The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is Too Damn High! @ [H]

People who have the money to spend $1200 GPUs don't give a shit. What you others think didn't have a fuck to do with people who can afford these cards being able to afford them.

I could swipe my card and order a couple right now... I just don't see the value.

That is just me I guess. (its not I'm hardly the only person laughing at people spending $1200 on a gaming card)

Your free too buy whatever you want of course... its a free world and a free market. I'm just not going to accept that a gaming card is ever worth 2x more then the best bang for the buck gaming CPU. To me people that have spent $1000+ on a gaming card are no different then that neighbor who decides to buy the $80k luxury SUV to drive solo to their office 5 miles away... and pick up groceries at the store at the end of the street. Or that guy some of us know with the bad toupee flapping in the wind as he tools around in his leased BMW Z4. (ok really no more car analogies lol)

Ugg I hate when charts aren't full range. IE: bottom of chart starting at $400 instead of $0 dollars. Not saying that the 2080 Ti isn't overpriced (it-is), but a full-scale chart from $0-$1200 would be a better conceptual representation.

I could swipe my card and order a couple right now... I just don't see the value.

That is just me I guess. (its not I'm hardly the only person laughing at people spending $1200 on a gaming card)

Your free too buy whatever you want of course... its a free world and a free market. I'm just not going to accept that a gaming card is ever worth 2x more then the best bang for the buck gaming CPU. To me people that have spent $1000+ on a gaming card are no different then that neighbor who decides to buy the $80k luxury SUV to drive solo to their office 5 miles away... and pick up groceries at the store at the end of the street. Or that guy some of us know with the bad toupee flapping in the wind as he tools around in his leased BMW Z4. (ok really no more car analogies lol)

I've been buying PC hardware for three decades. In the grand scheme the $2400 for the two 2080 Tis I pre-ordered isn't even couch change.

People who have the money to spend $1200 GPUs don't give a shit. What you others think didn't have a fuck to do with people who can afford these cards being able to afford them.

Dude, affording them has nothing to do with it. Being able to afford something does not mean something is not priced stupid expensive and beyond where it ought to be.

Why do you assume that people with a legitimate bitch on the card's pricing are simply doing so because they can't afford it?

Is it not even REMOTELY possible that people object based on a value proposition? That they're choosing to vote with their wallets based on such?

No! Of course not! All the people objecting to the card are broke motherfuckers who just wish they could afford one!

:facepalm::rolleyes:

Ugg I hate when charts aren't full range. IE: bottom of chart starting at $400 instead of $0 dollars. Not saying that the 2080 Ti isn't overpriced (it-is), but a full-scale chart from $0-$1200 would be a better conceptual representation.

When have you ever been able to get a top-of-the-line card for $0 though?
(Granted, outside of some vendor contest...Then, of course, the value proposition hits infinity...)

Why do you assume that people with a legitimate bitch on the card's pricing are simply doing so because they can't afford it?

Is it not even REMOTELY possible that people object based on a value proposition? That they're choosing to vote with their wallets based on such?

No! Of course not! All the people objecting to the card are broke motherfuckers who just wish they could afford one!

:facepalm::rolleyes:

There are plenty of envious ones around here. Plenty of broke ones around here. And plenty of those that can afford it and don't consider it money well spent.

Those ridiculing others for spending the way they see fit are just as bad as those you are complaining about.

Live and let live.

There are plenty of envious ones around here. Plenty of broke ones around here. And plenty of those that can afford it and don't consider it money well spent.

Those ridiculing others for spending the way they see fit are just as bad as those you are complaining about.

Live and let live.

They are only ridiculed after they come in, throw around their epeen and make unsubstantiated claims about others, most of the time. :D If the 2080Ti was 2 x as fast as the 1080 Ti, it might be worth it. However, it is not, whatsoever. Oh well, it will be worth $400 in the next year or two when the 3080 comes out.

You are conflating aesthetic features with performance features.

