The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

What's probably true for any MMO is that you don't play the game for the game's sake. You play it because it's a place to socialize with like-minded people while doing something you don't hate doing.

In GW2 the WvW (as pointless as it is in terms of character development) is probably what keeps most people who have played since day 1 engaged.

If you still like the game, then find a good server community and see whether you want to stick around that server. A number of servers have server forums of varying levels of activity set up. IIRC correctly Ehrmy Bay has the largest and most active forum followed by Jade Quarry and then Stormbluff Isle.

What's probably true for any MMO is that you don't play the game for the game's sake. You play it because it's a place to socialize with like-minded people while doing something you don't hate doing.

In GW2 the WvW (as pointless as it is in terms of character development) is probably what keeps most people who have played since day 1 engaged.

If you still like the game, then find a good server community and see whether you want to stick around that server. A number of servers have server forums of varying levels of activity set up. IIRC correctly Ehrmy Bay has the largest and most active forum followed by Jade Quarry and then Stormbluff Isle.

If that's why you play a game you need a social life and probably some therapy.

If that's why you play a game you need a social life and probably some therapy.

So your argument is that people play the very same content, over and over each day they log in, because they enjoy repeating the same thing over and over expecting different results? That is the very definition of insanity.

I started playing GW2 again last night. Is there still no dungeon finder? And now way to sort armor on the trading post by light/medium/heavy?

I started playing GW2 again last night. Is there still no dungeon finder? And now way to sort armor on the trading post by light/medium/heavy?

No in game dungeon finder, most people use this...

http://gw2lfg.com/

Also no way to sort TP based on armor type.

The TP in GW2 is the worst I've ever dealt with, they need to take a page out of the Rift AH book. That AH was sweet.

Last edited:
So your argument is that people play the very same content, over and over each day they log in, because they enjoy repeating the same thing over and over expecting different results? That is the very definition of insanity.

Agreed. Nobody plays MMOs for mindless leveling ... at best game companies try to make leveling less painful, but the real meat of the game is not in the grind. For me, nothing beats drunken guild nights; you just have to fall in with the right group of degenerate lushes and everything falls into place. :cool:

Nobody says you can't go to the bar and drink tooooooo. I do not understand the either-or nature of "you need a social life" statements just because when I play video games I'd rather play it with friends than by myself. It's an ironic notion that it is a sign of a less social person to make an otherwise solitary task communal. I would think the opposite would be the cause of worry.

Simply for the social aspect using the content as just busywork to chat? Thats ridiculous.

I don't think he classified it as "busywork", just another aspect to enjoy.

You need to leave suggestions like "get a social life and therapy" out of these forums. Different strokes for different folks.

Asheron's Call did this better then ANYONE and that was over a decade ago. Events need to end, there needs to be actual storylines that come to a close so that playrs actually feel like they are impacting the world and experiencing things that they will only get to experience for that time and no other.

Couldn't agree more. To this day they still develop new story arcs, and release monthly content. Hell in April they introduced a summoner skill, which to those unfamiliar with AC, its essentially a summoner class because AC uses a skill system instead of a class system.

Made it to Level 80 in Guild Wars 2 months ago..disappointed in lack of end game activity. Just started Rift yesterday, for those of you who liked Guild Wars 1 better than Guild Wars 2 you might want to try the game out, it's free to play and so far I'm liking it more than GW2. There's more choices in character skill customization than it GW2...I'd recommend giving it a try. The graphics are not as crisp as GW2 but so far I'm having a decent time.

Rift was amazing when it launched and I suspect it still is. What wasn't awesome was the deletion of my social life as well as my wifes lol

Rift was amazing when it launched and I suspect it still is. What wasn't awesome was the deletion of my social life as well as my wifes lol

Man I'm loving it, made it to level 21 in 2 days of questing so far, did my first dungeon run last night with a new guild I joined and I am honestly not going back to GW2. The character/class customization that is lacking in GW2 is alive and well in this game and the devs are active in updating the game. You know that trinity group build of healers, tank, damage dealers, support that was taken out of GW2? Well it exists in Rift.

I would strongly recommend any of you guys to try it or atleast check out the homepage for the game.

