The Elder Scrolls Online

Bugs aside, it looks like they are retconning the lore again. Or maybe it's an alternate timeline because Spock was fucking around with red matter again.

Cept Bethseda isn't the developer. It's a different team from Zenimax (who owns Bethseda).

Todd Howard, and the Betseda team are working on another project.

Then that's half a step up on that front at least.

I haven't looked much into this...however, I do love The Elder Scrolls games...also love MMOs. If this game is done right (I have my doubts) then I will be all over it!

If it will have as many bugs as all the single player games, it will be most bugged MMO ever, beating even Funcom / Cryptic games :)

Buggerfall Online: Revenge of the Devs

What kind of changes will there be compared to the former Elder Scrolls Games

TES Online will be seen from a third person perspective, and skills will be activated from a hotbar.

Fights will no longer be in real time. See PvP play above.

Presently, there are no plans to include a system that allows players to invest in property as they could in the single-player experience.

Marriage and relationships will be confined to inter-player relations, rather than arrangements with NPC characters.

Players will be unable to contract Vampire and Werewolf diseases, but there will be Vampires and Werewolves in the game.

You will not be able to fast travel from any point of the map, but fast travel will still be available. Travel from wayshrine to w
ayshrine to get around Tamriel. Wayshrines will also be the places you come back to life after being killed.

A new AI system will be used for all NPCs. Instead of everyone going to sleep at night, NPCs will not have the same schedules as older Elder Scrolls games. This was done to allow people to play on their own time.

Public Dungeons will be returning to the MMO scene. These dungeons are not separated from the rest of the world. They're designed in a way to allow groups of players to team up and work through the caves or ruins.

Mundus Stones will be set throughout the world, each with specific constellations and powers tied to them. Find one and activate it to tie the powers to your character.

Ugh. Pass.

^^ The last item on that list is the only thing that sounds original.

Everything else i've read about this game makes it sound like WoW re-skinned for TES.

^^ The last item on that list is the only thing that sounds original.

Everything else i've read about this game makes it sound like WoW re-skinned for TES.

Yeah, It's starting to sound like a WoW clone. While I do enjoy playing WoW, I'm not going to quit WoW to play a WoW clone. If they can offer something completely different then WoW, then I'd be interested.

I played WoW for over 5+ years. If I want to play it again I'll re-sub. And I FUCKING hate public dungeons. Say hello to getting trained by 12 year olds all day who want to steal loot of the NPC's you fight.

I hated Public Dungeons in EQ.

Really skeptical about this game. It takes 5 years minimum from a big studio to make a decent MMO and even those are ripe with bugs and pale in comparison to WoW (see TOR). This game has been in development what 2 years at most? And don't even have Bethesda's best people working on it...

I wonder if any new MMO will ever recreate the feeling from a Karnor's or NToV train.

Never. EQ for many was a first time MMO experience and its like a drug , your first high can never be replicated and all you end up doing is wasting all your time trying to achieve it over and over again.

I dont think it would ruin the Franchise. I think they will do a GREAT job on this title.

What I am curious is about is if they will use the IDTECH5 on this.....Cause I really liked some parts of rage....When it worked.

its using the same Engine as TOR

Ever try killing Nef when there were 200 people showing up within 5 minutes of his spawning? Yea , awesome alright :rolleyes:

Age of Conan has public dungeons and they suck whole sale ass.

It was hard, tedious, and very tough to "win" at, but I loved it. Shit, I tried to run a Vex Thal raid when another guild showed up and started trying to gank and train. Great memories.

"A new AI system will be used for all NPCs. Instead of everyone going to sleep at night, NPCs will not have the same schedules as older Elder Scrolls games. This was done to allow people to play on their own time."

Heaven forbid you have an ES day/night cycle in game? I mean it's not like WoW where it's literally 24hr cycles, where if you only play at 9-12pm it's ALWAYS FUCKING NIGHT.

I'd much rather have the day/ngiht cycles and intersting npc's that actually DO SOMETHING instead of just standing around waiting for you to click them with a big "!" above their head.

"A new AI system will be used for all NPCs. Instead of everyone going to sleep at night, NPCs will not have the same schedules as older Elder Scrolls games. This was done to allow people to play on their own time."

Heaven forbid you have an ES day/night cycle in game? I mean it's not like WoW where it's literally 24hr cycles, where if you only play at 9-12pm it's ALWAYS FUCKING NIGHT.

I'd much rather have the day/ngiht cycles and intersting npc's that actually DO SOMETHING instead of just standing around waiting for you to click them with a big "!" above their head.

