The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

It's cool to hear that shit wasn't all cookie-cutter. WoW was a blast at vanilla, but even then there was so much filler in the talent trees, everyone pretty much was the same thing.

can't wait for GW2

It's cool to hear that shit wasn't all cookie-cutter. WoW was a blast at vanilla, but even then there was so much filler in the talent trees, everyone pretty much was the same thing.

can't wait for GW2

Well, the complaints people generally had were that to run a given area as a given class, the community would come up with clearly defined roles and the good players knew exactly how those roles should be played and exactly what kind of build you needed.

Players who wanted to open elite chests several times per night (and get fantastically rich) would learn the builds, acquire the skills and any special items and practice and practice until they knew how to do it perfectly.

In the Underworld Speed Clear "golden age", There were 8 individual roles and while you needed to run an Elementalist/Assassin (or Assassin/Elementalist) with a specific build, it required a lot of finesse and a deep understanding of the game elements to manage skill cool downs, traps, hazards, etc.

The whole process was a house of cards and one mistake on the part of one player would cause a key NPC to die which would eject the whole group from the level and make you start over - at the cost of about 10,000 gold in entry fees and consumable buffs.

Some players would get mad and grief the team at the last moment, some people were just incompetent and among the people who did it regularly, your reputation was your ticket to fabulous wealth and prizes or the despair of the private black lists.

It was an amazing time - the team work and level of play required was incredible and there was so much pressure to not let your team down and to set speed records that to me, this was the funnest part of the game.

Then they broke it.

can't wait for GW2

Guild Wars 1 was always superior to WoW when it came to builds. In fact, I think limiting things to 8 slots helped increase creativity.

In fact, I think limiting things to 8 slots helped increase creativity.
Couldn't agree more. It also gave it the feeling that you weren't always playing some cookie cutter class.

Different builds were suited to different areas. Of course, the hardcore players had their cookie cutter builds for very specific purposes, but the casual player was always welcome to play the game as they saw fit, with hundreds of skills per class and dozens of different ways to balance your skill/magic specialties.

Last class is officially the Mesmer.
Closed Beta (don't bother trying to sign up, there aren't any. They are bringing in more testers, but its an actual "closed" beta) begins [checks time] tomorrow.

This thread was fucking impossible to find because of the misspelling in the thread title, heh.

Everyone see the latest GW2 update? It makes me giddy like a damn schoolgirl. Beta updates and such.

http://www.arena.net/blog/dragon

I played gw 1 and the first 2 expansions. I think the worst was the lady and the frog telling us stuff like oh AH will be added soon and other BS knowing they never had any plans for doing anything.
NERFS seemed to come at least once a week. I changed classes and builds so many times it was nuts.
8 skills only just makes it easier to nerf you.
POOR design, NO testing and did I mention the nerfs?
most fun was getting a run thru on the original game.

oh yea and don't forget 11/11
that was the day then DESTROYED the casters. All I can remember was casting a spell and all the mobs fleeing before you finished the cast. GREAT WORK THERE MORONS

I played gw 1 and the first 2 expansions. I think the worst was the lady and the frog telling us stuff like oh AH will be added soon and other BS knowing they never had any plans for doing anything.
NERFS seemed to come at least once a week. I changed classes and builds so many times it was nuts.

that was the day then DESTROYED the casters. All I can remember was casting a spell and all the mobs fleeing before you finished the cast. GREAT WORK THERE MORONS

The constant nerfing was their way of keeping the meta-game interesting. And it worked for quite some time, because it forced people to adapt and change consistently, which made the PvP interesting for extended periods of time, as the builds and playstyles were constantly shifting. One week, one build would be the end-all. Next week, it was a has-been. It made things interesting, and prevented PvP from falling into a monotonous, boring rut. The 8 skill limit also helped with this, as making effective builds in Guild Wars took soooo much more skill than it does in WoW, where you have practically infinite skill slots.

LOL, I'm going to guess your a WoW fan...

Why is this thread so dead? :( This game looks fucking amazing. Are people just assuming it's going to be just another ol' Guild Wars?

What about news of a release?

None yet, but with their "open beta" being in March-April, I can't imagine release wouldn't be much later after that. Most people are guessing the beginning of summer, which would make perfect sense, seeing as a lot of people would be out of school then.

Why is this thread so dead? :( This game looks fucking amazing. Are people just assuming it's going to be just another ol' Guild Wars?

