The Elder Scrolls Online

So someone thought they could do Skyrim, why has Nintendo not realized the potential for Pokemon yet?

Dude.. Pokemon MMO. My god. That would be flooded in seconds. Servers would crash instantly, and even more so than Diablo 3's release. They would bank on it so much. But alas, they think, and I don't blame them, that the constant releasing of pretty much the same game is better. You have to admit, people are still buying them.

Dude.. Pokemon MMO. My god. That would be flooded in seconds. Servers would crash instantly, and even more so than Diablo 3's release. They would bank on it so much. But alas, they think, and I don't blame them, that the constant releasing of pretty much the same game is better. You have to admit, people are still buying them.

Yeah no doubt they are buying them, but I'd like to see how many NEW people buy the newer games vs people who have already owned one of them. I haven't bought a Pokemon since Yellow; and I'm a fan of the game for sure. However it's basically the same game over and over. Throw something new in the mix. The level of visuals that challenge a modded Skyrim, in a world that dwarfs Skyrims world in size. You wont have much to worry about PvP ruining the game since battling other trainers wont cause you to die and lose everything; at most you lose some money.

Then you have to think the ~20 years worth of player base a Pokemon MMO could draw.. However, being on a Nintendo system might have a small effect on it; but I think it could surpass WoW numbers, even on a console.

they can still release expansions just as often as the handheld games. and they still cost about the same. 30 for an expansion 35ish for a handheld game ect.

Right and being Pokemon, new expansions could easily be the ability to catch new Pokemon released into the world, which they could do 2 - 3 times a year.

Quick, everybody rush over to the new MMO on the block, get bored in 2 months, then leave it a broken wasteland!

If they made a fully fleshed out pokemon game with the ability to steal pokemon as team rocket so often attempts. I would be on board.

Quick, everybody rush over to the new MMO on the block, get bored in 2 months, then leave it a broken wasteland!

Pretty much. And I'm glad for it. Some day the industry will soon realize that sometimes just a plain good game makes more money than searching for that pot of gold MMO. There is so much developer talent out there that needs to focus on games (i.e. ones with disconnected single player as an option). Right now all this effort is wasted on "the next best MMO".

So someone thought they could do Skyrim, why has Nintendo not realized the potential for Pokemon yet?

Nintendo thinks they will get sued by the soccer moms for letting kids and adults play on the same servers

look how convoluted there online system is to start with they are so afraid of "child predators"

Skald Thane during the Vanilla/SI days.

btw, there is an unofficial pokemon mmo, same graphics as the gameboy games but with an online component.

Alb/Lance here, officer of ICE Dragons (#1 guild by realm points by multiple times gamewide) and top-end player. My mains were a minstrel and theurgist, though I had 50s rr5 on all realms with most classes later on. In Labyrinth I loved 8on1 ambushes with my sorcerer. Yes, me being the 1. :)

And I keep hoping for a daoc 2.0, so we finally get an mmo that isn't left a broken wasteland ;).

Pretty much. And I'm glad for it. Some day the industry will soon realize that sometimes just a plain good game makes more money than searching for that pot of gold MMO. There is so much developer talent out there that needs to focus on games (i.e. ones with disconnected single player as an option). Right now all this effort is wasted on "the next best MMO".

Thing is, if they stopped trying to be wow clones and went back to mmo roots like uo, daoc, etc. they would be incredible games. We keep getting wow though which was one of the worst mmo titles ever other than its tight controls and huge playerbase. Saying that devs shouldn't do mmo games makes no sense, we just need them to do mmo, not wow.

they can still release expansions just as often as the handheld games. and they still cost about the same. 30 for an expansion 35ish for a handheld game ect.

I don't doubt it. They apparently don't see that though. Probably the immense effort with creating the game is stopping them.

It's kind of dumb that they only make these stupid little portable games.

Thing is, if they stopped trying to be wow clones and went back to mmo roots like uo, daoc, etc. they would be incredible games. We keep getting wow though which was one of the worst mmo titles ever other than its tight controls and huge playerbase. Saying that devs shouldn't do mmo games makes no sense, we just need them to do mmo, not wow.

I'm not silly enought to say that MMOs shouldn't be made anymore (though I wouldn't cry if that happened). I'm just saying that the developer pool is tipped too far into the MMO market when there is plenty of other good stuff to be made. And yes, UO was a lot of fun. I agree that "the next WoW clone" pursuit is getting old.

I'm not silly enought to say that MMOs shouldn't be made anymore (though I wouldn't cry if that happened). I'm just saying that the developer pool is tipped too far into the MMO market when there is plenty of other good stuff to be made. And yes, UO was a lot of fun. I agree that "the next WoW clone" pursuit is getting old.

We're on the same page then pretty much... there are way too many MMO's in general, and the market is quite saturated. We're not seeing as many epic single-player games lately, in no doubt partly due to this.

Nims Kobold Hunter of Igraine. It took the next highest hunter almost a full year to pass me in realm points after I stopped playing.

We're on the same page then pretty much... there are way too many MMO's in general, and the market is quite saturated. We're not seeing as many epic single-player games lately, in no doubt partly due to this.

Well swtor was a great single player game! It just tried to come off as a mmo....which it failed terribly at lol

God i hope this game is awesome.

Hope being the key word. :D

Also "please", and "just make a damn good MMO that has no mercy rules and is tough as balls".

Like a lot of other games were (not necessarily challenging, but had a lot going for them), like SW Galaxies. I sure miss old WoW. :(

There's a ton of MMOs out there but nothing really attractive to me right now. WoW is dated, TOR went bust, what else is worth playing now? Nothing really. So despite the huge number of MMOs a good one would fill a big void.