FFXI had an day night cycle of about an hour night and hour day even had days of the week and months and moon phases ALL of which effected things like magic and crafting
but NPC shops had hours they were open and closed
and it worked pretty well other then making crafting a nightmare lol
im not jokeing but WHICH DIRECTION you faced ie N S E W would effect crafting
what element that day of the week and time day also effected it and oh Sq-E didnt tell you any thing all the guides were made via trail and error this lead to a lot superstition which was kinda cool and kind bs at the same time
to this day there are game mechanics in FFXI that people dont know how the work 100%

An Elder Scrolls MMORPG could be damn epic. While they suck at bug testing, they do build amazing games, and I have no doubt that they could pull of a successful MMORPG as well. I look forward to seeing this develop if real.

1.) Bethesda as developer. This really shouldn't require any explanation by now should it? As much as a lot of us love their games right on through Skyrim, let's get real here.

2.) MMOs by their very nature. Have we ever seen any MMO hit the streets and not be a bug fest at least in the early goings?

Now combine these two things and it truly is a horrifying concept IMO.

Yes, the bugs would be insane. Can you imagine general chat of 250 people playing Skyrim?!

I don't see anything that TES can bring to the MMO concept. Frankly it's a fairly generic RPG with a pretty weak story and again, pretty weak combat. It's the open-world, do wtf I want, that makes it great. And since they're removing that from the MMO you're left with...nothing new or appealing. :(

Yes, the bugs would be insane. Can you imagine general chat of 250 people playing Skyrim?!

I don't see anything that TES can bring to the MMO concept. Frankly it's a fairly generic RPG with a pretty weak story and again, pretty weak combat. It's the open-world, do wtf I want, that makes it great. And since they're removing that from the MMO you're left with...nothing new or appealing. :(

Did you even read the game informer article?

They're talking about huge non-instanced, open-world dungeons.

Gigantic game world with unique leveling content for each of the three factions.

Non-themepark built world design

Huge, complex, DAOC-esque Frontiers with insane three-faction PVP/RVR.

Tons of "public quest" type events with exactly what you just mentioned ("do wtf I want" to the npc).

Capturable keeps/castles/supply camps that have actual meaning to your faction like they did in DAOC.

In-depth crafting

Customizable skill deck system that limits what abilities you can have slotted, but allows each one to be stronger in its own right, almost like The Secret World's "deck" system.

All the standard mmo stuff, too like instanced dungeons/raids/pvp battlefields/etc. still, as well.

This looks like the strongest contender to be a truly awesome MMO since the DAOC and UO days.

This. If these bankrupt subhuman corporate shitforbrains even THINK of going with ANY of the following, it will suck more cock than Sasha Grey and that is a fact:

1. Low IQ "Kill 10 pigs" and come back and get your little pat on the head for being a good little special ed student who needs his hand held quests. No one likes this, and if they do, who gives a shit.

2. Theme park bullshit. We played TES: Skyrim because we played it the way we wanted to play, a giant sandbox, and it worked. There is no reason whatsorever to have a limp dick, bankrupt theme park-based MMO. WoW is the only one to do it right, stop trying to copy them. People are bored with WoW, and they only leave WoW to get away from WoW-type gameplay. So. Stop. Trying. To. Copy. Them. You fucking retards. Skryim works because it's a SANDBOX.

3. Linear progression. No one wants linear progression where we just follow a fucking walkthrough without actually playing the game. None of us want your typical grindfest where we go through the motions to get a piece of armor. No one. And if they do, as I said before, who fucking gives a shit? TES caters to people who like to do it our way, not some pre-defined path.

4. Shitty graphics. And by shitty I mean don't give us none of those pussy excuses along the lines of "Our new graphics system is very sophisticated and our new "Surealism Anime" character design is an attempt to be more coherent to everyone who hasn't played any of the TES games"....which is nothing more than a corpspeak euphemism "we need this game to run on a computer built in 2003 so we get maximum coverage" grade A bullshit. Fuck you. You know, like what they did with SWTOR where they made it look like George Lucas anal raped Clone Wars?

I love MMO's, and I want to see an TES MMO. But I want it exactly as it is NOW, but with MP and a persistent world. I despise most theme park MMOs with an extreme hatred. SWTOR was ruined because of that for me, every other game the same thing. We want dynamic gameplay and a dynamic world. Skyrim did it, they should be able to do it.

But I am a misanthrope and bitter over how other games ended up after hoping they wouldn't, so here's my prediction which I know will be spot on: they will have all of the above that I listed. They will do this because they are bankrupt and they will play it safe like typical dickless wonders always do. And they will fail after the first few months and if they didn't come out as F2P, they will resort to F2P, and then die out a year later. Watch. Only a few companies actually have dicks between their legs, and this company doesn't even have a bulge showing, let alone letting it all hang out.