You are talking about the 2080ti like its a supercar... I'm sorry if you are a 1%er there are 9+ thousand dollar workstation super cards out there. The 2080ti is aimed at you and me to game on... its no super muscle car or super luxury car either. Its not intended to be a rare bird that you have to preorder 5 years in advance... so you can say your one of 3 people in the world to own one. Its a mass market mass produced high end model. (in other words top of the line for the little guy)

Comparing a 2080ti to the most expensive car on the planet is stupid. So what do we compare 32 GB 9100s or $9000 Quadro GV100s too space shuttles ? I guess we compare the 2 TB SSG parts to what jumbo jets ?

I'm sorry anyone that spends more then 1000 USD dollars on a single gaming video card... would be exactly the type of person I used to consider a moron when I was in my 20s. Now 20 something me was a moron as well in plenty of ways... but on that score I think I still agree with 20 something me.

I know I sound like I'm laughing people parting with 1200 smackers for a single Gaming card... however that is only because I am. lol

You seem to be conflating the RTX 2080Ti with a GT 1030. Perhaps you should instead be looking at the xx30-xx50 range for yourself; or you might be interested in an Xbox?

Last edited:

I'm 50 and have dealing with buying PC hardware before many here were in diapers. I never said the 2080/2080 Ti was reasonably priced. It's far from the first piece of tech that's been criticized because of price and I perfectly understand why people aren't happy with the situation and I accept that. That said from my perspective I already have a couple of 1080 Tis that I've had for 18 months and there are instances where I'd like some more power especially at 4k. One can always wait for better tech at better pricing, seen that all through my 30 years of dealing with this stuff.

So wait or buy what's available now. It's not a huge deal one way of the other. 1080 Tis are easy to re-sell at higher end prices than has been normal for GPUs historically anyway if I want to defray the cost of the 2080 Tis.

nVidia should have named the RTX 2080 Ti a Titan. Unfortunately I am hearing that they have left approximately 15% of the die unused, which opens up the possibility of a $1500+ RTX Titan card in the future.

Even the 1080 Ti that's being used as the reason to not buy RTX 20x0 is far from something the average consumer would ever buy.

Bch79dF.gif

I'm 50 and have dealing with buying PC hardware before many here were in diapers. I never said the 2080/2080 Ti was reasonably priced. It's far from the first piece of tech that's been criticized because of price and I perfectly understand why people aren't happy with the situation and I accept that. That said from my perspective I already have a couple of 1080 Tis that I've had for 18 months and there are instances where I'd like some more power especially at 4k. One can always wait for better tech at better pricing, seen that all through my 30 years of dealing with this stuff.

So wait or buy what's available now. It's not a huge deal one way of the other. 1080 Tis are easy to re-sell at higher end prices than has been normal for GPUs historically anyway if I want to defray the cost of the 2080 Tis.

If anyone should be pissed off about Nvidias pricing scheme on RTX hardware its you. The guy who buys every VR headset, and apparently every single GPU released regardless of performance.

VR has had much the same issue Ray tracing is going to run into. Without a base of users developers don't support things >.< Why would game developers rush to implement something like RT when less then 1% of users can turn it on ? The short answer is they won't... so if anything it should annoy you to know the guy that springs a couple grand every year on video cards which get little support on the software side due to lack of sell through.

I mean hey man big pat on the back that you can't think of anything better too do with 2 grand. I would rather cut a cheque to the local soup kitchen then think I'm the kinda guy that needs to burn 2 grand to bump my already 1% range FPS 10-20%. lol (ok guessing on the frame rate bump... Kyles will have numbers we can trust soon enough) Of course... if I where the type to cut that cheque to the soup kitchen it wouldn't be Novelty size. So hey as other have said.... live and let live, if that is your thing i-rok, have fun. (oh and I think for now on I will stop calling you heatle... I don't think you like that anyway, for now on when I see heatlessun my brain is going to read i-rok)

They are only ridiculed after they come in, throw around their epeen and make unsubstantiated claims about others, most of the time. :D If the 2080Ti was 2 x as fast as the 1080 Ti, it might be worth it. However, it is not, whatsoever. Oh well, it will be worth $400 in the next year or two when the 3080 comes out.

You're kind of missing the situation of the current market though. In all the years I've been dealing with PC hardware depreciation currently is at record lows. Using your logic a used 1080 Ti would only be going for $235 or so and clearly that's not the case right now. I'm not saying that the market won't recalibrate closer to historical norms but it is where we are now.