None yet, but with their "open beta" being in March-April, I can't imagine release wouldn't be much later after that. Most people are guessing the beginning of summer, which would make perfect sense, seeing as a lot of people would be out of school then.

I'm wonderin the same thing. I've got high hopes for sure.

I blame Arenanet. They don't keep the hype train moving for shit.

I'm 100% certain I'm going to buy the game, but I can't talk about it when there's nothing new to talk about.

Maybe they're saving the best for last. Hoping to see a lot of interesting things as it approaches its nebulous launch date.

After hearing the latest news about Guild Wars 2 beta and that megathread that guy posted on MMO Champion, I have no motivation to play swtor anymore. :/ Bleh. Tried about Diablo 3 beta again after not playing it for months, and could only play for an hour before I started thinking about GW2 again, lol.

I'm so looking forward to this.

I'm playing TOR now and enjoying it, but I think GW2 is going to wind up being where I go once it's released.

Here's too hoping they can pull it off, I think if anyone can shake up the MMORPG genre it's Arenanet.

(Let's face it WvWvW PvP, if done right, will be sexy as hell)

Is there no official Guild Wars 2 forum? WTF? Why would they not have their own forum to the community?

What is this new PvP you speak of? I long for a dev to take mmo's to the next level, i'm so sick of wow clones.

If this game delivers half of what I read on that MMO-champion thread it will literally change the way future MMO's are developed. The concept and ideas are a huge step in the right direction for an otherwise STALE genre. And yes I'm currently playing TOR and I know it's the same ole' model with a twist. GW2 will hopefully change this.

Is there a chunk of text in that thread someone wouldn't mind quoting in here? =D Can only get to [H] at work, and you guys don't want to make me wait until tonight to read up on GW2 do you?

Is there no official Guild Wars 2 forum? WTF? Why would they not have their own forum to the community?

Try the forums on incgamers and guild wars guru, for info, when I played guild wars for over 4 years I used to troll...i mean frequent those 2 forums, arenanet had community managers posting there as well.

Features

• Dynamic Content – Gone are the days of looking for a symbol above an NPCs head to tell you exactly where to go just as everyone else has before you. Content in GW2 is generated by the Dynamic Event system that is completely persistent and changes how everyone in the world sees content based on your action or in-action.

• Active Combat – No more trading blows with a mob in whack-a-mole combat. Damage in the game is avoidable, if an enemy is lining up a big spell, you can dodge it and keep on fighting. Positioning relative to your enemy and your allies will be a key factor during combat, among other things.

• Underwater Combat – ArenaNet has built an entire underwater combat system, no more breath bar to manage, quick and fluid movement in water and entire weapon and skill sets to go along with it.

• The Holy Trinity – Dead. Gone. And good riddance. There are no defined class roles in GW2. It’s not fun to hope that one person logs in so that you can actually play a game. You can generally take any combination of professions that you wish into content and succeed in the same time-frame as any other as long as you communicate.

• Personal Story – At character creation you get to choose from a wide variety of biographical entries based on your race that will affect your personal story. ArenaNet aims to put the hero and identity back into the MMO genre rather than just a character sheet.

• WvWvW PvP – There’s 2 flavors of PvP, one is the Arena style combat that GW1 is currently known for, the competitive style. The second kind is World vs World vs World where 3 servers are pit against each other every 2 weeks to battle it out across 4 persistent maps filled with 2,000 people that involve capture points, resource gathering, castle sieging, etc.

• Level Scaling – You never have to worry about your friend being too high of a level for you to play with him, you can sidekick up to his level or he can sidekick down to yours so you guys can play together no matter each others level.

• Leveling Curve – There’s no exponential leveling curve in GW2, it’s linear and plateaus quickly. ANet aims to kill that “I have to grind so I can play the game” feeling you get in other MMOs.

• No Monthly Fee – It amazes me that not only is ArenaNet working to change how we view MMOs, but they’re still not including a monthly fee.

• Jumping – I nearly forgot, YES, you can jump. ArenaNet has built a fully realized 3D world for you to roam around in.

I will definitely be purchasing GW2 when it comes out. It is the filler for the dud that D3 will be.

No monthly fee = Count me in!

Features

• Dynamic Content – Gone are the days of looking for a symbol above an NPCs head to tell you exactly where to go just as everyone else has before you. Content in GW2 is generated by the Dynamic Event system that is completely persistent and changes how everyone in the world sees content based on your action or in-action.

