The Nintendo Switch 2 Thread

Star Wars: Hunters- Official Cinematic Trailer

coming in 2022...

Just what we need, more trash multi-player games trying to cash in on a license. It's as if they haven't raped the star wars license enough they have to give Zynga a turn. I really hate modern gaming culture and fads.

Huh? Smash only has one more character incoming. Most people seem to think it'll be either Phoenix Wright or Dante, but only Nintendo (and people they issued an NDA to) know for sure.

I don't play Smash. However, everyone knows it should be Hornet. :p

Hornet.gif

Here's a bigger reason switch 2 won't be next year:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/687059/nintendo-switch-unit-sales-worldwide/#:~:text=Global unit sales of Nintendo Switch console 2017-2020&text=Since its launch on March,over 65 million consoles worldwide.

Many places are still in supply shortages for christmas, like they can't make them fast enough. Why pay NVDA for a new model?

https://mynintendonews.com/2021/09/...-tools-from-nintendo-to-make-4k-switch-games/

I love being right :)

2023 and it will launch with the new Zelda. Book it.

Some of these outlets were saying a 4k switch was this year as well. I'll believe it when I see it, and of course get it. Will get the OLED one as well!

A big theory is that they intended to introduce a Switch with better hardware this year----but the chip shortages caused them to delay. But maybe they had already committed some OLED orders and orders for an upgraded dock (includes a wired network port) and whatever they did to improve the sound. So they went ahead and released the OLED switch with the current CPU/GPU.

And this is further supported from recent hardware teardowns of the OLED switch dock, which has hardware in it that can support 4K output.

A big theory is that they intended to introduce a Switch with better hardware this year----but the chip shortages caused them to delay. But maybe they had already committed some OLED orders and orders for an upgraded dock (includes a wired network port) and whatever they did to improve the sound. So they went ahead and released the OLED switch with the current CPU/GPU.

And this is further supported from recent hardware teardowns of the OLED switch dock, which has hardware in it that can support 4K output.
This all seems very rational, which is un-Nintendo like.

I picked up an OLED Switch today as a family Christmas gift. Any recommendations for family-friendly fitness games? I got Ring Fit Adventure and Fitness Boxing 2 with it, without really looking into them much. Anything else? Any general recommendations for non-fitness family games?

I picked up an OLED Switch today as a family Christmas gift. Any recommendations for family-friendly fitness games? I got Ring Fit Adventure and Fitness Boxing 2 with it, without really looking into them much. Anything else? Any general recommendations for non-fitness family games?

Human Fall Flat
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Link's Awakening Remake
Hot wheels racing game
Lego Marvel Superheroes 1 and 2

make sure to check Deku Deals for pricing whatever Switch games you may be interested in.

you also may want to get an extra set of joycons

**Ring Fit is supposed to be fantastic, BTW.

Human Fall Flat
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Link's Awakening Remake
Hot wheels racing game

make sure to check Deku Deals for pricing whatever Switch games you may be interested in.

Thanks! Yeah I got an extra set of joycons.

Human Fall Flat
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Link's Awakening Remake
Hot wheels racing game

Ring Fit is fantastic. Also an actual workout, if very cardio focused.

Just Dance is also super cheap (grab 2020 or 2021 or whatever) and is quite the fitness game. The yearly subscription is pretty mandatory for getting the most out of it though. They usually have sales around the holidays that make a year subscription cost like $20.

Ring Fit is fantastic. Also an actual workout, if very cardio focused.

Just Dance is also super cheap (grab 2020 or 2021 or whatever) and is quite the fitness game. The yearly subscription is pretty mandatory for getting the most out of it though. They usually have sales around the holidays that make a year subscription cost like $20.
+1 for Ring Fit. I play it on days that I can't make it to the gym for whatever reason. Although I try to do more weight training than cardio lately, some of the strength exercises with the band can hit pretty good too. I've thought about making a thread here though for us to friend each other on, because the stat/competition tracking of it seems pretty fun too.

I just upgraded to Switch OLED from my original launch switch.

Well I suspect that if I return to the original model I would be disappointed in the difference between the two displays and while I am a big proponent of OLED technology, I believe that owners of the original unit should exercise restraint and weight for a truly upgraded console to launch. Contrary to what other people have said the slightly larger screen does make the 720 P resolution images slightly less crisp which of course is a result of the same resolution being stretched over a larger screen. Well there’s no question that black levels are much improved and colors are all so much approve it is also true that the games themselves are not particularly visually striking and I do not find that the only displaWell there’s no question that black levels are much improved and colors are all so much approve it is also true that the games themselves are not particularly visually striking and I do not find that the OLED Display at 720p brings much of anything to the table for these games. It is a type of difference that you will not appreciate unless and until you see them side-by-side by at a $350 asking price this is really a tough sell for people that already have a switch.