Man I'm loving it, made it to level 21 in 2 days of questing so far, did my first dungeon run last night with a new guild I joined and I am honestly not going back to GW2. The character/class customization that is lacking in GW2 is alive and well in this game and the devs are active in updating the game. You know that trinity group build of healers, tank, damage dealers, support that was taken out of GW2? Well it exists in Rift.

I would strongly recommend any of you guys to try it or atleast check out the homepage for the game.

Rift like GW2 requires a healthy population for its "unique features" to be any good. The big dynamic events like the invasion events in rift need a good amount of people.

Rift was a good game back in the day, I have heard it's held up pretty well from some friends also. I just didn't find enough PVP enjoyment with it. Personally I'm looking towards ESO for Cyrodil... the devs said it's OK to say you got into the beta, so I'm going to say that too ;).

Rift like GW2 requires a healthy population for its "unique features" to be any good. The big dynamic events like the invasion events in rift need a good amount of people.

I remember when I started playing GW2 at launch. The very first World Boss popped up and it was a pretty epic feeling grouping up with the many many players to take it down.

But this feeling eventually wore off. I haven't played the game in months but I'm sure I will go back to it eventually.

But you're right, the majority of the "Epic" events require a good deal of players to take part. Otherwise it's just 5 players kiting for 30 minutes.

I remember when I started playing GW2 at launch. The very first World Boss popped up and it was a pretty epic feeling grouping up with the many many players to take it down.

But this feeling eventually wore off. I haven't played the game in months but I'm sure I will go back to it eventually.

But you're right, the majority of the "Epic" events require a good deal of players to take part. Otherwise it's just 5 players kiting for 30 minutes.

Its what ruined RIFT for me. An invasion happened and i was the only one in the zone for an hour, invasion won and the quest hubs where gone... Really frustrating when that happens a couple times and made hitting 50 super hard.

Its what ruined RIFT for me. An invasion happened and i was the only one in the zone for an hour, invasion won and the quest hubs where gone... Really frustrating when that happens a couple times and made hitting 50 super hard.

Well I dunno, I'm in the Level 20-27 Zone and it's pretty lively on the server I'm on...I see plenty of people questing and doing rift events. Maybe more people have come onboard since it went free to play. :confused:

Well I dunno, I'm in the Level 20-27 Zone and it's pretty lively on the server I'm on...I see plenty of people questing and doing rift events. Maybe more people have come onboard since it went free to play. :confused:

Yeah this was before the f2p change.

I took a break from GW2 as well and recently started playing again. If you like events, you'll like some changes they've made and some quality of life things you can do to track and participate in events. Below is a like to a mod that allows you to see active events in the game. Particularly world bosses.

ANET introduced some time ago a daily chest reward for killing these world bosses. You are guaranteed a level 80 rare if you use a high level character. You also have a chance at rarer items (eg Final Rest dropping from Shadow Behemoth). You'll see plenty of people in game doing these events.

http://us.gw2stuff.com/en/overlay

The website below allows you to track pre events and active events for any zone on any server in near real time. Very useful for leveling and just general play.

http://primalzed.github.io/GW2ActiveEvents/

A lot of people are complaining about poor performance in the game, and others say performance is just fine. I'm now seeing both sides of it: GW2 seems to be very damned inconsistent.

My PC: i5-2500K OCed to 4.2GHz, GTX 680 at stock clocks, Intel 335 240GB SSD, Win7 64bit, 1680x1050 monitor: CPU around 50%, GPU maxed out at 100%, but with all settings at max and all the checkboxes on, I'm getting around 80 FPS if I turn off Vsync and frame limiter while in town.

My brother-in-law's PC: Intel E6750 at stock 2.66GHz, GTX 275 at stock clocks, HDD (not sure what), WinXP, 1680x1050 monitor: I didn't get to see CPU and GPU usage, or exactly what the settings were, but they're not at all minimums and it's quite playable with FPS at 35 or so.

My sister-in-law's PC: Intel E6600 at stock 2.4GHz, 8800GTX at stock clocks, Samsung 840 SSD, Win8 64bit, 1680x1050 monitor: CPU usage constantly maxed out at 100%, GPU usage around 50%, totally unplayable FPS at around 10 FPS with all settings set to low or off and all the check boxes off. I tried to OC the CPU but the motherboard just isn't having it.

I don't get how an E6600 is so much worse than an E6750. They're not that different - 2.4GHz vs 2.66GHz.

