• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

This game is polished as a diamond, not sure what you're talking about. If its not your cup of tea, move on. There are other games out there and this one is going to be big for years and years for most people.

I'm not talking about polish, I'm talking about tuning and balancing. Are you seriously saying that you haven't run across personal story quests that were ridiculously difficult?
 
I'm not talking about polish, I'm talking about tuning and balancing. Are you seriously saying that you haven't run across personal story quests that were ridiculously difficult?

yeah some are retarded hard. not to mention poor optimization.
 
Is this problem of stat allocation on karma gear only a problem for certain classes? Have you considered mixing/matching different sets along with transmutation stones to get a cohesive look?

Anyway, I guess it's refreshing to hear that "too much karma" is a problem at end-game seeing as how the cool looking leveling stuff (cultural weapons/armor for levels 40 and 60) is so prohibitively expensive. But I guess there's no point to complaining about that seeing as how a lot of that leveling gear shares skins with stuff you can buy for pennies on the TP.

At the end of the day, with no monthly fee, I don't really particularly care if there's only x amount of content hours at end game though. I'm just going to focus on leveling new toons, working towards 100% map completion, and some WvWvW. If I get bored with it, well, I got my money's worth already and my main isn't even 80 yet.
 
yeah some are retarded hard. not to mention poor optimization.

Yeah, I get sick of graveyard zerging story missions just because the game somehow thinks it's OK to swarm a player doing a solo mission with 10 mobs at once. :mad: :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, I get sick of graveyard zerging story missions just because the game somehow thinks it's OK to swarm a player doing a solo mission with 10 mobs at once. :mad: :rolleyes:

hahaha or how about when a mob is 2 levels above you its red and it takes about x10 as long to kill it
 
Honestly I'm straight up disappointed with the greatsword. I *want* to love it. Playing a guy that goes up fearlessly with a big f*cking sword and kills everything is why I picked the warrior class. But it just doesn't have any mobility at all. I've switched to sword/axe focusing on bleeds. Hundred Blades is an awesome skill but it's so frustrating watching it miss because mobs are just a little too far away and I can't do anything once I've started because moving just interrupts it and starts the cooldown.

I started out the game liking the greatsword and wanting to use it.

It has insane dps however the 2nd skill (The quick slashing one) which is a channel is the mian problem. It loccks you into place, you can't move (or it cancels) and just completely makes me lose all appeal for it.

I found the Sword main hand and axe off hand to be the best in terms of mobility and dps.

You can move while using any move (no channels that lock you in place) plus with the sword you have a leap to get into battle (or get away) and an insane spin move.
 
Honestly I'm straight up disappointed with the greatsword. I *want* to love it. Playing a guy that goes up fearlessly with a big f*cking sword and kills everything is why I picked the warrior class. But it just doesn't have any mobility at all. I've switched to sword/axe focusing on bleeds. Hundred Blades is an awesome skill but it's so frustrating watching it miss because mobs are just a little too far away and I can't do anything once I've started because moving just interrupts it and starts the cooldown.

To each his own, thats whats great about GW2. Only thing i will say is what do you mean greatsword has no mobility? It has more than any other combo for warriors. Do you mean you cant spin in circles around mobs/players because of the channel? If so stop doing that anyway this isnt WoW.
 
idk about you guys.. but i am about to hit 45 and the gear i crafted is both amazing looking and amazing stat wise.



crafting is where its at. i have only bought one insignia recipe with my karma
 
To each his own, thats whats great about GW2. Only thing i will say is what do you mean greatsword has no mobility? It has more than any other combo for warriors. Do you mean you cant spin in circles around mobs/players because of the channel? If so stop doing that anyway this isnt WoW.

Sword/axe has more mobility than the greatsword. The main DPS ability for the greatsword (100 Blades) locks you in place and prevents all movement.
 
To each his own, thats whats great about GW2. Only thing i will say is what do you mean greatsword has no mobility? It has more than any other combo for warriors. Do you mean you cant spin in circles around mobs/players because of the channel? If so stop doing that anyway this isnt WoW.

This. I don't know what you're doing but if you can't handle the Greatsword as a Warrior then you're doing it wrong. Even more so if you claim no mobility, hell it's really really easy to dodge things while doing damage, press 3 to whirlwind through/away from the mob and then 5 to rush back to business.
 
idk about you guys.. but i am about to hit 45 and the gear i crafted is both amazing looking and amazing stat wise.



crafting is where its at. i have only bought one insignia recipe with my karma

And the issue with that is crafting is undermined by the TP. With no investment in the skill you can buy the same gear for coppers. Again, Diablo3-esque AH undermining actual player acquired gear. Surprised no one has complained about it with GW2.

