The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is Too Damn High! @ [H]

Right, you were conflating the RTX 2080Ti with something like a GT 1030/GTX 1050. Thank you for finally seeing the error in your argument.
Error? You just said that we were right and agreed with us. You might want to lie down!

Error? You just said that we were right and agreed with us. You might want to lie down!

Most people do not buy the high end products in any gen, that's what you finally agreed with me on; after you incorrectly stated most would be buying the RTX 2080/2080Ti. Glad you are finally seeing the error of your argument.

Nvidia can justify it. However you want to spend your money is of your own choosing.
You are buying a 1st generation piece of hardware without any software support. Unless Nvidia provides support to every games developer it is not going to take off either.

Why wouldn't they provide support? They are betting the company on RT. The list of new games supporting it will continue to grow from this point forward. This genie isn't going back in the bottle.

Yes, a small percentage. Which means that they are too expensive for people who actually want value for their dollar otherwise most everybody would be getting one. ;)

RTX cards are halo cards. Cards in these price brackets are never a large percentage of sales. Mindshare is what matters and NV has that in spades.

Most people do not buy the high end products in any gen, that's what you finally agreed with me on.
Which we already knew.

I guess things will get exciting when Intel brings something to the table. Well and hopefully AMD. Maybe we will see much faster gpu's per release.

Which we already knew.

I guess things will get exciting when Intel brings something to the table. Well and hopefully AMD. Maybe we will see much faster gpu's per release.

Intel isn't bringing anything to the table that will be exciting. At best they will bring a mid-range product. AMD is over a year out from anything for gamers.

Intel isn't bringing anything to the table that will be exciting. At best they will bring a mid-range product. AMD is over a year out from anything for gamers.
Surprises can be around the corner! Wishful thinking.....
A year isn't bad. By then Nvidia will be coming out with a new card maybe?

Surprises can be around the corner! Wishful thinking.....
A year isn't bad. By then Nvidia will be coming out with a new card maybe?

Possibly. I really think they won't release a 7nm card till Q1 2020.

Why wouldn't they provide support? They are betting the company on RT. The list of new games supporting it will continue to grow from this point forward. This genie isn't going back in the bottle.

When the price of hardware is high the segment it addresses is small when game companies want to make money they will aim at the biggest chunk of consumers not the smallest. That would make Nvidia in charge of the whole thing.

When your first generation hardware is as advanced as your professional product where is the room to grow? Did you check the die size of the other products ?

When the price of hardware is high the segment it addresses is small when game companies want to make money they will aim at the biggest chunk of consumers not the smallest. That would make Nvidia in charge of the whole thing.

When your first generation hardware is as advanced as your professional product where is the room to grow? Did you check the die size of the other products ?

Like the 2080’s die being significantly larger than the 1080ti? Heh.

I think the budget minded should wait for 7nm. I imagine the $500 2070 type performance should drop to 300-350? Navi pressure may help too.

And honestly if a person doesn’t care about RTX features and are budget minded they should probably wait for Navi to launch next year. You’ll at least get a Navi / non-RTX (2060/1080ti) brawl.

I think the budget minded should wait for 7nm. I imagine the $500 2070 type performance should drop to 300-350? Navi pressure may help too.

And honestly if a person doesn’t care about RTX features and are budget minded they should probably wait for Navi to launch next year. You’ll at least get a Navi / non-RTX (2060/1080ti) brawl.
budget minded drops down to the $200 range...

Nvidia is already in charge of most of the gaming market outside of peasant consoles. amd is an afterthought these days on the PC. They have no one to blame but themselves.

7nm will help to increase the power of their RT cores by allowing more to be added. Also, this is first generation and to think there's no room for improvement is short sighted.

Nvidia is already in charge of most of the gaming market outside of peasant consoles. amd is an afterthought these days on the PC. They have no one to blame but themselves.

7nm will help to increase the power of their RT cores by allowing more to be added. Also, this is first generation and to think there's no room for improvement is short sighted.

Shit happens. Prescott happened.

No need. My 980ti does a decent job of running my display. The 1080ti I have on the way will give me a fantastic experience. Only thing better would be if nVidia had freesync enabled in their modern desktop drivers. Once upon a tine, they supported it in their mobile drivers

I did the same thing. I waited for 2080 results, was not impressed with generation jump and bought a used 1080ti for $500 to replace my 980ti.

Possibly. I really think they won't release a 7nm card till Q1 2020.

Vega 20 and Zen2 have both already tapped out.

Vega 20 should ship this year but unless AMD does something unexpected those are destined for Radeon Pro parts. Still should give us a good idea of what they are cooking. Also keep in mind a Q1 Navi card launch would mean 3 months at best... and 6 months at worst. That isn't exactly that far away. I doubt highly AMD is shipping Radeon pro navi parts and holds off on using the cast offs for consumer cards for an entire year.

At what yield ratio you think 7nm comes lets say at 800 mm2 and how much more cores you think will be able to fit in there worthy of a real performance increase (at least 2 times the current ray tracing performance).

If you look at the current performance (non ray tracing benchmarks) increase from 2080TI to 1080TI doesn't that tell you enough?

They are launching 7nm for workstations this year. Quite likely I will end up with at least one or two for ML.
Keep this in mind;
Vega FE launched June 27th
Vega 64 Aug 14th

IF they use the 7nm Vega for gaming (e.g. Threadripper style so there is precedence) I think we will see 7nm for gaming q1-q2. Especially with the pretty lackluster raster performance of the 20 series Nvidia cards, AMD has an opportunity to catch up the product stack a little, while Nvidia falls over itself for a high end 1080p (lol) failtracing.
Remember, AMD has kept its cards pretty close to the chest since Raja went and Lisa came onboard. TR came outta nowhere. Don't expect 7nm gaming before Navi to do similar.
Navi isn't going to be hugely different from Vega either. If you look at the GCN block diagrams from 7970 through to Vega, they are practically unchanged...

Back