If anyone should be pissed off about Nvidias pricing scheme on RTX hardware its you. The guy who buys every VR headset, and apparently every single GPU released regardless of performance.

Not at all. I'm not constantly going the for latest and greatest and sure the RTX series is expensive. But the 2080 Ti is a hell of piece of hardware that could become a lot more interesting in short order if RTX tech pans out. Again from my perspective it's either stick with what I have and wait for whatever my come of pick up 2080 Ti and sell my 1080 Tis and offset pretty much the cost difference for cards I bought 18 months ago. That's just where the market is right now.

VR has had much the same issue Ray tracing is going to run into. Without a base of users developers don't support things >.< Why would game developers rush to implement something like RT when less then 1% of users can turn it on ? The short answer is they won't... so if anything it should annoy you to know the guy that springs a couple grand every year on video cards which get little support on the software side due to lack of sell through.

Agree with the principle of what you're saying but there's still a good amount of VR content being created. Way more than I could begin to play. Not saying ray tracing will get there but it is a logical progression in game tech.

I mean hey man big pat on the back that you can't think of anything better too do with 2 grand. I would rather cut a cheque to the local soup kitchen then think I'm the kinda guy that needs to burn 2 grand to bump my already 1% range FPS 10-20%. lol (ok guessing on the frame rate bump... Kyles will have numbers we can trust soon enough) Of course... if I where the type to cut that cheque to the soup kitchen it wouldn't be Novelty size. So hey as other have said.... live and let live, if that is your thing i-rok, have fun. (oh and I think for now on I will stop calling you heatle... I don't think you like that anyway, for now on when I see heatlessun my brain is going to read i-rok)

Well for that matter everyone here could just stop buying anything beside the basics for work and take all the money they spend on PCs and give it away. Maybe not a bad idea but I'm guessing there'd be some job losses there.

nVidia should have named the RTX 2080 Ti a Titan. Unfortunately I am hearing that they have left approximately 15% of the die unused, which opens up the possibility of a $1500+ RTX Titan card in the future.

I thought that the 2080 Ti die was about 93% of capacity. I doubt there's going to be a consumer Titan on that process with 7nm coming.

Chances are, for many here, the 2080 ti is just not the card for you. If you're on a 1080p monitor or 1440p and own a 1080 ti .... you're going to get really nice frame-rates. If you have a 1060 or 1070 on a 1080p .... your going to get really nice frame rates. There are many many guys still on 980 ti's and 1080p monitors that are more than happy.

I think what a lot of people are missing here is that if you're a 4K monitor owner and I really wish I knew those numbers right now ... I'm going to say, not many ... and have a 1080 ti .... there have been many experiences for me personally where I had to turn down settings to have the experience I personally wanted to have. Not all games, but ... a lot. So for us few this new video card becomes very enticing. I want to be careful not to sound like an asshole here, or condescending or devoid of empathy with you guys ... cause that's absolutely not the case but in my mind, 4K monitors and high-end cards such as the 2080 ti are premium PC parts. The people buying them might possible have greater spending power and or willing to spend the extra cash.

I never thought the 1080 ti at it's $800 price point was a video card most would own. Again, those numbers are in the single digits in regards to ownership. Come to think of it, I wish HardOCP would do a massive polling of it's users to see where HardOCP stands in that regard. I love HardOCP. In my mind, more people on HardOCP own the high-end stuff rather than say, a cheap bro-gamer with a 1050 ti running some low end AMD cpu in a black and plastic chrome case with blinding blue LEDs.

It also really comes down to how passionate you are about your craft. I love the PC ..... really really love the PC. The $1200 didn't even sting me. sure, I wish it was cheaper but as a 4K monitor owner and first hand knowledge of what the 1080 ti can and cannot do ... I'm more than happy to have this chance to buy this card. Man, I cannot wait. It's all I think about as I sit here waiting for my MSI Gaming Trio 2080 ti to show up at Microcenter. And apparently, some of what I just said resonates with all the other people that are buying this card. It's sold out everywhere.