A lot of people are complaining about poor performance in the game, and others say performance is just fine. I'm now seeing both sides of it: GW2 seems to be very damned inconsistent.

My PC: i5-2500K OCed to 4.2GHz, GTX 680 at stock clocks, Intel 335 240GB SSD, Win7 64bit, 1680x1050 monitor: CPU around 50%, GPU maxed out at 100%, but with all settings at max and all the checkboxes on, I'm getting around 80 FPS if I turn off Vsync and frame limiter while in town.

My brother-in-law's PC: Intel E6750 at stock 2.66GHz, GTX 275 at stock clocks, HDD (not sure what), WinXP, 1680x1050 monitor: I didn't get to see CPU and GPU usage, or exactly what the settings were, but they're not at all minimums and it's quite playable with FPS at 35 or so.

My sister-in-law's PC: Intel E6600 at stock 2.4GHz, 8800GTX at stock clocks, Samsung 840 SSD, Win8 64bit, 1680x1050 monitor: CPU usage constantly maxed out at 100%, GPU usage around 50%, totally unplayable FPS at around 10 FPS with all settings set to low or off and all the check boxes off. I tried to OC the CPU but the motherboard just isn't having it.

I don't get how an E6600 is so much worse than an E6750. They're not that different - 2.4GHz vs 2.66GHz.

I'd expect anything with a 8xxx series video card to run the game like crap, that card is close to 7 years old right now. I wouldn't trust the usage graphs so much to determine why the game runs at 10 FPS.

I can chime in a bit on performance. I have this game installed on my pc and my girlfriend's pc. My gf has an i7 3930 k (stock) processor, 16 gigs of ram, and a geforce 660. Her rig runs this game perfect with almost no instances of chunky framerate and I'm able to turn on all reflections and run all settings at high(1920 by 1080). My pc on the other hand has its difficulties with this game.

I'm running a first generation i7 860(stock), 12 gigs of ram and a geforce 480. The game is very playable, but it regularly dips into the low 20's with a pretty inconsistent framerate ranging from 22-80 fps. . It is really difficult to play this game on my comp after playing it on hers as the game is just so much smoother on her rig. Running this game on all low doesn't seem to alleviate the dips, but it does make the game look like crap :p I run most of the settings at high, but reflections set to terrain and sky(1920 by 1080).

My guess is that my processor is the bottleneck, although my gpu is getting a little long in the tooth as well. Still, I was hoping for a more consistent framerate with my pc because it handles just about everything else just fine.

I'd expect anything with a 8xxx series video card to run the game like crap, that card is close to 7 years old right now. I wouldn't trust the usage graphs so much to determine why the game runs at 10 FPS.

How, then, do you explain reports that the game runs at 30 to 40 FPS on low settings at 1440x900 on an Intel HD 3000? An 8800GTX hands the Intel HD 3000 its ass in every way possible.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-/63886148

Guild Wars 2 is F2P from 8/23/2013 until 8/25/2013. This free trial is to allow prospective buyers on the fence to come and try out the game for free. :) It doesn't have a subscription fee so you can come and go as you please. Great game worth your time to download and give it a try. You can register now and download the client in advance so you can hop right in on the 23rd.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/register-today-for-the-guild-wars-2-free-trial-on-august-23-25/
Awesome, I have a couple of friends who are very frugal about games and have been dying to try it.

I just started playing again... I have no idea what's going on, but my framerates are terrible. Worse than before, this despite going from a 2500K @ 4.3 GHz to a 4770K @ 4.3 GHz with both faster RAM and adding a second 7970.

It's especially bad in Lion's Arch... panning the camera around temporarily drops it down to 1-2 FPS, otherwise it's usually in the 30-40 range. WvW is almost unplayable at times. My 3DMark scores are comparable to other systems similar to mine, other games seem to play fine, and I did try disabling CF just in case the game didn't like that, so I'm not sure what's going on. :(

Browsing the GW2 tech support forum, it seems clear that the game is just plain poorly optimized.

I would note that one of the big differences between the 2500K and the 4770K is that the latter has hyperthreading; you may wish to try turning it off.

Browsing the GW2 tech support forum, it seems clear that the game is just plain poorly optimized.

I would note that one of the big differences between the 2500K and the 4770K is that the latter has hyperthreading; you may wish to try turning it off.