I know with my alt, zone completion / story rewards are easily outclassed by the TP now that it's up. This wasn't true with my main.
 
This. I don't know what you're doing but if you can't handle the Greatsword as a Warrior then you're doing it wrong. Even more so if you claim no mobility, hell it's really really easy to dodge things while doing damage, press 3 to whirlwind through/away from the mob and then 5 to rush back to business.

The greatswords main damage output (2) is a lock in-channel based ability, you can not move while doing it, you get cc'd and your dmg goes kaput.

The sword/axe ont he other hand has a leap, a whilrwind ability that allows you to move around while doing it and a cripple to slow + double hit for dmg. Every single ability you can move while doing, unlike the greatsword.

Mobaility is far better with that combo then a greatsword simply because of the lock on channel you have.
 
And the issue with that is crafting is undermined by the TP. With no investment in the skill you can buy the same gear for coppers. Again, Diablo3-esque AH undermining actual player acquired gear. Surprised no one has complained about it with GW2.

I know with my alt, zone completion / story rewards are easily outclassed by the TP now that it's up. This wasn't true with my main.

I hate the way the TP works right now. Having a price floor for crafted goods that's higher than the vendor cost would fix a lot of it. You literally cannot sell gear on the TP without losing money much of the time (default price is vendor price, but if you sell on the TP at vendor price you also lose the listing fee, so you'd be better off just vendoring it.)

At the end of the day, crafting is pointless until end-game when you can craft the stuff you need to make exotics. The cost for the crafting materials/rarity of them is way out of sync with what you can actually make from selling what you craft.
 
And the issue with that is crafting is undermined by the TP. With no investment in the skill you can buy the same gear for coppers. Again, Diablo3-esque AH undermining actual player acquired gear. Surprised no one has complained about it with GW2.

I know with my alt, zone completion / story rewards are easily outclassed by the TP now that it's up. This wasn't true with my main.

And like has been said more than once thats how every MMO has ever worked. The prices are determined by the players not the game. You always get more for the mats then the finished product up until the most high end craftable items. This is all old hat.
 
The greatswords main damage output (2) is a lock in-channel based ability, you can not move while doing it, you get cc'd and your dmg goes kaput.

The sword/axe ont he other hand has a leap, a whilrwind ability that allows you to move around while doing it and a cripple to slow + double hit for dmg. Every single ability you can move while doing, unlike the greatsword.

Mobaility is far better with that combo then a greatsword simply because of the lock on channel you have.

So, learn to play around it? Even if you get CCd and lose one round of the second ability its still more DPS than your combo AND more mobility. Just because one single ability locks you down (which is easy to deal with, wait for mob to try to CC then dodge and use it). Considering how few mobs actually CC it dont matter anyway and so far from what i have seen the ones that do CC use unavoidable ones that would hurt your combo just as much.
 
So, learn to play around it? Even if you get CCd and lose one round of the second ability its still more DPS than your combo AND more mobility. Just because one single ability locks you down (which is easy to deal with, wait for mob to try to CC then dodge and use it). Considering how few mobs actually CC it dont matter anyway and so far from what i have seen the ones that do CC use unavoidable ones that would hurt your combo just as much.

I take it you aren't high lv.

At higher lv's (50+) A TON of npc's have some form of knockdowns/stuns, etc.

(knock downs do stop the whirlwind and other abilities like that as well so it's a moot point there).

I'm just saying, the greatsword doesn't give as much mobility >while< doing damage compared to the sword/axe combo.

in WvWvW using your 2nd skill an dlocking yourself into a place can end up hurting you bad, all they have to do is dodge/step back.

With Whiildwind you can still stick to people, chase, move, and do aoe damage in every single direction instead of one. (Whirlwind doesn't work like the greatswords "3" ability, you still retain full movement with the w/s/a/d when you use it and don't have to move at all if you don't want to.

No one here is saying the greatsword is bad or terrible, it can have insane dps and many people are great with them, we are just saying because of it's main damage ability rooting you into place it stops some of us from enjoying it because of the lack of mobility it offers compared to other weapon combinations.
 
