The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't get this. I'm at 1200p and a big OC on GPU/CPU. With normal sampling, everything else max except shadows, I get about 40fps in large open field WvW. Lions Arch portals where everything is clustered, I get around 55fps. You are getting 60ish in heavy WvW? If I turn on supersampling, I drop to around 40ish FPS in Lions Arch portal area and 30ish FPS in large open field WvW.
Makes sense to me, it's textbook definition of being unoptimized. They do optimization last, but I'm not sure how far before release they start doing that. I'm sure they're still working on getting the game optimized, I wouldn't worry yet.

Shocked

Limp Gawd
Makes sense to me, it's textbook definition of being unoptimized. They do optimization last, but I'm not sure how far before release they start doing that. I'm sure they're still working on getting the game optimized, I wouldn't worry yet.
Any chance that could explain why some are able to play at eyefinity resolutions on a single 7970, and I don't even feel like one is enough for 1080p?

eric335

Limp Gawd
So what should I do to pre-order the online edition and get the 3 day head start? Also, as far as servers, we should all choose the same one :D

DarkCloud

Limp Gawd
Played for a couple hrs after work yesterday...I must say my fps/performance/smoothness seemed a lot better then previous betas/stress tests. I did notice some server lag though... All in all I think this game is going to be ready to roll out with very few bugs by the end of the month and I for one can not wait!!

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Played for a couple hrs after work yesterday...I must say my fps/performance/smoothness seemed a lot better then previous betas/stress tests. I did notice some server lag though... All in all I think this game is going to be ready to roll out with very few bugs by the end of the month and I for one can not wait!!
Honestly, it was a stress test. Any issues with stability/lag were likely due to it being such. I got booted from the game about every 10 minutes for the first hour or so, was much more stable after that. Didn't really notice much lag. I did participate in BWE3 and noticed yesterday the difficulty was noticeably ramped up. I have no frame of reference other than BWE3 though. I did hear that BWE2 --> BWE3 there was a drop in difficulty due to database-type snafu.

Can't wait for the headstart! I'm trying to convince the GF to play the game... She plays Anarchy Online and EQ1 right now. Guess I'll have to break down and buy it for her. :D

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Girls love to play games with guys...just not the kind we like :(
QFT! She likes to play some epic head games with me, but they are all harmless in the long run. Not the kind I like, if you read into that last sentence. :p Since she's a gamer chick, I get a lot of grief if she whoops my ass in anything ROFL. I somehow don't mind (much).

ddarko

Limp Gawd
Weird. It doesn't seem like I can zoom out any farther. In fact, I was just thinking how it doesn't seem like I can zoom out very far at all. :(
You may be right, I wouldn't bet on my own impression. It may have been a result of not having seen the game for a couple weeks plus the combination of playing the relatively small Asuran character that doesn't take much screen space. I'm sure someone or a site has the definitive answer whether or not the FOV was increased another notch. My own opinion that it was is very tenuous.

MavericK

Zero Cool
I wish i could get my gf to play games with me.
I was thinking about that...then later, my GF explained to me that she wanted to be a "real gamer" and not just play The Sims 3 and point-and-click adventure games, lol.

So I got her playing Skyrim.

Now she plays for like 3 hours straight and ignores me. :(

I'm still trying to get her to play Borderlands but she's engrossed in Skyrim right now. So the plan kinda backfired, lol.

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
22 more days, gents.

I was thinking about that...then later, my GF explained to me that she wanted to be a "real gamer" and not just play The Sims 3 and point-and-click adventure games, lol.

So I got her playing Skyrim.

Now she plays for like 3 hours straight and ignores me. :(

I'm still trying to get her to play Borderlands but she's engrossed in Skyrim right now. So the plan kinda backfired, lol.
My wife does the same. She's had about four level 50+ characters in Skyrim. It's all she plays, and refuses to play anything else, lol. I tried to get to her play Oblivion and she did one quest and didn't like it. :confused:

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
My wife does the same. She's had about four level 50+ characters in Skyrim. It's all she plays, and refuses to play anything else, lol. I tried to get to her play Oblivion and she did one quest and didn't like it. :confused:
Yea... replace Skyrim with WOW and that describes the entire WOW playerbase that never really gamed before WOW.

At this point it's just about comfort. Ease her into other genres slowly.

ValeX

2[H]4U
Just letting you guys know I was able to get a refund on my digital prepurchase from anet with no problem about 2 days ago.

The game looks awesome and I'll probably re-buy it later but I'm just too busy with other stuff right now. Just thought I'd share.

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Just letting you guys know I was able to get a refund on my digital prepurchase from anet with no problem about 2 days ago.

