The Nintendo Switch 2 Thread

Armenius

Fully [H]
Shortage might delay it to 2022.
Don't know about other components, but Orin is supposedly on Samsung 5nm which is fabbed in South Korea. I'm not aware of what customers are lined up for that process. Samsung started manufacturing 5nm parts in the latter half of last year. My guess would be 4Q CY 2021 - 1Q CY 2022.

toast0

[H]ard|Gawd
I'll probably give mine to my niece and grab this one. Hopefully they add a better wireless receiver or add a ethernet port to the base because downloading and updating games on this thing is excruciatingly slow... Also, more sturdy build quality would be nice.

You know you can plug in a usb NIC, right? Supports a small handful of chipsets, but both of the devices I had were on the list.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
You know you can plug in a usb NIC, right? Supports a small handful of chipsets, but both of the devices I had were on the list.
Yeah, I have both my docks hardwired to ethernet.
This slightly convoluted mess of wires is my switch streaming setup.

https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Eth...net+adapter&qid=1617122869&sprefix=ugr&sr=8-3
is a good usb to ethernet that works with Switch and also gives USB ports.
PXL_20210326_052809204.MP.jpg

Last edited:

MavericK

Zero Cool
Yeah, I have both my docks hardwired to ethernet.
This slightly convoluted mess of wires is my switch streaming setup.

https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Eth...net+adapter&qid=1617122869&sprefix=ugr&sr=8-3
is a good usb to ethernet that works with Switch and also gives USB ports.View attachment 343591

Nice, I think I'll pick up one of those for when I get into MHR online more. The demo seemed okay on Wi-Fi but I definitely did notice some sliding/warping around a bit sometimes.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a wired connection back when I was playing Smash Bros Ultimate more often. Made a huge difference for something as lag dependent as Smash.

Same reason I wanted the USB ports, my Switch to Gamecube controller adapter takes two ports and this usb hub can power it, the Ethernet, and the Mclassic by itself.

I get all this and then spent 6 hours playing switch in handheld mode last night. 🤣

MavericK

Zero Cool
I got a wired connection back when I was playing Smash Bros Ultimate more often. Made a huge difference for something as lag dependent as Smash.

Same reason I wanted the USB ports, my Switch to Gamecube controller adapter takes two ports and this usb hub can power it, the Ethernet, and the Mclassic by itself.

I get all this and then spent 6 hours playing switch in handheld mode last night. 🤣

See, I used to play MH for hours upon hours on the 3DS, but nowadays it's tough for me to play on the Switch handheld. I dunno if it's because my eyes are getting old or what, but I mostly play docked these days.

Armenius

Fully [H]
See, I used to play MH for hours upon hours on the 3DS, but nowadays it's tough for me to play on the Switch handheld. I dunno if it's because my eyes are getting old or what, but I mostly play docked these days.
I've always had issues playing on handhelds. No matter what I would do I would always get strains in my upper neck.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
I've always had issues playing on handhelds. No matter what I would do I would always get strains in my upper neck.
Gotta hold it up level with your head. Have the same problem, and holding it up makes my shoulders hurt, so I usually don't play much or play while laying down.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Gotta hold it up level with your head. Have the same problem, and holding it up makes my shoulders hurt, so I usually don't play much or play while laying down.
Which is why I wish it wasn't so expensive to add video out on my DS. There is a program being developed that can stream your 3DS to your PC, though.
https://github.com/RattletraPM/Snickerstream

For the Switch, I always play with it docked. It's too big to carry around with me comfortably, anyway.

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
So on a subject like the Nintendo Switch Pro (or Switch 2 or Super Switch or whatever they end up calling it) I do have quite a few thoughts about some pieces of the the reveals of the hardware we know so far. While I am a citizen of the PC Master Race I am also a dual citizen in The World of Nintendo. So, 2 different thoughts I feel I can add to the conversation involve Samsung's 7" 720p resolution OLED screen and nVIDIA's new SOC chip that apparently will allow 4K docked under DLSS 2.0. Both of these hardware features to a great degree go together.

Let's start with the screen. I think it'll be by picture, color depth and gamma quality quite superb but people are questioning, "720p? For an upgraded Switch, it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade...". On the surface they would be right. But...look deeper. There are a lot of games on Nintendo Switch right now where in handheld mode they cannot run at 720p. Nor can they run at 60FPS. Quite a few cannot do both. In my own Switch game collection let me give you a few examples (both 1st and 3rd party):

1st party (anything listed without parenthesis next to them are games that cannot run at 720p or 60FPS. Games that can do 1 or the other (will have parenthesis and an explanation to them): The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors (can do 720p, cannot do 60 FPS), Astral Chain, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Luigi's Mansion 3 (can run 720p, cannot do 60FPS)

3rd party: DOOM 2016, DOOM: Eternal, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, The Wonderful 101: Remastered, Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 2, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition, NBA 2K...pick one, Mortal Kombat 11 (can do 60FPS, cannot do 720p), Monster Hunter Rise, Darksiders 1 & 2, Red Faction Guerilla Re-Mars-Tered Edition, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, The Outer Worlds

Now to me, keeping this screen at 720p isn't exactly a bad thing based on how so many games right now cannot run 720p and 60FPS simultaneously on handheld so I am okay with them leaving the screen at 720p. Which segways into the next point which goes together with the screen: the new nVIDIA SOC CPU/GPU for Switch. If it can really do 4K with the help of DLSS docked imagine how it'll help handheld too? It might be powerful enough to run any game in the Switch library at a locked 720p and 60FPS on handheld. Now, I don't know about the rest of you but that would be a great big upgrade step for me and time well spent by Nintendo to get the handheld to the point where everything is 720p handheld at 60FPS. There's my thoughts for now and until next time I am out!