I've played so many MMO's over the years, and I see the pattern very well. SWTOR was the last time I ever let my fanboism out. I should have known better. Never again. When I see actuall gameplay footage, when I see the actual details of how the game is going to work, then and only then will I start following it.

EDIT: fuck me, just read the list. And I was 100% spot on. Fuck you Bethesda for letting your corporate overlords give the licence to those dickless wonders. Hero engine. Fucking pathetic. That's all I needed to read to know where this piece of shit theme park MMO is heading. Another great licence turned to shit.

Uh, this post isn't even accurate at all to what the list details, and Bethesda isn't the developer. The game sounds like a harkening back to DAOC and UO, the polar opposite of WOW.

Uh, this post isn't even accurate at all to what the list details, and Bethesda isn't the developer. The game sounds like a harkening back to DAOC and UO, the polar opposite of WOW.

What makes it sound like DAOC/UO?

It's going to have classes, not the open skill/lv system of TEs.

Combat is going to be hotbar/auto attack style.

No first person view, etc.

Everything I've seen on it nothing really grabs me as "UO/daoc."

Meh. First KotOR was ruined, I am hoping that the elder scrolls franchise does not follow suit.

Three factions in a TES game just doesn't make any sense. Should be FFA.

To me it looks like they're looking at guild wars, warhammer, wow, etc. and just grabbing a bunch of features from each one.

Three factions in a TES game just doesn't make any sense. Should be FFA.

To me it looks like they're looking at guild wars, warhammer, wow, etc. and just grabbing a bunch of features from each one.

I'm not sure about factions either, but TES has always been about the player being "the chosen one" or whatever. Doesn't really make sense for that to be the case for every one of thousands of people in the same world.

That said, you shouldn't be forced into a faction.

I have a hard time believing that this is not going to be available on consoles as well.

I'm not sure about factions either, but TES has always been about the player being "the chosen one" or whatever. Doesn't really make sense for that to be the case for every one of thousands of people in the same world.

That said, you shouldn't be forced into a faction.

Ahh okay. Yes i could see how factions could work, in the sense that they are like PVP battlefronts, and it's FFA until you enlist in one of the sides of the war (or something).

TES is all about being a lone wolf of pwange, imo.

I'm anxiously waiting on Skyrim Online :drool:

If they made it so that you can kill and loot anyone anywhere outside of town, like in Ultima Online, I would play!

If they made it so that you can kill and loot anyone anywhere outside of town, like in Ultima Online, I would play!

Too many kids would qq over a mechanic like this. It simply woudln't be popular for today's average gamer that likes to win without ever having learned to be pro.

Too many kids would qq over a mechanic like this. It simply woudln't be popular for today's average gamer that likes to win without ever having learned to be pro.

The main problem with looting and pvp in mmo's today isn't that it wouldn't "work" or wouldn't be "popular" it's that almost every mmo is EXTREMELY item/pve centric.

They use the EQ style "Carrot on a stick" routine where your main goal for playing is to get "uber loot" in order to kill higher lv mobs in order to geto even higher "uber loot" over and over, until you get to the end then you have to wait til the next expansion to get even higher "uber" loot.

With UO, equipment in igeneral was NOT what made your character, it was your characters own skills, how you had them built, and what you did during combat. It was a lot more player/character focused , equipment was the least major factor in pvp in UO. On top of this the equipment in UO wasn't for the most part "found" or "looted" in PVE, it was made by player crafters. The economy of UO was such that for the most part, even if you DID get full looted in pvp, you'd have a nice shiny full plate suit (or whatever) in your bank/house/storage that you could go get. Equipment wasn't priced so high that you'd lose your shiny sword/armor and then have to "grind" for hours to get it.

However when you mention looting, and pvp in today's mmo, people can't wrap their head around that, they think that items are ONLY like WoW, where it "makes" your character and you have to grind grind grind for them.

I have zero interest in the game, but I hope this doesn't negatively affect the TES SP series going forward.

Honestly, one of my favorite games -- KOTOR -- was made into a MMO and even that couldn't convince me to play an MMO. I will never play MMOs and I wish they'd stop trying to ruin perfectly decent SP experiences already. I'd rather be nickel and dimed for horse armor DLC than have all games turn into Multiplayer. JMO. I hope this is a one time thing, it fails, and the franchise continues as a SP experience.

You shouldn't have to be a "pro" to enjoy a game, though.

It seems to me the whole MMO thing has sort of run its course. Why is everyone trying to get in on this. Nobody can do it as well as Blizzard and it seems like all the other ones fail.

Back