The game looks awesome and I'll probably re-buy it later but I'm just too busy with other stuff right now. Just thought I'd share.
I dont think Ive ever seen a company refuse to refund a pre-purchase as long as the game is not out yet and they havent delivered it to you they cant refuse a refund request. ( i think, have no proof to back this up :p ) Even steam refunds preorders if you request it.

I fortunally got out of WoW so I have a nice rpg/mmo void right now im saving for gw2, just been rocking TF2 and skyrim to pass time till guildwars comes out.

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
I really wish this was up and running. DayZ is just annoying me... Can't stand to log into D3 at this point.

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
The lack of monthly is what got me ultimately. Funnily enough, I will likely end up spending some money on their gem store as well.

eric335

Limp Gawd
Okay i just pre-ordered the game and i cant wait! I got the Deluxe edition (or the middle $80 one). I have a question though, when i chose my character name (took forever to decide) and i got the 4 digit code, does that mean there are a ton of people w/ my name? I just hope i dont walk around with a 4-digit code on my name :( ....

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
I think that might be outdated. AFAIK it hasn't been reset in months, and pre-dates mesmer announcement. If it's newer than that, it might skill be quite a bit off as people got to test out Sylvari and Asura the latest patch and may have changed their minds.
It has aggregate data from a long time ago. If you want more recent data, there's a way to restrict the date range using the URl, I forget off the top of my head.

Okay i just pre-ordered the game and i cant wait! I got the Deluxe edition (or the middle $80 one). I have a question though, when i chose my character name (took forever to decide) and i got the 4 digit code, does that mean there are a ton of people w/ my name? I just hope i dont walk around with a 4-digit code on my name ....
That's your account name... not your character name.

eric335

Limp Gawd
It has aggregate data from a long time ago. If you want more recent data, there's a way to restrict the date range using the URl, I forget off the top of my head.

That's your account name... not your character name.
Oh okay cool. Why not just use the email to login then? Because of the forums? Now it all makes sense! :p

Hahah sorry sorry, long day

edit: So people will be able to see this name AS WELL AS our character name? Because the email from ArenaNet said this is an in-game name...

Last edited:

Shocked

Limp Gawd
Oh okay cool. Why not just use the email to login then? Because of the forums? Now it all makes sense! :p

Hahah sorry sorry, long day

edit: So people will be able to see this name AS WELL AS our character name? Because the email from ArenaNet said this is an in-game name...

Individual character names I believe are still your primary way of interacting with players, but your ArenaNet name should be useful for keeping track of friends across multiple characters. Or stuff like that. I didn't fool around with it much.

Also, I think it forces a set of numbers on everyone, so you shouldn't worry about that.

eric335

Limp Gawd
Individual character names I believe are still your primary way of interacting with players, but your ArenaNet name should be useful for keeping track of friends across multiple characters. Or stuff like that. I didn't fool around with it much.

Also, I think it forces a set of numbers on everyone, so you shouldn't worry about that.
That portion i bolded makes the most sense. It makes keeping track of friends across multiple characters easier.

Speaking of which, how many characters are we allowed to have anyways? A set number per server or.....?

Shocked

Limp Gawd
That portion i bolded makes the most sense. It makes keeping track of friends across multiple characters easier.
Regardless of what makes sense, I believe that's the way it works.

I had one RL friend on my friends list in the last BWE. I couldn't figure out a way to see his ArenaNet name (though admittedly I didn't look very hard), but I also never contacted him in-game (he barely played). Possible you need to be mutual friends or something. It did change to his ArenaNet name during the stress test, although I'm not sure what specifically caused that.

Oomps

Gawd

Speaking of which, how many characters are we allowed to have anyways? A set number per server or.....?
There were 5 character slots during the beta weekends.

Pretty sure it's not per server since you can play on any server you want(as long as you have a friend on that server), you just can't do WvWvW unless it's your home server.

eric335

Limp Gawd
There were 5 character slots during the beta weekends.

Pretty sure it's not per server since you can play on any server you want(as long as you have a friend on that server), you just can't do WvWvW unless it's your home server.
So your character profile (like a specific character) can played on any server you want? I heard talk of it costing money to switch servers, and that you could only use one server for a character....?

Also, you can go to other servers if ur friends are on those servers?

What exactly is your home server?

Questions, questions, questions :confused: :mad: :D

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
More patches downloading. Grabbed another ~12K file changes after opening the launcher. ~800MB based on percentage.

Curious_George

Weaksauce
I did not mess around with friends stuff. But if you are in a guild it will display your character name and your account name in the guild list. It definitely makes it easier to keep track of players in situations when people have multiple alts with different names.