I take it you aren't high lv.

At higher lv's (50+) A TON of npc's have some form of knockdowns/stuns, etc.

(knock downs do stop the whirlwind and other abilities like that as well so it's a moot point there).

I'm just saying, the greatsword doesn't give as much mobility >while< doing damage compared to the sword/axe combo.

in WvWvW using your 2nd skill an dlocking yourself into a place can end up hurting you bad, all they have to do is dodge/step back.

With Whiildwind you can still stick to people, chase, move, and do aoe damage in every single direction instead of one. (Whirlwind doesn't work like the greatswords "3" ability, you still retain full movement with the w/s/a/d when you use it and don't have to move at all if you don't want to.

No one here is saying the greatsword is bad or terrible, it can have insane dps and many people are great with them, we are just saying because of it's main damage ability rooting you into place it stops some of us from enjoying it because of the lack of mobility it offers compared to other weapon combinations.

In wvwvw melee weapons just plain suck. Grab a bow and aoe from a distance. Leave the melee to thieves.
 
In wvwvw melee weapons just plain suck. Grab a bow and aoe from a distance. Leave the melee to thieves.

Rifle does more dmg then bow (and better range to boot) longbow for warriors has a terrible terrible range. I would like to use one as I'd prefer the look/feel of th elongbow but as it stands the longbow is the worst range choice for a warrior by far, you can't even use your AOE abilities on top of a keeps walls because the range is so damn short for warriors (it's shorter for them then rangers) unless the person is right up against the wall you are standing on, everyone else you'll see "out of range"

As far as melee weapons, I have played quite a bit of wvwvw and i find it best to switch and combo them.

Don't just use melee 100% or range 100%. Range is safer then melee yes, but at times when you use it wisely you can do huge damage.

When people are already engaged in a melee with fairly lsimilar numbers, you can leap in, use whirlwind and pop off about 2k dmg to everyone in your AOE radius, then dodge out of melee and switch back to rifle.

Also at times when a thief or someone jumps you , switching to melee and making their invis useless is fun (your f1 ability roots people) then you can spin to win and hit them even if they are invis.
 
I'm not talking about polish, I'm talking about tuning and balancing. Are you seriously saying that you haven't run across personal story quests that were ridiculously difficult?

Depends on the class. Some classes are easier than others. I find that high survival classes like Warrior, Ranger and Guardian can complete personal story quests easily a few levels higher than your character without much issue, but caster classes tend to have a tougher road where as I need to be at least the recommended level. I chalk this up as par for the course though, some classes are simply easier to play than others.
 
the whole point of this game is to enjoy it over a long period of time, theres no need to rush it. i think that you just whipped through the content too quickly man.

games should be played in moderation :)

I tend to agree here, nothing against anyone that has made it to level 80 already but you had to have rushed through the game in 2 weeks to get there. Because of that, the feeling is going to be less satisfying when you have nothing else to do. This game is designed to last for many years as the first one did. Ultimately GW 2 like is predeccesor is still a PvP game at heart, its just that the PvE has been redone to become a true MMO now.

This is exactly the reason why I'm currently leveling 6 classes at the same time. I get the benefit of experiencing the game through different classes and abilities which keeps things fresh. And I'm not spoiled by the power of a level 80 character only to have to start over again from scratch and feel like a wimp. Sure my highest level character is only 28 right now, but I'm enjoying the ride as seen through the viewpoint of 6 different classes.
 
Just started a Mesmer last night. Class is kind of cool but it does seem quite weak early on. Using Scepter/Pistol and Staff. The class does seem slightly boring thought to me. Might move onto a Thief or Warrior.
 
I recommend warrior if you like melee. Very versatile. Greatsword is fun for PvE, but stay away from it in WvW. You can be a very valuable WvW support class with shouts/banners.
 
Just started a Mesmer last night. Class is kind of cool but it does seem quite weak early on. Using Scepter/Pistol and Staff. The class does seem slightly boring thought to me. Might move onto a Thief or Warrior.

Mesmer is not for everyone for sure. Honestly, it was more fun to play in the original GW. Its going to be harder as a Mesmer, you won't do as much damage and you won't feel very powerful or tough. It can be fun if you really embrace the role of confusing your enemy and kiting a lot. You might also try using a greatsword, it seems retarded to use a mesmer with a greatsword but the skills they've given you with a greatsword are actually pretty effective. The one handed sword has some really fun skills too but it really puts you in harms way.
 