Yeah, I don't doubt it's poorly optimized, but it seems weird I'd see this drastic a change in performance. I'll try disabling HT, but it must really hate it if that's the cause.

Back during beta and when the game was new I remember it seeming like I got subpar performance compared to other people here with similar (or inferior) rigs, but it was still much more playable than it is right now.

Last edited:
My friend is pushing me to pick this up...worth it for $30?

Yes, even if you just play through the game from 1 to 80 and do nothing else.

Yeah, I don't doubt it's poorly optimized, but it seems weird I'd see this drastic a change in performance. I'll try disabling HT, but it must really hate it if that's the cause.

Back during beta and when the game was new I remember it seeming like I got subpar performance compared to other people here with similar (or inferior) rigs, but it was still much more playable than it is right now.

I posted a thread on the tech forum detailing your exact issue with my 7970. Heck, my laptop with a GTX 660M had better performance at the same settings. I'm also the guy that tried turning off HT and it fixed the issue - briefly (that 'solution' might be floating around the internet now, oops). Now I suspect the two had nothing to do with each other and it was a happy coincidence. For me, once every 10 or so bootups it would be perfectly fine (40-50 fps in LA). Every other time, it was 15 FPS or lower in LA.

I ultimately fixed this (I believe - knock on wood...) a few days ago. What I did was uninstall the AMD drivers then use atiman to do a driver sweep and of course reinstall the latest drivers. I haven't had the best experience with driver sweeper software in the past (causing more issues than it fixed), but this did the trick for me. I had tried just vanilla uninstalling and reinstalling a few times before and those attempts failed at fixing the issue.

I have also read comments that disabling cpu core parking can help Guild Wars 2. You can either do that with either the Coder Bag app or the ParkControl app. The two apps have different looks but what they are ultimately doing is the same thing as a registry hack for Windows 7 (but do not do the registry hack and then attempt to use the apps, because that will mess up the apps).

This is primarily a fix for Windows 7 and Intel i7 CPUs. Wiindows 8 handles core parking much better than Windows 7 does; there was even a hotfix for AMD CPUs on Windows 7 to permanently disable core parking because it was really bad on Bulldozer CPUs; and it seemed to have more effect on i7 CPUs than i5 CPUs, presumably due to Hyperthreading.

Last edited:
I posted a thread on the tech forum detailing your exact issue with my 7970. Heck, my laptop with a GTX 660M had better performance at the same settings. I'm also the guy that tried turning off HT and it fixed the issue - briefly (that 'solution' might be floating around the internet now, oops). Now I suspect the two had nothing to do with each other and it was a happy coincidence. For me, once every 10 or so bootups it would be perfectly fine (40-50 fps in LA). Every other time, it was 15 FPS or lower in LA.

I ultimately fixed this (I believe - knock on wood...) a few days ago. What I did was uninstall the AMD drivers then use atiman to do a driver sweep and of course reinstall the latest drivers. I haven't had the best experience with driver sweeper software in the past (causing more issues than it fixed), but this did the trick for me. I had tried just vanilla uninstalling and reinstalling a few times before and those attempts failed at fixing the issue.

Well, I can hit 30-40 (sometimes 50+) FPS in LA, it's really panning the camera around that kills it briefly (but long enough to be insanely annoying). It's like loading new assets, especially character models, is extremely bottlenecked or something. But I don't know where, game is installed on an SSD, I have nice new 16GB DDR3-2133 Cas9 that appears to be working just fine, and I used GPU-Z to verify that my cards aren't running in 2D clocks or anything weird like that.

Gonna try cleaning the drivers probably anyway, but I'm on a fresh install of Windows so there aren't any older drivers lurking around messing with my current ones.

I have also read comments that disabling cpu core parking can help Guild Wars 2. You can either do that with either the Coder Bag app or the ParkControl app. The two apps have different looks but what they are ultimately doing is the same thing as a registry hack for Windows 7 (but do not do the registry hack and then attempt to use the apps, because that will mess up the apps).

It's worth a try as some people claim to have experienced benefits. For me, it made no difference.

Shocked, have you tried disabling crossfire?

I have a 7970 and have been playing since launch without issue. My FPS in packed Lion's Arch sucks too (probably 30FPS), but it doesn't stutter. I'm curious, are you guys are using 32-bit or 64-bit OS (and what version of Windows while we're at it)?

Back