So, I wouldn't be too upset at the price especially if you couldn't currently make good use of it. I would say try and temper your annoyance with your current real world needs. I also think we haven't seen the final price on this card yet. Remember, there is a $999 price posted all over for the RTX 2080 ti. Perhaps we will see that price sooner rather than later. Lastly, I want to point out that the RTX 2080 Ti will always be an expensive card. $999 is a lot of damn money for many of you. And when you get to $999 ... what's an extra $199. This card is never going to be affordable or cheap as long as it's the current hotness. Of course AMD can change this along with time. In a few years, who knows.

While not fair, the only way to combat this price ( if you really want this card ) is to ..... save up the money to buy it. And some advice. This is a pretty sweet card, the RTX 2080 Ti. With overclocking you're going to see a nice 35% to 40% gain on average coming from a 1080 ti. With your old card and it's value, maybe a handful of things you have laying around your home that you don't want, need or use, selling those items, saving a few hundred dollars here and there and maybe avoiding spending money you might typically spend, cutting back on those things for a short period of time ... then this card will become within reach of you. I'm a firm believer in not robbing yourself of an awesome fun experience especially if it's just a few hundred here and there that's in the way. Don't become so sour at the price that you get mad and miss out on this experience. It's just money.

I would love for all of you to own the RTX 2080 Ti.

Cyberpunk 2077 on a 4K monitor being pushed by a RTX 2080 Ti and an Intel 9900K @ 5Ghz .... yes please, I'll take two!

Last edited:
It is so expensive because they can, not because they have too.

It's not necessarily either/or. The 2080 Ti can't possibly be cheap to make and I doubt that it would be economically feasible for nVidia to sell it for say $700. That said, given the lack of competition and RTX tech that might draw early adopters that are willing to pay a premium for the latest and greatest I'm sure there's a decent margin on these RTX parts at current pricing. That's really nothing new for new top line tech. AMD wouldn't be selling this stuff at bargain prices either if they were nVidia's position.

Oh well, enjoy those $1600 3080's, I will have a whole computer for that much and nearly the same performance, as well.

Don't you think most people would buy the much cheaper solution with similar performance? Maybe I'm wrong, but looking at what I've seen in the reviews this week about 2080 Ti performance and the comparison of it to the 1080 Ti, a part that I've had for 18 months, I don't see people saying that the 1080 Ti is similar in performance to the 2080 Ti especially at 4k. Sure, the price/performance ratio of the 2080 Ti is poor compared to the 1080 Ti but the overwhelming consensus especially at 4k that the 2080 Ti is a pretty significant upgrade.

So either I wait for whatever is next that's better than the 2080 Ti or stick with the 1080 Ti. Personally I'm not buying the 2080 Ti to brag but to get more performance than I'm getting now with the 1080 Ti which is part that everyone is using to say that the 2080 Ti isn't worth it.

It's not necessarily either/or. The 2080 Ti can't possibly be cheap to make and I doubt that it would be economically feasible for nVidia to sell it for say $700. That said, given the lack of competition and RTX tech that might draw early adopters that are willing to pay a premium for the latest and greatest I'm sure there's a decent margin on these RTX parts at current pricing. That's really nothing new for new top line tech. AMD wouldn't be selling this stuff at bargain prices either if they were nVidia's position.

Don't you think most people would buy the much cheaper solution with similar performance? Maybe I'm wrong, but looking at what I've seen in the reviews this week about 2080 Ti performance and the comparison of it to the 1080 Ti, a part that I've had for 18 months, I don't see people saying that the 1080 Ti is similar in performance to the 2080 Ti especially at 4k. Sure, the price/performance ratio of the 2080 Ti is poor compared to the 1080 Ti but the overwhelming consensus especially at 4k that the 2080 Ti is a pretty significant upgrade.

So either I wait for whatever is next that's better than the 2080 Ti or stick with the 1080 Ti. Personally I'm not buying the 2080 Ti to brag but to get more performance than I'm getting now with the 1080 Ti which is part that everyone is using to say that the 2080 Ti isn't worth it.
lol..just put MS instead of nVidia...lmfao

Chances are, for many here, the 2080 ti is just not the card for you. If you're on a 1080p monitor or 1440p and own a 1080 ti .... you're going to get really nice frame-rates. If you have a 1060 or 1070 on a 1080p .... your going to get really nice frame rates. There are many many guys still on 980 ti's and 1080p monitors that are more than happy.