So, I'm getting curious as to what this games performance issues are. All the people I play with have the same problem, although we are all on Nvidia hardware. I'm running 2560x1440 with vsync on, and the game cannot maintain 60fps with lots of drops to around 2 fps. I wouldn't be annoyed by this, except my CPU/GPU use is both under 50%, and my GPU keeps downclocking itself because there is simply no load even with max settings. Forcing settings in the nvidia control panel just causes massive stuttering.

For the record, I have a 680, but the two people I play with normally have a 470 and a 670 respectively and have the same exact issues with drivers ranging from the newest 306 to 270.something on the 470.
 
So, I'm getting curious as to what this games performance issues are. All the people I play with have the same problem, although we are all on Nvidia hardware. I'm running 2560x1440 with vsync on, and the game cannot maintain 60fps with lots of drops to around 2 fps. I wouldn't be annoyed by this, except my CPU/GPU use is both under 50%, and my GPU keeps downclocking itself because there is simply no load even with max settings. Forcing settings in the nvidia control panel just causes massive stuttering.

For the record, I have a 680, but the two people I play with normally have a 470 and a 670 respectively and have the same exact issues with drivers ranging from the newest 306 to 270.something on the 470.

The lowest drop I've seen I think is 39 fps. I hope new drivers fix it.
 
So, I'm getting curious as to what this games performance issues are. All the people I play with have the same problem, although we are all on Nvidia hardware. I'm running 2560x1440 with vsync on, and the game cannot maintain 60fps with lots of drops to around 2 fps. I wouldn't be annoyed by this, except my CPU/GPU use is both under 50%, and my GPU keeps downclocking itself because there is simply no load even with max settings. Forcing settings in the nvidia control panel just causes massive stuttering.

For the record, I have a 680, but the two people I play with normally have a 470 and a 670 respectively and have the same exact issues with drivers ranging from the newest 306 to 270.something on the 470.

If it is downclocking try running a youtube flash video in the background. Apparently that is working for some people. It won't help with GPU util though. I only get 40% max utilization of CPU and GPU even when FPS chugs.
 
So, I'm getting curious as to what this games performance issues are. All the people I play with have the same problem, although we are all on Nvidia hardware. I'm running 2560x1440 with vsync on, and the game cannot maintain 60fps with lots of drops to around 2 fps. I wouldn't be annoyed by this, except my CPU/GPU use is both under 50%, and my GPU keeps downclocking itself because there is simply no load even with max settings. Forcing settings in the nvidia control panel just causes massive stuttering.

For the record, I have a 680, but the two people I play with normally have a 470 and a 670 respectively and have the same exact issues with drivers ranging from the newest 306 to 270.something on the 470.

I'm using an overlocked 670, with the 306 beta drivers, my frames stay around 60fps most all of the time in PvE with occasionally drops in the 40's with a lot of on screen action or some areas of Lions Arch, my GPU usage is almost always 95% or above. I also use the maximum graphics settings with supersamplling rendering in the graphics menu as well. I will say that supersampling compared to native will cause frames to drop in areas of heavy foliage, shrubs, grass, etc. I have no reason to believe that those people with AMD hardware are able to run the game any better.
 
I'm using an overlocked 670, with the 306 beta drivers, my frames stay around 60fps most all of the time in PvE with occasionally drops in the 40's with a lot of on screen action or some areas of Lions Arch, my GPU usage is almost always 95% or above. I also use the maximum graphics settings with supersamplling rendering in the graphics menu as well. I will say that supersampling compared to native will cause frames to drop in areas of heavy foliage, shrubs, grass, etc. I have no reason to believe that those people with AMD hardware are able to run the game any better.

That's the weird thing. In Lions Arch I get 99% GPU utilization. I go out into a big WvW fight and it's 40% CPU and 40% GPU but the frames chug to 30 fps. The engine is capable of utilizing the GPU fully, I just don't know why it does not in some cases.
 
That's the weird thing. In Lions Arch I get 99% GPU utilization. I go out into a big WvW fight and it's 40% CPU and 40% GPU but the frames chug to 30 fps. The engine is capable of utilizing the GPU fully, I just don't know why it does not in some cases.

This complaint seems most common in WvWvW so I don't think its a driver issue since the game engine doesn't change, I wonder if its simply a coding issue in the WvWvW areas or the extreme amount of players on screen that cause it since the only frame rate drops I ever see in PvE is when there's a lot of people on screen in a boss battle.
 