In breath of the wild for example I felt that the new display if anything only further exposed just how dated under powered the underlying GPU hardware is in the system. I do not believe that the image quality is as good as what you see on your television when you dock the system and the resolution increases. 720 P is 720 P and as much as I like better black levels and contrast and better colors this in no way feels like a next GEN experience. I am actually considering returning the unit simply because I suspect Nintendo will launch an operating unit at some point over the next few years and I just do not believe the difference is big enough to justify spending $350 on another switch now and then another $350 for a brand new system in a few years.

In Metroid dread for example, again that a lot of reviewers have touted as a good showcase of the systems abilities I just do not see that big of a difference. If anything the slightly lower pixel density is an annoyance.

There’s no question that the switch OLED is the best Version of the switch on the market but this is still the same switch that launched in 2017 and there is just no getting around it’s technical deficiencies.

I personally am more than a little tired of Nintendo not bringing a fire power to the table.

I also add the build quality that some people have been raving about is just not there. My wife left joy con has a squeaky springy sound to it but my original does not and I ended up taking it off and putting my old joy cons on. The unit itself has been told by some reviewer‘s is feeling more premium but that is simply not my experience. To me it feels like the same switch with a larger screen and I do not feel like when I hold it in my hands I am holding some kind of fancy new technology. It is underwhelming in every way and frankly I strongly recommend against upgrading.

To be clear there is no question that the OLED is is more capable than the original display but the subjective gaming experience is mostly unchanged and frankly I do not find myself wanting to replay games that I have not played in a while just to see them on the OLED. I find myself firing up the same old games and saying to myself wow this still looks really dated. In fact most it was dated at launch. So as someone who has been a big fan of Nintendo since 1986 I advise strongly against wasting money on this new device if you already have a switch. I am excited about the prospect of an OLED display being incorporated into a new console when they do eventually launch one but this is just completely underwhelming.

I grabbed one too. I actually love it. But then, my main goal was to trickle mine to one of my daughters, then the "family" Switch to another daughter, so that we had another one in the house. By default, the OLED version was the best route to take since I was buying another one for myself anyway. I agree that it's not the most amazing upgrade in the world, but it was definitely worth the bit of extra cash, and the screen looks great. I agree that a proper upgraded Switch will be much more compelling, and I'll be getting one when it's available. However, anyone buying a Switch now, should probably get the OLED IMO.

I grabbed one too. I actually love it. But then, my main goal was to trickle mine to one of my daughters, then the "family" Switch to another daughter, so that we had another one in the house. By default, the OLED version was the best route to take since I was buying another one for myself anyway. I agree that it's not the most amazing upgrade in the world, but it was definitely worth the bit of extra cash, and the screen looks great. I agree that a proper upgraded Switch will be much more compelling, and I'll be getting one when it's available. However, anyone buying a Switch now, should probably get the OLED IMO.
I agree with this. NEED a new Switch? Get OLED, of course.

I really hope BOTW2 makes it onto a truely new machine because it really deserves better GPU hardware than Switch has on board.

I agree with this. NEED a new Switch? Get OLED, of course.

I really hope BOTW2 makes it onto a truely new machine because it really deserves better GPU hardware than Switch has on board.
BOTW2 needs to swallow some pride and expand it's dev team by 400%. It might be on switch 3.

BOTW had a dev team with around 300 people and it took like 8 years. BOTW 2 will be done when it's done.

I also want a more powerful switch though. In the meantime I think I'm gonna replace the battery on my launch Switch and see if that helps its terrible battery life, I can barely get 2 hours out of it while playing something intense like SMT V.

BOTW had a dev team with around 300 people and it took like 8 years. BOTW 2 will be done when it's done.

I also want a more powerful switch though. In the meantime I think I'm gonna replace the battery on my launch Switch and see if that helps its terrible battery life, I can barely get 2 hours out of it while playing something intense like SMT V.
300 people should have had 2 done in no-time. They already have an engine, they already have animations, assets. Heck they have a massive, massive open world that's 90% empty, an expansion from a different team would have sold like hotcakes and required little investment.

Breath of the Wild already has expansions. They're also pretty big. And they sold well. 🤨

This is a sequel.

300 people should have had 2 done in no-time. They already have an engine, they already have animations, assets. Heck they have a massive, massive open world that's 90% empty, an expansion from a different team would have sold like hotcakes and required little investment.

Maybe not "no time" but that's definitely plenty of people. If they re-use the engine, but crank it up a bit, fill in the world more, add some real dungeons (I know I know "divine beasts" yada yada, but no... REAL DUNGEONS) dial in the weapon damage to be at least a little more realistic (even in game-terms), and release new hardware to play it at 60FPS I will be VERY happy. I agree that it shouldn't take them forever to do this, but you know, they take their time, and that's why their games don't exhibit many problems. (whether you like them or not is down to taste) but objectively speaking Nintendo's games are more or less problem free.

I’d rather they just take their time.
Be careful what you wish for - it Took them over a decade to release a true next-gen replacement for the Gamecube!

If they had to reset that clock with the permanent transition to a phone form-factor, you could be waiting as late as 2027!

Hotline Miami
Witcher 3
Doom

Back