMO that goes further than GW2 in breaking down the typical MMO barriers, while GW2 feels more like an RPG version of Battlefield 3. Heck, you don't even get the feeling of a "world" since you just teleport at will to any random place you feel like, rather than travelling even a little anywhere, meeting people, incidental grouping, etc. You see a Public Quest like in WAR occasionally (roaming) and go mob the objective, then everyone leaves instantly since they didn't talk or care about what was happening.

I found its PVE to be dull as heck, with most "hearts" being simply "kill 20 boars near me to fill my bar so I give you xp", skill challenges being one-time mini-encounters, and the dungeons were nowhere near as complex as TSW's Nightmare ones are. GW2 dungeons fall into a lack of any role, rather than having a cohesive group you have a bunch of people bouncing agro and spamming their aoe heals when they're ready. TSW you spec how you like, and can do the Trinity role setup or technically (and it is actually doable, some people play that way) set up things like a heal-tank with a dps-healer and three guys focused on dps, and oddball things like that. Most go with smaller mixes such as a support dps, a main dps, a healer, a dps with backup heals, and a tank with debuffs, kinda thing, simply due to immutable obvious "this works well" setups as in any RPG.

PVP-wise I feel they play similarly depth-wise, but TSW is far more open on spec and metagame, while GW2 falls into the old RPG trap of forced pigeonholing. Having an AOE heal on every class doesn't resolve that.

I'm just forseeing GW2 fizzling out pretty quickly, after having played both games as much as I possibly could. I actually just bought the lifetime service yesterday for TSW because I feel that strongly it's a superior game.

Man, I'm like complete opposite. TSW's combat is horrid. Animations are horrid. TSW does a lot of things right, but animations and combat are no where near GW2.
 
I love the spell effects too. some people have been saying its too much and a little over the top but to be honest its exciting to have that much going on. combat should be chaos

Naa man, I'm a sucker for spell effects now as long as it doesn't impact gameplay, meaning I can't what the Hell is going on, but pretty explosions and stuff get a big thumbs up from me. Spell effects alone are enough to make me to play an Elementalist.
 
Grats on the first build. The first of many, I'm sure :)

Yes it is! Thank you! :D

Pretty sexy, especially if that really is your first build. Welcome to the dark side; once you build, you'll never go back. Now just get ready to deal with the constant upgrade itch lol.

Yes, it is my actual first build, and took like 6 hours hahaha. If i had to do it again, i bet it would only take me ~3 hours. The worst part was figuring out the cable management :mad: I bought an SLI-Ready 900W psu for future-proofing, and i forgot that a large PSU would also have a ton of cables i didnt need..... oh well, good for when i decide to SLI eventually.

What..is with that Victorian-era chair? Invest in a real chair haha. :D

Solid looking build though, love the case and the blue lights. I'm thinking of doing another desktop build and looking at the 670 at the moment. How are you liking it?

Yes, the chair was from my old desk (wooden one). This new, sexy glass desk clashes with it. And the chair absolutely KILLS my back. Recommendations on where to find a nice, sub-100$ chair? Office Depot?

As for the 670, so far it runs Minecraft great! :D haha i havent downloaded a real game to test it out yet, so i cant comment on its performance, but it looks amazing, and im sure it will absolutely blow my old GT 130M (laptop GPU) out of the water. twice.
 
Yes it is! Thank you! :D



Yes, it is my actual first build, and took like 6 hours hahaha. If i had to do it again, i bet it would only take me ~3 hours. The worst part was figuring out the cable management :mad: I bought an SLI-Ready 900W psu for future-proofing, and i forgot that a large PSU would also have a ton of cables i didnt need..... oh well, good for when i decide to SLI eventually.



Yes, the chair was from my old desk (wooden one). This new, sexy glass desk clashes with it. And the chair absolutely KILLS my back. Recommendations on where to find a nice, sub-100$ chair? Office Depot?

As for the 670, so far it runs Minecraft great! :D haha i havent downloaded a real game to test it out yet, so i cant comment on its performance, but it looks amazing, and im sure it will absolutely blow my old GT 130M (laptop GPU) out of the water. twice.


god damn i cant wait to do a new build. thinking of waiting till the new architecture intel chips come out..
 
Man, I'm like complete opposite. TSW's combat is horrid. Animations are horrid. TSW does a lot of things right, but animations and combat are no where near GW2.



Yeah, for me it wasn't even comparable. I was bored with TSW's combat almost as soon as I started playing it (which was during beta about a month before release). I played that game up until release, but as soon as I was able to experience my first GW2 beta TSW became a chore to continue playing. TSW does things like story, atmosphere, and world design really well, but I completely disagree that combat and animation are at all strong points.

Also, I spent enough time with the ability wheel to recognize it's a lot more limited than it initially appears (for one, you can't just pick and choose until you've unlocked everything since skills are still unlocked in tiers). And even though you can make a build with a variety of abilities, you're still limited to two weapons for actives and seven actives total. Plus, the dungeons and gear in the game pretty much cement you in the same old trinity system of other MMOs. It's may be more open ended than GW2, but even as I unlocked half the weapons in the game I found myself sticking mostly with the same build because the new stuff wasn't anymore satisfying to use than the old (which all comes back to my lack of enjoyment with the combat).

Edit: I just wanted to add that I don't think TSW is a bad game, even though my post may sound kind of negative. But as someone who values gameplay first, GW2 is the stronger game from my experience.
 
Last edited:
Edit: I just wanted to add that I don't think TSW is a bad game, even though my post may sound kind of negative. But as someone who values gameplay first, GW2 is the stronger game from my experience.


the combat looks awesome especially in pvp... i like that you can dodge escape and turn around battles
 
I don't make games for a living, nor do I give a shit about what you like. ;)

Good, leave that to me.

dremic said:
the combat looks awesome especially in pvp... i like that you can dodge escape and turn around battles

I very much enjoyed the combat as well, lot of haters and nit-pickers. (PS: CS:GO tonight most likely, download Mumble ;))
 
Back
Top