There are some places in GW2 that absolutely destroy your performance if Vsync is on. No idea why, I had 0 problems with it in the Norn areas... then I went to Charr country, at which point I tanked from buttery smooth to slide show.

Turned Vsync off, good as new. I think there are still some kinks to work out. ;)
 
There are some places in GW2 that absolutely destroy your performance if Vsync is on. No idea why, I had 0 problems with it in the Norn areas... then I went to Charr country, at which point I tanked from buttery smooth to slide show.

Turned Vsync off, good as new. I think there are still some kinks to work out. ;)

I tried with vsync off but I get awful tearing, and adaptive vsync causes the game to run at a steady 20fps. The in-game frame limiter doesn't seem to do anything at all.
 
Only time I have ever dropped below 40fps on my 670 with everything on is going into Lions Arch which Super Sampling on...then there was massive stutter. After I turned it off, everything has been butter smooth.
 
I tried with vsync off but I get awful tearing, and adaptive vsync causes the game to run at a steady 20fps. The in-game frame limiter doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Adpative V-sync has issues in many games, I'm starting to believe it was all just marekting nonsense. I still use traditional V-sync without any issues. As for the frame limiter it most certainly does work, however I'm not sure why it doesn't work correctly. When set to 60fps, it caps my framerate to 50fps. I don't know what that accomplishes so I just turn it off and use V-sync instead.
 
adaptive vsync in this game causes lots of tearing

so many melee haters for pvp. i rape pvp with my thief. i have a sylvari so i have that scorpion move.. i think its sylvari only atleast. anyways it just yanks them towards me and i pull them off the walls of castles and we just pounce. plus i got my dagger storm for pvp and its hilarious. i steal and pop it and everything melts. 4k crits

thief is retarded burst and not to mention you look cooler and cooler. my level 55 set is amazing looking
 
Mesmer is not for everyone for sure. Honestly, it was more fun to play in the original GW. Its going to be harder as a Mesmer, you won't do as much damage and you won't feel very powerful or tough. It can be fun if you really embrace the role of confusing your enemy and kiting a lot. You might also try using a greatsword, it seems retarded to use a mesmer with a greatsword but the skills they've given you with a greatsword are actually pretty effective. The one handed sword has some really fun skills too but it really puts you in harms way.

I hit 80 on my mesmer last night. I decided to take a break before tackling any endgame content, so I made a couple of alts and started up a warrior.

I will say this: Mesmer doesn't really come into it's own until you have 50ish trait points to spend, and you can craft/buy the appropriate gear for the build you're trying to run. For sPvP, I will definitely main the mesmer. It's a dominant force for dueling/small group combat.

On the other hand, the lowbie warrior I made tore through mobs like it was going out of style with little effort required. Charge in, mash debuff/damage ability, autoattack to death. Works like a charm. By comparison, setting up clones to do damage with the mesmer seems absurdly complicated. For farming, the required setup to do damage is just a little too high to warrant the return. It's just not efficient time wise. So I'm trying out some other classes to find a farming toon.

For WvW, right now it's totally dominated by ranged. I really feel bad for melee in this environment because the viability of "charge in, kick ass" melee characters in zerg-based pvp was always determined by how good their healers/dispellers were in MMOs. With no dedicated healers, I see melee falling by the wayside for big group combat. Being up in the middle of the enemy zerg is asking for a nightmare of CC and death.

So I'm looking at a ranger, an elementalist, or an engineer or thief(who at least has some escape mechanics from what I've seen) as my WvW character.

Overall, now that I've gotten through my first playthrough to 80, I can say that the game is amazing, and despite the few quirks expected in any new game, this has been a great investment.
 
adaptive vsync in this game causes lots of tearing

so many melee haters for pvp. i rape pvp with my thief. i have a sylvari so i have that scorpion move.. i think its sylvari only atleast. anyways it just yanks them towards me and i pull them off the walls of castles and we just pounce. plus i got my dagger storm for pvp and its hilarious. i steal and pop it and everything melts. 4k crits

thief is retarded burst and not to mention you look cooler and cooler. my level 55 set is amazing looking

Thief is a lot of fun to play, just a bit soft, really have to keep moving to keep from getting pinned down. I love the animations though of a lot of his attacks.
 
Back
Top