I think what a lot of people are missing here is that if you're a 4K monitor owner and I really wish I knew those numbers right now ... I'm going to say, not many ... and have a 1080 ti .... there have been many experiences for me personally where I had to turn down settings to have the experience I personally wanted to have. Not all games, but ... a lot. So for us few this new video card becomes very enticing. I want to be careful not to sound like an asshole here, or condescending or devoid of empathy with you guys ... cause that's absolutely not the case but in my mind, 4K monitors and high-end cards such as the 2080 ti are premium PC parts. The people buying them might possible have greater spending power and or willing to spend the extra cash.

I never thought the 1080 ti at it's $800 price point was a video card most would own. Again, those numbers are in the single digits in regards to ownership. Come to think of it, I wish HardOCP would do a massive polling of it's users to see where HardOCP stands in that regard. I love HardOCP. In my mind, more people on HardOCP own the high-end stuff rather than say, a cheap bro-gamer with a 1050 ti running some low end AMD cpu in a black and plastic chrome case with blinding blue LEDs.

It also really comes down to how passionate you are about your craft. I love the PC ..... really really love the PC. The $1200 didn't even sting me. sure, I wish it was cheaper but as a 4K monitor owner and first hand knowledge of what the 1080 ti can and cannot do ... I'm more than happy to have this chance to buy this card. Man, I cannot wait. It's all I think about as I sit here waiting for my MSI Gaming Trio 2080 ti to show up at Microcenter. And apparently, some of what I just said resonates with all the other people that are buying this card. It's sold out everywhere.

So, I wouldn't be too upset at the price especially if you couldn't currently make good use of it. I would say try and temper your annoyance with your current real world needs. I also think we haven't seen the final price on this card yet. Remember, there is a $999 price posted all over for the RTX 2080 ti. Perhaps we will see that price sooner rather than later. Lastly, I want to point out that the RTX 2080 Ti will always be an expensive card. $999 is a lot of damn money for many of you. And when you get to $999 ... what's an extra $199. This card is never going to be affordable or cheap as long as it's the current hotness. Of course AMD can change this along with time. In a few years, who knows.

While not fair, the only way to combat this price ( if you really want this card ) is to ..... save up the money to buy it. And some advice. This is a pretty sweet card, the RTX 2080 Ti. With overclocking you're going to see a nice 35% to 40% gain on average coming from a 1080 ti. With your old card and it's value, maybe a handful of things you have laying around your home that you don't want, need or use, selling those items, saving a few hundred dollars here and there and maybe avoiding spending money you might typically spend, cutting back on those things for a short period of time ... then this card will become within reach of you. I'm a firm believer in not robbing yourself of an awesome fun experience especially if it's just a few hundred here and there that's in the way. Don't become so sour at the price that you get mad and miss out on this experience. It's just money.

I would love for all of you to own the RTX 2080 Ti.

Cyberpunk 2077 on a 4K monitor being pushed by a RTX 2080 Ti and an Intel 9900K @ 5Ghz .... yes please, I'll take two!

I absolutely f'ing love this post. It's beautifully written, precise, and I'm honestly envious of it.

Suggest you wait for [H] to test it and make sure the numbers are good.

I think enough testing by enough folks has been done where it's clear that the 2080 Ti is a topline 4k card that can provide significantly more performance than the 1080 Ti. But [H] might uncover other issues. I'm interested in VR performance for instance. At any rate, no 2080 Tis are shipping currently so kind of moot point.

I think enough testing by enough folks has been done where it's clear that the 2080 Ti is a topline 4k card that can provide significantly more performance than the 1080 Ti. But [H] might uncover other issues. At any rate, no 2080 Tis are shipping currently so kind of moot point.
I guess we will see! The sli did not fare much better but holy hell that NVLink bridge is really expensive? Did I see 599 or something?

I guess we will see! The sli did not fare much better but holy hell that NVLink bridge is really expensive? Did I see 599 or something?

The $600 (and up) bridge is for Quadro cards. The one for the RTX cards is $80. Still pricey, but nowhere near as much.

Back