• Active Combat – No more trading blows with a mob in whack-a-mole combat. Damage in the game is avoidable, if an enemy is lining up a big spell, you can dodge it and keep on fighting. Positioning relative to your enemy and your allies will be a key factor during combat, among other things.

• Underwater Combat – ArenaNet has built an entire underwater combat system, no more breath bar to manage, quick and fluid movement in water and entire weapon and skill sets to go along with it.

• The Holy Trinity – Dead. Gone. And good riddance. There are no defined class roles in GW2. It’s not fun to hope that one person logs in so that you can actually play a game. You can generally take any combination of professions that you wish into content and succeed in the same time-frame as any other as long as you communicate.

• Personal Story – At character creation you get to choose from a wide variety of biographical entries based on your race that will affect your personal story. ArenaNet aims to put the hero and identity back into the MMO genre rather than just a character sheet.

• WvWvW PvP – There’s 2 flavors of PvP, one is the Arena style combat that GW1 is currently known for, the competitive style. The second kind is World vs World vs World where 3 servers are pit against each other every 2 weeks to battle it out across 4 persistent maps filled with 2,000 people that involve capture points, resource gathering, castle sieging, etc.

• Level Scaling – You never have to worry about your friend being too high of a level for you to play with him, you can sidekick up to his level or he can sidekick down to yours so you guys can play together no matter each others level.

• Leveling Curve – There’s no exponential leveling curve in GW2, it’s linear and plateaus quickly. ANet aims to kill that “I have to grind so I can play the game” feeling you get in other MMOs.

• No Monthly Fee – It amazes me that not only is ArenaNet working to change how we view MMOs, but they’re still not including a monthly fee.

• Jumping – I nearly forgot, YES, you can jump. ArenaNet has built a fully realized 3D world for you to roam around in.

I already knew all this stuff because I've been following the game, but thanks for posting it so anyone coming to this thread new can see.

This game really seems like a game changer in the MMO market, I think a lot of people just don't realize how different it is from GW1.

I play, and enjoy, ToR on a daily basis.

But I have every intention of buying GW2 when it comes out. No monthly fee has sold me.

My guild mate in Rift will be getting into the closed/opened beta soon. Hoping he can get me a key :(

These are the features I am most worried about in Guild Wars 2: Resurrection, The Downed State & Death. These completely remove virtually any penalty for death.

Why is this bad? It's bad because it eliminates risk, it leads to apathy, it leads to not caring. Why should I care about losing when fighting xxxx or player y when I know I will just go into a downed state or just be resurrected by any character in the game if I lose? There is no need to pay attention, there is no nail-biting and sitting on the edge of your seat caring about weather you are going to squeak by the encounter and live. That is what makes games great. Excitement, risk, difficulty.

In for example EQ1, if you died there were serious repercussions. You lost EXP, you lost your body. You were at a serious handi-cap until you did a corpse run and retrieved your body. Those corpse runs could be arduous. That made people pay attention and not want to die. This lead to excitement, difficulty and a sense of accomplishment.

I guess you could call me "hard-core" or whatever, but these soccer-mom player type theme-park features such as Resurrection from any player, the Downed State and lack of any meaningful death penalty will be a serious negative to the game for those of us that like excitement and challenge.

Granted I want GW2 to be a success, it has beautiful art, graphics and some of the ideas are brilliant. I just don't want to run around in some easy theme park MMORPG holding hands and not needing more than two brain cells to accomplish anything.

It's part of their "non-trinity" setup.

If you are in a group, and die/go down, it allows someone to revive you who isn't a healer.
This way you can group up with anyone you want, and don't have the usual pitfalls of the trinity setup (IE sitting /lfg shouting and waiting 30min + to find one).

That was never a fun aspect in any mmo, and in EQ while I enjoyed it, and remember fondly doing corpse runs, there's just such a huuuuuuuge timesink there that does more harm then good for people that can't spend 10+ hours playing a game a day.

I mean some people have only a few hours to play in the evening, the last thing they want to do in a game is sit around " /lfg need healer" for 30 minutes when they only have an hour or two to play.

They mentioned there won't be factions, and that there's world pvp... are they talking about open pvp like vanguard? If that's the case, then imo losing in pvp is enough of a punishment for death, especially if you're fighting over a resource.

Back