And yeah I loved daoc, played on Midgard/Pellinor, anything that could capture that feel would hook me easily. I hoped they would do it with warhammer but nope, not even close. Daoc had the right combination of PvE + PvP for me, at least up until that atlantis thing came out. It lost me right about there.

Last edited:
As soon as MMO developers realize they should be creating worlds and not treadmills, we will have good MMOs again.

As soon as MMO developers realize they should be creating worlds and not treadmills, we will have good MMOs again.

True, but sometimes I wonder if the majority of the population likes the treadmills better. It's more "accessible" just like driving to the gym to exercise on dull treadmills which are supposedly more "accessible" than running outside in the hot, cold, or rain.

Last edited:
Not that I run to really tell, but it's likely those who are running on tread mills won't get to experience the every day life of running outside. Instead they get a poor imitation of motion without the possible pleasant surprises.

True, but sometimes I wonder if the majority of the population likes the treadmills better. It's more "accessible" just like driving to the gym to exercise on dull treadmills which are supposedly more "accessible" than running outside in the hot, cold, or rain.

I'm thinking the same too. Guild Wars 2 tried to do away with the treadmill by removing level grind and equipment grind but there seem to be people who were not happy with it. Same was said about Diablo 3's level 80 cap, and it seems people were happier when they introduced the paragon level system.

The issue with "treadmill" games is that they all follow the same formula; you level to max to do instanced dungeons to get gear, only so you can do more dungeons! There is really nothing about this formula that involves the player cognitively or emotionally. MMOs today miss the "why" in gaming; the "why" that makes a player immersed and invested.

I think the biggest example of what I am talking about can be seen in the lack of player housing in MMOs. Housing isn't about "dress up" as so many people characterize and diminish it. Truthfully, housing is about making a player invested in the game world and invested in there character. Virtually no systems in modern MMOs create that connection between player, character, and game.

It's because there's a carrot on the end of a stick. There's always the allure of being "better, stronger, awesomer". Why play a game for hours and hours if your character isn't any better than the guy next to you (forget levels).

Many people don't want possible pleasant surprises with an enjoyable view. They like a predictable treadmill where you see mileage numbers down to small decimals. Same for MMOs as with exercise. Grind through X levels here, then Y levels there, then you get to go on Z endgames.

Work = reward, down to incremental and predictable formula. Seems to work especially well in Asian countries.

The next good MMO will probably break away from that, but the typical MMO players probably won't like it.

It's because there's a carrot on the end of a stick. There's always the allure of being "better, stronger, awesomer". Why play a game for hours and hours if your character isn't any better than the guy next to you (forget levels).

And that's all it is, nothing more than that. A good MMO is going to need to find new ways to motivation players. Sure, keep a little level up, etc... but also throw in other things
like maybe a learning curve that relies more on player skill maybe. There are always other things to try. People just don't want any of the other ideas. Most just want the clear mathematical formula to godhood.

Out of curiosity will this game "link" the majority of lands that players have seen over the course of the Elder Scrolls series or will it all take place in a completely new area that is massive?

The issue with "treadmill" games is that they all follow the same formula; you level to max to do instanced dungeons to get gear, only so you can do more dungeons! There is really nothing about this formula that involves the player cognitively or emotionally. MMOs today miss the "why" in gaming; the "why" that makes a player immersed and invested.

I think the biggest example of what I am talking about can be seen in the lack of player housing in MMOs. Housing isn't about "dress up" as so many people characterize and diminish it. Truthfully, housing is about making a player invested in the game world and invested in there character. Virtually no systems in modern MMOs create that connection between player, character, and game.

This is exactly correct. What is the point of doing instanced dungeons repeatedly, just so you can do another instanced dungeon and then another, with no effect on anything in the MMO world? It's pointless, boring, and feels silly because that's ultimately what it is. It used to be you'd level so you could be stronger for things that actually mattered in the game world... capturing keeps and towers, defending and attacking player-driven supply routes, building your house bigger and better, crafting and becoming well-known, raiding that giant dragon that only some guilds could manage and was on a random spawn timer, so it mattered if you could get the people to do it once it popped... romping through open-world/non-instanced dungeons (even ones with multi-faction PVP enabled! where it actually mattered to be on top of your game for real rewards), and NON-GUARANTEED rewards where it isn't predictable to the last decimal and you actually got excited to see an UBER SWORD OF AWESOMENESS drop.

Ultimately, all of that leads to fun gameplay, and having a connection to the game world, as you said. :)

Out of curiosity will this game "link" the majority of lands that players have seen over the course of the Elder Scrolls series or will it all take place in a completely new area that is massive?

It is meant to "link" the majority of the lands.

I wish they would do a modern remake of Ultima Online but keep the spirit of the original.

This is exactly correct. What is the point of doing instanced dungeons repeatedly, just so you can do another instanced dungeon and then another, with no effect on anything in the MMO world? It's pointless, boring, and feels silly because that's ultimately what it is. It used to be you'd level so you could be stronger for things that actually mattered in the game world... capturing keeps and towers, defending and attacking player-driven supply routes, building your house bigger and better, crafting and becoming well-known, raiding that giant dragon that only some guilds could manage and was on a random spawn timer, so it mattered if you could get the people to do it once it popped... romping through open-world/non-instanced dungeons (even ones with multi-faction PVP enabled! where it actually mattered to be on top of your game for real rewards), and NON-GUARANTEED rewards where it isn't predictable to the last decimal and you actually got excited to see an UBER SWORD OF AWESOMENESS drop.

Ultimately, all of that leads to fun gameplay, and having a connection to the game world, as you said. :)

It is meant to "link" the majority of the lands.

The linking of everything could be great...most of us would know where to go if it's modeled after the older stuff.

Back